Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«653 »
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Apparently Intel's detection software thinks my system is not vulnerable. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

Playoff Pats Poster

Feel free to ignore.

Thermopyle posted:

Unless you're running a high traffic database server you will never notice the difference.

im guessing i shouldnt upgrade update my haswell pc tho

Statutory Ape fucked around with this message at Jan 16, 2018 around 17:50

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Unless you're running a high traffic database server you will never notice the difference.

Like I said something is really hosed up on the Ďfixedí firmware on my HP - itís easily noticeable using it side by side with a non-updated model.

Personally Iíd wait a while before upgrading any Haswell or Broadwell systems (assuming firmware is even available, I doubt it will be on an older ASUS).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
"It has gunfights and shit!"

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Urgh updated the firmware on my work laptop (an HP 820 G2 so Broadwell generation) and performance has completely gone to poo poo.

I hope this isn’t the new post-Spectre norm for older systems because man it sucks.

I'm the IT guy for an entire fleet of Elitebook G2s and haven't seen anything yet. Does it have an SSD?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah came with some Liteon SSD which still appears to be working fine.

We have loads of them spare so I think I'll upgrade another couple and see how they go.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

im guessing i shouldnt upgrade update my haswell pc tho

I'm not sure why you wouldnt, unless it's a database server. And even then, the performance hit is probably worth taking unless it's not connected to the internet.

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

Playoff Pats Poster

Feel free to ignore.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm not sure why you wouldnt, unless it's a database server. And even then, the performance hit is probably worth taking unless it's not connected to the internet.

https://www.fin24.com/Tech/News/new...issues-20180115

unless im misreading it ill be patching my way into crash city! (potentially)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
"It has gunfights and shit!"

Lipstick Apathy

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.fin24.com/Tech/News/new...issues-20180115

unless im misreading it ill be patching my way into crash city! (potentially)

Some guy I sold a Haswell gaming PC to, which has been fine for two years, called me up yesterday saying it crashed a dozen times for no reason in the last couple days... hmmmmm

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

Playoff Pats Poster

Feel free to ignore.

Zero VGS posted:

Some guy I sold a Haswell gaming PC to, which has been fine for two years, called me up yesterday saying it crashed a dozen times for no reason in the last couple days... hmmmmm

Yeah they're saying that the haswell patch will need a re-patch to unfuck the original patch

rip. now i just need to decide what i want to replace that mobo/proc with. ryzen 1200 or maybe a pentium 4560...hmhmhmhmhmmhmhhmhmh

but i guess thats a different thread somewhere. idk, i dont really post in this sub forum outside of this and the monitor thread

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 29, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Is this eventually gonna gently caress over sandy bridge?
Now I'm gonna be paranoid about selling this old laptop that it's gonna get an intel fuckup and I'll get blamed for it.

Pablo Gigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've been seeing stuff about the new 8th gen Kaby Lake processors throttling at not-that-high temps, is that actually a thing? Should I be looking at laptops with a 7th gen processor instead?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

a whole new doctrine

Pablo Gigante posted:

I've been seeing stuff about the new 8th gen Kaby Lake processors throttling at not-that-high temps, is that actually a thing? Should I be looking at laptops with a 7th gen processor instead?

As someone who has spent several weeks obsessively shopping for laptops, there hasn't been a good laptop made since 2015, and a 2015 laptop is getting long in the tooth. Welcome to laptop hell.

Pablo Gigante
Apr 16, 2002

shovelbum posted:

As someone who has spent several weeks obsessively shopping for laptops, there hasn't been a good laptop made since 2015, and a 2015 laptop is getting long in the tooth. Welcome to laptop hell.

gently caress. Iím still rocking a 2013 MBP Retina 13Ē but I want a bigger screen and uh, not Mac anymore

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

Playoff Pats Poster

Feel free to ignore.

Pablo Gigante posted:

i played video games on my 8th gen i7 8550u for like 8 hrs straight

its in an xps 13 that has basically no cooling in it

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Hello friends, I need some advice:

I am buying a new laptop and want to get one with some pretty decent gaming power. Yes, I know I should buy a desktop and yes I already have one. I have a job and commute and lifestyle that does not fit a desktop into the picture well, but I like gaming when I can on the train or from hookah or whatever.

I don't need super ultra top tier headshot graphics. I play most games at like normal quality and don't need vr or fancy stuff. I do play games like Path of Exile which chews up and spits out onboard graphics of my current older laptop.

Budget probably around $2k unless there is a really good reason to go higher. Battery life and power are probably the two most important things for me; I'm a big dude so the weight of the laptop doesn't really matter.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 29, 2011
Bee Lincoln

I went for the Yoga 720 13.3" with an i5 8250u and 8GB, now on to obsessively refreshing the order status page for the next few days.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Omniblivion posted:

I don't need super ultra top tier headshot graphics. I play most games at like normal quality and don't need vr or fancy stuff. I do play games like Path of Exile which chews up and spits out onboard graphics of my current older laptop.

Budget probably around $2k unless there is a really good reason to go higher. Battery life and power are probably the two most important things for me; I'm a big dude so the weight of the laptop doesn't really matter.

Battery life and gaming power don't really exist in the same machine. That said, the xps 15 has a whopping 97wh battery and a gtx 1050 in it, which is a little anemic if you're trying to play Battlefield 1 on Ultra or something, but should do fine with low/medium settings at 1080p for most games. It'll definitely handle Path of Exile just fine.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Battery life and gaming power don't really exist in the same machine. That said, the xps 15 has a whopping 97wh battery and a gtx 1050 in it, which is a little anemic if you're trying to play Battlefield 1 on Ultra or something, but should do fine with low/medium settings at 1080p for most games. It'll definitely handle Path of Exile just fine.

There is also the Aero 15 which has a 94whr battery and a GTX 1060 which will be a mix of Ultra and High on BF1 @ 1080p.

A little less svelte than the XPS15, however, with much less of that premium-wow factor.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

There is also the Aero 15 which has a 94whr battery and a GTX 1060 which will be a mix of Ultra and High on BF1 @ 1080p.

A little less svelte than the XPS15, however, with much less of that premium-wow factor.

I wasn't that impressed with the aero 15, the build is a little suspect and the touchpad is janky as gently caress. Apparently the new 15x is much better, and has a 1070 max-q as well.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I wasn't that impressed with the aero 15, the build is a little suspect and the touchpad is janky as gently caress. Apparently the new 15x is much better, and has a 1070 max-q as well.

The touchpad (ELAN) is balls until you hack Windows Precision drivers, which is an easy fix but shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

Build quality thing is hard to guage. The body is mostly metal (aluminum) with the exception of the lid of the back of the screen, though the hinge is made from plastic and is probably a weak spot. The trim of the laptop (the surface that runs along the outside edge) is also plastic I believe.

The 15x, as far as I know, has the same everything except for the 1070MQ. It's more powerful for sure, and the thermal solution in the Aero 15/X body handles the extra heat fine as long as you have a good paste job (not guaranteed on stock config).

One thing to watch out for on the Aero 15 is light bleed. The bottom bezel of the screen is fastened quite tight and often creates bleed on the bottom edge; it's consistent.

With that said, if you're looking for thin+powerful+big battery, you're basically looking at the XPS15 or the Aero 15 at the moment. Razer Blade maybe, as I recall reading that it had good battery life.

There is supposed to be an Aorus X3 model (14", 1060, 7700HQ) with a bigger battery (76whr?) but I've never seen it in the wild.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

So the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series Gaming Laptop has been working pretty great, but it does run a little hot when doing anything graphically intense. I haven't gotten any errors or crashes, so I think everything is fine, but I was thinking about getting a cooling pad or laptop stand. Are either of these at all worth it, and does anyone have any good recommendations?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dissss posted:

Like I said something is really hosed up on the ‘fixed’ firmware on my HP - it’s easily noticeable using it side by side with a non-updated model.

Personally I’d wait a while before upgrading any Haswell or Broadwell systems (assuming firmware is even available, I doubt it will be on an older ASUS).

Me too. My 15" Surface Book 2 seems laggy as hell after the firmware update. I thought I was going mad.

Placebo or what?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I've got a HP Envy 17-k that i'm trying to get into. The feet seem abnormally hard to get off and i'm getting to the point where if I pull any harder i'm worried i'm going to break something. Is there a trick to it?

Why do HP do this "disassemble the whole thing" game with me?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Me too. My 15" Surface Book 2 seems laggy as hell after the firmware update. I thought I was going mad.

Placebo or what?

I got pissed off enough to reimage it (didnít help) then swap in another SSD and reimage again.

Second time sped it up a huge amount but Iím fairly sure itís because it didnít install the January Windows Update yet (itís approved in WSUS but nothing seems to be installing it at the moment).

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

HAIKOOLIGAN

two questions:

1) are egpu There Yet
2) should i just wait for the new batch of ryzen lappies at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Given the prices of everything in desktopworld, I'm now seriously considering taking out the WLAN card from my 2012/13 Asus VivoBook's mini-PCIe slot and using a $50 "Beast" expansion to connect a 2013-vintage video card to the laptop so I can maybe play some PC games while waiting for the buttcoin bubble to burst. Rather than spend $900+ on a machine I would, realistically speaking, just use for games in addition to another $1000-1200 for a new ultrabook, I mean.

«653 »