Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

shrike82 posted:

amd not supporting thunderbolt really sucks considering how good ryzen laptops are otherwise

Yeah - gotta agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A lot of the newest thunderbolt docks also support USB-C as well and unless you are running a lot of monitor resolution off of it, you really aren't going to notice much of a difference (if any) in functionality.

It's not like a gaming laptop is ever going to be a single connection anyways since the power requirements are too high.

Then you can have my work T480 that even though it has TB, it overheats and drops the connection anyways.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
anything specific to look out for in a cooling pad?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rinkles posted:

anything specific to look out for in a cooling pad?

Nah, check reviews. My experience I haven't really seen a bad one, I think I'd mostly just try to get one that doesn't have a history of breaking and fits your workspace. You can either do a plastic one that acts as a desk of sorts, or a aluminum one that can be used as a standup, like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C7ZOO2A/

My experience its one of those "Matters more than you have something than necessarily a high quality thing"/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lol, I'm seeing a lot of complaints about LED lights you can't turn off. The RGB curse strikes again.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Looking at an X200 to install coreboot. Would have no GUI at all. Thinking about doing this on my t470 but I still use it to connect to my monitor on a dock. I'd use the macbook pro 2020 for that but it doesn't have hdmi, and I can't keep up with dongs. Can I wipe out OSx and install a custom OS?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cheese Thief posted:

I'd use the macbook pro 2020 for that but it doesn't have hdmi, and I can't keep up with dongs. Can I wipe out OSx and install a custom OS?

You know that they make USB-C -> HDMI/Display Port cables, right

Pre-dock, I used one to connect my ~2018 mbp to a dell ultrasharp

Also if you just buy the tb3 dock you don't ever have to worry about dongles ever again

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Thanks, I know just on principle I wouldn't spend money on a dock I don't use. It would just go in a closet or drawer because I have too many computers already that can do whatever the dock can do natively. Anyway, I decided to install freeBSD on the thinkpad because the niche of looking at a web browser is filled well by the mac, and Windows fills it's niche of playing games. A freeBSd + no DE would be perfect for writing, editing text, and making little tools for solving problems.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
OK, nearly certain this is a price mistake but HP is selling the Omen directly and you can configure it with a Ryzen 5 5600 and a 3060 for $1150 or a Ryzen 7 and 3070 for $1289 (!).

You can pop up to 16GB of Ram for $50 which is a no brainer. I am pretty sure this is supposed to be a 2060 and a 2070 (because there's an identical 3060 build for 1500), but if someone wants to try...

https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345619920323&urlLangId=&quantity=1

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Lockback posted:

OK, nearly certain this is a price mistake but HP is selling the Omen directly and you can configure it with a Ryzen 5 5600 and a 3060 for $1150 or a Ryzen 7 and 3070 for $1289 (!).

You can pop up to 16GB of Ram for $50 which is a no brainer. I am pretty sure this is supposed to be a 2060 and a 2070 (because there's an identical 3060 build for 1500), but if someone wants to try...

https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345619920323&urlLangId=&quantity=1

gently caress it, i tried for the ryzen 7 / 3070 with 16gb upgrade... let's see!

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I got an Alienware m15r3 i7 2070 and have been pretty disappointed with it. Plugged in and 1080p gaming on high settings pegged the CPU at 101c and resulted in both thermal and power throttling. After I undervolted and turned off turbo, it stays nice and cool, but hangs out at 2.4ghz so it’s not performing as well as it could.

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay

Sniep posted:

gently caress it, i tried for the ryzen 7 / 3070 with 16gb upgrade... let's see!

Godspeed! That's seems like a dang good deal. Would personally do the same upgrades you did but add a 1440p screen ($1469). Still a few hundred less than the G15 from best buy (which appropriately has a better CPU, bigger SSD, good battery life/build).

Slickdeals thread on it. They seem to think its a real price at least and also note it will ship in April. Tempted to float it.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14866450-o...150#commentsBox

LibCrusher posted:

I got an Alienware m15r3 i7 2070 and have been pretty disappointed with it. Plugged in and 1080p gaming on high settings pegged the CPU at 101c and resulted in both thermal and power throttling. After I undervolted and turned off turbo, it stays nice and cool, but hangs out at 2.4ghz so it’s not performing as well as it could.

lol I ordered to same one on sale last week I think and am very nervous about the heat (I was properly warned ITT and told to get a cooling pad). I tried to see if it could be canceled as it was supposed to ship March 15th, but it ends up it will arrive tomorrow. Whoops!

Here's the reddit thread on undervolting the 15r3 that I was planning to follow as I am a dumb computer baby. They don't turn off the turbo entirely, but restrict how much power it can draw (or how long it can draw it for? I dunno). Maybe try that? But also some people's laptops just seem to run hotter than others out the box.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/isic55/alienware_m15_r3_share_your_throttlestop_settings/

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Are the Alienware's still using tripod designs for their heatsink plates (the part that makes contact with the die)? Because if so holy poo poo, they have had major thermal issues since R1 with a tripod mounting mechanism not providing enough pressure between plate and die.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Does anyone here have experience with the Matebook 14? I'm a sucker for no Bezels, and the 2K screen on this one looks amazing. But, that poo poo is expensive, so just looking for impressions. Any other super-thin bezel superstars out there for a reasonable price? Not a gamer or heavy user / video editor, just normal every stuff really.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sigma 6 posted:

Ah - that makes a lot of sense!!

Any opinion on Dell or HP for highend laptops? HP Omen line looked kind of interesting. Same with the Gigabyte Aero.

I just don't understand why some of these manufacturers are chintzy with ports or webcams but I guess you have to cut corners somewhere.

Frustrating how some of these manufacturers have have their ram soldered on. It isn't like that's a detail that's advertised or easy to discover. Like the some of the alienware models have soldered ram? WHY??

I have an Omen from ~ 18 months ago and love that thing, definitely going with HP for my next one. I had a Dell gaming laptop for a few months before the Omen, albeit a lower end one (G3), and... eh. I liked the case and keyboard, screen sucked, upgrading RAM was a no go. It wasn’t soldered, just any RAM stick I used would not let the thing boot. I checked compatibility every time, and nope. No go.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I just got a G5 15 SE 4800H / 5600M / 16GB / 250nit 120hz model, ordered when Dell was offering that spec for $799. It's good enough, I think: the silver/holographic lid is dumb, the max brightness on the screen is pretty low but I don't expect to use it outdoors, and it's not silent while playing games. It gets 100+hz with moderate settings in WoW or comfortably quiet at 60hz, and I decided against returning it to get something better when I realized that HP Omen would be almost twice the price after adding in the very reasonable 1440p and 3070 upgrades. I'm pretty much always going to prefer playing games on my desktop and a Gaming Laptop is going to be some combination of big/heavy and hot/loud, so something fairly inexpensive and good enough seems like a reasonable choice.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

A lot of the newest thunderbolt docks also support USB-C as well and unless you are running a lot of monitor resolution off of it, you really aren't going to notice much of a difference (if any) in functionality.

I have a HP Thunderbolt Dock similar to what I had a work and it works fine with a single 1440p monitor + previous gen G14 with USB-C / PD Input port.

Imagine you run into issues if you wanted to use the multi-monitor monitor setup through the Thunderbolt dock for bandwidth issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

etalian posted:

I have a HP Thunderbolt Dock similar to what I had a work and it works fine with a single 1440p monitor + previous gen G14 with USB-C / PD Input port.

Imagine you run into issues if you wanted to use the multi-monitor monitor setup through the Thunderbolt dock for bandwidth issues.

Yes, and understand that having a thunderbolt port is no guarantee you are free of those limitations either.

My work T480, due to how the internal displayport is configured, is limited. The Intel 620 has three output channels. If configured at DP1.2, they have 17.28gbps of bandwidth. Thunderbolt 3 supports up to 8x displayport channels, so no problem right?

No, because Lenovo splits those three output channels. As near as I can figure, one goes to the internal display, one goes to the HDMI port, and one goes to the thunderbolt port (or the USB-C port, they have the same output).

The data bandwidth for a 1080p monitor at 60Hz is 3.20 gigabits per second.
The data bandwidth for a 1440p monitor at 60Hz is 5.63 gigabits per second.
The data bandwidth for a 4K SDR monitor at 60Hz is 12.54 gigabits per second.

2x 1080p60 or 1x4k60. That's all it supports on the thunderbolt port. I did manage to get it mostly stable at 1x1080p60 1x4k30 (but for some reason 1x1080p60 1x4k60 was somewhat unstable even though it's less than 17.2gbps). However, 1x1440p60 and 1x4k30 is completely unstable even though it should work from a bandwidth perspective and it takes an alignment from the stars (and not breathing on the thing) to get it to come up at all. I had to go to a displaylink enabled USB-C dock to make 1x1440p60 1x4k60 to work, however that was too taxing on the CPU and I kept running into throttling(along with the subtle display lag.)

Thunderbolt has more bandwidth, but how things are wired internally matters along with what version displayport is used.

Since the Asus Zephyrus G15 has DP1.4 on the USB-C port wired directly to the discrete 3070, 4 lane output with DP alternate mode means 20gbps of bandwidth, which means that my G15 with USB-C only output can drive more monitor on a single connection than my T480 via Thunderbolt 3. It just wouldn't support USB devices on that single connection at the same time. Though, "support USB connections" seems dubious on my T480 as my USB mic drops constantly if I'm using it off either the USB-C port or the Thunderbolt port via dock. This is across multiple different docks.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Yes, and understand that having a thunderbolt port is no guarantee you are free of those limitations either.

My work T480, due to how the internal displayport is configured, is limited. The Intel 620 has three output channels. If configured at DP1.2, they have 17.28gbps of bandwidth. Thunderbolt 3 supports up to 8x displayport channels, so no problem right?

No, because Lenovo splits those three output channels. As near as I can figure, one goes to the internal display, one goes to the HDMI port, and one goes to the thunderbolt port (or the USB-C port, they have the same output).

The data bandwidth for a 1080p monitor at 60Hz is 3.20 gigabits per second.
The data bandwidth for a 1440p monitor at 60Hz is 5.63 gigabits per second.
The data bandwidth for a 4K SDR monitor at 60Hz is 12.54 gigabits per second.

2x 1080p60 or 1x4k60. That's all it supports on the thunderbolt port. I did manage to get it mostly stable at 1x1080p60 1x4k30 (but for some reason 1x1080p60 1x4k60 was somewhat unstable even though it's less than 17.2gbps). However, 1x1440p60 and 1x4k30 is completely unstable even though it should work from a bandwidth perspective and it takes an alignment from the stars (and not breathing on the thing) to get it to come up at all. I had to go to a displaylink enabled USB-C dock to make 1x1440p60 1x4k60 to work, however that was too taxing on the CPU and I kept running into throttling(along with the subtle display lag.)

Thunderbolt has more bandwidth, but how things are wired internally matters along with what version displayport is used.

Since the Asus Zephyrus G15 has DP1.4 on the USB-C port wired directly to the discrete 3070, 4 lane output with DP alternate mode means 20gbps of bandwidth, which means that my G15 with USB-C only output can drive more monitor on a single connection than my T480 via Thunderbolt 3. It just wouldn't support USB devices on that single connection at the same time. Though, "support USB connections" seems dubious on my T480 as my USB mic drops constantly if I'm using it off either the USB-C port or the Thunderbolt port via dock. This is across multiple different docks.

There's at least one update for the Thunderbolt drivers on the T480, have you looked into those? My work has pushed updates, but I haven't retrieved my dock to test it. We'll see, I have a new dock coming because apparently that's easier than getting mine from my desk? I'll know more soon I guess.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I use thunderbolt for eGPU CUDA stuff. There’s literally no other way to connect the video card so...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've updated drivers firmware etc. The connection overheats if it's driven near capacity and the connection becomes unstable.

When I was on dual 1080p monitors in the office with only a mouse and keyboard connected to the dock, everything was fine. Beyond that though, it basically breaks down.

I can connect my XPS 13 to the thunderbolt dock and from a single port and drive 1440p144 and 4k60 without breaking a sweat. Part of that is ice lake, but a bigger part is not having to accommodate legacy display outputs.

I cannot wait until they refresh devices and I can get rid of this thing. I'm already on my second one after the first developed a memory fault after a year. At least I managed to get it to recognize the 2nd battery again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting. Playing around this evening it looks like I'm getting the same gaming performance out of the Zephyrus G15 on a 65w power delivery adapter as I am with the full 200w adapter. I'm sure it will probably deplete the battery, but I wasn't expecting it to run at the same clip.

Makes me think I should move my 100w USB-C adapter to the couch and I won't need the full adapter for short gaming stints.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
How much would I regret replacing my current laptop with the base model lenovo legion if I often use my laptop on my lap?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
TB3 and display chat:

I use a HP Thunderbolt G2 dock with my work provided HP Elitebook 840 G6. The wiring of the dock and the interfacing with the system has me plugging my 4K monitors into one display port and the other into the USB-C port with a DP to USB-C adapter. Plugging both into the display ports: no dice as together they don’t have enough bandwidth to drive the pixel count at the refresh rate.

My other TB3 dock, a Caldigit TS3+ when plugged into the laptop would cause the machine to fail to boot if something was plugged into the USB-C port that was wired for passing through DP. HP claims to have fixed this in a recent bios update (which I’ve installed) but I haven’t pulled the dock out of the box to check.

The HP dock has been great and the built in speakerphone is pretty nice for meetings.

I wish that TB3 included a power on button as part of the standard instead of the manufacturer specific implementations that Dell, HP, and Lenovo have implemented.

shrike82 posted:

I use thunderbolt for eGPU CUDA stuff. There’s literally no other way to connect the video card so...

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do with CUDA? Always interested in hearing about people’s real world uses of CUDA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How much would I regret replacing my current laptop with the base model lenovo legion if I often use my laptop on my lap?

Which one and what are you doing?

I use my G14 on my lap all the time, it's frickin fantastic when not using the dGPU. If I'm doing something that is using the dGPU it gets warm. Not as bad as my old Pro-star (MSI clone) but it's still a 2060 in a small form factor, so there's heat. I'd expect the Lenovo Legion to be similar.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

hobby machine learning stuff (kaggle competitions)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My Dad is looking for a laptop to use in the living room, so that when my Mum wants to show him something on her iPad and he wants to see it on a bigger screen, he doesn't have to wander over to the office to his Windows PC.

He's ideally looking for something with a 15" screen because his eyesight sucks, which doesn't seem to get a lot of listings in the OP recommendations. His first choice was some HP thing, but I don't think they have the best reputation right? What can I get him that I'm not going to be doing remote tech-support on? No macbooks/chromebooks, he wants to be able to install what he has on the office PC onto the laptop.

I expect it to mainly be used for youtube, facebook and house listings.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

My Dad is looking for a laptop to use in the living room, so that when my Mum wants to show him something on her iPad and he wants to see it on a bigger screen, he doesn't have to wander over to the office to his Windows PC.

He's ideally looking for something with a 15" screen because his eyesight sucks, which doesn't seem to get a lot of listings in the OP recommendations. His first choice was some HP thing, but I don't think they have the best reputation right? What can I get him that I'm not going to be doing remote tech-support on? No macbooks/chromebooks, he wants to be able to install what he has on the office PC onto the laptop.

I expect it to mainly be used for youtube, facebook and house listings.

Budget/Availability in your country is a big "sorting" criteria but there are good options such as 2:1 14"/15" (HP Envy or Lenovo Yoga Series)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

etalian posted:

Budget/Availability in your country is a big "sorting" criteria but there are good options such as 2:1 14"/15" (HP Envy or Lenovo Yoga Series)

Yeah this'll be New Zealand, which definitely rules out special methods like outlet stores etc. I'll look into what the envy/yoga goes for locally

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Having a really hard time deciding here.

The MSI machines seem available in so many configurations and I have had two different people recommend the MSI Stealth GS55 - which is $1500 at Best Buy right now. After doing some research I see that there is an M15 variant as well, which looks pretty similar.
One with RTX 2060 available now for $1500
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834155659?Item=9SIA7ABDET1567
and one available with RTX 3060 also for $1500 ( ... but not out for another two months.)
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834155830
I feel like the GS55 is a slightly better deal here
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gs...p?skuId=6409057
but there are a lot of options for MSI. Including this one MSI GF65 Thin at 1300
https://www.newegg.com/core-black-msi-gf-series-gf65-thin-10ue-071-gaming-entertainment/p/34-155-716
Even saw a few models with ports on the back, which I really like. It makes more sense to send video out of the back of a laptop vs. the sides. Also - most MSI laptops have webcams, which I need for my job.

On the ASUS side there is the G15 - which I was recommended via this thread. It's a little more than what I want to pay at around $1800 but it's hard to beat that CPU / GPU combo of a Ryzen 9 + RTX 3070. I was leaning heavily towards the G15 based on what I have read and the recommendations in this thread, despite the lack of webcam and thunderbolt port.

Then I saw there was a ASUS TUF DASH which was $1450, had the RTX 3070, and thunderbolt.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...p?skuId=6448936
... just no Ryzen, or webcam, of course ... :(

Lastly this ASUS M15 comes in at $1640 with a RTX 2070 BUT has 2TB SSD and 24G of ram soooo...
https://www.newegg.com/dark-gray-asus-rog-zephyrus-m15/p/2WC-000N-02FH5
That's pretty tempting, even though I know I can potentially upgrade the G15 later with more SSD and ram. Hard to resist starting with 2TB and 24G of ram, given that I have a surface book 2 with 512 HD and 16GB ram. I am telling myself that a 10th gen I7 isn't worth it just for just more space and ram but the thunderbolt port makes it a little tempting. The screen on the ASUS M15 is also kind of disappointing at only 1920x1080 but then that's also the same as the MSI GS66 Stealth and MSI 15M I was looking at. *ugh*

My priorities are CPU / GPU as a 3d artist but as an animator I want as much space I can get. Also, ram of course. After that both screen and weight are important since I will bringing the laptop to a lot of gigs. I am nervous of MSI's build quality but the one's I have seen in Best Buy seem fairly solid. My last MSI laptop broke something like 8 years ago, so maybe it's time to give them another chance. On the other hand - none of the laptops I have looked come close the cpu benchmark of the Ryzen in that Asus G15.

It's feels like a choice between power vs. ports and expandibility.

What the heck. There is an ultra slim ASUS G15 with that Ryzen 9, RTX 2060, and only $1300?!?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QV7KMQZ

Help! Too many drat options.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 3, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The G14 will be really portable, but smaller and you pay a bit more for it. Very good build quality and excellent thermals for it's size, but it'll still run warm.

G15 is a lot like that, slightly better thermals with the larger chasis. That $1300 G15 is a great value if you want CPU cycles for days. You can upgrade the ram in that pretty easily, and I think you're going to want external SSD options anyway.

The MSIs are good machines, they will just run a bit hotter and and some models have hinge issues, but they are pretty good. Be aware 2070s (and 3070s) will run hot no matter what.

That Tuf Dash is also a hot price for those specs. TUFs are OK. A step down in build quality, probably on-par with the GS series in MSI.

So I think you have a lay of the land. If you can say what your top priorities are the winner should be obvious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The TUF Dash 15 isn't very performant for the price. Dave2d talks about it here in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdRipT1L28 along with the Acer Triton 300 SE. H35 chips are a tough preposition unless it's a sub $1100 device.

I mean, the TUF Dash 15 gets the only SLIGHTLY better framerates at 1080p that the G15 does at 1440p even though they both have an RTX3070. It's CPU constrained and it's also only an 85w total package rather than 100w like the G15 so the graphics card is starved for power. At the right price, it could be a nice package, but $1400 isn't that price.

H35 chips should really be in $800 notebooks with 1660Ti cards or something.

This is a case where it's VERY much better to buy last year's Ryzen+RTX2060 combo for the same price if you can.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 3, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The TUF Dash 15 isn't very performant for the price. Dave2d talks about it here in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdRipT1L28 along with the Acer Triton 300 SE. H35 chips are a tough preposition unless it's a sub $1100 device.

I mean, the TUF Dash 15 gets the only SLIGHTLY better framerates at 1080p that the G15 does at 1440p even though they both have an RTX3070. It's CPU constrained and it's also only an 85w total package rather than 100w like the G15 so the graphics card is starved for power. At the right price, it could be a nice package, but $1400 isn't that price.

H35 chips should really be in $800 notebooks with 1660Ti cards or something.

This is a case where it's VERY much better to buy last year's Ryzen+RTX2060 combo for the same price if you can.

Oh real good call. Yeah I think for his rendering needs he really should strongly prefer Ryzen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How much of a pain is a screen replacement on an HP Omen? Mine’s busted and I don’t want to get a new laptop until the 2 and 3 series GPU’s are more widely available.

E:actually, with my use case I think I may just buy a small cheap 1080p tv and use that as a portable knockaround monitor.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 3, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How much of a pain is a screen replacement on an HP Omen? Mine’s busted and I don’t want to get a new laptop until the 2 and 3 series GPU’s are more widely available.

E:actually, with my use case I think I may just buy a small cheap 1080p tv and use that as a portable knockaround monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P28zduZYVWY

Looks pretty easy. Replacement screens can be had for $80-100 on ebay, might find them slightly cheaper if you hunt around a bit.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

Oh real good call. Yeah I think for his rendering needs he really should strongly prefer Ryzen.

Yeah - this is indeed the struggle. The Ryzen's are cooler and at least on the synthetic benchmarks seem to trounce intel.
The intel machines seem less powerful but more well rounded. Especially because of the thunderbolt, which I really want to take advantage of for HD space. Lack of webcam on the Asus machines annoy me because I have gotten used to the webcam on the machine I have.

Do I go with the Best Buy G15 which has the RTX 3070? Or go with the newegg version where I can max out the RAM (40gigs!) for abouot the same price but get stuck with the RTX2060?
https://www.newegg.com/black-xotic-pc-rog-zephyrus-g15-ga502iv-ph96-gaming-entertainment/p/2WC-000N-02D77

Or go with the more well rounded but slower MSI GS66 or ASUS TUF DASH - both around 1500 ?? Which it sounds like you guys are saying are very similar in builds.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...p?skuId=6448936

The MSI GS66 stealth did impress me a lot but I didn't get a chance to try out a Asus TUF as I have had bad luck with Best Buy.

Also that Asus M15 I linked to earlier is now out of stock. drat. https://www.newegg.com/dark-gray-asus-rog-zephyrus-m15/p/2WC-000N-02FH5

bull3964: Thank you! It sounds like maxing out the newegg version of the G15 might be the way to go. Will I see that much difference between 2060 and 3060? If the jump is marginal I would rather have the 40 gig in RAM (because 3d). Also - is there a different ultra slim version of the G15? I was confused by that. Or is it the same?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 4, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The newegg link is for the GA502. Last year's model. So, it's not the latest ryzen, not the revised cooling system, not the QHD display.

I would not pay a premium for it which is what Xotic PC whole thing. They buy them up, crack em open and do pre-upgrades and sell at a premium.

I'm not sure what your RAM requirements are, but the GA503 comes in two variants. One is the RTX3080 with 32gb of ram (2x16) and one is RTX3070 with 16gb (2x8). One bank is soldered. So the 3070 is max 24 gb of ram (with the first 16gb dual channel) if you replace the 8gb model with a 16gb.

Just an FYI with that 40gb model. They took the base GA502 with 8gb soldered and plunked another 32gb stick in there. So it may be 40gb of ram, but only the first 16gb is dual channel just like the 24gb config for the GA503. I don't even think that's technically a supported configuration from Asus.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The newegg link is for the GA502. Last year's model. So, it's not the latest ryzen, not the revised cooling system, not the QHD display.

I would not pay a premium for it which is what Xotic PC whole thing. They buy them up, crack em open and do pre-upgrades and sell at a premium.

I'm not sure what your RAM requirements are, but the GA503 comes in two variants. One is the RTX3080 with 32gb of ram (2x16) and one is RTX3070 with 16gb (2x8). One bank is soldered. So the 3070 is max 24 gb of ram (with the first 16gb dual channel) if you replace the 8gb model with a 16gb.

Just an FYI with that 40gb model. They took the base GA502 with 8gb soldered and plunked another 32gb stick in there. So it may be 40gb of ram, but only the first 16gb is dual channel just like the 24gb config for the GA503. I don't even think that's technically a supported configuration from Asus.

Wait - is there a 32 gig version of the G15 which retains the dual channel config? I only see 16, 24 and 40. Regardless, I definitely want more than 16 running Maya and I don't relish the idea of cracking open a laptop - even though I know both the ram and SSD HD should be easy to install. Seems like from what you are saying - unless I pay for the for the 3080 variant, I won't get 32 gb dual channel. I can't even find the G15 RTX 3080 32GB anywhere (?)

Looking very closely at this best buy link but the idea of having 8 gigs soldered on is really deterring me. I mean.... eventually I would just want crack it open myself when I could afford the 32GB RAM upgrade. However - guess I would have this year's gpu and cpu. Which seems like the best bang for buck at this point.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

Guess I am wondering if this year's G15 is really that different from last year's when you consider Xotic's extra 32 GB chip. Sounds like the answer is yes...or are the G15 3080's underpowered and not worth the jump in price? I can't even find one for sale. Dual channel 32 GB would be great, regardless if one chip was soldered on.

Lockback: I am almost ready to pull this trigger on that bestbuy link above even though it is a bit over my budget. Don't know what you mean by external SSD though. Through USB3? There is no thunderbolt with AMD obviously. The Amazon G15 with the 2060 is a full 500 bucks cheaper (1300) than the G15 with the 3070 at Best Buy (1800). That seems like a steep bump for the difference between 2060 and 3070 but ok.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 4, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are 4 models of the GA503 (the 2021 G15).

RTX3060/512gb/16gb
RTX3070/1TB/16gb (I think this is a Best Buy exclusive config)
RTX3080/1TB/16gb
RTX3080/1TB/32gb White

Prices are $1499/$1799/$1999/$2499

All have half their factory ram soldered on. Otherwise they are the same, same screen, same processor.

Anything that has the RTX2060 in it is a 2020 GA502 model. It wasn't a bad device as far as I know, but it's the last gen Ryzen processor (Ryzen 7 4800HS or Ryzen 9 4900HS vs the Ryzen 9 5900HS.) The 2021 GA503 has a COMPLETELY redesigned chassis that has the design language of last year's G14 which includes a redesigned thermal system and liquid metal as the thermal interface. The GA503 also has a 90w battery vs the 76whr battery in the GA502. The GA503 has a 1440p screen whereas the GA502 is 1080p.

The RAM situation is exactly the same in the GA502. Models that came from the factory with 16gb had 8gb soldered. Models that came with 32gb had 16 soldered. Someone selling it in a 40gb configuration means it's 8gb + 32gb module. Again, though, while that config may work, Asus doesn't officially support 32gb DIMMs in these notebooks.

Supply for all models is severely constrained right now. The $1799 best buy config is the most readily available. They obviously box you into the top end spec if you want 32gb of RAM and that's $2499.

So, you are either at peace with 24gb of max officially supported ram (with only the first 16 being dual channel), or you buy the top end spec. Equation doesn't change if you look at last year's model. 40gb may work unofficially, but you are still only using the first 16gb as dual channel.

If you want to buy last year's model, don't buy one with extra ram since it's trivial to take these things apart and I'm sure you can get a DIMM for less than the premium they charge. It literally took me 15 minutes to pop a second 2tb NVMe drive in my G15 yesterday. I would take the $1499 GA503 RTX3060 spec over a $1300 GA502 RTX2060 model any day of the week as the extra $200 is worth it in the screen alone, but it's tough finding that model right now.

USB-C is fine for an external drive and won't be any slower than thunderbolt unless you had some sort of SSD RAID system that would saturate the 10gbps connection. Don't forget though that these have a 2nd NVMe slot that's unused so you can pop another internal drive in there. I put a $200 WD SN550 2tb drive in mine earlier in the week. Getting the back plate off is a bunch of screws (with three under rubber nubs) but it's super easy. The NVMe screw was hard though, no lie there. Had to use a rubber band to get enough torque on it without stripping it. You can't put a lot of downward pressure on it since the motherboard isn't supported there.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

There are 4 models of the GA503 (the 2021 G15).

RTX3070/1TB/16gb (I think this is a Best Buy exclusive config)

Prices are /$1799/

The $1799 best buy config is the most readily available. They obviously box you into the top end spec if you want 32gb of RAM and that's $2499.

So, you are either at peace with 24gb of max officially supported ram (with only the first 16 being dual channel), or you buy the top end spec. Equation doesn't change if you look at last year's model. 40gb may work unofficially, but you are still only using the first 16gb as dual channel.

Thank you for all the help!!

The Best Buy one is what I have in the cart right now ... I don't understand the 24gig bit. Does it not recognize all 40gigs of RAM if you max it out? Only 24? I plan on getting the 16gig variant from Best Buy and popping in 32 gig chip like Xotic did. Sounds like it isn't too hard. What is the SSD HD max? 4 TB?

Did some research and the Gigabyte AORUS was what was rated as the G15's primary competitor for what I do.
32 gig RAM, full SD card slot and the same price as the G15 but I am reading that in most ways the G15 is better. Notably that Ryzen.
Not gonna lie. I like my arrow keys and it looks like the G15 doesn't have them (?)
Also - wait - there is no print screen key on the G15 ?!?
... What? I actually use that daily. Ugh.

Last whim is this MSI i9 refurb.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-P65-Creator-654-Productivity-Thunderbolt/dp/B07QP4Y176/ref=sr_1_21
It is cheaper than the G15 and better in some ways... but the i9 doesn't seem to rate as well as the Ryzen and of course it is the 2070 instead of the 3070.

I suppose if I buy the G15 from Best Buy I can always return it in 15 days, as is their policy. Hmm.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 4, 2021