Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«882 »
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

aaaaaaaaaa
AAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

xgalaxy posted:

This is my first time buying a Dell. Supposedly this thing came with McAfee and Office subscriptions. Do I have to worry about auto renewal? I'd really like to just deactivate them immediately.

Unless you explicitly gave them your billing information, no.
You can either uninstall them from the control panel if you don't want to use them or just do a system reset to get a clean version of Windows on there.

If you do a system reset I would recommend installing the Dell SupportAssist software because it does deliver some important software like BIOS fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

My MAX-17 is shipping today!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

It's your HPV, Veronica. I'm just carrying it.

xgalaxy posted:

This is my first time buying a Dell. Supposedly this thing came with McAfee and Office subscriptions. Do I have to worry about auto renewal? I'd really like to just deactivate them immediately.

The subscriptions will not auto-renew, but you should really be using the Fresh Start function to get rid of the Dell bloatware and reset to a Windows 10 clean install.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

Really would like some more info on the 17 like... Even a release date? Or maybe some benchmarks

It's June timeframe for the release date and around $1500 for the base model.

Some lucky reviewers did get their hands on the XPS 17 but couldn't publish actual benchmarks due to laptops being pre-production models.

So I imagine it will be mid/late June until we get benchmarks on the product model.

4000 Dollar Suit
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

xgalaxy posted:

When I bought my zephyrus from best buy they had an option for 3 years of mcaffe anti-virus pre installed! With a checked checkbox, immediately unchecked it with the swiftness, thanks best buy, seriously.

4000 Dollar Suit fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 26, 2020

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Looking for some general advice on a Thinkpad purchase this year.
I have 100000 JPY (just under 1000$ USD) to spend on a laptop this year for work.

Looking at current configurations and pricing, I could get a New T495 (Ryzen 5 3500U, 8GB Ram, 300 nit screen), a refurb eBay 6th Gen X1 Carbon (i5 8250U, 8GB Ram, FHD screen), or wait and see what the pricing on the Ryzen T14 is going to be later this year. The intel T14 will likely be over my budget for the time being.
Iím currently using an x230 and itís painfully slow, but Iím getting by if waiting for Ryzen 4000 would be worth it.

Thanks thread!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

Looking for some general advice on a Thinkpad purchase this year.
I have 100000 JPY (just under 1000$ USD) to spend on a laptop this year for work.

Looking at current configurations and pricing, I could get a New T495 (Ryzen 5 3500U, 8GB Ram, 300 nit screen), a refurb eBay 6th Gen X1 Carbon (i5 8250U, 8GB Ram, FHD screen), or wait and see what the pricing on the Ryzen T14 is going to be later this year. The intel T14 will likely be over my budget for the time being.
Iím currently using an x230 and itís painfully slow, but Iím getting by if waiting for Ryzen 4000 would be worth it.

Thanks thread!

The Lenovo T495 is a very fine business grade laptop. The Ryzen 5 is speedy and a great deal for the price. Keep in mind the T490 has a nicer display and somewhat faster CPU and might be worth waiting for a sale if you aren't going to buy tomorrow, but you will be very happy with the T495 too.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The Lenovo T495 is a very fine business grade laptop. The Ryzen 5 is speedy and a great deal for the price. Keep in mind the T490 has a nicer display and somewhat faster CPU and might be worth waiting for a sale if you aren't going to buy tomorrow, but you will be very happy with the T495 too.

The T490 with the QHD screen and dedicated GPU would be ideal but even stripping the ram and SSD down to the lowest cost is pretty far over my budget right now. I can upgrade stuff by myself if I go over budget, but the machine itself has to stay below 1000.
Maybe a black friday deal or something would bring this configuration down lower, it might be worth waiting for.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

The T490 with the QHD screen and dedicated GPU would be ideal but even stripping the ram and SSD down to the lowest cost is pretty far over my budget right now. I can upgrade stuff by myself if I go over budget, but the machine itself has to stay below 1000.
Maybe a black friday deal or something would bring this configuration down lower, it might be worth waiting for.

Lenovo had the T490 for $800 at the beginning of this month, so there are deals if you're willing to wait a while until a deal shows up again. But you would be very happy with the AMD T495 too, which is a great value for what you're getting. The differences between the two models are pretty minor and the T series build quality is quite good in both cases.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 27, 2020

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lenovo had the T490 for $800 at the beginning of this month, so there are deals if you're willing to wait a while until a deal shows up again. But you would be very happy with the AMD T495 too, which is a great value for what you're getting. The differences between the two models are pretty minor and the T series build quality is quite good in both cases.

I should have mentioned, I am located in Japan so the deals are a bit different. Usually on Black Friday here they will put the previous year's T4XX on sale though.
I'm curious about Ryzen 4000 performance as well. I won't be doing any strenuous gaming on the machine but it would be nice to have a bit of headroom for high res videos or some light gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm curious about Ryzen 4000 performance as well. I won't be doing any strenuous gaming on the machine but it would be nice to have a bit of headroom for high res videos or some light gaming.

AMD with new Ryzen 4000s laptop CPUs delivered a bad surprise to Intel for both performance and value.

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 27, 2020

«882 »