Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

The two main times I appreciate my QHD+ resolution on my 13 inch laptop: remoting in to any device with a display res > 1080p, looking at and manipulating images

These are just my two examples that I frequently use. Multitasking with the higher res is a little nicer too. More screen pixels = more battery usage, that would be your downside. Also, in the case of my laptop, getting teh QHD+ screen meant you had no choice but to take a touch screen, which added gorilla glass/some weight to my model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I'll take the con.

Windows is mostly dreadful at scaling; the only way it ever works is to have everything at 100% so FHD is it for a 14".
It also helps for being able to play the odd game at a native res instead of scaled.
Multitasking is no better on QHD unless you're running that at 100% which more power to ya, but is a bit crazy.
Presentations and multi-monitor setups are usually easier when your internal screen is FHD.
Minor battery life improvement from FHD screen.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

Hmm thanks, yeah I think I'd be happy with FHD, just that sometimes the only option with the i7 models is 4K... any thoughts on i5 vs i7 (1135G7 vs 1185G7 to be specific)? i5s have always been fine in the desktops I've had for the last decade or so, not sure if that's a good reference for a laptop though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Any suggestions for a solid tbolt 4 eGPU enclosure? Don't need super max performance, I'll probably stick an RTX3070 or thereabouts in it. Maybe just an RTX3060ti class.

Do these even exist yet

yikes!
Jul 5, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

Do these even exist yet

The GPUs definitely don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

I used all my good luck for the year and got a 3060ti at MSRP in January.