Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Any reasonably modern PC has battery saving techniques to preserve life if plugged in primarily.

For example, Dell Power Manager allows you to set custom charge thresholds and schedules along with just setting primary use cases and going hands off with the battery management.

For example, I could (if I wanted to) tell my XPS 13 to only start charging the battery if it's below 50% and to stop charging it once it hits 55%.

They also have a function called "Peak Shift" which allows you to chose times for 3 different states. You can tell it when to operate on battery only, when to operate on AC only (and not charge the battery) and when to resume both AC and charging.

So, you could start your day only using battery power and let the battery drain for a few hours of use, then you can switch to using only AC power without charging the battery (leaving it is a lower state for the majority of the day) then you can choose when charging resumes

On the flip side of that, they have "Advanced Charge" which will only charge the battery to capacity within the time frame you define.

So, yeah, you can do with software a lot more than just removing the battery all without compromising the performance of the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Don't discharge lithium batteries all the way to preserve their life. That was advice from the old NiCd/NiMH days that DOES NOT pertain to lithium. Lithium batteries do not need periodic discharges at all, there is no memory.

The best thing you can do is leave the charge down to about 50%-60% and then tell the PC not to charge it anymore. Check it every once and a while and let is get back up to 50-60%.

If you can't do that, then every few days unplug and let it get down to 50% and then charge it back. Don't let it go all the way to 0, being at 0 and then at 100 all the time is sorta worst case scenario.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My Lenovo y50 I've had for years just stopped charging the other day. Replacement charger is on the way in case that's the issue but I'm kinda fearing the worst/would rather spend the money on a new one than repairs at this point if the laptop itself is borked (Read they can get problems with the motherboard seating or charging port or something) so I'd like to know what the good options are for laptops with gpus that aren't hellaciously heavy these days. The Y50 ended up being mostly a mame and ASCII roguelike machine so I'm pretty willing to drop into a lower tier in today's laptops than the Y50 was in when I bought it. High end demands would be ffxiv and halo MCC right now, and possibly x360 shmups in Xenia.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Dell G5, 15" 144hz 1080p with a 2070MQ for $1200. Pretty good deal.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/5vgs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well my asus g14 is fixed, was apparently motherboard failure which explains no charging or LED indicator lights working.

For asus g14 bought through Best Buy asus does not offer a rma process and instead outsources the repairs to Best Buy’s depot.

Didn’t cost anything for the repair but I’ll see how it holds up.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
For a gaming machine at $1k the consensus seems to be a Legion or maybe the hp omen right?

The 1660 gpu is worth the price right?

Does a 2060 make a difference? What about Intel vs amd?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

havelock posted:

For a gaming machine at $1k the consensus seems to be a Legion or maybe the hp omen right?

2060 can do DLSS which, if it takes off, will definitely extend the meaningful life of the laptop for gaming.

I have last years 1660 omen and I like it quite a bit. The RAM in there was anemic out of the box but opening the laptop up to upgrade was a lot easier than it was on other laptops I’ve owned, didn’t feel like I was at risk of breaking anything.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

havelock posted:

Well the 2060 and other series did get roasted for cheesy ray tracing hype.

However the 2000s series is faster due to having more hardware under the hood.

Note for performance there are lots of sites that offer Gpu performance comparison so you can see performance for things like in popular 3D games

For processors the newest batch of Amd 8 core laptop Ryzen processors are worth Checking out since they do scorch intel in things like multi core performance as well as being cheaper in price.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i would never consider a 1660 instead of a 2060 at the same price point, in a system expressly for gaming.

the two cards are incomparable at this point. a thing that should be stressed a lot going forward with GTX vs RTX offerings, imo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The ROG G14 with the Ryzen 9 and 2060MQ a bunch of us were waiting for is available at Best Buy for 1200, which is probably as good as it'll get as it's Best Buy's Black Friday price. BB is also doing returns until Jan 16th.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

The ROG G14 with the Ryzen 9 and 2060MQ a bunch of us were waiting for is available at Best Buy for 1200, which is probably as good as it'll get as it's Best Buy's Black Friday price. BB is also doing returns until Jan 16th.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

Wow this a really good deal for a new not open box or refurb gaming laptop.

I’d still give a thumbs up for the asus g14 for both value and overall features.

I did have a bad surprise but the 1 year warranty (parts and labor coverage) is paid for asus if you run into hardware failures during the first few months.

Overall time span for Best Buy do the repair from drop off to pick-up was around 2 weeks and I'd consider a motherboard remove + replace on the more challenging laptop repairs given the amount of connectors that need to be demate/mated back up plus the retesting.

I would recommend people get the "mid tier" G14 at this sale price, the mid tier has much better future proofing specs especially the bump up in RAM and SSD for the base storage. Modern games especially titles like shooters can really chew up your spare SSD storage fast.

etalian fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 23, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

etalian posted:

Wow this a really good deal for a new not open box or refurb gaming laptop.

and its worth mentioning that as of the time i post this, you can get that very model AS open box, for under 1k

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

and its worth mentioning that as of the time i post this, you can get that very model AS open box, for under 1k

I think the only ones that were under 1000 were "fair", which can be pretty sus. I suppose the extended return makes the risk a helluva lot less though. So if you're really gunning for a deal I'd check them out sooner rather than later.

Either way, ordered my new one, and picking it up today!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lockback posted:

which is probably as good as it'll get as it's Best Buy's Black Friday price

Even if it isn't they are doing a Black Friday Price Guarantee, so if it drops below that by Nov 28th, you get the difference.

So very tempting and if a local best buy had stock I might impulse buy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Ordered an XPS 9310. Should be a fun toy, even if its not as expandable as Id like. I may still do the upgrade if there's an 8c tiger lake / ampere 9510 option.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I imagine we won't be seeing laptop Ampere GPUs until maybe mid 2021, plus it would probably take a few years to fine tune things similar to the last wave of 2000s series Super Parts or the Max-Q thermal optimized design.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ampere is a smaller process node though, so it should realize immediate power/thermal gains at the same performance levels.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Ampere is a smaller process node though, so it should realize immediate power/thermal gains at the same performance levels.

It's also a bear to cool right now. Smaller node means more challenging cooling. The memory is also a power hog, though I guess there's no reason they can't swap that out.

We'll see desktop-replacement Ampere before too long in early/mid 2021 but my guess it'll be a minute before mobile stuff makes its way out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

etalian posted:

I imagine we won't be seeing laptop Ampere GPUs until maybe mid 2021, plus it would probably take a few years to fine tune things similar to the last wave of 2000s series Super Parts or the Max-Q thermal optimized design.
Won't take that long, just a question of how long until we see smaller dies released. Performance decreases slower than voltage, just a question of how much they want to give up in performance, and how low they can get on voltage. Unless they wait until they can transition to TSMC 7nm, which would be an interesting choice.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Will be interesting to see laptop level 3000 performance...

Really crazy how in the last few years slim and light gaming laptops are now possible plus even some business/multi-media laptops at least have some level of discrete GPU performance.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

etalian posted:

Will be interesting to see laptop level 3000 performance...

Really crazy how in the last few years slim and light gaming laptops are now possible plus even some business/multi-media laptops at least have some level of discrete GPU performance.

It’s pretty wild, a “gaming” laptop is significantly cheaper than a pc with similar specs in my country.*

*at the cost of durability, potential upgrades and a significant decrease in potential performance thanks to undervolting/thermal throttling.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Lockback posted:

It's also a bear to cool right now. Smaller node means more challenging cooling. The memory is also a power hog, though I guess there's no reason they can't swap that out.

We'll see desktop-replacement Ampere before too long in early/mid 2021 but my guess it'll be a minute before mobile stuff makes its way out.

It's a bear to cool because the only shipping products are massive dies with g6x pushing 320w+ through the board. The 3070 launching shortly is supposed to be roughly 2080ti performance at ~85% of the power draw (pending independent testing) and will use standard gddr6. I'd expect that should translate well down the stack, although I agree with you that it probably won't be soon.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Looking for a hot take here -

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621985/maingear-element-3-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

I'm trying to get a gaming laptop that I can also do video editing or 3d modeling work on while I travel. This checks a lot of my boxes, but is it worth grabbing one now, or is Black Friday a better thing to wait for?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Harvey Baldman posted:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621985/maingear-element-3-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

I'm trying to get a gaming laptop that I can also do video editing or 3d modeling work on while I travel. This checks a lot of my boxes, but is it worth grabbing one now, or is Black Friday a better thing to wait for?

The one thing I’ll say is that if you can find the same specs but with 16GB RAM instead of 32, or with less storage space, it’s basically always cheaper to go with that and put in additional RAM/storage yourself. It’s trivially easy and OEM premiums on RAM/Storage are often crazy.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Replacement charger for the Y50 got here and didn't help so I think it's indeed the laptop that's hosed. Are there any super value options in entry level gaming laptops? I won't say no to better performance but thinking about it I mostly want to keep running what was already running fine on a 960m + whatever cpu.

The one thing making me consider higher end right now is emerging 360/PS3 etc emu which seems like an as much power as you can squeeze thing. On the higher end the specs on that Asus g14 look really good but that screen size seems tiny.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Harvey Baldman posted:

That LOOKS to be similar to the MSI/Prostar/etc. Aggressively OK. I think gaming or doing anything intensive on that GPU is going to hit thermal limits unless its on a good cooling pad. Lower-end battery life (and my Prostar had absolutely crap speakers) but otherwise decent components.

I think this is a reasonably good deal, but probably not screaming.

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.
Looking for your insights. Wife wants to buy a new laptop to replace her old Macbook Air (which she likes a lot) but is astonished and dismayed by Apple's abolition of ports. She might be willing to convert to PC.

Uses are mainly pretty light - internet, email, word processing, that kind of thing. Gaming occasionally, though rarely anything very tough to run. Slim and light a plus. Budget $600 - $1000. What do y'all think?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gonna ask the obvious but is there a specific port she's missing out that making another Air a no-go? The Air didn't have that many ports to begin with, they dropped the SD card reader and the USB-A moved to USB-C. Most anything else can be replicated by a $30 dongle if she needs.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 25, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Clobbermeister posted:

Looking for your insights. Wife wants to buy a new laptop to replace her old Macbook Air (which she likes a lot) but is astonished and dismayed by Apple's abolition of ports. She might be willing to convert to PC.

Uses are mainly pretty light - internet, email, word processing, that kind of thing. Gaming occasionally, though rarely anything very tough to run. Slim and light a plus. Budget $600 - $1000. What do y'all think?

id maybe consider something like this https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-laptop-13z-ay000-8lz58av-1 or barring that, the usual dell xps 13/lenovo recommendation.

the HP can be configured to be pretty solid at light gaming for a good price

Worf fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 25, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
assuming she wants USB-A, xps 13 is a no go

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

Replacement charger for the Y50 got here and didn't help so I think it's indeed the laptop that's hosed. Are there any super value options in entry level gaming laptops?

Yeah most likely it’s a dead motherboard if you get no charging light activity after plugging in the power.

For options the legion 5i series is supposedly good and the asus g14 is another option if better portability is must have feature

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hace posted:

assuming she wants USB-A, xps 13 is a no go

yea otoh dont make purchase decisions over usb-a in 2020 imo

theres nothing in that use case/ that goons post that suggests going out of ones way to grab a dying port thats easily replicated or done wirelessly

those computers i listed have all of the reasonably expected ports on a computer for these days

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 25, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
calling usb-a a dying port is extremely generous lmao

we're going to be using hubs for another decade at least. buy whatever you want.

buy for the problems you have now, not for the problems you might have 8 years from today.

Hace fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 25, 2020

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.
Thank you for the recommendations. The nice thing with PC is you don't really have to sacrifice to get a USB-A port or a headphone jack. There are a bunch of great computers that just have them, still. I think my wife's concern around ports is one part wanting to have those ports to use (so as not to have a dongle flopping around) and one part feeling resentment toward Apple for doing what Apple does.

That HP looks like the budget-friendly pick. Also looking at Lenovo's Yoga, T490, and Carbon series. I've had a T430 since 2012 that has served me extremely well and I'm awfully partial to them.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
personally I'm biased towards lenovo products. they're not perfect but they generally have good quality control, particularly from their Thinkpad T-series options

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I got my daughter one of the cheaper Flex's with AMD and I was really surprised by how nice it was for like $450. I believe the Flex are basically the same as the Yoga. I sorta thought the 2 in 1 was kinda gimmicky but it's a way better feature than I thought.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I can't speak for this generation's Lenovo yoga but I have the laptop from 2 years ago and I've had to send it in for an RMA because of a battery dying within a month of purchase and now the sound card fails probably once every day or two and requires either a reboot of the computer or restarting the entire sound driver.

I've not been overly impressed with the quality and will not be purchasing another Lenovo laptop next time around most likely.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

I got my daughter one of the cheaper Flex's with AMD and I was really surprised by how nice it was for like $450. I believe the Flex are basically the same as the Yoga. I sorta thought the 2 in 1 was kinda gimmicky but it's a way better feature than I thought.

AMD has been really killing it with laptop 4000 Ryzen series CPU especially on price compared to Intel 10th gen models.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

etalian posted:

AMD has been really killing it with laptop 4000 Ryzen series CPU especially on price compared to Intel 10th gen models.
I think that's less the chips are cheaper and more nobody trusted AMD enough to deliver to design high end systems with them. This will change.

But what I really want to see if zen 3 + RDNA2 APU, and I don't think we have reliable reports of that as an early 2021 option where it should be. Just some strange rumors of a zen 2 / zen 3 lineup mix with vega still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If your wife hangs on to laptops for 5+ years, she might as well accept USB-C and adopt a USB-C dock and get over it, usb-A is not coming back