Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Does anybody make higher end laptops without discrete GPUs? My work laptop is starting to have stuff fail on it (accidentally yanked a cord sideways and now the HDMI out sometimes makes fun rainbow patterns and the wifi radio stops working randomly) and it's 5+ years old so I've got a bunch of work budget to cash in

I've been looking for:
- metal chassis
- numpad
- fast cpu (compiling, math on medium size datasets)
- 32 GB+ RAM ($250 of work dollars is worth it when it's "Save 15mins of person-time every one-off analysis you do by writing lazier code that throws everything in memory")
- don't much about portability, it's mostly desk<=>lab<=>conference room

but it seems like new model CPUs and more RAM only show up in gaming laptops that also have an expensive dGPU that I don't care about.

bike tory posted:

Obviously there's no way to tell but it seems like the RAM is more likely to become a bottleneck than a slightly better processor?
RAM will be a sharp cliff where everything is mostly fine then abruptly sucks horribly. Processor will be a gradual falloff.

So insufficient RAM is more likely to be the cause of a "I want to do X but it's intolerably slow" than a 5% CPU improvement, but there are enough 16GB computers being sold now that I'd expect games 5 years from now to still be aiming for that market & on the good side of the RAM usage cliff, you just might have to close stuff instead of multitasking. Extra RAM would be hedging against the future, but won't do anything for you until that somewhat-unlikely-thing actually happens. 5% CPU improvement is useful regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do you actually need a numpad on the laptop itself or are you open to having an external USB numpad

Thinkpad or toughbook might be good options for you

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Have Some Flowers! posted:

And lastly question for anyone, is buying a laptop that I plan to use internationally (US/AUS/NZ) just a matter of getting the right power supply/adapter? Or should I be considering more

The power supply will almost certainly work anywhere with a suitable adapter, but if the brick has a detachable power cable, a nicer and higher quality option could be to get several cables with different wall plugs.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm looking to recommend a PC laptop in the ~$750 range to my sister. She plays some indie games, but nothing that an integrated video couldn't handle. The most important things are build quality, battery life, and portability (competing, I know), in that order. We've decided on 14" (preferred) or 15" screens. She does have a Microcenter nearby (Chicago), but their offerings seemed more gaming focused.

Ok, I've been looking at the Costco laptops deals, how do these look?

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 14" Ryzen 5 5600U 16gb ram 512 SSD $649. Looks very similar to the one recommended before that we were going to buy, but I've heard people say IdeaPads aren't built all that well. - https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideapad-5-pro-14%22-touchscreen-laptop---amd-ryzen-5-5600u---2240-x-1400---windows-11.product.100794404.html

MSI Prestige 14" - i7-1195G7, 32 gb ram, 1 tb SSD. $799. I had been leaning towards AMD (is that smart?), and 32gb RAM is huge overkill for her, but this is marked down a ton and seems ok. Is it built well? Battery life? - https://www.costco.com/msi-prestige-14-intel-evo-platform-laptop---11th-gen-intel-core-i7-1195g7---1080p.product.100794666.html

HP Envy x360 15.6" Ryzen 7 5700U 12gb ram, 512 GB SSD. $779. Probably my 3rd choice of these 3, but seemed interesting enough to ask about - https://www.costco.com/hp-envy-x360-15.6%22-touchscreen-2-in-1-laptop----amd-ryzen-7-5700u---1080p---windows-11.product.100793951.html

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Envy is the nicest build of the 3, though 12GB of ram is kinda weird.

Ideapads are ok. For $649 its probably a decent deal. I'd do that or the Envy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got a prebuilt desktop 13 years ago where 12gb of ram was the advertised max. Which was kind of weird. Eventually they released a BIOS flash that allowed hexa-core Xeons and 24gb of ram.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hadlock posted:

I only played halo on my buddy's Xbox I mostly missed out on that generation and played a ton of quake 1 on my pentium 90 with 32mb ram

There are some utilities, or at least used to be, that would allow you to allocate more than X GB ram to the GPU than the BIOS/UEFI UI led you to believe was the maximum

Also, when you have integrated graphics, I think this is still the case, the CPU will underclock the GPU first, to take thermal pressure off the die, before it begins to underclock the CPU. So if you're having chug problems could just be thermal in nature, especially if you're really pushing things with a AAA game and no RAM is going to fix that. You'll have to log clock rates to watch that. My x230 could decode and export ultra high bitrate blue ray rips to my TV but about 30 min in it would heat soak and once it started dropping the GPU clock rate, video got choppy fast

The game is running on the dGPU but it's all piped through the iGPU for output regardless, and having a 4k resolution means all those windows have a big memory footprint even if they're not especially demanding in computation. Though given it's a laptop the thermals are probably not helping in any fashion either.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Casimir Radon posted:

I got a prebuilt desktop 13 years ago where 12gb of ram was the advertised max. Which was kind of weird. Eventually they released a BIOS flash that allowed hexa-core Xeons and 24gb of ram.

The original "Nehalem" Core i7 CPUs had three RAM channels, sharing basically everything with the Xeon W3500 series, so a 3x4GB config wouldn't have been out of line. It was an odd setup in the overall PC world but 6 and 12 GB configs were normal for that particular line of CPUs.

12GB in a modern laptop means something's mismatched.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Do you actually need a numpad on the laptop itself or are you open to having an external USB numpad

Thinkpad or toughbook might be good options for you
Having another thing to lug around on top of a couple usb-to-serial converters, usb-to-ethernet, a jtag pod, and a usb hub to connect all that would be annoying enough that I'm resigned to ending up with a 17" laptop to get the numpad

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well ok then good luck with that

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Any goon reckons on the ASUS ROG laptops? The Zephyrus g14 looks like it'd do all the stuff I want for a reasonable price, and it reviews really well for build quality and stuff.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

bike tory posted:

Any goon reckons on the ASUS ROG laptops? The Zephyrus g14 looks like it'd do all the stuff I want for a reasonable price, and it reviews really well for build quality and stuff.

The 2021 g14 is the thread favorite for a lightweight gaming laptop that also has a long lasting battery. Its a safe buy if you need to actually move your laptop around. The new 2022 I haven't seen much about yet and I don't know if its actually purchasable atm.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Thanks!

The 2022 version is a decent upgrade over the 2021 version for not too much more, and also includes a built in webcam, so I'm giving some serious thought to throwing down the extra $300ish for one.

I've narrowed it down to that or a 3rd Gen ThankPad X13, which is smaller and more portable and probably quieter, but doesnt have the dedicated graphics option.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

bike tory posted:

I have the 2020 G14 and it's amazing. It's geared toward portability though, so if it'll be living on a desk there are better options, like Legion, the G15 or even some of the HP options.

Comparison to the X13 is kinda weird. Are you going to be gaming on it? If so, the G14. If not, the X13 probably does the job better. If you're not sure, I will say I like the G14 a lot even as a non-gaming laptop.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I’d you don’t need a dedicated graphics card don’t get one. It just adds a lot of heat, weight, and battery drain for no reason.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'm not really comparing them, more trying to decide whether I give myself the option of more graphically intense poo poo or just stick to the PS5 for that. I realise that's a personal choice and not something this thread can advise me on.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I need to buy a 2-in-1 laptop for my dad. His last laptop spontaneously stopped working. What I want:
- Good build quality
- A CPU that doesn't run windows like rear end
- 16 GB of RAM

He spends all his time doing paperwork and always has dozens of tabs open. Anyone got a suggestion?

e: oh and budget is around 1k USD

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 8, 2022

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

VostokProgram posted:

I need to buy a 2-in-1 laptop for my dad. His last laptop spontaneously stopped working. What I want:
- Good build quality
- A CPU that doesn't run windows like rear end
- 16 GB of RAM

He spends all his time doing paperwork and always has dozens of tabs open. Anyone got a suggestion?

e: oh and budget is around 1k USD

HP has one at 1k that would more than fit your dads needs.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convert-15-eu0097nr

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, Envy x360 is probably exactly what you want.

This $600 Flex would be the budget option.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BG96KFJ

I'd feel like the Envy is worth the extra money if you plan on using it for a while. I quite like the Flex, my daughter has one and I may get her another, but its starting to fall apart after 3 years.

Here's an Envy that's an in-between in price and perf. It's from Costco, which has a very good return/warranty (and is in stock)
https://www.costco.com/hp-envy-13.3....100794663.html

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Does the Zephyrus g14 have a setting to turn off the GPU and just use the on board chip instead? Like when not plugged in or whatever?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it should be in the Armory Crate settings.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bike tory posted:

Does the Zephyrus g14 have a setting to turn off the GPU and just use the on board chip instead? Like when not plugged in or whatever?

Yes, you can, it's configurable. The AMD AGPU is pretty good too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Foxfire_ posted:

Does anybody make higher end laptops without discrete GPUs? My work laptop is starting to have stuff fail on it (accidentally yanked a cord sideways and now the HDMI out sometimes makes fun rainbow patterns and the wifi radio stops working randomly) and it's 5+ years old so I've got a bunch of work budget to cash in

I've been looking for:
- metal chassis
- numpad
- fast cpu (compiling, math on medium size datasets)
- 32 GB+ RAM ($250 of work dollars is worth it when it's "Save 15mins of person-time every one-off analysis you do by writing lazier code that throws everything in memory")
- don't much about portability, it's mostly desk<=>lab<=>conference room

A bunch of the business Dells can be had without dGPU.
XPS13 Plus goes up to 1260P CPU and 32GB DDR5
Latitude 5531 has up to 12800H and 64GB DDR5, you can also option a 97Wh battery
Latitude 5431 has up to 1270P CPU and 64GB DDR5

Lenobo probably has something that will fit but their lines are such a mess it's impossible to find something that necessarily matches.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My sister has always used her work laptop for personal stuff, but they blocked gmail. She is also going to Europe for a month and doesn't want to rely on her phone for watching stuff and itinerary research, etc. She said she's looking for a small laptop or maybe tablet? Maybe a 2-in-1 Chromebook would be best? Seems like lots of options.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

My sister has always used her work laptop for personal stuff, but they blocked gmail. She is also going to Europe for a month and doesn't want to rely on her phone for watching stuff and itinerary research, etc. She said she's looking for a small laptop or maybe tablet? Maybe a 2-in-1 Chromebook would be best? Seems like lots of options.

Budget?

Macbook Air is the best option for the money. If she's looking for something less expensive, yeah a chromebook or even a Tablet/iPad of some sort. Or you can go with the 2-in-1 recommendations above, though at those prices you're basically at spitting distance of a MBA if you don't specifically want a 2-in-1.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

after thinking I'd buy a old thinkpad for tinkering, I realized I really just want a widows laptop for light (aka skyrim, fallout 4, age of empires 4 and maybe halo campaigns) gaming, and dragon diction, which should last me 5 years or so, and I saw this at costco.

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-legio....100794372.html

It's out of stock online, plenty in store. Is that a good deal? If I have it basically at home either docked to a 24 inch display or just in the lap/desk, are these pretty reliable? Again, I want this to play the games I listed (and whatever the next bethesda game is). I use mac's for actual work (though dragon dictation would be for work). In store I liked the display and keyboard. And the fact it felt sturdy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

LionArcher posted:

after thinking I'd buy a old thinkpad for tinkering, I realized I really just want a widows laptop for light (aka skyrim, fallout 4, age of empires 4 and maybe halo campaigns) gaming, and dragon diction, which should last me 5 years or so, and I saw this at costco.

It's out of stock online, plenty in store. Is that a good deal? If I have it basically at home either docked to a 24 inch display or just in the lap/desk, are these pretty reliable? Again, I want this to play the games I listed (and whatever the next bethesda game is). I use mac's for actual work (though dragon dictation would be for work). In store I liked the display and keyboard. And the fact it felt sturdy.

An RTX 3050 4GB GPU seems a bit anemic for a 165hz QHD screen and $1300 price tag, honestly. Especially if you're hoping for it to handle some light gaming for the next ~5 years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Low end, Chromebook

High end, MacBook air

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

~Coxy posted:

A bunch of the business Dells can be had without dGPU.
XPS13 Plus goes up to 1260P CPU and 32GB DDR5
Latitude 5531 has up to 12800H and 64GB DDR5, you can also option a 97Wh battery
Latitude 5431 has up to 1270P CPU and 64GB DDR5

Lenobo probably has something that will fit but their lines are such a mess it's impossible to find something that necessarily matches.
XPS don't have numpads. Latitudes do, but are hideously expensive (Dell wants like $3k for a 5531 with a i7-12800, 32GB RAM, and a 1TB NVMe). I was looking at that same Lenovo LionArcher was, but wrote it off since they were out of stock at online costco and 4+ month ship times from lenovo directly. I should go check local costco in person.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What do people think about Lenovo ThinkPad E14 with Ryzen 5 4500U for 650 euros? I might also look at the 14 inch model if I manage to convince myself that I don't need numpad, but that one will have half the storage. How's upgrading RAM on these models?
https://www.euronics.ee/it/sulearvutid/sulearvutid/20t8000gmx/sulearvuti-lenovo-thinkpad-e15-2nd-gen

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The ThinkPad E series are a low cost version that's not as well built as the T, P, X, et cetera, lines of thinkpad laptops. If that's your budget I'd look at a wider selection of laptops from other companies as well, because there may be better laptops for the money. If you can go a little higher (and I say a little but they're kind of pricey at this point) I'd try to get a T series if I was shopping for a thinkpad. Used/refurb thinkpads can be a good value but I'd make sure they're no older than 8th gen at this point at least for the additional cores and probably windows 11 compatibility cutoff.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have a "Thinkpad" E450 from way back and I've got to say that while the E-series build quality isn't any better than whatever other plastic piece of poo poo, it does have a Thinkpad level warranty in the EU at least. I blew up the usb ports with some poorly designed gadget (my fault) and I could send it in without the drives and they put a new motherboard in. All entirely for free within two years of date of purchase. I much appreciated that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

E and L don't have a metal frame so they're more creaky and flex more but yeah the electronic guts are still business class laptop and they come with the same keyboard

Stepping up to X,T,P is pretty noticable side by side IRL though

The E and L are the Toyota Yaris, X,T are Camry and P,X1 is a Lexus

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

LionArcher posted:

That is not a good deal. If your budget it that, get a Legion with a 3060 or a G14 (if you want something portable) or look at a G15.

Here's a better legion that is significantly better for gaming for $200 less
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6470819

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Need a Laptop Recommendation but I am Confused and Tiresome

I haven't bought a laptop in over 10 years (HP G60) and I need a new non-gaming laptop for IT field work. I'll also use it for some light Ableton work (I quoted their minimum specs below.)

I've been researching for weeks but yeeesh his market has changed, huh? I'm kinda surprised gaming laptops are so huge now. What's with all the shady looking resellers on amazon, new egg, tiger direct? But there's some technical stuff I'm not up to date with like chargers, Ethernet ports, webcam (see below)

Ideal features:
Battery life at least 8 hours
Storage 256-512 GB, probably the latter. NVMe please.
14 - 15.6" screen (I cannot make up my mind on this but laptops seem thinner and to weigh less than they did 10 years ago so I could go above the 14" I originally wanted)
Integrated GPU
16 GB RAM, at least
Windows OS
Strong Bluetooth/WiFi
Flexible on CPU (see Ableton specs below)
Quiet! Fewer fans and spinning disks, please.
USB-C charger (If I understand correctly, newer laptops don't have a dual cable+bulky charging block and can just use the same cable as my phone? That's so neat, I would love a tiny charger, I dread those old lumpy fatass power adapters)
3.5 mm audio jack, speakers, and webcam (1080p webcam would be cool but that seems very hard to find, I can settle on 720p).

Are RJ-45/Ethernet jacks still a thing? Having one would be nice but if it's a burdensome, archaic feature and I'm harming myself by clinging to the old world because using a USB adapter is the way of the future, I'm ok with moving on.

Futureproof (I know, I know). I'm not a shopper, I'll be using this laptop for years, and I have little interest in ever upgrading anything. So for budget, I'm willing to spend up to $1300 for something solidly reliable for years.

I've used a few different Lenovos at previous jobs and they were kind to me. I don't have time for their current shipping delays however.

I'm in NYC, so I'm never really far from connecting to anything, even my bus has WiFi and USB ports.

quote:

Ableton Live Minimum System Requirements
Note: While these are the absolute minimum requirements need to run Live, you may need higher specifications to work most efficiently.

Windows 10 (Build 1909 and later), Windows 11
Intel® Core™ i5 processor or an AMD multi-core processor
8 GB RAM
1366x768 display resolution
ASIO compatible audio hardware for Link support (also recommended for optimal audio performance)

I was thinking about this:
https://www.newegg.com/carbon-gray-msi-prestige-14evo-a12m-081-work-business/p/N82E16834156235?Item=N82E16834156235

but reviews on other sites are kinda middling, and reddit people repeatedly pooped on the Prestige line while repeatedly ignoring my pleas for elaboration.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My old Lenovo from 2014 crapped out; can't even boot the thing without it crashing and just kinda falling apart graphically before I even see the windows logo.

If I'm looking to replace it, I really think I'm more likely to entertain a budget/cheap option. I might play old rear end games on it, but by no means does a replacement need to be a workhorse in that area.

Is there anything to keep in mind if I'm exploring the cheaper end of the spectrum?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stuff bought at best buy will be built with incrementally cheaper components than the (almost identical) device sold online

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Stuff bought at best buy will be built with incrementally cheaper components than the (almost identical) device sold online

This is no longer true. If the model #s are the same the components are the same. They used to have special models they'd send to different retailers but that practice has been dead for a while from the big guys.

I'd sorry a little about some of the models that have non standard configs, but I suspect thats less about substandard parts and more about using stuff that was left over.

ProperCoochie posted:

Need a Laptop Recommendation but I am Confused and Tiresome

You have some conflicting needs here but:

1. You phone charger probably won't be strong enough to charge a laptop (maybe, but unlikely. More likely is using your laptop charger to charge your phone.

2. That prestige will probably not go 8 hours in real life usage, but it'll be close.

3. 12th gen Intel or Ryzen is probably your best bet, so in that sense the prestige is good.

4. MSI typically is not super robust, though I've also heard good things about people's experiences with the non-gaming ones so maybe its nice. But yeah, MSI uses a lot of standard parts and simple engineering for cooling.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm not super good at computer poo poo, but I've got a weird thing with my laptop. I noticed it gets hot and the fan runs constantly. So I opened task manager to see what program is using so much cpu power. Task manager shows it is using 100% of the cpu at first, within 5 seconds it drops to 30% and it'll start to cool down. It's been doing this for at least a year. What is going on? I like to lay on the couch with it on my chest and it gets too hot for that sometimes, but I'm mostly just curious what gives.

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably not the right thread for this, but I'd go look at the processes tab, figure out what is using all your CPU. Open task manager in admin mode and then... right click on the process (or sub-process, if it has a > in the far left column, click it so it becomes a v and keep digging) and end task, or at least take a screenshot

Your cpu should be running at 1-3% at idle, I have no idea but probably not a bad bet to say you have a virus or some kind of bitcoin miner thing running in the background

Backing up all your poo poo and reinstalling windows is never a terrible idea. I recommend doing it every year or so.