Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

A human heart posted:

You wouldn't know that from listening to it though would you, she might as well be singing about going to the supermarket for all the emotion in the actual song

Was she supposed to cry and sob while singing it or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

My 2LP came today, signed(!). Now I just have to find my name in the EP credits.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Anybody cop The Glowing Man leak? It's in the /mu/ archives.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The album's really good. It's a bit more laid-back than I was expecting it to be, but I'm glad that it has its own distinct identity rather than being To Be Kind Part 2. I'm not loving it as much as TBK but I'd put it on the same level as The Seer; the highs aren't as high as on The Seer, but it's more consistent overall.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Got my vinyl with the download code but the link doesn't work. Has anyone else been able to download from Young God, or is it just not actually up yet?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Decades posted:

Got my vinyl with the download code but the link doesn't work. Has anyone else been able to download from Young God, or is it just not actually up yet?

I had issues when I tried to get Body Lovers/Body Haters, just email them and they'll drop box it to you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heroinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Heroinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Methedrinnnnnnnnnnnne
Methedrinnnnnnnnnnnne
MDMMMMMMMMMMA
MDMMMMMMMMMMA

e: God drat I am so happy to have a studio version of Black Hole Man :rock:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 13, 2016

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

HorseRenoir posted:

The album's really good. It's a bit more laid-back than I was expecting it to be, but I'm glad that it has its own distinct identity rather than being To Be Kind Part 2. I'm not loving it as much as TBK but I'd put it on the same level as The Seer; the highs aren't as high as on The Seer, but it's more consistent overall.

Am I the only one who thinks The Seer is clearly better than TBK and Swans' best album? TBK felt a lot more scattershot to me; The Seer is just straight-up perfect from start to finish. It feels cohesive in a way that very few albums do to me.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Criminal Minded posted:

Am I the only one who thinks The Seer is clearly better than TBK and Swans' best album? TBK felt a lot more scattershot to me; The Seer is just straight-up perfect from start to finish. It feels cohesive in a way that very few albums do to me.

I would agree. To me The Seer feels like an album with a theme whereas To Be Kind feels like a collection of songs (albeit very good ones).

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Soundtracks will probably remain my favorite Swans album and a desert island disc.

Psyched to be seeing them in Chicago, even though I still haven't figured out a place to stay at. Also, the show starts at 11, probably to accommodate the people also attending Pitchfuck. Goddamnit.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm not sure if it's their best album, only because I have trouble comparing the quality of their various "eras," but I definitely think it's the best of the current lineup. To Be Kind is wonderful but I agree that The Seer feels extremely cohesive in a way To Be Kind just doesn't.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's possible I simply haven't listened to To Be Kind enough. It's not as if The Seer immediately clicked for me; I initially found it impressive but unwelcoming, until something turned in my brain and everything fell into place. It's probably my favorite album ever now. When I hear the nightmarish squalling on "95th Ave B Blues," the acoustic ending of "A Piece of the Sky," or the drum solo that closes out the album on "The Apostate," it all feels earned from everything that came before it. There's no moments like that for me on To Be Kind - yet - even though I love individual tracks, like "Just a Little Boy" and "Bring the Sun."

I'll have to revisit it...after I give The Glowing Man a good half-dozen listens, that is. Taking it for a second spin as we speak. :toot:

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
It's getting pretty lukewarm reviews with several reviewers acknowledging the rape accusations.

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/swans-glowing-man

quote:

We are, therefore, at something of an impasse when it comes to approaching his band’s music through the prism of his private life, since any attempt to form a conception of Swans’ 14th album in terms of his concrete existence is confounded by the uncertainty and equivocation surrounding the moral worth of this existence. What’s more, it’s this uncertainty as much as anything else that reveals how dangerous the task of weighing a musician’s art against their ethics can be, even if our status as moral agents and political animals arguably impels us to uphold ethical standards at the same time as aesthetic ones.

P4K's probably going to poo poo all over it. They didn't put Swans in the headline of their "albums you should be listening to today." I'm enjoying the album, but it feels like I'm doing so in a weird vacuum, and I'm having to ask myself if I'm a bad person for enjoying it, and then ask myself if I'm a sheep if I think I'm enjoying it less. I am failing at separating the art from the artist.

That loving groove at 18:16 in Cloud of Unknowing tho

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

modestmusashi posted:

P4K's probably going to poo poo all over it. They didn't put Swans in the headline of their "albums you should be listening to today."

That's a little tinfoil hat, given that the album is still listed in the article. Just not the headline.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Agreed, but I mean they gave their last two albums 9+/10s. When Radiohead posts something on Instagram it's considered breaking news.

E: If they felt the same way they did about Swans 2 years ago, they would prioritize them above a new Mitski record.

Poppy Nogood fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 17, 2016

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
The album's really good

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The whole pitchfork review is gonna be about the rape Allegations and have one paragraph about the actual music, 8.1 no bnm.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Whatever, the indie press is pretty fickle and stupid and not much they do makes a whole lot of sense.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

modestmusashi posted:

They didn't put Swans in the headline of their "albums you should be listening to today."

ah gently caress, this is an outrage

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This is a really silly album.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

i liked to be kind but this album is a huge loving slog

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
I started to really like this album after the third listen, but it loses track of itself a few time along the way.

It's a good album, but doesn't match up to To Be Kind or (especially) The Seer. The version of Glowing/Black Eyed/Black Hole Man on The Gate wipes the floor with the studio version.

Kinda hoping Gira re-rez's Swans as an AoL style project, but this run was great. Can't wait to see music critics shoehorn the Larkin stuff into their interpretation of this LP and deduct marks accordingly...

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

Spam posted:

The version of Glowing/Black Eyed/Black Hole Man on The Gate wipes the floor with the studio version.

Could not disagree more. The production and additional arrangements make that song so much more immersive on the album. The version on the Gate is just louder.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

8.1 from Pitchfork

It's not a 10! They hated it!!!!!!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Possibly Chicken posted:

The whole pitchfork review is gonna be about the rape Allegations and have one paragraph about the actual music, 8.1 no bnm.

:aaaaa:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
well, pitchfork is pretty predictable

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mutant Standard posted:

well, pitchfork is pretty predictable

The one shocking thing they have done is managed to underrate the most recent Radiohead album.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Well King of Limbs was kind of poo poo so they're slightly less sacrosanct than they were.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Setlist from the first show: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/swans/2016/union-transfer-philadelphia-pa-63ffee33.html

Seeing them tonight in Boston for the first (and possibly only) time, cannot wait!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They sounded great tonight! Weirdly, Thor wasn't there. They also had a keys player in tow, who I think was the pianist for Little Annie, the opener on the To Be Kind tour.

e: enjoy the original Swans page https://web.archive.org/web/19970415224725/http://swans.pair.com/

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 29, 2016

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Anyone wanna buy a standing ticket for the London show on 14th October? I bought the ticket a while back but I've realised I'm going to be on holiday then.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

sharktamer posted:

Anyone wanna buy a standing ticket for the London show on 14th October? I bought the ticket a while back but I've realised I'm going to be on holiday then.

I may do if I'm not lucky enough to get a press pass!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
OK I'll remember you, not gonna charge full price, just wanna make back as much as feels right.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Swans are playing The Knot in their recent live shows, is that a new song?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is that what that was? I saw them in Austin and I couldn't recognize the opening track.

Also shouts to the handful of teenagers who tried to start a mosh pit during "The Glowing Man" and immediately got chewed out by Gira

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah i read about the moshing. How do you mosh to that kinda material lol. And im going by setlist.fm. Aye, no idea what The Knot is.

Spam
Nov 28, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

It's a rework/expansion of No Words / No Thoughts based on the audio I've heard.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cool, thanks

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seeing Swans in a few weeks. Says doors are 7pm. Are they touring with a support this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Seeing Swans in a few weeks. Says doors are 7pm. Are they touring with a support this time?

Dunno if she's still with them but Okkyung Lee opened at the show I saw. If that's still the case don't miss her she's great

• Locked thread