Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Can someone with wisdom please give me a sanity check on this Thinkpad P14s? It looks like a good deal to me - RAM, current gen, AMD, etc - but I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious. Don't need a super computer, just something that will last a few years and has a decent battery. I posted in January about possibly getting a Framework but ultimately elected not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Nothing wrong with it that I can see.

The 7840U/1TB SSD/64GB RAM/3200x1800 OLED version of that was on sale for $1009 last week, and as someone who got that model a few months ago I have been very happy with it. However, there's no telling how long it will be until it goes on sale again and if you don't care about those upgrades then of course there's no point in waiting around.

e: It looks like the one you linked also has a 3 year warranty, which is probably worth another $150-200 over the standard 1 year if that's something you would want to buy from Lenovo anyway.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 22, 2024

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Thanks, I think I'll pick it up then. I did see that deal for the OLED version but I got scared off by reports I saw about the battery life. I'm sure it's fine but at a thousand dollars I am a little more discerning about details.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Can someone with wisdom please give me a sanity check on this Thinkpad P14s? It looks like a good deal to me - RAM, current gen, AMD, etc - but I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious. Don't need a super computer, just something that will last a few years and has a decent battery. I posted in January about possibly getting a Framework but ultimately elected not to.

Yeah that's great. The 7540 is a really good CPU. The only real "problem" is the 256GB SSD is kinda small, but that's an easy swap or you might be fine with it.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What lower end gaming laptops are at the top of the pack? I’m looking at entry level stuff around the $800 mark to snag a dedicated gpu and replace a bottom of the barrel machine I’ve been using at work.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
The Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 (2022) model is on sale for $699 currently.

https://shop.asus.com/us/90nr09u1-m00ec0-rog-zephyrus-g14-2022.html

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

drat, already out of stock.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://shop.asus.com/us/90nr08a5-m000j0-g513rc.html
This is a really good deal, this was a high-end laptop not too long ago

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745673-REG/lenovo_82xv005gus_15_6_loq_15irh8_gaming.html
This is alright.

Outside of that....uhh, there's not much. You'd want at least a 3060/4050. That G15 up top is a great deal.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Lenovo has some deals on their LOQ gaming lineup. They're the more budget oriented machines they sell.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/loq-laptops/lenovo-loq-16aph8/82xu000xus

quote:

AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840HS Processor (3.80 GHz up to 5.10 GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4050 Laptop GPU 6GB GDDR6
16 GB DDR5-5600MHz (SODIMM) - (2 x 8 GB)
512 GB SSD M.2 2242 PCIe Gen4 TLC
16" WUXGA (1920 x 1200), IPS, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 45%NTSC, 350 nits, 144Hz

810USD

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

drat, you can now get a 4070 with an i7 for $1,200. That's a incredible amount of value and you can pretty much play every game.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Gucci Loafers posted:

drat, you can now get a 4070 with an i7 for $1,200. That's a incredible amount of value and you can pretty much play every game.

Yeah. That's less than what I paid for my 3060 machine a few years ago. And things like DLSS and frame-gen should keep it useful for gaming longer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Note that unlike desktop parts, the laptop 4070 is not much better than the 4060, I think you'd usually see ~10-15% difference between a full power 4060 vs a 4070. 4070 is better but usually not worth a big upcharge for. If everything else is equal, a $900 4060 you replace after 3 years is probably better than a $1200 4070 you replace after 4.

The 4080 is a big jump but its also a big price jump.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
US deals make me so jealous.

I’m looking at this 2022 ASUS g14. Between two stacking discounts it comes out to 1.1k euros:

https://www.mediamarkt.es/es/produc...me-1530847.html

I’m really not familiar with AMD stuff, how does it stack up today?

My use case is non-intensive game development (Unity, UE) and whatever gaming at potato quality if need be.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Ryzen 6800HS is still a pretty potent CPU, especially in applications that are multithreaded. The GPU should also be sufficient for a lot of games. Performance should be around a laptop RTX3060 so long as you don't utilize ray-tracing. RT on Radeons is not particularly good compared to their Nvidia counterparts.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

UncleGuito posted:

I'm in the market for a somewhat budget laptop in the sub-$600 range. I was considering the $600 M1 Macbook Air but I have one for work and don't really like macOS.

Is there anything comparable for the price if I'm just looking for something with good battery life and browsing/media consumption w/ some light scripting? I was also considering a used Surface Laptop 3 or something similar off eBay (any other recs?), since they're around $300.

In that price range I think you might consider a Chromebook. You can get a really good bang for your buck, and with Linux support it opens up the apps you can run on them. I've had a couple Chromebook 2-in-1s, and actually used my old one for work-from-home at the start of the pandemic lockdowns, and they can be great as long as you go in aware of their limitations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

I’m looking at this 2022 ASUS g14. Between two stacking discounts it comes out to 1.1k euros:

My use case is non-intensive game development (Unity, UE) and whatever gaming at potato quality if need be.

I mean, the price delta between that $1500 USD laptop and the $700 laptop is... The price of a round trip ticket to NYC and a hotel room? Might as well get a free international trip out of the deal? Might be cheaper/faster to fly through Miami haven't checked recently

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mid town hotels in nyc start at around 700.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

That seems high even by EU prices. It's a decent laptop and well above potato quality but I feel like you can find better deals.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

Mid town hotels in nyc start at around 700.

The cheapest I saw just now was $130 but I didn't look very hard, 48th & 8th Ave midtown Manhattan. I think we paid $200/night for the millennium Hilton overlooking WTC in the financial district. You can obviously pay a lot more than that

Don't stay in the financial district, that was a mistake

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've stayed at the actual YCMA last time I was in NYC. It was $700 for a week for a (tiny) room for two. It wasn't as much fun as I was lead to believe, but hell it was on the West Side right near Central Park which was pretty neat. Hostels are also an option for one person but it was $60 for one not great value.

I actually try to save some larger purchases like laptops or cameras for when I'm in the US or Asia (HK ideally). Keep in mind that NYC has pretty high sales taxes (which I don't believe you can get refunded like VAT) so ship it to NJ or even better, to NH.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Maxed-out-Lenovo-ThinkPad-P16s-with-4K-OLED-and-64GB-RAM-gets-substantial-59-price-cut.818155.0.html

The big boy Thinkpad P16s is on sale now; 7840U, 4K OLED, 64GB ram and a TB of storage for $1,149 with stacking coupons. Grab some nice headphones and you have a cinema in your lap.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ryzen 9 7945HX
16GB
RTX 4060

Other than the ram being a a little lower than I'd like am I right in saying this is would keep me decently in gaming for 3 or 4 years?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Splicer posted:

Ryzen 9 7945HX
16GB
RTX 4060

Other than the ram being a a little lower than I'd like am I right in saying this is would keep me decently in gaming for 3 or 4 years?

As long as your ok with setting graphic settings down and assuming this isn't 4k, yes probably.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lockback posted:

As long as your ok with setting graphic settings down and assuming this isn't 4k, yes probably.
1920x1080 monitor resolution, presumably why it's about grand less than every other comparable model. My eyes are old and poo poo and pretty much run in 1920x1080 natively anyway so it's no skin off my nose.

And yeah I just want to run decent graphics levels and every 17inch+ I can find here with 32gb + 4080 costs quite literally twice as much, or almost twice as much but with a much worse CPU.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GPU is going to matter more than CPU. You can find lots of laptops with 4060s for ~$1000 or even less, so while the CPU is nice in this case it's probably not going to make a huge difference. A laptop 4080 is a really nice GPU and will demand a much higher price premium, but that said at that point you may be better off with a desktop solution.

17" laptop is a bit of a niche, have you considered just an external monitor? You can get those even bigger than a 17" laptop for pretty cheap.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I unfortunately have niche requirements. I could compromise down a little but for the actually available options it's either 17.3 or 15.6 and 15.6 is just way too small.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
17" laptops can be really nice for an only computer which is mostly used at a desk or countertop. Might be a good time to grab a Dell XPS 17 on clearance before the new models are out. Those new ones look awful, like they weren't paying attention to Apple's mistakes with laptops 4-8 years ago.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

UncleGuito posted:

The Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 (2022) model is on sale for $699 currently.

https://shop.asus.com/us/90nr09u1-m00ec0-rog-zephyrus-g14-2022.html

This appears to be dead but the model with a 6800HS CPU and mobile 6800 GPU (stupid naming convention...) is still up for $799, that's a hell of a deal: https://shop.asus.com/us/90nr09u3-m00hl0-rog-zephyrus-g14-2022.html

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanks everyone! I've been running on an 17-6700HQ/16gb/Laptop 1060 build for about five years now and all the issues I'm running into are CPU limitations and parts fatigue. I don't play many shooters and such but I love playing poorly optimised simulation games, so CPU is very important and I can pick up and install a few extra gigs of ram for not much. I mainly just want to make sure the 4060 is still considered mid-range rather than mid-low and that nobody had anything terrible to say about the 7945HX.

buffbus posted:

17" laptops can be really nice for an only computer which is mostly used at a desk or countertop. Might be a good time to grab a Dell XPS 17 on clearance before the new models are out. Those new ones look awful, like they weren't paying attention to Apple's mistakes with laptops 4-8 years ago.
Basically for various reasons I don't have a permanent desk I can just leave my leisure computer at 24/7, but I have a variety of spots around the house I can set up for a few hours at a time and then put things away. So yeah it's less of a laptop and more of a portable clamshell desktop.

I mean I suppose I could shove a beefy home build in a closet and stream to a beater 17 inch... nah, maybe next time.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

In terms of multithread performance, I think the 7945HX is the fastest laptop processor manufactured to date.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Mental Hospitality posted:

In terms of multithread performance, I think the 7945HX is the fastest laptop processor manufactured to date.

16 zen4 cores with full L3 probably beats anything else out there for stuff that scales with core count, yeah.

Did they they find a way to mitigate the fabric / io idle power draw for these? I assume they must have or they'd get like an hour of battery life.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VorpalFish posted:

16 zen4 cores with full L3 probably beats anything else out there for stuff that scales with core count, yeah.

Did they they find a way to mitigate the fabric / io idle power draw for these? I assume they must have or they'd get like an hour of battery life.
I was seeing posts elsewhere specifically calling out the non-peak power draw as crazy low. I was also reading it was apparently a bit more sluggish than the raw numbers would indicate for some reason I forget but still extremely good.

Honestly my big :thunk: is why I'm getting all this in a non-refurbished Asus ROG from a reputable retailer for under 1,900 (trust me, that's cheap in Ireland). I'm desperately hunting for the other shoe.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Looked it up and it's.... real bad. Better than the desktop skus but... Still real bad.

I guess they assume people buying DTRs don't care about battery life and.. honestly fair enough.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Splicer posted:

Honestly my big :thunk: is why I'm getting all this in a non-refurbished Asus ROG from a reputable retailer for under 1,900 (trust me, that's cheap in Ireland). I'm desperately hunting for the other shoe.

That's a v. good deal for EU but not crazy. The 4060 is getting long in the tooth and while I don't think there's a fire sale I do think certain retailers are looking to start thinning down existing inventory.

It's a good laptop for your needs, pull the trigger.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VorpalFish posted:

Looked it up and it's.... real bad. Better than the desktop skus but... Still real bad.

I guess they assume people buying DTRs don't care about battery life and.. honestly fair enough.
Oh yeah, i meant crazy low for what it is.

Lockback posted:

That's a v. good deal for EU but not crazy. The 4060 is getting long in the tooth and while I don't think there's a fire sale I do think certain retailers are looking to start thinning down existing inventory.
Makes sense. The reason I'm getting serious about a replacementid because the generated interpolation stuff they're touting for the next gen is giving me "paying extra for things I actively don't want" vibes. I'd pay another 1.5k easy for a comparable model with a 4080 in it. Trigger away!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i got bored and ordered a refurbished dell latitude 7210 tablet from ebay

its under 2 lb and has 16gb/10th gen i5 and was $300 so we'll see if its any fun

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Bought a 14" M3 Pro MBP recently for vacation travel and while I love the battery and speed on it, I've also realized I actually like the Asus Zephyrus G14 I bought last year more.

The latter being loaded with a 4090 makes for great gaming but the more surprising thing was I actually prefer the trackpad and keyboard on the Zephyrus.

The only thing keeping me on the MBP is the battery life - it's pretty unfortunate that even with the more power efficient AMD chips, x86 Windows laptops struggle to get half of the battery life of Macs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Macs are a completely different animal. The things that make then have such a great battery life also means they can't run a OS like Windows.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

shrike82 posted:

Bought a 14" M3 Pro MBP recently for vacation travel and while I love the battery and speed on it, I've also realized I actually like the Asus Zephyrus G14 I bought last year more.

The latter being loaded with a 4090 makes for great gaming but the more surprising thing was I actually prefer the trackpad and keyboard on the Zephyrus.

The only thing keeping me on the MBP is the battery life - it's pretty unfortunate that even with the more power efficient AMD chips, x86 Windows laptops struggle to get half of the battery life of Macs.

The new 2024 G14 supposedly gets 12+ hours of battery life but tops out at a 4070

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

change my name posted:

The new 2024 G14 supposedly gets 12+ hours of battery life but tops out at a 4070

there's always been a gap between the reviewed and actual battery life of the G14s (and Windows laptops in general). it's intrinsic to Windows and extends to semi-related stuff like suspend working like poo poo.

my experience with actual real-life usage of running browser tabs + visual studio code + slack + discord + zoom + spotify gets me 3 hours at best on the G14. i can get above 10 hours on the MBP. to be clear, i'm not loading all the apps all the time - just switching between them and having stuff like spotify in the background.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 1, 2024