Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

both of MY EXTERNAL DRIVES have two cables, but one has a pass-through so you can plug a peripheral into it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Had to send my T440p back because of a busted lid sensor. How long on average does lenovo's easyserv thing take, and are they reliable? The guy on the phone told me it'd only take a week, but then again just getting this drat thing delivered here was supposed to take a solid week less than it actually did.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Maybe someone can answer this. Why is it that a new Windows 8 machine has like 15 GIGABYTES of space used up by removable update files? I got my hands on one yesterday and did a windows disk clean up and like 50 minutes into it it was still removing update files. Free space went from 52GB to 68GB and space just kept getting freed up.(110 GB SSD)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Because engineering takes effort and there's little money in handling and testing all such details. Also this sort of thing wasn't a big deal until disk drive sizes suddenly shrunk back to 2005 levels.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Okay, so I got the ASUS Transformer Book T300LA-DH51T and no, no I shouldn't have. it's probably entirely my fault but a hybrid tablet just isn't working for me.

What I'm needing is something in the 15" range, IPS/led screen, SSD, with either the 5200 Iris or standalone GPU (a low model, nothing jet enginey) and in the $1,000 range. Anyone have any ideas?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Midnight City posted:

Okay, so I got the ASUS Transformer Book T300LA-DH51T and no, no I shouldn't have. it's probably entirely my fault but a hybrid tablet just isn't working for me.

What I'm needing is something in the 15" range, IPS/led screen, SSD, with either the 5200 Iris or standalone GPU (a low model, nothing jet enginey) and in the $1,000 range. Anyone have any ideas?

That's what we all want but it doesn't exist.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The Clevo W740SU (14", no SSD) but the usual Clevo caveats exist. A year ago I'd be recommending the 15" Vaio S.

Edit: Well there's the ASUS N550JV-DB71.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

VulgarandStupid posted:

That's what we all want but it doesn't exist.

The Lenovo Y510p? It doesn't have an SSD but you can throw one in. However, it's a liiiitle bit over your price range.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
Does anyone with the Y510P have the 1366x768 screen? Any opinion? I'm kind of interested in it because the price and the lower resolution would improve game performance. I currently have a 15.6" Alienware with a 1600x900 screen and I see no reason to go for 1920x1200 besides MOAR PIXELS!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Namlemez posted:

Does anyone with the Y510P have the 1366x768 screen? Any opinion? I'm kind of interested in it because the price and the lower resolution would improve game performance. I currently have a 15.6" Alienware with a 1600x900 screen and I see no reason to go for 1920x1200 besides MOAR PIXELS!

You're going to be really disappointed with your desktop experience at that resolution. That display, especially at that size is going to be bottom of the barrel in terms of quality.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Everybody here will rightfully tell you that 1366x768 is a bad idea.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

shrughes posted:

I cannot agree more. My last notebook was 1366x768 and that was my biggest complaint about it. I have two 24" IPS 1920x1200 screens on my desktop and always had a hell of a time getting anything done with so little screen real estate when I had to use my notebook.

I just received my T440s with a 1080p IPS screen on Thursday and it's gorgeous. This is by far the best built notebook I've ever owned. It works very well running Linux with a few minor tweaks, particularly for the touchpad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

shrughes posted:

I disagree. I have a 17' laptop with that resolution and I have no problems with it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

QuarkJets posted:

1) You need to download and install Windows Classic Shell

2) Get an SSD and start fresh

Well, I did that first one. And now I can't do anything on my Lenovo. It loads up to the desktop, but won't load any programs and I can't open any windows. It literally freezes when I try to open up a browser, so I find myself back on my old computer, browsing Amazon for a copy of Windows 7 since no one wants to sell them and the computer shop wants $150 to put it on my computer.

I now need to buy a copy of Windows 7 and see if it'll work. Any hints or tips? Will all my hardware be compatible? Has anyone else had these issues?

Also, can anyone tell me what the recovery steps are for a Lenovo? If I can return it to a baseline, maybe I won't delete that obvious spyware that MaleWareBytes found and maybe my computer will work again.

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously

Genocyber posted:

I disagree. I have a 17' laptop with that resolution and I have no problems with it.
It would be pretty funny if you were serious. The only way that would make any kind of sense is on a gaming laptop and even then it would still be suspect.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

shrughes posted:

That is obvious, but I'm not getting much of a reason why besides IT IS BAD. On the other hand, mobile GPUs are known to be less powerful and running a game at 1920x1200 vs 1360x768 is going to be a lot more work. I'm not trying to be a luddite and I have 24" FHD monitors at work which are great, but I'm not working on 4 documents at once at home. Chances are, I'll be browsing SA or playing a game. I don't need reading glasses so it isn't a "I can't see the difference".

After I posted this I went to Wally world to check out a Dell with a 15.6" 1360x768 monitor and it looked fine to me. Tomorrow I think I'm going to Microcenter try to check out the Y510P in person (they're the only one I can find it in store).

Namlemez fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 22, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Namlemez posted:

That is obvious, but I'm not getting much of a reason why besides IT IS BAD.
1366x768 is fine if you just want to watch movies or play games, but will suck for everything else. You'll either get blocky text or a small amount or large text, and everything is designed to eat up your already small amount of vertical space. Title bars, tool bars, status bars, and other things like that take up some of those 768 pixels, and you're not left with much. The only advantage of a lower resolution is less pixels for the GPU to render, and you can achieve that same effect in games by scaling down.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've read that you should install the wireless drivers directly from intel's website for the t440 series in order to avoid some wifi issues people have been having - do I need to install it with the proset software or is the driver only version good enough?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, can anyone tell me what the recovery steps are for a Lenovo? If I can return it to a baseline, maybe I won't delete that obvious spyware that MaleWareBytes found and maybe my computer will work again.

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410py510p_ug_english.pdf - page 24 may help

The stuff that came preloaded with my t440p was loving awful, including that pokki start menu (mmm yes I definitely want to check out your app store pokki.) it went unresponsive on me more than once in the first hour as I was gathering what I needed.

After recovering, I do recommend you make yourself a backup image of the drive (or just replace it with an ssd and store the original somewhere safe), copy your windows key from the bios, and just do a clean install with an msdn version of 8.1. I did this on thursday night, and it was wonderful afterwards.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 23, 2014

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It's bad for the numerous and obvious reasons that it's bad, just search this thread or the old laptop thread for more discussion.

Edit: On that note the OP is out of date.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
They're bad for three reasons:

(1) Resolution. The small resolution puts stresses on all sorts of applications. Like reading SA? Hope you enjoy only being able to see two posts at a time without scrolling. Like games? Hope there's no HUD involved, because it's gonna take up the entire damned screen, or get downsampled and look like poo poo. Which brings me to:

(2) DPI. 1366x768 is redeemable on small screens (13" or less) where it provides a reasonable DPI: even though you won't be seeing a whole lot of anything, what you do see will still look reasonably crisp and sharp. At 15" on up, though? Terrible. Jagged edges in all sorts of places you're not normally used to seeing them, images may display blurriness, and it's a hell of a lot easier to pick up on the "screen door effect" where you can actually break out the lines between individual pixels. Does it make the screen unusable? No, it doesn't. But it does detract from the experience. Put a 15" 1366 next to a 1600x900 or 1080p screen and the difference is immediately apparent.

(3) Quality. 1366x768 screens on anything over 13" are clearly budget options, and are treated as such: you get the cheapest, most cost-cutting version available in most cases. So in addition to (1) and (2), which are things dictated by physical realities, you also get the bonus of almost universally terrible viewing angles, colors, etc. There do exist some very few "ok" 1366 screens in the 15" size category, but the Y510P is not one of these.

Mobile GPUs do trail behind their desktop counterparts, but the GF 755M in the Y510p is no slouch, and is sufficient to power a 1600x900 screen without too many issues, and a 1080p screen if you don't demand that all settings be pushed to max.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I've read that you should install the wireless drivers directly from intel's website for the t440 series in order to avoid some wifi issues people have been having - do I need to install it with the proset software or is the driver only version good enough?

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410py510p_ug_english.pdf - page 24 may help

The stuff that came preloaded with my t440p was loving awful, including that pokki start menu (mmm yes I definitely want to check out your app store pokki.) it went unresponsive on me more than once in the first hour as I was gathering what I needed.

After recovering, I do recommend you make yourself a backup image of the drive (or just replace it with an ssd and store the original somewhere safe), copy your windows key from the bios, and just do a clean install with an msdn version of 8.1. I did this on thursday night, and it was wonderful afterwards.

I'm going through the recovery stuff right now, but I've ordered up a copy of Win7, so it'll only be for a couple of days until it arrives. Still, better than nothing.

I honestly think that it was removing Pokki, OptimizerPro and the 90+ files marked as Malware that did it. Ugh, Lenovos are just crammed to the gills with shovelware.

Thanks for the help, though. It's doing a lot better now than it was an hour ago. Or for the past two days.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tom Foolery posted:

It would be pretty funny if you were serious. The only way that would make any kind of sense is on a gaming laptop and even then it would still be suspect.

I am completely serious. I do not at all understand why people seem to think that's bad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I am completely serious. I do not at all understand why people seem to think that's bad.

Can you take a screen shot of reading this thread and post it?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Tom Foolery posted:

Don't listen to this one's lies, friend. He's a consummate troll.

e: I fear I am too late :negative:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

Can you take a screen shot of reading this thread and post it?

What, you mean with a program like irfanview or a camera? The latter isn't an option since I don't have a good quality camera.

Chard posted:

Don't listen to this one's lies, friend. He's a consummate troll.

:rolleye:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

What, you mean with a program like irfanview or a camera? The latter isn't an option since I don't have a good quality camera.

:rolleye:

Print screen, open paint, paste, save, upload to imgur, post here. I'm just curious what browsing text-heavy websites looks like on a 17" with 1366x768.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm just curious what browsing text-heavy websites looks like on a 17" with 1366x768.
...exactly the same as on a 11" screen at 1366x768?

In a screenshot anyway.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

...exactly the same as on a 11" screen at 1366x768?

In a screenshot anyway.

Haha gently caress. Yeah, oh well. My wife has a 11" laptop with that resolution and it isn't the worst, but the lack of vertical space really kills me when I try to use it. I end up having to full screen everything.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

http://i6.minus.com/iHIkZZG5MEdMz.png

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Here's a comparison of that with 1920x1080:

http://i1.minus.com/ibdiH8fFNukPWP.png

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
that's so cute, it's like a tiny little porthole into the internet

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

shrughes posted:

Aww yeah dem shemale vids

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

shrughes posted:

Nice desktop.

I guess if you're used to higher res it's a big deal, but I've never had a problem with this resolution. I certainly wouldn't consider it a necessity.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Considering the difference on the Y510p is $80 to go from 1366x768 to 1080p (and you upgrade to a better WiFi card, and get a goofy 8GB SSD cache, too), it's really really hard to argue for the cheaper option.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrDork posted:

Considering the difference on the Y510p is $80 to go from 1366x768 to 1080p (and you upgrade to a better WiFi card, and get a goofy 8GB SSD cache, too), it's really really hard to argue for the cheaper option.

I agree. I just wanted to point out that 1336x768 is not an awful make your eyes bleed resolution a lot of people seem to say it is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Genocyber posted:

I agree. I just wanted to point out that 1336x768 is not an awful make your eyes bleed resolution a lot of people seem to say it is.

Yes it is. And on 17"? What the flying gently caress

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Im not much of a high res nerd like the people in this thread demanding 1440p on 13" screens but goddamn if 1366x768 isn't pretty suboptimal on 15" screens, nevermind 17".

Lets not forget that the screen quality itself is going to be complete poo poo.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You can always run a higher resolution display at a lower resolution. It might not look ideal but its definitely usable for gaming use.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Resolved: 1366x768 on 15" or higher won't leap out of the frame and stab your eyeballs out, but it'll probably molest your dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

go3 posted:

Im not much of a high res nerd like the people in this thread demanding 1440p on 13" screens but goddamn if 1366x768 isn't pretty suboptimal on 15" screens, nevermind 17".

Lets not forget that the screen quality itself is going to be complete poo poo.

My screen's quality is good as far as I can tell. There's nothing weird with the colors. I assume viewing angles means if you look at it at odd angles the colors will distort? Cause the screen doesn't have that either.