Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«591 »
Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Alright let me ask in a way that's less useless.

I'm looking for something with a 1070/1080 that ideally will handle AAA for the next 4ish years, not planning on VR, and ideally doesn't run at the temperature of the sun or weighs 500lb. I'm moving continents next year or I'd probably just grab a tower.

I'm not super fussed about screen size either as I will probably hook it up to a monitor.

Ideally I'd like something mid pricerange but I can splash a little bit if I tactically organize my finances.

Just about the best value GTX 1070 laptop is the Clevo P650HS-G. G-Sync, 7820HK, 1070, 15", 120hz FHD or 4k options, not too big a body, great cooling. It's sold by brands like Sager, HIDEvolution, Xotic PC, GentechPC, etc.

Unless you manage to snap up one of the Aorus X5 V6's for 2k flat -- sometimes those deals pop up on Newegg. Then I'd go for that simply due to the better build quality and portability.

Edit: Lastly, there are some new laptops coming out soon with nVidia "Max Q" cards. Eample, GTX 1080-Max-Q. This does not perform like a 1080, and in fact has been downclocked and power limited so much that, from the early benchmark leak there was, puts it barely 10% better than a stock GTX 1070.

So I'm not saying don't buy a Max-Q laptop when they become available if they suit your needs, just make sure you've looked at benchmarks etc first.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2017 around 09:11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A NEO-LIBERAL DEATH CULT APOLOGIST!

Oh straight up, there's lots of cheap 1070 laptops with GSYNC. Well, "cheap," they start at around $1600 with the Asus gl502, which is a decent if unspectacular laptop from all reports.

Still, I have the Aorus and even at less than 1 inch thick, it's bulky on its own. I wouldn't really want to go much thicker, and that aforementioned Clevo is about twice the size.

It's also $400-$500 cheaper mind you. Up to you which you care more about.,

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh straight up, there's lots of cheap 1070 laptops with GSYNC. Well, "cheap," they start at around $1600 with the Asus gl502, which is a decent if unspectacular laptop from all reports.

Still, I have the Aorus and even at less than 1 inch thick, it's bulky on its own. I wouldn't really want to go much thicker, and that aforementioned Clevo is about twice the size.

It's also $400-$500 cheaper mind you. Up to you which you care more about.,

It's thicker for sure, but actually has a smaller top-down footprint.

Clevo P650HS-G: 15.16" (w) x 10.67" (d) x 1.13" (h) - 5.84lbs
Aorus X5 V6: 15.35" (w) x 10.71" (d) x 0.90" (h) - 5.51lbs

At around the 2k mark, the Aorus is the best buy for a 1070 laptop if you can get it at that price, but you have to find a sale. MSI also has a whole bunch of 1070 laptops at the 2k mark with a 1070 but they tend to be thicker and heavier.

If you want a 1080, you're looking at the Eurocom Tornado F5 / EVOC 16-L-G which is based on the GT62VR chassis and contain a desktop CPU and 15" screen. This is probably the best value 1080 laptop, but it is a bitch to keep cool, and you'll need to delid your CPU to get anything approaching reasonable temps under dual load.

For 17" you can look at the MSI GT73VR models with the 1080, though they are *very* pricey, closing in on 3k fast.

Other than that, I don't know what other GTX 1080 laptops there are, that aren't gimmicky ones like the Asus ROG GX800 which has a watercooling dock.

IMO, stick with a 1070 laptop for best value and longevity and actual portability.

blowfish
Oct 10, 2012

I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hadlock posted:

Lenovo has gone on something of a marketing binge in the last week

Announced a 25th anniversary Thinkpad (with no details)
Interview with lenovo's chief designer about thinkpad features

Usually these kinds of campaigns last a couple of weeks, I'm curious to see if they release a new product in ~6 weeks after they've whipped up the appropriate amount of hype

if it turns out to be good i will immediately buy one and sell my new x1 to pay for it

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

If you're looking for something cheap, you don't need a PCIE/NVME M2 drive. If your M2 slot supports the SATA protocol, which I would assume it does but definitely double check that, you can get a cheaper SATA3 M2 drive, and probably get a bigger one for the same price as a smaller NVME one.

Unfortunately, that's not an option. Page 26 of the hardware manual for Lenovo Y520 itself says that it's a PCIE M2 slot and owners upgrading their laptops are reporting the same.

Bob Morales posted:

What about a 950 instead?

The 950 is not really stocked where I'm at right now.

I've swung by the SSD thread and saw that the Intel 600p was recommended as a budget option for people looking for NVME M2 SSDs.

Thanks for the help guys. Windows 10

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010

Nap Ghost

Do all Nvidia chips have the diagonal screen tearing issue on laptops? Just bought one with a 1050ti and hadn't known about the issue beforehand, but reading about it now it looks like it's been around for years. Turning off vsync seemed to help at least with the one game I tried.

SinineSiil
Jan 8, 2014

Fatigued posted:

Do all Nvidia chips have the diagonal screen tearing issue on laptops? Just bought one with a 1050ti and hadn't known about the issue beforehand, but reading about it now it looks like it's been around for years. Turning off vsync seemed to help at least with the one game I tried.

Yeah, it's been around for long time and it's up to Microsoft to fix it since Windows 8.1 and older don't have this issue. Something about their new Desktop Window Manager not having proper support for hybrid graphics (Optimus).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...s-on-windows-10
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...65m-970m-980m-/

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

huhwhat posted:

So, I'm looking to get the cheapest reliable M.2 PCIe SSD for my laptop and I wonder if the thread has any recommendations. Internet consensus seems to be the Samsung 960 Pro series but they're too pricey for my liking. Just need enough space to store Windows 10 on the SSD. Games and media will go on the HDD.

960 Evo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Pillbug

huhwhat posted:

I've swung by the SSD thread and saw that the Intel 600p was recommended as a budget option for people looking for NVME M2 SSDs.

I have a couple 600ps in different devices and have been happy with them - I haven't done anything super intensive to emphasize the differences but subjectively, the experience has been about the same for me with a 512GB 600p and a 500GB 850 EVO.

Sustained large writes will hit the end of the SLC write cache eventually and your write performance will start to suck relative to something like an 850 EVO, but if I recall correctly we're talking about several GB here and it will not happen in practice except for large manual file copies from another fast device. The flip side is that sustained reads are faster because of the NVMe interface, for the large models at least.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2017 around 16:31

«591 »