Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 20, 2006
I'm contemplating replacing my aged - and thanks to the Windows 11 upgrade now barely functional - Surface Book 2.

I like the look of this Lenovo Yoga 7 Gen 7 with the new AMD Ryzen 5 processors and integrated graphics:

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/Yoga-7-Gen-7-14%E2%80%B3-AMD/p/LEN101Y0016

I'm after something snappy, lightweight and capable of playing older games (say XCOM or Civ 5). And I've liked having a touchscreen ever since getting a Surface Pro back in the day.

Anyone got any insights on whether these new AMD Ryzen 5 6600/6800 systems are good? And whether the OLED panels on these Lenovo convertibles are any good? This model defaults to an OLED panel if I choose to upgrade the RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Normal Barbarian posted:

My X230 (which I bought refurbished 5-6 years ago based on this thread's advice) is getting old. What is its spiritual successor?

I would dual boot (or just run) Lubuntu. I would use it for general computing, as an ArduRover ground station, and to talk to my (full size) car.

I wouldn't game. The most performance-intensive thing I can think of, if it can easily handle it, would be some Tensorflow training/inferencing, but that isn't make-or-break.

I see the T470 mentioned, is that the go-to nerdbook?

Do you want something small? The T14 is nice, though you need to double check the Linux compatibility.

Ubiquitus posted:

I have a friend looking for a laptop, max range is 3-4K but if he can get something of equal value for lower that would be great. Looking for it to hold up for a few years, but it should be mostly for gaming. Open to all suggestions, he seems to like Alienware but I know they’re very overpriced.

Honestly, some of the best gaming laptops are around $1500-$1700 or less. As you go up from there it's really about overpriced bells and whistles. Alienware is decent, but yes, overpriced and typically battery hungry.

I'd suggest a Legion, this 5 Pro (from Walmart of all places) is pretty beefy
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-L...0DBUS/761504447

Or if you have a Microcenter this one has a Ryzen 6800 and a 3070ti (Which I didn't know had a laptop SKU). Probably not strictly worth the money over the other one, but it is better https://www.microcenter.com/product/649579/lenovo-legion-5-pro-16arh7h-160-gaming-laptop-computer-grey

Lockback fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 6, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

64057 posted:

I'm contemplating replacing my aged - and thanks to the Windows 11 upgrade now barely functional - Surface Book 2.

I like the look of this Lenovo Yoga 7 Gen 7 with the new AMD Ryzen 5 processors and integrated graphics:

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/Yoga-7-Gen-7-14%E2%80%B3-AMD/p/LEN101Y0016

I'm after something snappy, lightweight and capable of playing older games (say XCOM or Civ 5). And I've liked having a touchscreen ever since getting a Surface Pro back in the day.

Anyone got any insights on whether these new AMD Ryzen 5 6600/6800 systems are good? And whether the OLED panels on these Lenovo convertibles are any good? This model defaults to an OLED panel if I choose to upgrade the RAM.

Yes the Ryzen 6800 is good, currently the best mobile CPU. OLED is also fine, there is some burnout risk with OLED but today's OLEDs are very resilient and I would guess the screen wouldn't dramatically fade through the average life of a laptop. That said, while I love OLED TVs, I think on laptops they are maybe a little more niche? Not as big of a perk I would say.

Yoga 7s are pretty nice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pixaal posted:

Sounds like the ribbon may have been not in all the way. Or that sounds like what happens when you don't have a VGA cable plugged in all the way and I'm making some assumptions on how that monitor is signalling internally.

On the first one, the backlight failed after someone sat on it one too many times. Display was still functional though.

On the replacement panel, somehow a tiny ant crawled between the screen and the polarizer and promptly died

Hadlock posted:

:argh:

edit: it's much sharper in person, and it's 3D, so it looks like you can just brush it off the screen, which you can't. It's the visual equivalent of having a mosquito buzzing in your ear. Mostly harmless, but constantly at the edge of your attention.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Lockback posted:

Do you want something small? The T14 is nice, though you need to double check the Linux compatibility.

Honestly, some of the best gaming laptops are around $1500-$1700 or less. As you go up from there it's really about overpriced bells and whistles. Alienware is decent, but yes, overpriced and typically battery hungry.

Or if you have a Microcenter this one has a Ryzen 6800 and a 3070ti (Which I didn't know had a laptop SKU). Probably not strictly worth the money over the other one, but it is better https://www.microcenter.com/product/649579/lenovo-legion-5-pro-16arh7h-160-gaming-laptop-computer-grey

Perfect, this lines up with what I was thinking. I have a legion and I love it. I’ll pass this along, thanks!

Jul 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

Yes the Ryzen 6800 is good, currently the best mobile CPU. OLED is also fine, there is some burnout risk with OLED but today's OLEDs are very resilient and I would guess the screen wouldn't dramatically fade through the average life of a laptop. That said, while I love OLED TVs, I think on laptops they are maybe a little more niche? Not as big of a perk I would say.

Yoga 7s are pretty nice.

Thanks! I would probably actually opt for the IPS but as long as the OLED isn't positively bad I will probably go for it upgrades and all...

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

OLED looks way better imo and the only reasons not to get it if it's an option is budget or battery life. They tend to be more expensive and they
use about 10-20% more power than IPS screens under normal use, which is not really an issue if the device has a decent sized battery like that Yoga 7.

The 6000 series Ryzen chips are way ahead of Intel in the current gen mobile space, unless you're looking at a 16"-17" device that'll be plugged in al the time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

OLED screens slap, that's a fact Jack :c00l:

Seriously though, huge huge upgrade

People talk about screen burn in but realistically hasn't been much of an issue since the early 90s except for the worst of library monitors left on the login screen all day

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mental Hospitality posted:

There a few sites that sell replacement screens;

https://www.screencountry.com/
https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/

Never had to try to use one though so ymmv.

Trip Report: LaptopScreen worked swimmingly, shipped day-of and arrived a day earlier than predicted, and the screen works perfectly.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Ifixit has a guide, it's not a bad repair:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo+ThinkPad+T470+Display+Panel+Replacement/141530

Try and find the lenovo part number then search ebay for it, you'll find a bunch i'm sure.

This, however, is insane. Everything from step 3 to 55 is unnecessary. Maybe it was slightly less convenient working on the front bezel while the lid was still attached, but it honestly wasn't bad at all. I followed this video and it worked perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uIo8iCpR2U

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bike tory posted:

Update: Lenovo have offered me a refund or a replacement. I think I'm going to take the refund and buy a different unit.

Update 2: Lenovo have approved the refund and asked me to send the device in to them so it can be processed. I wrote back to tell them that they already have the device. They seem to have lost it. The issue has been "escalated".

:dumbbravo:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

bike tory posted:

Update 2: Lenovo have approved the refund and asked me to send the device in to them so it can be processed. I wrote back to tell them that they already have the device. They seem to have lost it. The issue has been "escalated".

:dumbbravo:

You're gonna end up owing them money by the time this is all said and done, mark my words.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
digital river are entirely legit one of the worst companies i've ever dealt with, and i only tolerated them because they accidentally hosed up in my favour

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
Hey all, new to gaming laptops and could use some advice! Got a bunch of traveling come up staying a few months in a few different spots, and looking to upgrade to a gaming laptop instead of trying to relocate a gaming desktop constantly.

Budget is ideally no more than $2000, mostly play a lot of games like Baldur's Gate 3, and looking forward to similar upcoming high-graphics RPGs. I'd likely hope to use the laptop with a dual monitor setup most of the time; 1440p would be awesome but not sure if I'm reaching to much for the budget since the mobility of the laptop is most important.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16" , but not sure where the Ryzen 6800H falls and concerned the 3050 Ti would be under strength for the dual monitors.

Is there a recommended laptop that would fit that use case, or would I likely need something above my current budget? Thanks!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Lockback posted:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hello pals. I acquired a Life book U904 from a storage unit cleanout I invested in. Is this thing worth anything? It worked for like 3 weeks but the screen appears to have crapped out. In weighing getting it repaired or quoted but want to know if it's worth it.

Thanks to whoever can clear up this mystery. I see it for like 2.5K but I don't know if that's MSRP or price and I can't find any on eBay for sale.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hello pals. I acquired a Life book U904 from a storage unit cleanout I invested in. Is this thing worth anything? It worked for like 3 weeks but the screen appears to have crapped out. In weighing getting it repaired or quoted but want to know if it's worth it.

Thanks to whoever can clear up this mystery. I see it for like 2.5K but I don't know if that's MSRP or price and I can't find any on eBay for sale.

Unfortunately, it's not a diamond in the rough. Any prices you see up are someone listing new old stock at the original MSRP or they're just wishing.
Here's the datasheet:
https://www.shopfujitsu.com/pdf/notebooks/Notebook-computer-LIFEBOOK-U904-Ultrabook-datasheet.pdf

It's a haswell laptop (4th gen intel, 12th gen is current) from 2014. It was like 2+ grand when it was new because it has a nice display (3200x1800 touchscreen IGZO) but I doubt you'd get over 2-300 bucks for it now even if the panel was working. If you part it out the SSD might be worth 20 bucks and the ram a little bit less since it just has one removable sodimm that will be an 8GB DDR3 sodimm maximum. The screen and the ultrabook thinness were its selling points.

There's three on ebay listed for parts at around $80 each with no hard drives that are scratched up but claim to boot into the bios. I don't see any completed auctions except for parts from them.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l2632&_nkw=fujitsu+lifebook+u904&_sacat=175672

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I mean it's an 8 year old dual core laptop. It looks like it shipped with a ludicrously high DPI screen for the era though which probably doesn't help performance. Did you enjoy using it or was it slow as poo poo? I'd say repair is going to cost way more if it's even possible than a cheap/mediocre laptop that will outperform it significantly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean maybe there's some nutjob out there in the US who collects old fujitsu laptops, they're not super hyper common

You'd be lucky to sell it for $250 on craigslist. Might get $600 on ebay if you manage to find the autist right collector in japan but he likely already has that model

Most likely junk at this point. Amazing but true. I have a similar era i7 Dell I fished out of the trash, cleaned up and put on craigslist for $150, never sold

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah after further research I realize the reviews were from 2014.

It was nice to navigate on.

Thanks for keeping me from getting lold out of SA mart had I listed it for a G or something terrible

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Looks like you can actually buy a ROG Flow x16 with a 3070ti + mini LED screen from ASUS now.

~$3k shipped. Was really hoping for 32GB/2TB at this price. :(

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 7, 2022

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
My 2018 XPS 13 has had battery issues for over a year (sub-1 or -2 hours on a full charge depending on the current lunar phase), and it's also getting a little long in the tooth given its 8 GB of RAM. Should I get a new one (with an i5 CPU with a "-U" suffix) or has the Goon-Recommended Laptop changed since then?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The laptop market looks way different than it did in 2018, it's mostly much better quality wise, though the lower end can be trouble. XPSs are fine but not what I usually recommend. What's your use case, budget and wants?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Use case: Work (I'm an inclusion teacher who moves from classroom to classroom), testbed for indie gamedev, drawing & low-end 3D modelling, recording & futzing around with VSTs, amateur programming
Budget: Maximum of $1500
Wants: Light weight, full HD resolution -- 16:9 or 16:10, 13" display (15" would be nice but that likely contradicts with my other wants), quiet & cool in everyday performance (which for me means two web browsers open -- I usually don't have more than 6 tabs open at once), 512 GB SSD, lengthy battery life, 16 GB of RAM

I don't need a dedicated GPU -- I have a desktop with one, and it's good to have an integrated chip machine around for the aforementioned gamedev.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do you want a smaller screen 13-14, or a larger 15-16, or huge 17. It doesn't really impact much, so which do you prefer?

At your price range you should be able to get whatever you want, so do you want a GPU or get something that is maybe a better battery?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

13-14" and no dedicated GPU is my preferred setup. I was getting a little peeved at times juggling around small windows for grading and lesson planning, but I've carried around 15" and 17" monsters in the past and don't want to go back to those non-"thin and light" days. If I need more screen real estate at work, I can always connect to one of our smart boards or use a co-teacher's second monitor.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Leroy Dennui posted:

13-14" and no dedicated GPU is my preferred setup. I was getting a little peeved at times juggling around small windows for grading and lesson planning, but I've carried around 15" and 17" monsters in the past and don't want to go back to those non-"thin and light" days. If I need more screen real estate at work, I can always connect to one of our smart boards or use a co-teacher's second monitor.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15955303-l...6-57-if-student

This seems to fit your requirements fairly well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15955303-l...6-57-if-student

This seems to fit your requirements fairly well.

Yeah, that's a helluva good deal at that price. I'd say look at the Thinkpad T14s too, but I don't think you'll beat out the 13s at that price. I would jump on this right away.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Are Yoga devices good? I can get a really good deal on one of the new Yoga Slim 7 ProX with an R7 6800HS from the Lenovo education store and I'm contemplating that over a ThinkPad.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
iirc they use the branding interchangeably depending on the region; in one region the Yoga line is the Thinkpad line i wanna say

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yoga is lenovo's brand for convertibles

Lenovo also owns/bought the Thinkpad range of laptops from IBM, and most/all of the convertible laptops in the Thinkpad range also receive Yoga branding

Yogas in general are pretty good, I don't think in like 10 years I've ever heard of anyone complain about them, but they're not gonna be Apple quality either

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Hey. Got a good deal on a 2022 Legion 5i pro and super happy with it. Anyone have any experience turning off the turbo boost or undervolting the cpu or similar?

It’s totally fine and I’m loving it so far but then tried Cyberpunk and HWM shows me a spike to like 99celcius on the CPU hotspot. Now I’m not sure if that’s accurate or if it spikes up to that then settles back down after a short bit. Was running it on Balanced mode. I hear the new CPUs run more hot but ehh.

If I wasn’t running a monitor program I would never have noticed it as everything else is staying pretty cool with the gpu around 75-85 for instance.

It’s only Cyberpunk that’s causing it so far atm as well so it might just be something there or a setting I need to tune down or off. Everything else the CPU never seems to go over like 85-88 tops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

How long was the spike? A few seconds or a single data point?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The new Intel processors will do that. That's what turbo boost does, the processor just goes balls to the wall until it hits that limit then the clock speeds wind back, the fans kick in and it should settle in around 70°C.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah they figured out like 12+ years ago that they would hit the thermal limits of the tiny laptop enclosure long before they maxed out CPU performance. John Carmack talks about this in his mobile gaming keynote at quakecon ~06

Every house/climate is different so if you're doing something crazy like high end video games, it'll dial the CPU up to 100% until the temp gets to 95°c and then dial back the clock speed (turbo) until you reach 85-95°c and keep it there, periodically adjusting

Browsing sa on chrome you're probably barely cracking 15% CPU so it'll dial the clock multiplier balls to the walls 11-17x because you're way below the TDP (thermal design envelope)

Your computers clock speed changes a couple times a minute, that's totally normal

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

If you really want to mess with it, I think Intels XTU software allows undervolting. You may even be able to dial down the power limits through there or in Bios. You might end up leaving some performance on the table.

On my lovely ryzen dell I disabled boosting so the processor just runs at its base clock or even lower. All I use that machine for is occasionally web browsing or streaming, so having it top out at 45°C and never ramp up the fan is preferable even though I've basically cut it off at the knees.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Ok I had a play around and checked it out with Afterburner while playing rather than alt tabbing in and out.

Like you said, it spiked for a super short moment actually and it’s now purring along at like 65-74. Tabbing out to HWM and seeing the max value at 100 just spooked me before.

HWM monitor shows higher values temporarily like 86 or so but I’m guessing it’s because Afterburner averages the reading out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Occasional one-off datapoints can also be ignored if it otherwise is consistent, thermal readings on consumer hardware isn't always exact. My only slight concern is it might be a thermal paste issue. If you do a CPU benchmark after "warming it up" a little bit you should still get within a few % of what you'd expect out of your mobile benchmark. If it's way lower you may have a thermal paste issue, which can cause heat to build up and not transfer out in an efficient way. This can be devious because it'll look fine until you go over a threshold and then it will need to throttle way more than it should.

There's like a 5% chance it's that though. Most likely its normal behavior as Hadlock mentioned.

Temps in the 60s/70s are very good, and in the mid 80s while under load is also pretty solid.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah also where you are Matters A Lot

Running the laptop in a sunny window? Hot

In the shade, but lots of sun? Western/southern exposure? Hot

Hot climate? Arizona/, Texas/Florida etc? Hot

Air vents clogged with pet/human hair? Using it on a fluffy blanket? Hot

Using it in a room with a ceiling fan/floor fan? Less hot

Using it in Wisconsin in January? Probably use it to mine Bitcoin in the winter for heat

Having a fan on within 5' of the laptop + pointed in your general direction can do wonders for laptop performance + minimize amount of fan noise

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Speaking of cooling, anyone know the usable lifespan of liquid metal TIM? My Asus has it, and since I can see myself using it for many years, I may have to mess with it eventually and it's worrying me a little. I suppose if it ever gets to the point of "The CPU is too hot to function properly" I'll know it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dells now have weird wake on sleep issues