Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

The rear end Stooge posted:

When I saw them in Oklahoma City in 2012, there was this dude who looked to be in his 40s but dressed like a teenager who kept bobbing around the crowd and bumping into people trying to get them to slamdance. Eventually Gira addressed him from the stage and made him promise to cut it out or he would be ejected.

Hahahaha, how do you slamdance to The Seer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

When I saw them in Oklahoma City in 2012, there was this dude who looked to be in his 40s but dressed like a teenager who kept bobbing around the crowd and bumping into people trying to get them to slamdance. Eventually Gira addressed him from the stage and made him promise to cut it out or he would be ejected.

I remember him. I wanted to put that fucker in a rear naked choke when Coward was playing. The eyes on Gira when he noticed this douche mid-song was great.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Listened to Filth today. Killed me. Not a good way to start your week. loving relentless. Can I skip to the Annihilator? Had to put on Drive soundtrack to cleanse my soul.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Listened to Filth today. Killed me. Not a good way to start your week. loving relentless. Can I skip to the Annihilator? Had to put on Drive soundtrack to cleanse my soul.

NO

Greed/Holy Money and Children of God are essential

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wait. Am I year late?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wait. Am I year late?

No reason not to dive in. I made my own schedule and am up to Love of Life and it's goin great.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Decades posted:

No reason not to dive in. I made my own schedule and am up to Love of Life and it's goin great.

That was the first thing I ever heard by them - I caught the video on 120 Minutes one night, and it was revelatory.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Their big shift in style starts are Children of God. If you're going to skip, skip there.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

A lot of Hermann Nitsch's composition work (proprietor of the aforementioned blood origies) is pretty consistent with the sound/dynamics of Swans, admittedly in a more avant garde/modern composition context. Like, pairing lovely punk bands with orchestras together to just make pure noise, or using a tank as an instrument. The Island and Das 6-Tage-Spiel Des Orgien Mysterien Theaters: Day 5 box sets are a great introduction, as is Musik Der 66. Aktion.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

El Miguel posted:

That was the first thing I ever heard by them - I caught the video on 120 Minutes one night, and it was revelatory.

Revelatory is right. It's pretty weird listening to their stuff and having these weird deja vu moments where they'll recall my favorite bands (Godspeed, NIN, Mogwai, Radiohead, MBV etc.), often at the most unexpected moments.

I can appreciate the earliest stuff, and I understand why Burning World is the unwanted misfit album, but regardless working through them chronologically I've really enjoyed each more than the last.

Real curious to see whether that trend holds or if the middle period will stay my favorite in the end. The fact that I've been working through Swans for weeks and have yet to scratch their no fewer than three massive double studio album works is baffling / humbling / amazing.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wait. Am I year late?

Yes. Stop whining. And don't forget the live albums. This is one of the few bands where the live records are often better than the studio albums.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
It has come to my attention that Swans will be playing a free show at something called NXNE in Toronto on June 20th.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

It has come to my attention that Swans will be playing a free show at something called NXNE in Toronto on June 20th.

Yeah they are opening for St Vincent. Set time is 7:40.

Neonman
Aug 17, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't know how this makes me feel, since I can listen to Filth casually, whether I'm on my way to work or doing chores or killing hookers or working on uni assignments.

God Of Paradise posted:

Yes. Stop whining. And don't forget the live albums. This is one of the few bands where the live records are often better than the studio albums.
I agree. I've been listening to 'Public Castration is a Good Idea' a lot lately (since I saw A Long Hard Screw recently) and I'm totally annihilated by it. I'm not a big fan of Holy Money or Greed, so it's good to hear those electronic, down-played, repetitive songs be injected with the raw intensity of Filth and Cop, yet it's even more brutal. I wish I could've seen them live in that time, though I did see them when they played in Australia and that was a great show.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Weird band. Completely atypical in their trajectory.

30 years after their first album, they put out their best record. The new one is amazing as well. This is the period when most acts are doing one last old-man reunion tour as a nostalgia cash grab. Swans? They put out their best record and quickly make another that's just as good.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

Weird band. Completely atypical in their trajectory.

30 years after their first album, they put out their best record. The new one is amazing as well. This is the period when most acts are doing one last old-man reunion tour as a nostalgia cash grab. Swans? They put out their best record and quickly make another that's just as good.

I met Gira briefly and he told me he has no intention of slowing down. I've heard the new material, Black Hole Madness is their new "big song" I believe. It's a loving powerhouse, more so than The Seer. He said it was a vicious circle because his tours are both where he promotes the new album as well as writes the next one, so as long as he's touring, he's working on new material.

Bo Jackson
Jul 23, 2013
I'm a big fan of everything Swans has done since 2010 (as well as Soundtracks for the Blind) and took it upon myself to check out the rest of their stuff. I've gotten through their first three albums in the last few days and unfortunately I can't say I'm a fan. They're wonderfully aggressive but I like their more recent post-rocky sound a lot more. Maybe I'm just a big baby.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Bo Jackson posted:

I'm a big fan of everything Swans has done since 2010 (as well as Soundtracks for the Blind) and took it upon myself to check out the rest of their stuff. I've gotten through their first three albums in the last few days and unfortunately I can't say I'm a fan. They're wonderfully aggressive but I like their more recent post-rocky sound a lot more. Maybe I'm just a big baby.

You might want to check out their 90's stuff like White Light and Love of Life. It's a lot lighter in tone and more reminiscent of Gira's acoustic stuff.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Bo Jackson posted:

Maybe you didn't hear with the right speakers/headphones. First time I heard Filth was on some headphones that have some really strong bass output so the music felt like solid objects and that blew my mind.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is really late notice, but Swans are playing a show tonight and broadcasting it live on Yahoo Screen for those who can't attend: https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/swans

It's supposed to start in about 10 minutes, I think. (10:15pm PST)

e: And so far all it's been is gong. Nothing but gong.

But oh wait, here comes Gira!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 5, 2014

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Still rocking out to the live cast, I bet it's going to be on Youtube before long.

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?
'Filth' has been remastered for both vinyl and CD and is now available for preorder! It is going to be released Oct. 28th!

And, of course, it comes signed by Michael Gira!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm guessing this is more a thing for people that wanted physical versions of this record but stuff like the amount of details you can listen in the music is basically the same right?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

On the new vinyl remaster you can really hear Gira's contempt for you, the listener.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014

program666 posted:

I'm guessing this is more a thing for people that wanted physical versions of this record but stuff like the amount of details you can listen in the music is basically the same right?

Remasters usually sound better. I personally have the best setup speaker-wise hooked up to my turntable, so blasting that bad boy will be a fresh treat. Now, if anyone claims that "you really haven't heard it until you've heard the remastered vinyl," you can confidently ignore that person

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

modestmusashi posted:

Remasters usually sound better. I personally have the best setup speaker-wise hooked up to my turntable, so blasting that bad boy will be a fresh treat. Now, if anyone claims that "you really haven't heard it until you've heard the remastered vinyl," you can confidently ignore that person

I currently have a really lovely download of Filth, so I'm looking forward to owning a proper remastered copy to blast on my stereo when it's out of storage.

I listened to To Be Kind again today and it's still brilliant. I've listened to this one loads more than I listened to The Seer.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

On the new vinyl remaster you can really hear Gira's contempt for you, the listener.
What happens when you play it backwards?

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014

Mutation posted:

What happens when you play it backwards?

You hear a perpetually looping alternative version of Cher's "Love After Love"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

New tour dates up, tickets for the Chicago show go on sale Friday.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They're coming here in April. I am ready for my ears to bleed :getin:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just got tickets to the Baltimore show.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'll be seeing them in Brooklyn! Absolutely terrified.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Wear comfortable shoes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i got my Filth reissue in the mail. it's real good & signed by Gira.

wish they were coming around here on this tour :( don't be scared to see them, just bring a good pair of earplugs. i find the wall of sound kinda soothing in a way.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Seeing them in Chicago, can't wait!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
They'll be at the drill festival in Brighton this Sunday. Gonna be an amazing weekend.

Should get my tickets for the London show too but that's all the way in May.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Never listened to Swans before, but I'm going to try to get into them. I have no idea what to expect other than 'depressing' and 'post-rock', so I'm looking forward to this. I'm guessing that I should start at Filth?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Akarshi posted:

Never listened to Swans before, but I'm going to try to get into them. I have no idea what to expect other than 'depressing' and 'post-rock', so I'm looking forward to this. I'm guessing that I should start at Filth?

Both "depressing" and "post-rock" are wrong. It's more like music for BDSM dungeons. Filth is not a bad place to start but their first couple albums are really different from the later stuff. I'd start with some combo of Filth (Cop if you're feeling brave), The Seer and White Light From The Mouth of Infinity, that covers most of the bases.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Akarshi posted:

Pick up this year's record. It's the number one most critically acclaimed album released in 2014 according to sites that aggregate reviews.

I've listened to Swans for the past seventeen years. I saw them as a teenager on their final tour in 97. I saw them in 2012 touring The Seer material. In between I've caught Angels of Light twice.

I've listened to every album Gira has ever released to the public. And I can tell you their best studio album is probably The Seer.

My favorite is what I figured to be their final record of their final tour, Swans Are Dead. But that's because they're better live than on album.

The only Swans albums I'm not fond of are My Father Will Guide Me A Rope Up To The Sky, and Kill The Child.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

Pick up this year's record. It's the number one most critically acclaimed album released in 2014 according to sites that aggregate reviews.

I've listened to Swans for the past seventeen years. I saw them as a teenager on their final tour in 97. I saw them in 2012 touring The Seer material. In between I've caught Angels of Light twice.

I've listened to every album Gira has ever released to the public. And I can tell you their best studio album is probably The Seer.

My favorite is what I figured to be their final record of their final tour, Swans Are Dead. But that's because they're better live than on album.

The only Swans albums I'm not fond of are My Father Will Guide Me A Rope Up To The Sky, and Kill The Child.

That surprises me, I thought The Burning World was widely agreed to be atrocious. I quite like My Father.

• Locked thread