Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Johnnville Hotel
Lloyd Rourke
You attempt to defuse the situation in favor of talking it out, but the Vultures looked annoyed with what you had to say. One even started to head back to there room, when Horatio shoved you aside and issued an ultimatum to the mercenaries.

Horatio
If grabbing the mercenaries attention was your goal, you succeeded. +25XP

You level your rifle at the group and their dismissive demeanor turned apprehensive. Schmitt looked at you with hate in his eyes, but he signaled for the other mercs to keep their cool with a wave of his hand.

"No need for that, stranger. While that is Canyon's knife, I've no god damned clue why it was in that boy's body. We've been holed up here for the night, waiting on answer from that priest in your group about his travel arrangements. You gun us down and you're going to stir up more trouble than it's worth, and you won't be any closer to figuring this poo poo out. You can check our rooms, but you or this hotel is going to reimburse us the room cost. We got a long day ahead of us and you woke us up out of our sleep with threats."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Deacon

Deacon steps forward enough to be seen, though remaining behind those more armed and more eager than himself.

"Now now now, don't read it that way. These are hardly my congregation, just curious souls in the same pursuit of retribution. And to the nature of our discussion, I'm afraid I cannot be agree'n to the terms, reasonable though they were."

Once back a step, he'd mumble quietly at Horatio's back.

"The lord'd look favorably on their passing. Both my lord n' yours."

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Zonta

"So...you say...someone...mystery...sneak into Vulture room. Steal most prized item off Canyon. Sneak back out. Kill boy with it. And then leave it there."

He sighed before continuing.
"Fact. Someone kill boy. Why kill boy?

Canyon have reason? Or Canyon have enemy, make look like Canyon kill? If so...why they kill boy, and why they make look like Canyon?"

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Horatio
XP: 7,528/10,000 Karma: +0 AP: 8 Rads: 0
AK-47 Rifle (24/24, 1d10+14N) / Brass Knuckles (1d10+5N)
HP: 52/52 AC: 11 N: 0/20 L: 0/15 F: 0/15 P: 0/5 E: 0/15

"You're still not giving me any reasons not to kill you where you stand." said Horatio. "You assholes are not in any position to make demands of us."

Rolling Speech (45%) to keep pressuring the Vultures into talking: 19, success!

Horatio indicated the knife on the floor. "Your boss. Your party. Your problem. Start talking."

I am seriously into opening fire on these guys. Who's with me?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I don't think a 3am execution in the hotel is going to go over well, regardless of our target.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

My character is severely into the idea but will probably offer no assistance, I am personally ambivalent to it. However it would be pretty in line with the character Horatio most resembles to me.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Inn
Group
Schmitt turned towards Zonta, "Canyon was staying in my room, he went with some of the others to the Shanties. He might have left some of his pack behind knowing I'd get it, but the only people that've been in my room have been Vultures and Inn Staff. We've pissed off more than a few people, but I can't think of any good reason for why someone would want to do this or frame Canyon in the process."

Horatio
+25XP

Schmitt spoke calmly, but his wrathful expression betrayed his words.

"Just put your gun away. Canyon's a mongrel same as the others. He keeps them in line, I keep him in line, but that murder isn't him. That's a message. To who or as to why? No idea, but how about we go to the shanties together. get Canyon's alibi and we'll be on our way. I don't think I'll be able to keep my cool if we stay in town much longer."

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Wait, I'm confused. I thought Canyon was the leader of the Vultures. Are you saying Schmitt is the leader?

It sounds like nobody else is too into shooting these guys. How about one or two of us keep these guys under guard while the rest go to the shanties to find Canyon?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Jackie Reed

The scene unfolding, Jackie keeps her gun at her side. Not pointed at anyone, not threatening, but present and visible. It looked like Horatio was about to go all OK Corral, and she didn't want to be caught empty-handed if it went that way. Still, after all of that arguing with Lloyd, it seemed like it shouldn't go down this way. So she raised her own voice.

"Well, then Schmitt, you claim you weren't involved, let's see if you can make good on that. Send one of your boys to get get Canyon and bring him here so as we can get down to the bottom of this. gently caress it, I'll even go with him. We get Canyon, we come back here, we sort this all out. But you ain't gonna cooperate, it is going to raise some pretty serious questions about why exactly you don't want to."

Yeah, after having it out with Lloyd, Jackie is probably not going to be into shooting them. She won't stop you, and if the shooting starts she'll use it as a justification to get involved, but right now she's just on the sidelines waiting for this to get more under control.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Lloyd Rourke
160 Caps, $1500, 6985 xp, Suit, Charm, Shades, Spiked Knuckles, (10mm w/ 104 Rounds), 50/50 HP

Johnnyville, Hotel:

Lloyd stood next to Jackie and whispered.

"I can't get a read on these guys. I guess while everybody's up in the commotion, I'll check around to see if the poor fella pissed anyone else off. Maybe someone clever enough to successfully pin this on someone else."

He's just canvassing the local area.
Speech, TN 110: 1d100 8

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Inn
Horatio
Canyon is a big-wig among the mercenaries. He keeps them in line, combat and open wilderness are his domains. Schmitt handles the day to day negotiating and planning. Although, the other's seem to follow his authority without question.

Jackie Reed
"That's fine by me. How about I send these two to go get him. He'll be pissed, but not as pissed as he'd be if it were strangers. If that's fine by you, I'll send them now so we can get this all sorted out."

Lloyd Rourke
+25 XP
Most of the hotel was awake at this point. The diner had opened early as well to accommodate the curious guests who could no longer make their way back to sleep. Some militia men gathered after word spread, but hearing that their own Jackie Reed was looking into it, they just hung around.

You hear rumors and bits of information, but a few people stuck out to you. Among them were Dana Summers; the staff member who had found the body, Ned Peters; a janitor and maintenance man, Twitch; A member of the Vultures and James O'Dello; A merchant who had recently made a more semi-permanent stay in the city.

You spent a little time talking to each of them and through the careful use of your words you learn a bit about them and their activities just before the body was discovered.

Dana says she was headed to the linen closet on your floor to set a room for a late night guests when she came down the hall and just found him like that.

Ned Peters hired on at the inn after Mossman had made a number of repairs during his previous stay. He's been keeping those patches in place. Ned appeared friendly, but he was definitely lying about his whereabouts prior to the incident. He claimed he was catching nap up until he heard Dana scream, but the alcohol on his breath makes you think he's only just now put down the bottle.

Twitch was spastic and had a hard time staying focused on what you two were talking about. Definitely a few screws loose, but he shared a bedroom with Canyon and Schmitt, however he wasn't in that room when Jackie called them into the hall. He eventually met up as the lobby filled.

James O'Dello spoke with you about how he had only recently come into town. He had rented a small property near the market. He claimed to have overheard a commotion and came looking, but he still hasn't cleared out of the hotel when he has a home not far from here.

You can probably talk to one or two of the curious town folk and use perception or intellect to try and decipher information from what you already know about them.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Deacon

Deacon's bid to relieve his worries of the slavers in his midst fell through rather quickly, though admittedly even he was swayed by Schmitt's reasoning, backing off with a half mumbled 'peace be with you.'

After a few minutes spent bumbling through his things, Deacon could be found down in the diner, waxing off the morning haze and milling with the locals, offering words of solace and generally taking in the mood.

It wasn't long before the sun started to blink a few creeping rays over the horizon that Deacon set to his usual ways, gathering up a stack of cards and beckoning anyone who would join to the table, though he strayed away from the more competitive and tense plays of poker or blackjack, leaning more on bridge and euchre and idle chatting to relive any sour moods. The only bid was that loser bought the next round of drinks or stale coffee.

Take in the mood PE TN 4: 1d10 6

I'm not sure if I need a speech roll to round up people for a card game, but if I do, it's here and it's hilariously bad

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Zonta

Zonta sees the Deacon pick up the cards and motion towards the rapidly deteriorating situation. He sauntered over, and sat with the Deacon, leaning over to whisper.

"You know cards? ....can teach? See play...don't get. Lose caps. All caps."

Zonta understands the concept of cards, but nobody's ever really taken the time to teach him any actual rules for actual games. Whenever he "played" the group would just randomly shuffle, pass, draw and deal cards around the table a few times before showing whatever cards they'd ended up with & pretending they had Zonta beat in order to clean out what meager funds he'd scrounged up to join in the first place, (correctly) assuming he didn't know any better.

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Horatio

"What, so they can warn your friend Canyon that we're coming, and help him hightail it out of here? Fat chance! If these two are goin'--" Horatio lowered his rifle and pointed his thumb at Jackie, "--her an' me are goin' too."

Quantum, you're on board with that, right? If not, do we have any volunteers?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Yeah, she'll go, but she wants to make sure someone is around detaining these guys thats can topple them if it goes bad.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Lloyd Rourke
160 Caps, $1500, 6985 xp, Suit, Charm, Shades, Spiked Knuckles, (10mm w/ 104 Rounds), 50/50 HP

Johnnyville, Hotel

Dana set the time past which it couldn't have occured, but was otherwise mostly unhelpful - at least in Lloyd's initial estimation.

Ned's suspicious as hell. Did he think Lloyd would somehow judge him for the late-night drinking, or was he trying to drown the memories of the horror he'd just done? He thought about it, and tried to take a surreptitious peek at both the man and his room as he canvassed the rest of the place. He was a techie, too - likely smart enough to plan something like the knife plant, even if he was insane enough to do it in the first place.

Twitch was obviously not the most trustworthy fellow, and he wasn't sleeping when they roused the rest of them. Had he been out after stealing one of his partner's knives?

And James was mostly all right, with the only odd thing being his sticking around a little too long. Maybe he just wanted to do what the old highway travel guides called "rubbernecking" - getting a good look at the grisly scene for a bit of a thrill and to satisfy his curiousity. Or maybe he was here to make sure that we weren't on his trail?

PER 7, INT 6: 2#1d10 4 6
Actually, I realize that would be PER 6, as he'd be unlikely to have his sunglasses on at night, but still two passes.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Inn
Deacon and Zonta
The man who went by Deacon headed to the bar and produced a pack of cards. A few people played along if only to soothe their frayed nerves, but could not concentrate, however he strikes up interest in the young tribalman Zonta.

The mood as far as you can tell is shocked. There were more than few people who opted for something stronger than coffee this morning. Although hushed whispers were occasionally heard, the inn was somber and mostly you sat in silence. Especially after the few people who were playing cards with you vanished.

"I'm sorry fellas', I'll pick up this round, but... I think it's time for me to pack up. A murder like this. This town isn't as safe as I thought." says a Henry Lear, a caravaneer who had been operating an assorted goods stall at the market for the last week.

When he leaves only you two remain.

Horatio & Jackie
Schmitt stifles a grunt. "Do what you want, not exactly in a place to do otherwise. Messer, will go with you. Canyon's sweet on her, kind of."

"gently caress you, Schmitt!" she shouted. As soon as Horatio lowered his gun she went to her room to retrieve her gear and then she met up with you, clearly irritated. "So, we going or what?"

Schmitt turned towards his room, "Am I free to play at sleeping while your gone or should I stay here in the hall with my thumb up rear end? Don't answer that." he says slamming the hotel door shut.

Lloyd Rourke
A number of things didn't add up, but as you spent time talking with them it became easier to pick up on what they were exactly, at least by your own intuition.

Dana seemed sincere in her reaction to the murder, but her details don't add up. She said she had retrieved some linens from the closet on your floor for late night guests, but when you found her she had no linens. There's a linen closet on the first floor, and who were these guests? There's more to her story than what she's saying, but did she commit the murder? Her husband arrived shortly thereafter and joined in on your conversation. He seemed legitimately concerned about the crime and sympathetic to death of Harold's son. His wife seemed disinterested in him being there.

Ned was most likely an alcoholic. You check his so called nap area and find more than a few empty bottles. Also the area was completely clean of anything curious. No blood, no traditional weapons. Just a man and his vices. Whatever his story was, you don't think it was attached to his.

Twitch, like Canyon and the other mercenaries are conveniently placed. Schmitt brought up the point that someone was sending a message. A likely suggestion, but you can't attach a good reason for why. If Schmitt is right, Twitch is likely not the murderer, he has no incentive or reason to send a message to Harold. He hardly seems in control of himself from the conversation you had with him. If it's not a message, and is instead madness, then a closer look at what exactly Twitch was up to before the murder might be of use.

James seemed straight enough, but something about his morbid curiosity is unsettling. You don't know if he committed the murder, but the more you talk with him, the less stable he seems.

All in all, you know Dana and Ned kept secrets. Dana's still not known, but she didn't seem to keen on her husband's sudden arrival. Ned's a vice. Twitch's name seems appropriately earned. When he was focused, he didn't seem all that interested in the murder. Also didn't seem affected by it. James seems kind and friendly, but he almost seems thrilled about the gruesome murder.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Jackie Reed

Jackie walks with Horatio and Messer to go find Canyon, and as she does she tries to strike up conversation with the would-be messenger. "So, you seemed like you had a bone to pick back there with those mercenaries. Something happen to you in your past, the sort of thing their types get mixed up in? Or you just got a bone to pick with everything bad and ugly in this world?"

It was late, and Johnnyville was mostly asleep, but the shanties weren't. Before long, they were standing in the front room of a full-on brothel, the likes of which Jackie would have never truly expected to see in her home town. She stood in awe for more than a moment, letting Horatio deal with Messer while she tried to figure out how a place like this had sprung up.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Lloyd Rourke

Johnnyville, Hotel

Dana was the most curious - her story added up the least, especially her reaction to her husband's arrival. James seemed content to stick around the scene, so he'd focus on Dana first. He headed back to his room to find Chrissy.

"Hell of a night to catch up, eh? Say, you know Dana at all? Did she know the mayor's son, or the mayor himself? Heh - seems a little miffed at her man's arrival, as well."

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Deacon

Deacon puts up his hand to stall what he felt was an incoming whisper, though never quite reaching the disruption of personal space he anticipated. Nothing else about his tone or tempter was anything approaching antagonistic towards the tribal.

"Sure sure... Lemme just... There." He'd laid out the cards on the table, working them into a well shuffled deck.

"Okay, so this here's a little game called Horse Thief. Guessin it'd be 'Percheon thief' these days but, well, anyways. It's a little like Euchre. Now we each get a hand of five cards, right, like poker or so, and the number of goes we play each hand, one card per person played each go. Now the dealer here, err, me, the one with the cards, when I'm done handing out the cards for everyone's hand, I draw another a place it right side up, like this here, and whatever suit it is, the shape and color on the face, that's the 'Trump suit'. The trump suit, well, guess I'll get to that inna bit. Each person plays one card going around the table, starting on the left and goin' clockwise right? And whatever suit is played the first, that's the lead suit, and when you play your card, you have to 'Follow Suit', y'see? But, if you have one that's of the trump suit, you can play that'n instead and the object is to have the highest card of the highest suit, with trump beating lead... Y'know, it'll make a little more sense here after a few goes."

The errant preacher pours over the colloquial minutiae of an otherwise simplified game of Euchre, likely boring the pants off of the only trader who'd calmed his nerve enough to sit with them. After a minute or two of coffee sipping and card flipping, Deacon spoke up again.

"Now... I understand how it is. The murder's quite a horrifyin' sight and all, and the intricacies of the matter have given it a perplexing bent, but still... it's hardly out of the ordinary. I can hardly set half a day without seein' it."

His speaking grew short, replenished by a swig of stale coffee.

"I ain't never seen a man die peaceful out in these wastes. Always lopped in half by a tippin' brahman, or spillin his guts from a pound'o buckshot nesting in his gut. Never seen a man die in peace. The lord took it from us, that right, a fair trade for our insolence... So I get the shock, I understand the righteous revulsion, I just don't get all the mopey souls wandering about like the spirit's been ripped right from em. Wallowing in the mire never seen no man justice. Seems like only the woman, the lawdog, and her friend in white felt they had the iron to do anything about it."

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Horatio

"Well, Messer. Where's Canyon?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Shanties
Jackie Reed
"No bones to pick. Maybe with Schmitt eventually, the prick. Canyon and I have been on and off. I thought he wanted more than what it was is all. Schmitt just likes to rub it in my face every now and again." Messer said.

Horatio
"He's bound to be in one of these rooms. I'll call him out." Messer told you, surveying the place with her hands on her hips.

Group
A tall slender woman, sporting tufts of hair and salvaged armor eyes you all warily as a round faced man approaches.

"Did I hear you say, you were looking for someone. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to ask that you wait for whoever it is your looking for. I can't exactly have you storming into rooms interrupting our customers." the man said. He looked back at his bodyguard who hadn't taken her eyes off of you all.

"Look man, we don't want no loving trouble. There's been a murder... CANYON!"

"Stop that shouting, I'm going to have to ask you to leave!"

Messer cups her hands and shouts louder, "CANNYOONN!!"

What do you do?

Johnnyville Inn
Lloyd Rourke
Chrissy looked up at you from the bed with a worried look on her face. "No kidding, I peeked out the room after you left and I can't imagine why anyone would do something so terrible. Dana, yeah I know her, she can be sweet, but she's two-faced. Word around town was that she was having an affair, but I never invested too much time into it. Her husband is real kind, a bit gullible though if he was fooled by Dana, talk to her long enough and she'll show her true colors." Chrissy told you before getting dressed.

"I don't think I'll be able to go back to sleep. Every time I close my eyes, I just see that body laying their like a pin cushion."

Deacon
+25 XP Gambling Instruction
"Heck, you've got a point, partner. I've seen many go on the trail, but usually by gunfire or a swift blow to the head. Ain't no peace to be had, but I ain't ever seen nothing done like this. I'd sooner see a row of piked heads than that." Henry said as he slid a handful of caps towards the bartender.

The bartender overheard your conversation. An older man who worked the morning shift.

"This type of stuff don't happen here son. People always coming in shot to hell, stabbed, beaten, you name it... But they come here like that. That trouble don't start in town. Guess most folk thought we were somehow invulnerable to the evils that extended beyond our borders. I did." He said sighing. "It was a good run I suppose." he said wiping dry a set of mugs.

Zonta
Your gambling skill permanently increases by 2.

Group
Sorry for delay. Holidays, vacation, doctor visits and laziness.

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Horatio

Horatio kept his rifle slung low, and addressed the round-faced man.

"Mister, there's been a murder. We think the murderer is stayin' here. The sooner we find him, the sooner we'll be out of your hair, and you can get on with your business."

Rolling Speech (45%) to buy us some time while we find our man: 53, failure.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Lloyd Rourke

Johnnyville, Hotel

"I'm sorry to hear that. Especially since I went and got myself mixed up in all this."

He held her close and sighed.

"Well, you can pal around with me while I play at lawman, if you'd like. Whenever I couldn't fall asleep on the road, I usually just kept on going until I tuckered out and my body went ahead and slept anyway, without my brain having the option to say no. Not the most healthy way to get some shut-eye, I'll admit, but it worked."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Shanties
Horatio
Horatio won't be able to try to persuade the brothel manager with speech anymore, but he may be able to reason with him with a raw ability check of CHA, INT or LUCK each with a +1 Difficulty to the Roll.

"And that's right awful, but what my customers do outside of this shack is none of my concern. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." he told you, crossing his arms and tapping his foot.

The guard stepped forward, one hand resting on the sawed-off that hung from her hip. "You heard the man. It's time for you all to go."

Johnnyville Hotel
Lloyd Rourke
Chrissy nuzzled her head against your neck and shoulder as you held her. She looked up at you and gave you a peck on the cheek before moving to your lips. Afterwards she stretched her arms as she yawned.

"Sounds like a plan, I'd probably have wandered around myself before too long." She said, gathering her belongings. Standing in the doorway she paused and looked back at you, "Lawman Rourke, huh? Has a nice ring to it." she said, smiling.

"So where to, Mr. Rourke?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Lloyd Rourke

Johnnyville, Hotel

"Well, unlike certain lawmen I'm acquainted with, I believe that you can get a lot more out of someone with a kind word than you can with a pistol. Dana's plenty suspicious, but maybe if she thinks she has a friendly ear... anyway, let's have another chat with her. Follow my lead."

He headed back over to Dana and lit a cigarette.

"I'd never speak ill of the dead, so to speak, but don't you find it interesting that assholes never die? I'm a newcomer myself, so I don't know this guy from Adam, but everyone has such -good things- to say about him. But none of us are perfect..."

Basically he's trying to needle a strong reaction out of her, whether it's "NO I WUVVED HIM" or "Yeah, fucker deserved to die." to see if she's still worth considering as a suspect, or if she's just pissed that her husband showed up because she was sleeping with this guy.
Speech, TN 115: 1d100 54

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Horatio
XP: 7,529/10,000 Karma: +0 AP: 8 Rads: 0
HP: 52/52 AC: 11 N: 0/20 L: 0/15 F: 0/15 P: 0/5 E: 0/15

Horatio glanced at the woman, then locked eyes with the round-faced man. "You think starting a fight with me is going to cause less of a scene than letting me do my job, you are sorely mistaken."

Rolling Cha (8) to call the pimp's bluff: 9, a failure.

Full of righteous fury, Horatio shoved the pimp aside and marched into the hall. "Go ahead," he said to the guard. "Shoot me. See what happens."

I think that as an agent of the Radiant King, Horatio is tasked with the dispatch of frontier justice. He's hopped up on divine empowerment, and believes that his god will protect him in the pursuit of a fugitive.

So yeah, he may be making some bad decisions right now.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Inn
Lloyd Rourke
+25 XP
It doesn't take much coaxing from you to get Dana talking. Her husband was across the lobby talking with other patrons. "He- He would have never hurt anyone, not intentionally, I don't know... We, we were together. I was going to meet him when I found him like that..." she said, wiping a stream of tears away. "...I just want to know who did this. I loved Abel, and I was going to leave my husband for him. Abel wasn't a bad man though!"

Chrissy whispers to you after there's some distance between you and Dana. "She seems sincere, but what do you think?"

Her husband came over shortly thereafter, "I don't know if we've been introduced. I'm Matt, my wife here is having some trouble coming to terms with the murder. I understand she was one of the first on the scene. Come on sweetie, let's get you seated."

Matt nods at each of you as he leads Dana into the lobby where she can regain her composure.

Johnnyville Shanties
Horatio
I rolled against luck
You start charging through the back when you find the stock of the sawed off shotgun swinging towards your face.

"Gunfire would be bad for business." The hired guard said as she swung.

You can roll an agility to move out of the way, endurance to just power through it, or strength to try and force it away from you all together. If the roll you take fails though, you'll be in a melee with the guard then everyone can act from sequence.

The manager of the brothel backs up against the aluminum siding that made the walls.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Jackie Reed

That question was actually meant for Horatio, not Messer. Whoops!

Jackie watches, behind and to the left of Horatio, as he fumbles through his demands and they go unmet. When he charges forward, she winces and draws, jamming the gun into Messer's back. She had been planning to play on her recent deputy role in these parts, push them all into behaving, but the man who had come with her seemed too headstrong to let it slow-play. At least she got a chance to watch him fight. She gripped Messer's shoulder tight, revolver barrel fixed to her back, and said, "Now we're gonna watch these two scuffle, and we ain't gonna do anything crazy while they do, right?"

Then, over Messer's shoulder, Jackie shouts at the melee, "Now you don't kill my boy there, just give him a whoopin' you think he's earned."

To clarify, Jackie has attempted to restrain Messer with threat of bullets to her spine if she resists, and she's going to let Horatio have his fist-fight with the security guard as a way to test his mettle. Also because she thinks that after it's resolved, if it goes okay, she might still be able to play up her lawman angle to get what she wants.

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Horatio
XP: 7,529/10,000 Karma: +0 AP: 8 Rads: 0
HP: 52/52 AC: 13 N: 0/20 L: 0/15 F: 0/15 P: 0/5 E: 0/15

Rolling Strength (7) to block the incoming attack: 7, success.

With a Karate maneuver that had been passed down from the King himself, Horatio narrowly blocked the incoming attack. He raised his fist in response, but hesitated at Jackie's words. "What? I thought you were on my side!"

I guess we're fighting now! Horatio's Sequence is 8. Rolling Unarmed (66%) twice to attack the lady guard (6 AP): 20 and 86, one hit for 10 Normal damage.

Spending 2 AP to increase AC from 11 to 13.

With a loud "Kiai!" Horatio struck the guard with a mighty blow.

Doc, can you describe the room we're in? I might want to get creative with the furniture.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Lloyd Rourke
160 Caps, $1500, 7010 xp, Suit, Charm, Shades, Spiked Knuckles, (10mm w/ 104 Rounds), 50/50 HP

Johnnyville, Hotel

"Yeah, she's bothered about her piece on the side dying, not about being found out for a murderess."

When Matt approached, Lloyd tipped his hat. He figured he'd leave the whole "your wife was going to drop you and marry the dead guy" for Dana to say, if she ever wanted to.

"Well, she was the one who found 'im, after all. You go ahead and take care, now."

So that left James - the curious one.

"Some sort of spectacle, huh? Probably not the best thing for business, but you'd know better'n me."

Speech, TN 110: 1d100 90

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

I've kinda lost track of the time scale here and where everything is in temporal relation to one another, but given that my little cards session was supposed to occur right after the confrontation in the hotel halls, could I feasibly turn up at the brothel right about now with no implied time fuckery? I just don't want to step ahead and wind up being completely out of whack.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Shanties
Jackie Reed
Sorry, my bad.

Messer tenses up when your steel meets her spine, and she quiets down immediately. She doesn't say a word in protest, and her hands fall slowly back to her sides.

Horatio
+35XP

You block the stock of the gun with a swift martial arts maneuver and land a retaliatory blow. She dodges your second attack and winds up landing a haymaker on the side of your face that nearly staggers you.

You take 7 6 points of damage!

The room you were in was a small waiting area. About 10' wide, 8' tall and 8' long. A cramped space with aluminum walls that were reinforced with scrap paneling on its exterior. There were two wooden chairs, a small couch and a refrigerator that hummed incessantly.

You and the guard fought at the mouth of a narrow hallway that joined up with three curtained off rooms.

As the fight picked up the the manager began pleading for you two to stop.

"That's enough! You're going to get somebody killed!" he said, backing away.

Deacon
Yeah feel free, essentially you all woke up in early morning-middle of the night, things progressed at the hotel for about an hour and after the round of cards you make your way to the Brothel following Horatio, Jackie, and the mercenary out of curiosity.

Johnnyville Inn
Lloyd Rourke]
Matt looked at you curiously for a moment, but he doesn't question it and Dana goes off with him, not before scowling at you as her husband looked away.

James had been meandering about the hotel inserting himself into conversations and listening in on the morbid gossip.

"Why, what do you mean by that Mister... Rourke, was it?"

"These mercenaries are bad for business, bad for the town if you ask me, and I bet they did this, bunch of loving savages if you ask me. I mean if you're asking me, I think they should be the ones that got what that poor boy did. Cruel. Just cruel isn't it?"

He seems weird, but he doesn't outright yield to your verbal prodding.

"Town hall meeting tomorrow, I bet he'll vote these sorry sacks of poo poo right out of town, but for good."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Jackie Reed

The fight partially resolved, Jackie narrows her eyes at the manager. Motioning with her gun (without it ever really leaving Messer as the target), she says, "Look, we're here on a murder investigation. I'm representing the Johnnyville sheriff's department, and we need Canyon out here for a series of questions in an ongoing murder investigation. Now you gonna bring him out here to have a quick discussion with us, or am I gonna have to go through your girl there to get you to play ball?"

Before the answer, she looks back over at the two forms mid-fight. "Y'all get that out of your systems? Did good, Horatio."

Speech (TN: 30): 1d100 51
Cha (TN: 5): 1d10 7
:ohdear:

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Shanties
Jackie Reed
You press your luck hoping that your reputation in the town would be enough to resolve the dispute outright, but the manager was swept up in the fight and didn't have a clue who you were. Clearly still new to your hometown.

"I just want to get you people out of here, before the customers come running to get their money back. Do your snooping on your own time and get this lunatic out of here!" he shouted.

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Horatio
XP: 7,566/10,000 Karma: +0 AP: 8 Rads: 0
HP: 46/52 AC: 11 N: 0/20 L: 0/15 F: 0/15 P: 0/5 E: 0/15

I just want to get the last word in, so to speak.

Doc, what I want to do game mechanics-wise is just attack the guard with my Brass Knuckles some more, but for entertainment purposes, Horatio will slam her into the fridge a couple times. I hope that's okay.

Horatio reeled back from the blow, and wiped the blood from his split lip on his sleeve. Then with a roar he charged at the guard's midsection, and slammed her bodily into the refrigerator. For good measure, he pummeled her some more.

Rolling Unarmed (66%) twice (6AP): 7 and 44, two hits for 10 and 14 Normal damage.

Spending 2 AP to move Horatio and the Guard next to the fridge.

"Stay the gently caress down!" Horatio shouted at the guard. Then he turned to the pimp: "Listen, you dumb, ugly gently caress! Give us Canyon and then we'll leave!" Horatio raised his bloodied fist at the pimp. "Unless you want some of this too!"

Doc, can I get a rough estimate on the guard's health? I don't want to kill her, maybe just bring her to about half her hit points.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Shanties
Horatio
+50 XP
You wail on the guard after you had pinned her against the refrigerator. The door flies open and a few bottles of beer and cola spill out. Her fight gave up and she hardly clung to consciousness as you turn your bloodied mitt towards the pimp.

"Alright, you win... Please just find your guy and leave, you've done enough, this is still a place of business!"

She's about a 1/2 health.

Group
The guard nearly unconscious and the pimp conceding to your demands, he doesn't protest as you make your way through the hallways examining each room for signs of Canyon.

You peel back the curtain and he nearly leaps at you, before he catches sight of Messer and Jackie. "The gently caress is all this about? Messer, that you? What in the hell is going on? Can't you idiots see I'm busy?"

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 15, 2015

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Jackie Reed

drat, I was gonna suggest we leave and try to sneak in the backdoor, but I guess that works instead!

With Horatio holding the guard, Jackie moves further into the establishment, her gun still on Messer. "Canyon, why don't you go ahead and come out and save us all a lot of trouble? Seems someone's implicated you in a would-be murder, and we'd like to talk a little with you about getting to the bottom of it. Now, we don't even think it's you, just want words is all."

She starts opening the doors, trying to catch sight of Canyon while keeping one eye on Messer.

Percepting (TN: 9): 1d10 5

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Lloyd Rourke
160 Caps, $1500, 7010 xp, Suit, Charm, Shades, Spiked Knuckles, (10mm w/ 104 Rounds), 50/50 HP

Johnnyville, Hotel

"I meant what I said - just trying not to sound like I know better'n you, is all."

Well, that left Twitch.

"Hell of a thing, isn't it? Your crew says that Canyon didn't do it. So how do you think his knife ended up there?"

Lloyd tried to listen intently to his response; maybe puzzle out something from what he said, but it was clear that the hours were beginning to catch up to him.

PER 6, INT 6: 2#1d10 7 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Johnnyville Shanties
Jackie Reed
+25 XP: Canyon isn't particularly armed, but he doesn't at all seem concerned about the predicament you all had placed him in. He has no weapons equipped, but a bandoleer of knives was draped across his chest when he is fully dressed. He also has a black eye.

Canyon may be regarded as a mongrel by his colleague, but he was sharper than he appeared. You don't live long as a mercenary without a little sense.

He grumbled under his breath as he tossed a sheet over the woman he was with and began dressing himself.

Sitting on the edge of the bed lacing up his boot he lifted his head up and looked at you through squinted eyes.

"Now who would want to pin a murder on me? I've pissed off a lot of folk, but they mostly just want to put a bullet in my head." he said, walking around the room grabbing what little belongings he took in with him.

"'Sides, you seen what I've been up to." he said, tilting his head back towards the bed. His expression was like that of a stone sculpture's. Nonchalant and rigidly cut.

He walks into the lobby and tosses two bags of caps towards the pimp. "Sorry for the trouble. This is for, this is for the girl. Make sure she gets it."

Walking towards the exit he paused and spotted Jackie's gun at Messer's back. He turned and looked at the bloodied guard who glared from across the room at Horatio. He chuckled.

"Well, let's get to it then." he said marching out of the Brothel into the Johnnyville streets.

Johnnyville Hotel
Lloyd Rourke
Twitch looked up at you nervously. He saw how you had been questioning other patrons of the hotel and knew what the stakes were for him and the other mercenaries in Johnnyville. At least in his own way he understood.

When you asked him about the knife he began to talk almost too fast for you to understand. His story lacked cohesion, but you siphoned through the bits and pieces of his fast-paced rambling as best you could.

Although, what you ended up with made little sense. You did however, learn about his interest in Canyon's knife.

"Look, Canyon didn't do it ok? I know he didn't do it. No loving way he did it, it's just not him ok? But, but, but look, right? So like the knife, he's always cleaning that knife and I told him. I could really use a knife like that, you know what he tells me? He says, 'Get one.' Ha-ha-ha he's a hilarious guy, really! Look, so I mean the knife, it's a nice knife. I like knives, I'm sure other people around here do."

• Locked thread