Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can't you get the exact model number off the sticker on the chassic (maybe the bottom), then punch that in to the HP site for exact specifications? That should fix the mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
HP is annoying and doesn't have that system, only Dell and Lenobo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, that's the one. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow so I'll have a better idea then, but just going from the specs the machine should have absolutely no problem doing the Zoom/Office/browser combo.

The thing arrived (HP Envy x360 linked above in the thread) and I was setting it up today, and it's a nice machine. I have ordered replacement RAM since I don't feel like 8GB in a 6-core/12-thread machine is enough. The Ryzen 5 5625U is snappy as hell, and the integrated Radeon processor seems okay and can probably handle older, less-demanding games. It does have 2x4GB memory installed, so I had to buy a 2x8GB kit to replace it which should arrive next week - I'd been hoping it did have an open slot, but they're both populated. I haven't had a chance to fully benchmark and try the machine out, but so far I'm happy with it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, that's the one. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow so I'll have a better idea then, but just going from the specs the machine should have absolutely no problem doing the Zoom/Office/browser combo.

Great. Its a big hit, I actually like the touchscreen part of it since I hate trackpads. Seems like 2 in 1s have come a long way since I last looked at one

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Beast Pussy posted:

I just popped down to the best buy to take a look at the HP, and it's enormous. I think I probably should've said 11-13 inches instead of 15.

I saw this while I was there, how does this stack up against the costco one?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6502221

poo poo, I missed you said you wanted smaller. A few people before you were saying they wanted 15" so I just assumed.

The Yoga line is good, though only 8GB of RAM is a bit of a concern. I believe the Yoga 6 has soldered ram so no upgrade option.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Lockback posted:

poo poo, I missed you said you wanted smaller. A few people before you were saying they wanted 15" so I just assumed.

The Yoga line is good, though only 8GB of RAM is a bit of a concern. I believe the Yoga 6 has soldered ram so no upgrade option.

No worries, I'm grateful for the help. I'll probably hold off if the yoga isn't great. Like I said, I'm not in a rush, so I might just keep an eye on the thread for a bit and see if anything perfect springs up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Beast Pussy posted:

No worries, I'm grateful for the help. I'll probably hold off if the yoga isn't great. Like I said, I'm not in a rush, so I might just keep an eye on the thread for a bit and see if anything perfect springs up.

Honestly, I feel like a 16GB Yoga or Flex is pretty likely to go on sale. Check slickdeals.net every once in a while and maybe do a search for 2-in-1 to see whats around.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Beast Pussy posted:

Lockback posted:

Honestly, I feel like a 16GB Yoga or Flex is pretty likely to go on sale. Check slickdeals.net every once in a while and maybe do a search for 2-in-1 to see whats around.

And here it is. Didn't take long.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15922480-l...s?src=frontpage

Depending the ship time this is a really, really good deal

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Lockback posted:

SWEET! Just started looking for a laptop today and this is definitely in my price range.

Before I pull the trigger - my primary concern is video conference quality. I plan on using this machine to start a full-time independent notary gig which will mean a lot of Zoom-style video conferences for remote online notarizations. To this extent, would it be worthwhile to upgrade the processor to the i7 for $132?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That is an insane amount of computer for the price and no, I don't think the i7 is worth it over an i5 when comparing the u-series alder lake chips. Spend the money on beer and pretzels (or whatever idk that's what I'd spend it on).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I'm looking to get a new laptop to replace mine, partly as a backup while I finish my dissertation and partly to carry me over once I'm done and working. This is the newer version of the one I have now, https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-10750H-Dual-Channel-PH315-53-72XD/dp/B08842D7JS?ref_=ast_sto_dp.

I do need something with a decent video card for presentations/graphics work, and I do use it to play games but not FPS's so if it's not the latest graphics card that's fine. I just want something that will last a few years so 16 gigs of RAM and a 512 GB SSD are the minimum. Is there a better value one that can do the same kind of thing? Thanks.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Lots of better options than a 10th gen intel and 2060 for $1200.

The Asus Strix G15 AMD advantage edition is $1250 at best buy right now. The 11th gen intel TUF is $1000 with a 3060.

I could probably find you a lot more later when I get out of work.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mental Hospitality posted:

Lots of better options than a 10th gen intel and 2060 for $1200.

The Asus Strix G15 AMD advantage edition is $1250 at best buy right now. The 11th gen intel TUF is $1000 with a 3060.

I could probably find you a lot more later when I get out of work.

Please do if you can, I'm hoping to get it this weekend due to a huge rear end job interview early next week.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Sounds like you're planning on picking up a machine right away. Are you in the U.S.? Have a Best Buy or MicroCenter local? Costco membership?

ASUS - TUF DASH 15.6"
Intel 11th Gen i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 - 512GB SSD
1000USD

Acer Nitro 5 15.6"
12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700H - GeForce RTX 3060 -16GB Memory - 512GB USD
$1200USD

Asus ROG Strix Advantage Edition
AMD Ryzen 9-5900HX - 16GB Memory - Radeon RX 6800M - 512GB SSD
1250USD
(I have basically this machine but with an RTX 3060, and the RX 6800M should be even better. I really like mine)

Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH7H 15.6"
AMD Ryzen 7 6800H 3.2GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR5-4800 RAM; 1TB Solid State Drive
$1300
(this looks like a rather nice machine too)

I tried looking for a few machines with newer and better hardware than the one you linked for 1300 dollars or less. As far as gaming laptops go, I feel like Asus and Lenovo are pretty known quantities around here. I can't speak for Acers machines personally. NotebookCheck reviewed an Acer Nitro 5 recently and while they found the performance good, it was deemed to be a rather loud machine under load. Same usually applies to HP's gaming laptops. But really, this is often times usage dependent. The preinstalled software on these gaming machines that alters CPU power draw plays a big part in just how hot and loud they get. I find my Asus performs all everyday mundane tasks basically silently when set to its lowest power mode, and it is not crippled in the least. And I've noticed a trend now that Alder Lake (12th gen Intel) chips are working their way into laptops; they can perform crazy good with all their cores, but also swill electricity and create a lot of heat. I still like AMD in the mobile space unless absolute max CPU performance is needed, as ryzen has proven efficiency.

If you feel like you could live with a little less GPU performance than an RTX 2060 or 3060, there are cheaper machines. You said you'd probably want to keep the machine for a few years though and since you're stuck with the GPU that comes with the thing, might as well get the most bang for your buck and buy a little bit of headroom in that regard.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 22, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Out of those I like the strix and the legion the best

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Lockback posted:

Out of those I like the strix and the legion the best

Same, and if I didn't already have my Asus, that Lenovo would probably be my pick. Next gen ryzen architecture and DDR5. Has the benefit of having the strongest integrated graphics you can get at the moment which probably flies on older titles. Could do a lot without even needing the dedicated gpu.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

mobby_6kl posted:

I was looking to replace it with either the OneNote 4 (which is good but too expensive for a travel toy) or this new Chuwi MiniBook X:

https://store.chuwi.com/products/minibook-x?sca_ref=1075383.Gjt2ZMkWAM&sca_source=techtablet
I feel like this is pretty garbage.

Overheats instantly and intensely, depletes its battery within an hour or two (just browsing online and editing documents), terrible keyboard layout (possibly an issue of getting used to it), the touch screen is apparently intended to be used with a stylus and only responds to your touch when you're typing on the keyboard and don't want to use the touchscreen.

No actual mouse \ usb connection, bluetooth \ stylus only.

Also, I have no idea how to get it to recognize a PC it's connected to via cable to transfer files, but that might be just me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

I feel like this is pretty garbage.

Overheats instantly and intensely, depletes its battery within an hour or two (just browsing online and editing documents), terrible keyboard layout (possibly an issue of getting used to it), the touch screen is apparently intended to be used with a stylus and only responds to your touch when you're typing on the keyboard and don't want to use the touchscreen.

No actual mouse \ usb connection, bluetooth \ stylus only.

Also, I have no idea how to get it to recognize a PC it's connected to via cable to transfer files, but that might be just me.
I've since ended up buying it when it went on sale. It's not amazing but I'm reasonably happy at the price.

Battery life isn't great but I've gotten 5-6 hours from it before, it's probably Windows running updates or doing some dumb poo poo in the background if it really depletes in a few hours and gets very hot in normal use. Keyboard layout it eh but it's a 10" laptop so there's always going to be weirdness.

The touchscreen is something I have no issues with. Very responsive and accurate, multitouch works perfectly fine. Might be a defect with your example. The stylus isn't good though, that was disappointing because my mom's Chuwi tablet is very good. Has serious issues with diagonal lines, but works just well enough for a quick note on a PDF or something, which is all I needed it for.

There are two Type-C ports which is the same as a Macbook air lol. There's definitely space for a few USB-A ports though so they definitely cheapened out on that. There what seem to be some unpopulated headers and connectors on the motherboard so it might be possible to attach an RF dongle internally. I just use a BT Logitech mouse though.

No idea about connecting it to another PC with Type-C though, never tried that before but yeah it doesn't do anything. I did everything over WiFi which is pretty fast.

tl;dr: It's a bit more compromised than I expected even from a cheap Chinese laptop, but still fine for my purpose. YMMV though and I'd definitely be careful about suggesting it to anyone who doesn't know exactly what they're getting. The OneNetbook 4 is certainly going to be a better similar machine... if you don't mind spending 3 four times more

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 22, 2022

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mental Hospitality posted:

Sounds like you're planning on picking up a machine right away. Are you in the U.S.? Have a Best Buy or MicroCenter local? Costco membership?

Asus ROG Strix Advantage Edition
AMD Ryzen 9-5900HX - 16GB Memory - Radeon RX 6800M - 512GB SSD
1250USD
(I have basically this machine but with an RTX 3060, and the RX 6800M should be even better. I really like mine)

I tried looking for a few machines with newer and better hardware than the one you linked for 1300 dollars or less. As far as gaming laptops go, I feel like Asus and Lenovo are pretty known quantities around here. I can't speak for Acers machines personally. NotebookCheck reviewed an Acer Nitro 5 recently and while they found the performance good, it was deemed to be a rather loud machine under load. Same usually applies to HP's gaming laptops. But really, this is often times usage dependent. The preinstalled software on these gaming machines that alters CPU power draw plays a big part in just how hot and loud they get. I find my Asus performs all everyday mundane tasks basically silently when set to its lowest power mode, and it is not crippled in the least. And I've noticed a trend now that Alder Lake (12th gen Intel) chips are working their way into laptops; they can perform crazy good with all their cores, but also swill electricity and create a lot of heat. I still like AMD in the mobile space unless absolute max CPU performance is needed, as ryzen has proven efficiency.

If you feel like you could live with a little less GPU performance than an RTX 2060 or 3060, there are cheaper machines. You said you'd probably want to keep the machine for a few years though and since you're stuck with the GPU that comes with the thing, might as well get the most bang for your buck and buy a little bit of headroom in that regard.

Thanks, I went with the Asus one you linked. My local best buy had to ship it, but it's supposedly getting here tomorrow. I'm planning on getting a desktop next year after I'm done, so even if it only buys me that year I'll be fine. If it's not super loud or hot I'll be ok, just need reliable that will last. Surprisingly the amount of software I have to have open to make a chemistry presentation is a lot and it's pretty graphics intensive so this should be good.

Thanks for the help!

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Just wanted to pop back in and thank you goons for all your help. Goons are good folk.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lockback posted:

lmao, god drat it sis, she did the same thing again! (oh that's great i'll buy that! then not doing so until it expires). if you guys see good ones still i still appreciate it

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

seaborgium posted:

Thanks, I went with the Asus one you linked. My local best buy had to ship it, but it's supposedly getting here tomorrow. I'm planning on getting a desktop next year after I'm done, so even if it only buys me that year I'll be fine. If it's not super loud or hot I'll be ok, just need reliable that will last. Surprisingly the amount of software I have to have open to make a chemistry presentation is a lot and it's pretty graphics intensive so this should be good.

Thanks for the help!

I think you'll like it. Use the (admittedly garish looking) armory crate software that comes pre-installed. You can turn off the RGB lights if you find such things obnoxious, and disable the dorky boot up sound through there as well. The different power profiles (Silent, Balanced, Turbo) really do make a big difference in terms of heat and noise generation. Mine stays on silent most of the time as I spend a lot of time just in browsers and streaming video and it's whisper quiet. Even under CPU/GPU load in the higher power profiles, I've had much louder high-end laptops. I'd describe the fans as more of a "whoosh" sound, and not so much "hairdryer on max". The included Dolby software for audio is highly tweakable if you like that sort of thing, I've found after fiddling with it that it has surprisingly good audio output.

I've had mine over a year now and it's been dead reliable. It's been my main machine for everything from the mundane to some pretty taxing gaming. Upgraded from Win10 to 11 in that time. Never bothered doing a clean windows install which used to be almost a requirement on computers.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 22, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The thing arrived (HP Envy x360 linked above in the thread) and I was setting it up today, and it's a nice machine. I have ordered replacement RAM since I don't feel like 8GB in a 6-core/12-thread machine is enough. The Ryzen 5 5625U is snappy as hell, and the integrated Radeon processor seems okay and can probably handle older, less-demanding games. It does have 2x4GB memory installed, so I had to buy a 2x8GB kit to replace it which should arrive next week - I'd been hoping it did have an open slot, but they're both populated. I haven't had a chance to fully benchmark and try the machine out, but so far I'm happy with it.

As a follow on, I received and installed the 2x8GB kit yesterday and installed it, and aside from pulling up a rubber foot that apparently I didn't need to on this model (the instructions I followed were for one that had hidden screws under the foot, which this one doesn't have) the whole process was really fast and easy. Got the RAM in, memtest86 came back clean, and the machine is benching higher than it did before with the original RAM. I feel like I got a hell of a deal on this thing for $439 (it was $499 but I got $50 off for it being open box and another $10 by using Best Buy gift certificates I had built up) when it's now back up to $799: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...8&skuId=6502184

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Bought a used Thinkpad T14s gen 2 on my local marketplace for 450 dollars. Intel i5, 16gb ram, 256gb storage. This is pretty decent, right? Going to use it for general office stuffs and for non MacOS software. I'm awaiting delivery so it's yet to see if I've been scammed, but the seller seemed pretty reputable.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Looks solid to me, enjoy!

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Hello laptop thread, im looking for recs for a laptop for my wfie. Portability important, windows, and she'll be doing some video editing, lots of audio editing and she says some data/maps work but thats a bit vague, she's not sure what form it will take...

Sorry if this q is answered all the time

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Price? Mac/PC? Country, screen size

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dirty Frank posted:

Hello laptop thread, im looking for recs for a laptop for my wfie. Portability important, windows, and she'll be doing some video editing, lots of audio editing and she says some data/maps work but thats a bit vague, she's not sure what form it will take...

Sorry if this q is answered all the time

Probably at least 16GB ram, unless she needs more (more won't really help anything unless she needs it for the video/audio editing). I'm not super sure what kind of CPU she'd need for audio editing but it's guess most modern would do.

I'd maybe say spec out a Thinkpad T14? The AMD is a better value in general there. If you had a price range in mind it'd help.

Something like this: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpadt/thinkpad-t14-gen-3-(14-inch-amd)/21cf003wus

Lockback fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 26, 2022

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Price? Mac/PC? Country, screen size

I'll be a bit vague on price and say we don't want to pay overs but it's not the main concern.
Country is France.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Thanks I'll have a play around with this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dirty Frank posted:

I'll be a bit vague on price and say we don't want to pay overs but it's not the main concern.
Country is France.

The Thinkpad T14 or a Dell XPS 13. I usually think the XPS's are overpriced for what they are, but those are probably the two that are worth looking at.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The Amazon refurbished ThinkPad T470 I just bought on Goon recommendation is very nice. Excellent construction and keyboard quality. After installing all the available updates and rebooting the screen was no longer working. After multiple reboots failed to clear the error, I downloaded the Lenovo Beep Code app to diagnose the beep melody on bootup and it told me it was "Computer Display Error". The keyboard lights were still responding, so I plugged in an external monitor and found a display driver update available under Windows Update. After installing that and rebooting, it's been trouble-free for a couple days.

I was on the verge of sending it back for replacement, but it appears fixed. A lot of users would have absolutely sent it back to Amazon.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For those looking for good 2-in-1s, this one is more expensive but it's a very nice laptop for the price. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6502223

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Which docks work well with multiple brands? It needs to work on an M1 Macbook Air, Intel Thinkpad T14s, HP Elitebook X360 and a Dell XPS. I don't think I need something too fancy, other than support for two monitors and enough USB and USB-C ports to connect a reasonable amount of peripherals. At the moment I only have one monitor, and I know that's the max the MBA can support. 2+ monitor support is rather for future proofing.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've not really had issues with anything in particular made in the last 2 years. From $30 Chinese docks to $400 dell docks

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Aware posted:

I've not really had issues with anything in particular made in the last 2 years. From $30 Chinese docks to $400 dell docks

Good to hear. A few years back I needed different thinkpad docks to work for different thinkpad models. And I currently have a Satechi multi port adapter that sometimes cause crashes on my HP laptop

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flyndre posted:

Which docks work well with multiple brands? It needs to work on an M1 Macbook Air, Intel Thinkpad T14s, HP Elitebook X360 and a Dell XPS. I don't think I need something too fancy, other than support for two monitors and enough USB and USB-C ports to connect a reasonable amount of peripherals. At the moment I only have one monitor, and I know that's the max the MBA can support. 2+ monitor support is rather for future proofing.
I have the Lenovo TB3 Gen2 dock and it works with all my PCs, either in Thunderbolt or for older stuff it seems in normal USB-C alternative mode. Didn't work with my S22Ultra at least before I did a firmware update, haven't tested it since. No problem running a 1440p monitor at 165hz and a second 1080 screen.

E: still doesn't work with the phone.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 28, 2022

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I have the Lenovo TB3 Gen2 dock and it works with all my PCs, either in Thunderbolt or for older stuff it seems in normal USB-C alternative mode. Didn't work with my S22Ultra at least before I did a firmware update, haven't tested it since. No problem running a 1440p monitor at 165hz and a second 1080 screen.

Thanks for the suggestion! It doesn’t look so badly priced either (like 150 dollars used in my local market)

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

i second this, i have a thunderbolt 3 dock that i purchased through work, it worked great on my T470 and it works on the m1 macbook pro (only one screen though thanks apple).

the dock recharges the computer so its one cable that goes from the dock to the laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
Hey thread.

Currently, I have this laptop which is on its way out and I am maybe looking for a replacement.

I am looking for something to mainly game on, no AAA titles at 4k, no esports at 240+ FPS, no VR, nothing demanding like that. I mainly play MMOs and a random other game here or there, but I am fine with 1080p +60 FPS most of the time (if I can get more, that's good too). I haven't been keeping up with new tech for the past few years so I have no clue what I should be looking for. Also, I'd want something at least at the same level as my current laptop, but preferably a bit better because why not.

Current budget is roughly in the USD $1500-1800 range but maybe could go a bit higher depending on what is suggested.

Main concern is good performance for the price range and quality control. I don't want my laptop dying after a year or two.

Any suggestions?