Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

roomtone posted:

I've got a legion 5 with a 5800H and rtx 3060 on it.

Been running cyberpunk 2077 - cpu temp is going up to 95c while playing, GPU is between 70-80 usually (which i think is fine). Is this CPU temperature something to be concerned about? AMD seeems to have a statement that temps of 90-95 are within expectations but y'know, other people say that's way too high.

I already tried a method of changing the registry to enable a hidden power setting and disabled boost mode, but it had absolutely zero impact on the temperature. Still running at 95c, still running at what looks like 60fps+ (haven't measured exactly). I don't think it actually did anything at all.

Am I fine or is there something else I can try? Everything is running really smoothly, it's just the heat I'm concerned about. I ordered a cooling pad anyway, even if it doesn't cool the CPU it will still work for me as a stand and some extra USB.

Nope, CPUs just run real hot right now. A cooling pad might help quite a bit, depending on your current surface, but those temps don't strike me as particularly concerning or unusual on a game like CP2077.

I'd guess the CPU is probably throttling somewhat when it gets above 95, so it's keeping itself within it's own specs, which is why the power settings stuff didn't do anything. This isn't a problem really, it's doing what it should be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

cool, thanks. Like I said the cooling pad will have other uses, if it cools it a bit also then that's just a bonus which is probably all in my mind anyway.

I just need to have peace of mind that I'm not gonna burn this thing out while I'm playing games. You don't want to be worrying about hardware when you're trying to enjoy a game.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 19, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

roomtone posted:

cool, thanks. Like I said the cooling pad will have other uses, if it cools it a bit also then that's just a bonus which is probably all in my mind anyway.

I just need to have peace of mind that I'm not gonna burn this thing out while I'm playing games. You don't want to be worrying about hardware when you're trying to enjoy a game.

You might be able to find a setting for temp-based cpu throttling in your BIOS (might be called tjmax). You could set that to whatever you feel is a more comfortable point (85C?) And it'll throttle cpu speeds to maintain it under that temp.

MacBooks have this feature enabled by default :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

Still pretty early but I think I am narrowing it down to a Asus Zen 23.8 AIO

I live in :canada: so we get extra hosed on price, but I see a Ryzen 5-5500/512 SSD/16GB for just under $1K.

e: I could go cheaper than that, but then we start getting into total econo CPUs and/or 4GB RAM or reconditioned Dells or something.

That's more than I was looking to spend, BUT, the Lenovo AIO 3 I was looking at was the same price and had 8GB, i5-10400t and 256GB. I think I like a 5500U over a 10400t.

I was at first leaning towards the Lenovo because my corporate company issued AIO 8th gen has been pretty reliable if chuggy with a loving HDD.

Mrs. Slidebite really likes the AIO asthetic too, so we'll probably go that way. The Lenovo does have an optical drive, but I think I have a USB one somewhere if she really gets bent out of shape about it.

If the Asus Zen isn't garbage tier and absolutely stuffed with crap, I'll probably just go that way. She hasn't had a new computer in many, many years.

I ordered the Aus Zen AIO with the 5500U because it was on $100 off and sale was ending.

We'll see how much I loathe my first prebuilt in years next week.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Not news to anyone posting regularly here, but swapping the SSD in my new T14 Gen 2 was extremely easy, as someone who hasn't opened up a laptop ever.

edit: I'm also very happy with the build quality of this T14 Gen 2 thus far, and was reasonably happy with the Thinkpad X1 Carbon gen 7 it's replaced (though I felt the X1's trackpad was not competitive w/ Macbook at all, while this T14's trackpad is great). Feels solid, very happy about the keyboard

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 21, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

that's good. upgrading the ram on the legion 5 was pretty miserable. it feels like they really don't want you to open it, coming from an elitebook which is literally just a switch on the back and the whole thing is open. getting into the legion 5 took about 20 minutes, and i skipped disconnecting the battery because the connection seemed so fragile i didn't think i would be able to avoid destroying it.

gonna have to open it one more time to put in another nvme drive but then that's it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That's another common, big difference between business and consumer grade laptops, the ease of maintenance. Generally I think the quality difference between the two is overblown the last few years but yeah, opening up a consumer laptop, while very doable, can be painful.

Replace screens is pretty bad too, which is a shame since that's a real common "If I do this myself it only costs $150 vs $500+".

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Just curious. Does anyone have an opinion on the best tablet / "transformer" out? I learned to really love my surface book but I am not sure if I want to go the same route for a tablet built into a laptop. It has been tempting to just get a used ipad ... I can't believe I just typed that ... but used Surface Book's go for significantly less than new ones do, it is possible to get a pretty good deal on a used one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165292449217?hash=item267c329dc1:g:QyIAAOSwjV1h6Tli

Honestly, I hated not being able to upgrade my old surface book but I loved having the tablet built into the machine. Having a separate tablet (wacom / monoprice / huion whatever) to plugin on the go is a pain compared to the surface book. On the other hand the surface book is kind ridiculously priced new and I am curious if there are serious competitors out there for the same experience. HP Envy?.... I hate that most of these "transformers" don't have Nvidia GPUs. Radeons just not very appealing. Just wondering if any CG artists wanna weigh in on their tablet of choice. Wacom Mobile Studio was a hard no for me. Trying to carry around less and I don't want to have to carry around a bunch of extra stuff. Including an extra ipad to plug into my current laptop but at this point it might be a strong option over buying another surface book. Cost of ipad vs. used surface book 3 vs. Envy? Hmm.

Also - although not a transformer / tablet - I saw my friend's Legion and was kind of impressed. Ports on the back, webcam and number keypad are kinda nice. RGB keyboard is a little obnoxious though. SUPER bright and animated.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 21, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For art it's basically iPad Pro or Surface. The Envy is capable but you'll just end up wanting a WACOM pad anyway. I like the Envy (and Spectre) line quite a bit otherwise, and generally am pretty positive around the 2-in-1s, however if your use case is "I want to use this thing to make art without a seperate drawing peripheral" I think you'll regret not going iPad or Surface (and the iPad probably takes the top spot).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess apple is putting some limitations on number of items each .edu email can buy now, one item per major product category per year, one MacBook pro, one MacBook air, one Mac mini per year etc

Discount is usually pretty good, it's like a 12-15% on the entry level MacBook Air

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Lockback posted:

For art it's basically iPad Pro or Surface. The Envy is capable but you'll just end up wanting a WACOM pad anyway. I like the Envy (and Spectre) line quite a bit otherwise, and generally am pretty positive around the 2-in-1s, however if your use case is "I want to use this thing to make art without a seperate drawing peripheral" I think you'll regret not going iPad or Surface (and the iPad probably takes the top spot).

Hmm. My friend attached his ipad to his MSI GS66 Stealth and I was shocked that the ipad would work as a tablet (basically a cintiq) for zbrush on his laptop. He was running zbrush on the MSI and using the ipad as a cheaper cintiq alternative. He said he had to pay for an app to do it but that's still a better alternative to the cintiq I think. Cintiq's have gone way down in price but the "ipad plus apple pencil" thing feels better and more natural and (used) is definitely cheaper and smaller than a cinitq.

Just really got spoiled using my surface book for all those years and am trying not to lug around a bunch of extra stuff. However an ipad will fit in the same bag with this Asus G15 pretty well I think. Just fought getting an ipad forever becaues my surface book 2 really did serve me very well for many many years. I am anything but a mac fanboy. I kinda hate the ipad format (no USB?!? WTF?!?!?) but I can't argue with the drawing / painting experience with the apple pencil and procreate. I guess the appeal for me here is to run zbrush on this beefy Asus laptop with the advantages of the ipad as a tablet (apple pencil / portability). Just haven't figured out the right portable setup yet and surface book 2 did it very very well for years and I am missing that tablet / portability thing. Also there are a LOT of ipads to look through. Soooo many of them. The range is a little staggering and if I am going to pay close to 1k I feel like I should just go ahead and buy a "real computer".

OK - after talking to my friend about using an ipad for zbrush he told me the pressure sensitiivty DOES NOT WORK with zbrush using his MSI. That's why he ended up buying a Huion Kanvas. So that's a deal breaker. :(

The cinitq pro 16 is very portable but not cheap apparently (due to the 4k screen) but there seem to be a lot of used non pro versions in the area for a lot less than 1k ... drat ... back to square one.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 22, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Two heads up:

Common thread recommendation Macbook Air is onsale in warehouse at Costco for $849. I know a lot of people like to buy from costco due to their included warranty, and this is basically as low as it ever goes. https://www.costco.com/macbook-air-....100688138.html

For people looking for a good desktop replacement, Alienware M15 R4 with a 3070 & GSync for $1,371. Alienware are actually pretty decent now but I rarely recommend them because they are usually overpriced. There are some other good 3070 deals too with Alienware if you want to click around
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/member/productdetail/cok5

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wow, that laptop/desktop replacement is a smoking deal. That's a $3K laptop in :canada:

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I’m laptop shopping and after following thread a bit I’m down to two models. I want a num pad, don’t care about 120hz screen, and want a Ryzen. Looking like either a Legion or an Asus ROG. Any strong opinions between the two I should take in to consideration? Looking to spend 1000ish give or take a couple hundred bucks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tnuctip posted:

I’m laptop shopping and after following thread a bit I’m down to two models. I want a num pad, don’t care about 120hz screen, and want a Ryzen. Looking like either a Legion or an Asus ROG. Any strong opinions between the two I should take in to consideration? Looking to spend 1000ish give or take a couple hundred bucks.

Which ROG and which Legion?

Generally both are great. ROG is usually a little better at battery and heat management, Legion is a little more powerful (both are generally good performers and both have real good battery life though). I like the ROG line a bit more but for mostly subjective reasons (I like the design and material choices). I'm responding to this on a G14, but I have a gaming desktop so portability is a bigger need. Most people are really happy when they use either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If all my PC games are Epic Game Store "giveaways" and possibly Fallout 4, am I safe buying any laptop over like 600€ or do I need to put some money into it? (I'm not buying it for games but would be nice to actually play them.)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If all my PC games are Epic Game Store "giveaways" and possibly Fallout 4, am I safe buying any laptop over like 600€ or do I need to put some money into it? (I'm not buying it for games but would be nice to actually play them.)

Might depend on the laptop, mostly the video card. I think Control was an Epic store giveaway at one point, so no it won't play everything. If you get a Ryzen or a 11th gen Intel it will do a decent job on probably most stuff (though I even question if simple looking games sometimes won't run). 10th gen Intel will probably limit you a bit more, but there's a lot of stuff on there that will probably run fine, so you'll definitely have some options sorta no matter what.

If you can get something with a 3050, 3050ti or maybe even a 1650 then a lot more of the catalog is definitely playable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lockback posted:

Might depend on the laptop, mostly the video card. I think Control was an Epic store giveaway at one point, so no it won't play everything. If you get a Ryzen or a 11th gen Intel it will do a decent job on probably most stuff (though I even question if simple looking games sometimes won't run). 10th gen Intel will probably limit you a bit more, but there's a lot of stuff on there that will probably run fine, so you'll definitely have some options sorta no matter what.

If you can get something with a 3050, 3050ti or maybe even a 1650 then a lot more of the catalog is definitely playable.

What's the keywords I have to look out for?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's the keywords I have to look out for?

If your not sure, you can post what you find here.

If you want to game, I'd get a Ryzen CPU (Ryzen 5 or 7) or a i5 Intel that starts with 11, that will let you do a bunch of stuff but not nearly everything. OR, if it has a video card that is a 3050, 3050ti, 2050, 2060 or something that starts with 16. If you have one of those CPU doesn't matter and it will generally be much, much better for gaming.

I really don't know UK prices very well, but something like this is pretty good though a bit above your price
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Katana...direct=1&sr=8-7 (8GB or RAM isn't great here but I believe it can be upgraded down the line)

A step up in many ways is something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-G513I...s%2C184&sr=8-13

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think that is a pretty fair summary.

When I was recently looking for an AIO (first time I looked for a new prebuilt in years) I was pleasantly surprised to see how the GPU aspect of the APUs are.

While you're not going to play a AAA game with all options, from what I researched it looks like you likely can play a ton of games at modest settings, which for a PC for my wife is plenty, and to be honest I'd rather do this instead of building a new PC due to the pain in the rear end some components (GPUs especially) are.

Ended up with a Ryzen 5-5500U 16GB based unit and should get it tomorrow or Weds. I'm kind of anxious to play around with it and see how good it really is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Motherfucker. Apparently the X1 with the 11th gen CPU that I ordered in like November is being delivered right now. Just a month or so before the 12th gen thinkpads will be out. Well no guessing when those would actually be shipped so it's not like I had much of a choice but fuuuuk.

E: it's here.

I don't know if I'll be able to live with a silver-ish Thinkpad. Not to mention the Tiger lake CPU.

But otherwise it's pretty nice. Keyboard travel is shorter than on the T series but not as bad as the XPS. Pen feels pretty good. It also charges slowly from my power bank, which is cool. Although the power cable takes up more space than the charger lol.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 27, 2022

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Hey everyone, forgive me if I'm treading over old ground, I did search the thread but didn't really find anything recent about the very cheap laptop market. I am looking for a sub $300 laptop that is really just for word processing, internet browsing, and doing some very minimal art stuff on something like canva.

It's been a long time since I bought a laptop and I'm sure the $300 and under market is going to be full of bad options, help me navigate cheap laptops goons!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Truly sub-$300 you're almost certainly better off buying used, you might find a Thinkpad T460 with 8+GB of ram or maybe a T480.

If you go up in price and want new, if you have Costco near you this is a pretty decent deal sub $400
https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-laptop---11th-gen-intel-core-i3-1125g4---1080p-windows-11.product.100793915.html

But even then I might prefer the T480.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Lockback posted:

Truly sub-$300 you're almost certainly better off buying used, you might find a Thinkpad T460 with 8+GB of ram or maybe a T480.

If you go up in price and want new, if you have Costco near you this is a pretty decent deal sub $400
https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-laptop---11th-gen-intel-core-i3-1125g4---1080p-windows-11.product.100793915.html

But even then I might prefer the T480.

I definitely appreciate the advice and I do happen to have a current Costco membership, so that is an option, thank you

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a Thinkpad T460 w/ 2 docks that I'm about to sell on ebay. I'll shoot you a PM.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you can get a nice T460 for under 300, that's a decent deal (if you want a Lenovo).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Comatoast posted:

I've got a Thinkpad T460 w/ 2 docks that I'm about to sell on ebay. I'll shoot you a PM.

Which two docks do you have? I need a thunderbolt 3 or 4 dock.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Lockback posted:

Which ROG and which Legion?

Generally both are great. ROG is usually a little better at battery and heat management, Legion is a little more powerful (both are generally good performers and both have real good battery life though). I like the ROG line a bit more but for mostly subjective reasons (I like the design and material choices). I'm responding to this on a G14, but I have a gaming desktop so portability is a bigger need. Most people are really happy when they use either.

Turns out I needed to research more lol. Am now down to looking between two legion models. Gen5 premium has an amd 6600 video card and could max out to 32 gb ram, but only has white backlights for the keyboard.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=82NWCTO1WWUS1

This gen6 has a nvidia 3050, but only maxes out at 16 gb ram (why????).

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=82JWCTO1WWUS1

Overall the port selection looks good for legion, and I hear it has a nice keyboard. Does anyone know if you get two actual memory slots these days, or if the first memory stick is soldered?

After looking at ASUS’ actually closely, the TUF laptops look best for me because for the life of me I couldn’t find a ROG model that has a ryzen AND a keyboard with a real numpad. Am I being an old for wanting a SSD and a HDD vs 2 SSDs?

This looks kinda close but not exactly:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-Hig...=8-3&th=1&psc=1

Also any good sites for us buyers to search for besides newegg and Amazon? Newegg’s kinda sucks and there doesn’t seem to be a direct asus site with TUFs

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to set the charge thresholds on the ThinkPads without using Vantage? It works but is kind of bloated and annoying for just this one feature.

Otherwise I'm quite liking it, though I'm noticing the shorter key travel more that I hoped. And they stylus is a bit difficult to get out since it sits so flush with the body.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Tnuctip posted:

Overall the port selection looks good for legion, and I hear it has a nice keyboard. Does anyone know if you get two actual memory slots these days, or if the first memory stick is soldered?

i got a legion 5 and both are replaceable. you can put in 2x32 gb sticks if you want. i've got 16 in for now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

VelociBacon posted:

It's hot yoga, it flips around if you block the exhaust port.

thread title now imho

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Fwiw I don't hate the yoga-or-whatever-it's-called, surprisingly. Had to compile wifi drivers from some github repo but other than that everything works well. Sturdy metal chassis. Good keyb. It's fine. :)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Any recommendations for a production laptop ~$1,000 budget?

I'd think an i5 or mid tier AMD equivalent would be fine. 16GB RAM preferred, 15" screen preferred but neither are deal breakers. Just looking for a solid, reliable laptop to use for Finance/Accounting software.

Laptops are outside of my experience, haven't bought one in a long time and I'm not sure if there are brands to avoid like there are with desktop prebuilts.

Appreciate the help, guys.

Edit:

No gaming. Production in this case is finance/accounting work, so a larger screen where reading is a little easier is a little more important than other factors. No dGPU needed. Battery life isn't especially important.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 31, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Any recommendations for a production laptop ~$1,000 budget?

I'd think an i5 or mid tier AMD equivalent would be fine. 16GB RAM preferred, 15" screen preferred but neither are deal breakers. Just looking for a solid, reliable laptop to use for Finance/Accounting software.

Laptops are outside of my experience, haven't bought one in a long time and I'm not sure if there are brands to avoid like there are with desktop prebuilts.

Appreciate the help, guys.

What's the use case? Music production? Video production? You looking to play games or get a long battery life?

That's probably a good price point (usually a little higher steps you up, but you're within spitting distance probably). I'd definitely set 16GB of ram as a requirement there though.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Lockback posted:

What's the use case? Music production? Video production? You looking to play games or get a long battery life?

That's probably a good price point (usually a little higher steps you up, but you're within spitting distance probably). I'd definitely set 16GB of ram as a requirement there though.

Apologies for the complete lack of detail — no gaming. Production in this case is finance/accounting work, so a larger screen where reading is a little easier is a little more important than other factors. No dGPU needed.

Edit: Battery life isn't especially important.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 31, 2022

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

FISHMANPET posted:

I picked up that Microcenter Legion 5 yesterday, and I just gotta say, holy crap is that a giant power supply. First power supply that takes a standard desktop power cord that I've seen. 300 watts! No idea if the computer ever comes close to needing all that power, but holy crap.

I’m looking at getting that exact laptop, any regrets?

Probably direct through Lenovo’s site, they’re on sale now but exact same specs.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/637182/lenovo-legion-5-15-156-gaming-laptop-computer-blue?storeid=029

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Tnuctip posted:

Probably direct through Lenovo’s site, they’re on sale now but exact same specs.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/637182/lenovo-legion-5-15-156-gaming-laptop-computer-blue?storeid=029

I got a legion 5 pro from Walmart about two weeks ago and it’s nice so far. The brick is huge and the laptop is a little chunky but it runs cool and the screen is nice. It was only 1399 for the 580h/3070/16gb model.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Apologies for the complete lack of detail — no gaming. Production in this case is finance/accounting work, so a larger screen where reading is a little easier is a little more important than other factors. No dGPU needed.

Edit: Battery life isn't especially important.

Ok, so bigger screen is usually not considered better or even more expensive. If you didn't care about screen size I'd say a Thinkpad T14 AMD with 16GB of RAM is your best bet at about $1,150. But it's "only" a 14" screen. If you do want a larger screen at that price point you're probably into consumer lines, which I don't think is a problem but you'd probably be happier with the business line.

If you want 17" then, I'd probably say the HP Envy 17. It's intel, for some reason HP puts the better AMD CPU on their lower-end laptops, but a 16GB HP 17T with an i7 will be plenty fast.

Tnuctip posted:

Pretty universally considered a great laptop, you can use a 100W USB-C charger (I am almost certain) for a lighter option when you don't need to go all out for hours.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 31, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have a 65W GaN charger for my L5P when I don't want to carry the brick, which is basically always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I have a 65W GaN charger for my L5P when I don't want to carry the brick, which is basically always.

These are loving rad little pieces of technology that make me believe maybe someday we'll get to star trek level stuff

Size of my thumb, will charge every device our family owns except my wife's iPhone, loving brilliant. That one charger can keep up with the entire family on a trip