Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Google Hangouts is awful and so is laptop cooling. Running full screen Hangouts video on my Thinkpad X201, the CPU hit 99C. After quitting Hangouts, the temp dropped to 50C after about 60 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fathis Munk posted:

I realize that but we're both students and have a limited budget and she's not that big on computers except browsing, watching videos and Microsoft Office, so I guess that should be doable on a 500€ machine ?

The OP mentions 600$ as breaking point from which one up you can get a decent quality laptop and we are technically above that limit. Then again maybe they are pricier in euros ?
The E335 with AMD E2-2000 at 13" you were suggested is the spiritual successor of the top of the line netbooks of yore. I'm currently using an 11" one with the E-350 APU that is about three years old and even that's fine for all the things you suggest she might do with it. 1080p video works, but you'd notice it strains the machine a bit. The E2 is clocked higher and there probably are some advancements on the graphical front that make the entire proposal even more workable.

So in absolute terms it's nice enough. Relative to what your money buys you at a slightly higher price point, it's not as good, sadly. So I'd only recommend it if you either have a hard limit on what you're going to spend and it has to be Windows, or if a small form factor matters so much you'd want to deal with a worse price/performance situation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The E-series are horribly slow and nobody should buy one ever.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bob Morales posted:

The E-series are horribly slow and nobody should buy one ever.
If it wasn't clear from my post, I'm mostly agreeing with that. You'd need a very specific set of circumstances for it to be defensible in the slightest degree and even then, for the money, you're getting very little.

Thing I wanted to note is that if it had to be that, it's not as horrible in a way you'd want to kill yourself over it, like the first generation of Atoms was.

In the end that still adds up to "don't buy" for me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My T440s is officially plagued by lovely WiFi and Bluetooth problems. Lots of people are apparently having them with the 7260AC (and then lots of people are apparently also not).

The NIC will just up and stop sending packets. The system will still show as being connected to the access point, but packets just refuse to flow. Putting the device into airplane mode and then turning airplane mode off forces a reconnect but that's not a viable solution. My crap gateway laptop from 2007 or whatever had absolutely no problems with any of these access points. This is at home, work, client sites, etc. Really annoying to the point where I'm considering just up and buying a different M.2 wifi adapter if I can.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

Josh Lyman posted:

Google Hangouts is awful and so is laptop cooling. Running full screen Hangouts video on my Thinkpad X201, the CPU hit 99C. After quitting Hangouts, the temp dropped to 50C after about 60 seconds.

I don't think it has anything to do with hangouts. I use them all the time.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

If it wasn't clear from my post, I'm mostly agreeing with that. You'd need a very specific set of circumstances for it to be defensible in the slightest degree and even then, for the money, you're getting very little.

Thing I wanted to note is that if it had to be that, it's not as horrible in a way you'd want to kill yourself over it, like the first generation of Atoms was.

In the end that still adds up to "don't buy" for me.

It's either a 1366x768, 13" powered by the E2-2000

or a 1080x1920 15.6" powered by an i3-4000

Yeah, the i3 is about 50% more processor, but it comes in a comically large package.

The E2 is a tiny shrimp, but its a netbook processor from 2012.

The large screen might be a good change of pace.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
For those curious, here's the difference between the X240 and X240s, besides 3 mm of thickness (taken from http://korya-sugoi.com/x240_hikaku/x240_x240s_chigai/):

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

shrughes posted:

For those curious, here's the difference between the X240 and X240s, besides 3 mm of thickness (taken from http://korya-sugoi.com/x240_hikaku/x240_x240s_chigai/):

The X240s also has a FHD screen option! It looks like the sealed battery is also 4-cell versus the 3-cell replaceable one that the normal X240 has.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Thanks to everyone for answering my questions about the Yoga 2 Pro!

Unfortunately, an unexpected expense came up and I can no longer afford it, even on sale. Looks like I'll have to wait a while longer.

By the way, Lenovo appears to be completely out of 8GB models now. (Yes, I checked both their normal site and the B&N one). Bizarrely, rather than reducing the number of models on offer from eight to, say, six, they decided spread out their still-available upgrades in a way that makes absolutely no sense.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think Lenovo is out of a lot of things. My order (placed black Friday) got delayed.

quote:

We apologize, but we are unable to ship one or more items on your order at this time. We anticipate shipment within 30 days of this notification. Our online order status tool displays the latest information on your order therefore a revised estimated ship date is not included in this notification.
New ship date Dec 20th new arrival date Dec 30th. Thankfully this wasn't a Christmas present.

Martytoof posted:

My T440s is officially plagued by lovely WiFi and Bluetooth problems. Lots of people are apparently having them with the 7260AC (and then lots of people are apparently also not).

At least when I ordered it, there were three options for wifi card that were all the same price. Which one did you get, because I hope I didn't pick that one. I couldn't find any info over what the differences actually were.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Lenovo Canada just sent me a mass Email about how they're upgrading all shipping on existing Yoga 2 Pro orders due to its popularity. So I might get it before 2015 after all! (They actually might have it here for Christmas.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In opposite shipping news, it took 10 days from ordering to delivering a 540p to rural Illinois.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mastershakeman posted:

In opposite shipping news, it took 10 days from ordering to delivering a 540p to rural Illinois.

A truckload of them were probably heading to UIUC

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Lakitu7 posted:

I think Lenovo is out of a lot of things. My order (placed black Friday) got delayed.

quote:

We apologize, but we are unable to ship one or more items on your order at this time. We anticipate shipment within 30 days of this notification. Our online order status tool displays the latest information on your order therefore a revised estimated ship date is not included in this notification.

I got that too when ordering a battery, the next day I got an email telling me that it had been shipped, and its tracking said it was somewhere in the U.S.A., it arrived one or two days later.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm trying to help my friend find a new laptop for his girlfriend. It should be quiet, sturdy, have good battery life and a 13-14" screen. It will be used mainly for internet, PowerPoint, word processing, Youtube, listening to music and so on. Budget is in the realm of $900, but we're in Denmark so I don't know what that translates to in U.S. prices, probably a good deal less I'd think.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I looked at the Chromebooks, but 16GB is just far too little space unfortunately.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 12, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lakitu7 posted:

New ship date Dec 20th new arrival date Dec 30th. Thankfully this wasn't a Christmas present.

At least when I ordered it, there were three options for wifi card that were all the same price. Which one did you get, because I hope I didn't pick that one. I couldn't find any info over what the differences actually were.

I ordered mine through a reseller so I don't know exactly what it matches up to on the system picker. It's a 7620AC with onboard bluetooth IIRC. I'll post the PCI VEN&DEV IDs when i get home :)

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Can anyone recommend a sub-$1000 laptop with a 1600x900 or higher screen res and a decent graphics board (I.E not an Intel HDxxxx)? I've looked around and it seems like no one really has anything decent, its all 1366x768 with good discrete graphics or FHD with a HD4000 or so.

I just want something that can handle the occasional LAN and gaming session, but also with a decent res for my graphics work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

An Intel HD4600 is equal performance to a lowish-end discrete GPU nowadays. Intel's come a fair way.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

nightwisher posted:

Can anyone recommend a sub-$1000 laptop with a 1600x900 or higher screen res and a decent graphics board (I.E not an Intel HDxxxx)? I've looked around and it seems like no one really has anything decent, its all 1366x768 with good discrete graphics or FHD with a HD4000 or so.

I just want something that can handle the occasional LAN and gaming session, but also with a decent res for my graphics work.

Y410p Lenovo?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

tijag posted:

Y410p Lenovo?

This looks really nice, except the screen res is only 1366x768, otherwise its pretty much ideal.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Should be configurable with a 1600x900?

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

It has a 16:9 option. I've seen some with the 750M on the outlet, but they sell out very quickly.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

antiga posted:

It has a 16:9 option. I've seen some with the 750M on the outlet, but they sell out very quickly.

All its options are 16:9.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nightwisher posted:

This looks really nice, except the screen res is only 1366x768, otherwise its pretty much ideal.

It has several 1600x900 options. They're really good

e: Get the 1600x900 model without the 24GB cache and buy your own SSD. Trust me on this

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah I didn't see the other models they had available, but yeah they do a 1600x900 model. I'll have to use a freight forwarder since I live in Australia but it looks like the best deal around, so thanks for the suggestions.

edit: drat, looks like the discount ends today :( I was hoping it would last a few more days at least. Any other suggestions?

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 12, 2013

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

What about the Lenovo T440p?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t440p/

$985.15
1600x900
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M 1GB

Edit: I have a question about the y410p: If you dsiable the ridiculous "Alienware" red-backlit keyboard, do the sides of the keys still look red?

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 12, 2013

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

In the US, budget =< $900:

I'd like to get a netflix, steam (xcom, Crusader Kings II), internet browsing laptop for use around the house and during plane/train/hotel traveling. I am not savvy enough to really juggle the options, but it seems like the T440 or T440p are good fits. Would someone mind helping me spec something out? If aftermarket RAM is better, I can install it, but would like to factor it into the price.

Thanks.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
The T440p doesn't look like a great "at home on the couch" model.

Using the B&N Gold :siren: link in the OP, there is an $896.22 T440 which is specced very nicely. It comes with a 1600x900 screen, and HD4400.

I can't find any benchmarks for CK2 or XCOM with the HD4400, but something tells me that both of those games are not as taxing as Skyrim, which the HD4400 can do fine with on low settings. But those game might be more processor heavy...

The price doesn't include the tax.

You can also get an x240, a 13" Thinkpad for $880.62. You just have to not get the Webcam and Fingerprint reader, plus choose the i5-4200 with HD4400 graphics and IPS screen.

1366x768 (~720p) screen, which is absolutely gorgeous no matter what the tiny screen haters say (I own a x230 with the same screen ;) ), and same graphics power as the T440, but the processor is a tad less powerful.

Hope this info helps in your search.

Edit:

I've noticed a little bit of backlight bleed on the lower left side, but otherwise this screen has given me only good things to say. Bright, great colors, excellent viewing angles, all the good stuff.

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 12, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are there still problems with the X-series IPS screens? I have a X220 with the non-IPS screen and it's average at best. But after reading the Lenovo forums from around the time of the launch of that model people were asking about upgrades and others chimed in that the IPS screen had lots of issues and wasn't worth it.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I had an IPS screen on my x230 and it was fantastic, aside from the low resolution. The FHD IPS screen on my Thinkpad Yoga, which is apparently the same screen that will be eventually released for the x240, is also fantastic.

FYI I have been playing a bit of CK2 on my Thinkpad Yoga (HD4400). Full resolution (1920x1080) and it plays fine at whatever graphics levels the game defaulted to. I don't notice a significant difference from playing on my desktop, which has everything maxed out. If someone really wants, I could go check what the graphics settings are, and measure frame rates and whatnot.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

Are there still problems with the X-series IPS screens? I have a X220 with the non-IPS screen and it's average at best. But after reading the Lenovo forums from around the time of the launch of that model people were asking about upgrades and others chimed in that the IPS screen had lots of issues and wasn't worth it.

Anecdote, but the only X220 IPS screens I've seen were totally fine. I mean, 1366 is a little low res even on a tiny screen, but the screen itself looked good.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody have a laptop but only use it at home? (re: couch/casual usage)

I've moved into a new house and unfortunately I don't have an office (like my old house), so my PC is located downstairs in the basement. This isn't a huge problem, but it causes me to not use it as often because I'm usually upstairs with my kids, etc.

So... I'm thinking about getting a MacBook (Air?) to use upstairs. 65% of the time it will be used on the couch (with the trackpad) and the other 35% I'll use it on my dining room table with a mouse.

Does anybody else have a similar situation?

I really don't need the laptop to be portable because it will stay at home most of the time (except maybe using it at work during downtime to play games/watch short movies).

The 11" seems great for the couch, but then really small on the dining room table as a PC replacement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just get an iPad

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Having used an iPad as a couch surfer for a while I have to say that I much prefer my T440s in this respect. Actually, not the T440s specifically, but something with a discrete keyboard and touchpad. iPad is fine if you just want to browse a thing or two but the second I wanted to do something more than that I found thati iOS was getting in my way. Maybe an Android or something would preform better, but speaking for me I just can't beat the convenience of having a little portable computer underhand.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Captain Pike posted:

Edit: I have a question about the y410p: If you dsiable the ridiculous "Alienware" red-backlit keyboard, do the sides of the keys still look red?

Yes the sides of the keys are red. Not sure why it's ridiculous though? Backlit keyboards can be nice. Is red like a horrible color for you or something?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Personally I think it looks gaudy and was one of the reasons I decided against the Y410P (though not the main one, obviously) :(

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
First time I took a backlit keyboard was admittedly because I tend to like gaudy shiny things, but honestly it turns out to have been a really good choice. It may seem silly but the keys stand out way better as soon as the light gets dim and it's just a really nice thing to have in my opinion, especially on a laptop when you tend to move around and not have ideal lighting all of the time.

E : VVV Ah, fair enough that's up to taste obviously, I understood that you were against backlit keys in general.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 12, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love my white-backlit keyboard. It's saved me from typos many a night. I have nothing against backlights in and of themselves. Just the red lights/keys on the Y410p that I dislike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I could use a little help, laptop gurus. The last few years I've been using a NC10 and it has worked okay for my needs so far, but she's about to give up the ghost. I've really gotten used to the size, weight, and battery life. I've also recently gotten the itch to get back into graphic design (nothing professional level, just doodles) so I could probably use an upgrade in processing and ram.

I'm almost completely sold on a Yoga 2 pro, but two things are stopping me; 1) I would really like to stay below $800, 2) I really like the idea of the 11". Does anyone know if the yoga 11 will get a haswell refresh or should I wait until the new Zenbook comes out and see where the prices go from there?

E: Just want to add that I know the budget is probably a pipedream and will probably be stretched a bit. I was also considering the Vaio pro 11, though I'm fairly certain that it's purely for aesthetic reasons.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 12, 2013