Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seems pretty solid, just tiny battery which doesn't make it as good as the MAG-15 as an all rounder.

https://youtu.be/hAIjnqK-z78

I think the important question is whether or not the boosted RTX2060 gives enough of a boost to make this more worthwhile than one of the Asus offerings. It appears to be a MQ design that's been hardware modded for a higher TDP headroom.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

lmao the lead time for the new Legion series is 5+ weeks.

That's because the Legion 5 series isn't officially released or shipping yet, not because of manufacturing issues. There are no reviews out either. Pretty sure Lenovo is aiming for a June release date.

Their new AMD models seem like a great value.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Now that the Questlink Beta no longer needs a USB 3.0 cable and any old 2.0 cable will work, I tried out my Quest on Half Life Alyx and it works pretty drat near as well as my full Rift.

This is probably what drives me to eventually buy a gaming notebook.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So I guess this is kind of laptop "adjacent" as it's more of a handheld toy, but the GPD Win Max is coming pretty soon. For those that don't know what it is, it's an 8" handheld clamshell mini-laptop with a built-in controller. The main purpose is definitely gaming on the go, but it is powerful enough to use as an 'ultrabook' - you could dock it and hook it up to a monitor.

Anyway, the Max has got an Ice Lake 1035G7 with a 25w out of the box TDP, 16GB 3733mhz ram, an 800p 16:10 screen, and it'll run you almost 800 bucks.

Not cheap. I'm gonna be horrible with my money and buy it. As an owner of the GPD Win 2, I didn't regret buying that and used it everyday for almost 2 years, beating several games on it. Good times. I know there are a couple regulars in this thread who have the Win 2 as well. Divinity OS2 is going to be amazing on the train.

There's a full review of the new Max here by The Phawx who does good testing on these handhelds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHBxJXFWl7Y

If you're into these handheld PCs, another couple to look out for in the near future should be the Alienware UFO concept that was shown off at CES, and the One Netbook OneGX (a small Chinese company like GPD with a mini 360-hinge laptop).

Probably late 2021 will see the GPD Win 3, which should return to a smaller form factor, so I assume due to TDP limitations won't outperform the Win Max unless Tiger Lake iGPUs are the bee's knees.
These things are cool (e: figuratively). But I don't game that much, let alone when travelling, so what I really want is the GPD P3 Max in a 2-in-1 form factor. C'mon. I have the Cube Mix Plus right now and I like it but it's in laptop mode 90% of the time so this would make a ton more sense for an upgrade.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 16, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Their new AMD models seem like a great value.

From a hardware features point of view the line revamp looks really competitive.

Also the other bonus is the design seemed to avoid wild gaming laptop colors and logos.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

These things are cool (e: figuratively). But I don't game that much, let alone when travelling, so what I really want is the GPD P3 Max in a 2-in-1 form factor. C'mon. I have the Cube Mix Plus right now and I like it but it's in laptop mode 90% of the time so this would make a ton more sense for an upgrade.

Yeah if the next pocket max has a 360 hinge that would be really cool. It's something I wish the wins had just so I could use it as a tablet to read on as well but it would block the air intakes.

When I got the win 2 I was spending 3 hours commuting each day and used it quite a lot on the train and ferry for sure, but what surprised me was how much I used it at home.

It was especially good with games that survived alt tabbing then being put to sleep. Xcom wotc for example. I could be mid mission, alt tab, close the device, go check the chili or switch trains or whatever, and then open it up and be right back in the game.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

etalian posted:

lmao the lead time for the new Legion series is 5+ weeks.

Uhh yeah China's dealing with this thing right now it's called the coronavirus good luck getting anything new on time that's not an Apple product or facemasks through like October

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hold up the new XPS17 is 16:10 4K? JFC

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I guess this is kind of laptop "adjacent" as it's more of a handheld toy, but the GPD Win Max is coming pretty soon. For those that don't know what it is, it's an 8" handheld clamshell mini-laptop with a built-in controller. The main purpose is definitely gaming on the go, but it is powerful enough to use as an 'ultrabook' - you could dock it and hook it up to a monitor.

Anyway, the Max has got an Ice Lake 1035G7 with a 25w out of the box TDP, 16GB 3733mhz ram, an 800p 16:10 screen, and it'll run you almost 800 bucks.

Not cheap. I'm gonna be horrible with my money and buy it. As an owner of the GPD Win 2, I didn't regret buying that and used it everyday for almost 2 years, beating several games on it. Good times. I know there are a couple regulars in this thread who have the Win 2 as well. Divinity OS2 is going to be amazing on the train.

There's a full review of the new Max here by The Phawx who does good testing on these handhelds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHBxJXFWl7Y

If you're into these handheld PCs, another couple to look out for in the near future should be the Alienware UFO concept that was shown off at CES, and the One Netbook OneGX (a small Chinese company like GPD with a mini 360-hinge laptop).

Probably late 2021 will see the GPD Win 3, which should return to a smaller form factor, so I assume due to TDP limitations won't outperform the Win Max unless Tiger Lake iGPUs are the bee's knees.

I always loved the idea of these things but good jesus does this thing look loving massive. I thought they were like 3DS size but this thing looks uncomfortable as poo poo to hold in your hands and use as a controller.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

It's 8" and quite a bit larger than the previous devices you might've seen:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 17, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
See, that's the kind of size where I can almost imagine typing on. A Surface Go-like size, which is why it's more than a little annoying that the Surface Go 2 is still using those godawful Pentium Golds.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

You can get the Go2 with a Core M now. It's not amazing especially in perf/watt terms nowadays, but I honestly have no complaints about the performance of the 7y30 for day to day usage, or even Photoshop or Lightroom on the go. I think the problem with the Go is that it's too expensive for what you get, it'd be like $630 for the m3 and 128gb ssd and that's before the $100 keyboard and $100 stylus.

Which is why I'm kind of obsessed with my Cube, which is also a 10" tablet with the m3. But it was like $280 before (IIRC) 20% coupon two years ago, the fixed keyboard was $40 and I can use any Wacom or Samsung stylus. As I mentioned earlier I just want this in a yoga form-factor with smaller bezels and a modern CPU.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Size is my main reservation with the Max for sure. With that said, I've always felt that I'd like my Win 2 to be larger, and so this will put that to the test. If only they'd found a way to either shrink those bezels, or stick a larger 9" screen in it.

The one thing that gives me hope is that all the preproduction testers like the guy in the video I linked above, or Brad from liliputing, said they got used to it really quickly and it was comfortable to hold.

^^7y30 performance is pretty dang okay for just day to day web / typing / youtube stuff, honestly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Hold up the new XPS17 is 16:10 4K? JFC

Yes the XPS 15/17 revamp took lots of design ideas from the XPS 13 2020 refresh such as increasing the vertical LCD real estate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

etalian posted:

Yes the XPS 15/17 revamp took lots of design ideas from the XPS 13 2020 refresh such as increasing the vertical LCD real estate.

why did it take so long to reinvent that wheel?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

For the same reason that laptops got, and continue to get, 4K panels on sub-15-inch displays, along with no touch option on SKUs with all other features identical except 1080p.

I don't know what that reason is, other than, "they're loving morons", but it's got to be the same reason.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I exclusively use 16:10 WUXGA laptops from 2009. About loving time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Looks like some reviews are out for the Dell XPS 15 re-design

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/dell-xps-15-2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For the same reason that laptops got, and continue to get, 4K panels on sub-15-inch displays, along with no touch option on SKUs with all other features identical except 1080p.

I don't know what that reason is, other than, "they're loving morons", but it's got to be the same reason.

This is a good post and my understanding of how (for me) my hobby works as well

How many factories and firms are even pumping these out or designing them?

I actually applaud any company that takes the chance on losing economy of scale to push design...even if it's long overdue.

Sometimes in my head and also possibly itt I ponder when the last x768 res screen will be on sale as a new device on Amazon et al

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

etalian posted:

$2400 for a GTX 1650 seems sub-par considering you're running a 4k screen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tetrabor posted:

$2400 for a GTX 1650 seems sub-par considering you're running a 4k screen.

Yeah does looks under-powered, for the laptops I'm most interested for the summer updates would be the Hp Envy, Legion 7i and HP Zbook.

The Legion 7i looks like the best hardware value so far for the price comparisons.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

etalian posted:

Looks like heat is still an issue if it’s getting to 103 on video watching alone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Lenovo :argh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Thinking about my next laptop. Are there any good desktop replacement ones that aren’t overpriced Alienware poo poo? Preferably using full power desktop parts, bonus points if it’s upgradeable. Battery life is completely irrelevant, since my laptops all live on their chargers anyway. It’d basically be something to stick in a hotel room when I travel for work. Thought about getting a desktop in a small case but then there’s still the hassle of setting up a keyboard,
monitor, mouse, etc, on top of having to pack everything. A laptop just makes it so much easier.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Thinking about my next laptop. Are there any good desktop replacement ones that aren’t overpriced Alienware poo poo? Preferably using full power desktop parts, bonus points if it’s upgradeable. Battery life is completely irrelevant, since my laptops all live on their chargers anyway. It’d basically be something to stick in a hotel room when I travel for work. Thought about getting a desktop in a small case but then there’s still the hassle of setting up a keyboard,
monitor, mouse, etc, on top of having to pack everything. A laptop just makes it so much easier.

I'd consider an ultrabook with a external GPU if you want form-factor with the gaming power of a desktop. Anything more and you're probably looking at expensive Creator/Studio laptops or a small PC like you were considering.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Full power desktop GPU parts aren't used except for the some niche overpriced gaming laptop designs.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-laptop/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

You can get the Go2 with a Core M now. It's not amazing especially in perf/watt terms nowadays, but I honestly have no complaints about the performance of the 7y30 for day to day usage, or even Photoshop or Lightroom on the go. I think the problem with the Go is that it's too expensive for what you get, it'd be like $630 for the m3 and 128gb ssd and that's before the $100 keyboard and $100 stylus.

Which is why I'm kind of obsessed with my Cube, which is also a 10" tablet with the m3. But it was like $280 before (IIRC) 20% coupon two years ago, the fixed keyboard was $40 and I can use any Wacom or Samsung stylus. As I mentioned earlier I just want this in a yoga form-factor with smaller bezels and a modern CPU.

Yeah I still have an ancient Atom powered 2009 10.5" netbook, it is fantastically small and does everything, just slowly, probably would be a lot better if I swapped in an SSD

Somewhere between 10.5 and 12.5 inches is about the ideal subnotebook form size. I have mostly adjusted to my 13.3" X390 but it still feels like a 14" T490S more than an X series laptop

Everyone should have two computers, 1) 11.5" class subnotebook for travel 2) 15" full power laptop for desktop stuff

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Clevo x170 is something coming out soon that I have my eye on and fits your description.

There is also that Clevo chassis that has a Ryzen desktop cpu plus soldered on 2070. Xmg rebrands it as the apex.

But even with MXM gpus they are still tdp limited versus their desktop counterparts. The 2080 for eg only went up to 200w max, and some models had it down at 150w or 180w.

Re the Alienware A51M, its very lame that for all the upgradability they touted you can't even upgrade the r1 version with a non super card to a super edition of the same drat card.

I don't expect the r2 will be upgradable to a 3000 series either. Why did Dell/Alienware even bother making a proprietary form factor removable gpu then?

But hell it's not even a guarantee with MXM either unless you are willing to maybe mod your heatsink in some cases. Not to mention the price.

On the CPU side, will rocket Lake be drop in on 10th Gen boards?

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 17, 2020

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
I need to replace a rapidly deteriorating Surface Pro 3 pretty soon. I've actually been quite happy with it, however I may be going back to study later this year and won't have a desktop, so I'm probably looking for something a bit bigger and more powerful this time.

One thing I do like is the tablet style drawing, which seems like it would be difficult on a normal folding laptop. Are there any good flexible format options that don't make too many major compromises? I'm in engineering so I'll need to do a bit more than Powerpoint, but not looking for gaming performance or anything.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

SebAndSeb posted:

I need to replace a rapidly deteriorating Surface Pro 3 pretty soon. I've actually been quite happy with it, however I may be going back to study later this year and won't have a desktop, so I'm probably looking for something a bit bigger and more powerful this time.

One thing I do like is the tablet style drawing, which seems like it would be difficult on a normal folding laptop. Are there any good flexible format options that don't make too many major compromises? I'm in engineering so I'll need to do a bit more than Powerpoint, but not looking for gaming performance or anything.

The HP Spectre x360 seems perfect for your needs. It's a speedy, highly capable 2-in-1 ultrabook with long battery life and solid build quality that includes a stylus for its accurate touchscreen. You can flip it around from standard laptop to a 13" tablet in seconds, so no having to compromise.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Statutory Ape posted:

I actually applaud any company that takes the chance on losing economy of scale to push design...even if it's long overdue.

Do you love Asus because they seem to put out at least one experimental model every year. Though you may need to live in Taiwan to have a chance at purchasing it (and for a local repair center when QC fails on the low volume part :v:).

SebAndSeb posted:

The Surface line is still best in class as far as convertible experiences go, particularly if drawing is important to you. Pen inputs on third party devices tend to be good enough for note taking but the quality of precision and pressure sensitivity varies, try find reviews testing those in particular if you can.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Clevo x170 is something coming out soon that I have my eye on and fits your description.

There is also that Clevo chassis that has a Ryzen desktop cpu plus soldered on 2070. Xmg rebrands it as the apex.

But even with MXM gpus they are still tdp limited versus their desktop counterparts. The 2080 for eg only went up to 200w max, and some models had it down at 150w or 180w.

Re the Alienware A51M, its very lame that for all the upgradability they touted you can't even upgrade the r1 version with a non super card to a super edition of the same drat card.

I don't expect the r2 will be upgradable to a 3000 series either. Why did Dell/Alienware even bother making a proprietary form factor removable gpu then?

But hell it's not even a guarantee with MXM either unless you are willing to maybe mod your heatsink in some cases. Not to mention the price.

I’ll probably either do the small case and deal with it or go nuts and build something into a Pelican case or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I’ll probably either do the small case and deal with it or go nuts and build something into a Pelican case or something.

I just built an X3700 system with 2tb of storage, 32gb of ram, and a GTX1080 into a Sliger SM560 and it's adorably tiny, light, and runs cool. It's smaller than nearly every eGPU enclosure I've seen. You could literally fit it in a backpack, only the monitor and keyboard would really be packing concerns. But something like this https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XG17AHPE-Portable-Adaptive-Sync-Micro-HDMI/dp/B0845Y1FRN could fit in the laptop compartment of most bags and I'm sure there are probably good travel keyboard options out there.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do modern Nvidia laptop GPUs have the ability to downscale on high PPI displays exactly 1:2 without any blurry filtering or even some other fancy fancy filtering? I guess that's what DLSS is for? Does that exist on laptops?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shaocaholica posted:

Do modern Nvidia laptop GPUs have the ability to downscale on high PPI displays exactly 1:2 without any blurry filtering or even some other fancy fancy filtering? I guess that's what DLSS is for? Does that exist on laptops?

What you're looking for is called Integer Scaling. nVidia officially supports it on Turing GPUs, so 16xx and 20xx. Not sure if the driver's been hacked to enable it on older hardware.

DLSS is a different thing where it uses deep learning to make up the extra pixels rather than just multiplying what's there.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 18, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Right. I'm sure DLSS at half res for a high PPI laptop is going to do wonders. Not way even top end laptops can render at full res on high PPI.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
FYI, please stop buying products from Lenovo. I sent in my Thinkpad P71 for repair during the last week in March. I just got it back today and it's worse than when I sent it to them. Sure, it would crash in 5 minutes after startup before I sent it to them in March, but at least it would loving POST! I waited 6 weeks for this too.

This now makes 4 warranty returns to their service center in less than 3 years.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The HP Spectre x360 seems perfect for your needs. It's a speedy, highly capable 2-in-1 ultrabook with long battery life and solid build quality that includes a stylus for its accurate touchscreen. You can flip it around from standard laptop to a 13" tablet in seconds, so no having to compromise.

Cons: It's a goddamn HP.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Cons: It's a goddamn HP.

Yeah, good thing it's not Acer or MSI and a good brand like HP. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You can look back at my post history in this thread, the Envy x360 (13z-ag000) is one of the worst convertibles I have ever used in my entire life.