Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
A year ago or so (maybe almost two years ago), I did an experiment turning VT-d on and off in the BIOS and using VirtualBox. It affected the performance of the Ubuntu 11.10 Unity desktop running inside of VirtualBox pretty drastically, taking it from completely unusable to usable. Later versions became less unusable in the absence of VT-d. I haven't tried this experiment recently, the one machine I have without VT-d has VMware Workstation running on it and it seems OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

shrughes posted:

A year ago or so (maybe almost two years ago), I did an experiment turning VT-d on and off in the BIOS and using VirtualBox. It affected the performance of the Ubuntu 11.10 Unity desktop running inside of VirtualBox pretty drastically, taking it from completely unusable to usable. Later versions became less unusable in the absence of VT-d. I haven't tried this experiment recently, the one machine I have without VT-d has VMware Workstation running on it and it seems OK.

In VirtualBox, unless you set it up manually, VT-d is not used: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#pcipassthrough
VMware only supports VT-d in ESX/ESXi, Workstation and Player do not support it at all.

Maybe the setting in your BIOS did more than just turn VT-d on and off, but VT-d is not used unless you specifically configure PCI passthrough.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

So I see the Lenovo's Yoga 13 has made the highly acclaimed list of recommended laptops. I see that its got some pretty good specs for its price, but what else about it has earned it such good referrals? And what do you goons think about buying laptops from the Microsoft store?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Build quality is approaching Thinkpad levels (think Thinkpad Edge levels); does not creak, squeak or groan when you pick it up by one corner and wave it around. Screen is not phenomenal, but certainly well above average, great keyboard, 2 mSATA slots (1 free).

The hinges are straight-up thinkpad quality solid metal hinges (they'd have to be). They're cam hinges which means they're designed to move in a certain way throughout the full motion without getting loose or feeling sloppy. It's a fine piece of engineering all around.

You can pick up a Yoga 11s for $703.99, and depending on the phase of the moon a Yoga 13 will run you $850, currently $934.15 using the B&N site

http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/na/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=barnesnoblegold

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 29, 2013

sports
Sep 1, 2012

the boston bomber posted:

So I see the Lenovo's Yoga 13 has made the highly acclaimed list of recommended laptops. I see that its got some pretty good specs for its price, but what else about it has earned it such good referrals? And what do you goons think about buying laptops from the Microsoft store?

Change your username. My thoughts on the Microsoft Store: they must have an easier time peddling products when far from an Apple Store,

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

the boston bomber posted:

I tried to buy a laptop at the Bellevue, WA store but they didn't have the one I wanted in stock. The clerk said there's a 10% discount on all products for university students but when I tried to order from the web the page their support linked me to only had a code for discount on Surface, accessories and software. The Assurance warranty thing sounds kinds neat but I went with a Squaretrade warranty instead because they have international coverage. Otherwise I guess they're just another store? No big reason for or against?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

syzygy86 posted:

In VirtualBox, unless you set it up manually, VT-d is not used: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#pcipassthrough
VMware only supports VT-d in ESX/ESXi, Workstation and Player do not support it at all.

Maybe the setting in your BIOS did more than just turn VT-d on and off, but VT-d is not used unless you specifically configure PCI passthrough.

Maybe it did do something more.

I can confirm that the VT-d setting doesn't seem to affect performance on a fresh Ubuntu 11.10 installation on the latest VirtualBox version on a Thinkpad Helix, anyway. Someday I'm going to have to reproduce the W520 behavior. I'm pretty sure I have the old Windows installation on an mSATA drive somewhere around here...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm looking for a laptop for my wife, since hers is more or less on its last legs. Ideally, I'd like to get a Thinkpad with 8GB and a BluRay drive. However, I'd like to not go way way over the magic $640 price point, because we're cheap running a little thin this month.

Is it worth looking at an ASUS? Should I just bite the bullet and sink money into a big ol' ultrabook? Should I get her a chromebook instead? All she really uses it for is web surfing, office, and watching DVDs.

I JUST DON'T KNOW INTERNET HELP ME :byodood:

If you just need something for surfing, office, and DVDs then a chromebook is fine except that it has no optical drive. A chromebook with a USB DVD drive might be something to consider. Otherwise, you should consider watching one of the deal sites like techbargains or fatwallet until something you like (with a dvd drive) comes along at a cheap enough price.

Also, don't immediately turn down refurb laptops; usually they're perfectly good laptops with nothing actually wrong with them, and if they do have problems then they'll probably appear within the refurb warranty period. It's a very small gamble that can save you a lot of money

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

This is one I've been looking at myself. The specs are definitely in the ballpark for what I had in mind. If you end up getting it, I'd love to know what you think of it, as I am still several months away from pulling the trigger on anything.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Is anyone else bummed about the lay of the XPS 12 landscape?

Through Dell Outlet, I was able to find an Ivy Bridge-based XPS 12 with the top i7 and 8GB RAM for $850 after coupon. The new Haswell XPS 12 is out, and obviously it's not on Outlet yet. The cheapest I can get it with an i7 and 8GB is $1372.

The newer model offers literally double the battery life, and swaps out the practically-defective Cypress touchpad for a Synaptics one that's earning very high praise over at NotebookReview. I need a new laptop basically yesterday, but maaaaaaaan, I'm really not excited about swallowing that $522 delta.

gently caress.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
It happens. Its not the first time a manufacturer has improved a model that much with just with just a single refresh. It just happens.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

kbar posted:

Through Dell Outlet, I was able to find an Ivy Bridge-based XPS 12 with the top i7 and 8GB RAM for $850 after coupon. The new Haswell XPS 12 is out, and obviously it's not on Outlet yet. The cheapest I can get it with an i7 and 8GB is $1372.

The newer model offers literally double the battery life, and swaps out the practically-defective Cypress touchpad for a Synaptics one that's earning very high praise over at NotebookReview. I need a new laptop basically yesterday, but maaaaaaaan, I'm really not excited about swallowing that $522 delta.

gently caress.

You're getting a hell of a lot more for your money so I'm not sure what the problem is?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Keep in mind, the Dell Outlet price might be additionally discounted to clear out the old stock.

I think it's worth it to get the newer model. Future-proof your purchase as much as you can. Haswell makes huge strides for portable systems.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

sports posted:

The Razer Blade is poorly supported and for all intents and purposes is a Clevo in a mediocre case.
I'm quite pleased with the case and the hardware over all (minus a lackluster display), just not Win8 and the system rejecting all attempts at a Win7 install.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kbar posted:

gently caress.

Haswell is still brand new, people just recently started receiving the first Haswell XPS 12s and you expect to find a bunch of them in Outlet already? Really?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kbar posted:

an i7 and 8GB is $1372.

You're also getting the 2nd generation dell carbon fiber chassis process with the haswell model, adding whatever revisions were required to improve whatever deficiencies were in the first gen design. AFAIK 2012 was the first year Dell mass produced a CF laptop frame.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So is there any chance of getting a good quality laptop that is 13in or less for less than ultrabook prices? My lovely laptop that I started using once my usual laptop died just died itself, which leaves me in a bind for the next semester. So far the best I can find is a refurbished 13in macbook air for $850 (or a yoga or (haswell) 11in MBA for $900)

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

So is there any chance of getting a good quality laptop that is 13in or less for less than ultrabook prices? My lovely laptop that I started using once my usual laptop died just died itself, which leaves me in a bind for the next semester. So far the best I can find is a refurbished 13in macbook air for $850 (or a yoga or (haswell) 11in MBA for $900)
If you're willing to buy the 11in Air, do it.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Sergeant Hobo posted:

This is one I've been looking at myself. The specs are definitely in the ballpark for what I had in mind. If you end up getting it, I'd love to know what you think of it, as I am still several months away from pulling the trigger on anything.

I ordered it, going to let you know once I get it :)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The ASUS VivoBook X202E or some similarly-numbered VivoBook with an i3 is worth considering. $450 or so.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I've considered those, but I wonder just how good the keyboard, the screen, or the touchpad can be at that price. I want something that can last. I'm strongly considering stretching for the MBA, but I don't like the lack of a straight HDMI port, I still need windows to run some engineering software and I do like the Netflix windows 8 app.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
What you'd expect from ASUS at that price: Decent, okay, not great. See http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Asus-VivoBook-X202.htm

I wouldn't mind the MacBook's lack of straight HDMI port -- you can get a pass-through adapter from mini-DisplayPort, I'm pretty sure. Or whatever Apple's expensive adapter is.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 30, 2013

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

shrughes posted:

I wouldn't mind the MacBook's lack of straight HDMI port -- you can get a pass-through adapter from mini-DisplayPort, I'm pretty sure. Or whatever Apple's expensive adapter is.

Monoprice has it covered for $7:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

shrughes posted:

The ASUS VivoBook X202E or some similarly-numbered VivoBook with an i3 is worth considering. $450 or so.

I have a similar question: Would the Asus X202e be the best budget (<$600) 11.6" laptop, or are there any others out there (either new or used) that should be considered? A good keyboard is very important to me, but weight will be the biggest thing (I'd like it to be something I can just slip into a bag at 3lb or less).

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Does anyone have experience with laptops that only have 128 gigs of SSD space and nothing else? I'm helping my sister pick out a computer for university, and one of the candidates is a Lenovo that has but 128 gigs of SSD. At first I figured it wasn't enough to use for a primary computer, but now I'm wondering if it might be alright if she makes good use of an external hard drive for storage. She's got a 1tb external drive that she has a bunch of stuff on, where she could store what doesn't need to be on the computer all the time. Besides school, she's also going to use the computer for photoshop and toying around with photography, which is another concern of mine. I don't know if photoshop files are gonna take up too much space for 128 gigs. So the question is if 128 gigabytes is enough for school stuff, a little bit of photoshop and photos, and music, provided that an external hard drive of 1 tb is used for storage?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

csidle posted:

Does anyone have experience with laptops that only have 128 gigs of SSD space and nothing else? I'm helping my sister pick out a computer for university, and one of the candidates is a Lenovo that has but 128 gigs of SSD. At first I figured it wasn't enough to use for a primary computer, but now I'm wondering if it might be alright if she makes good use of an external hard drive for storage. She's got a 1tb external drive that she has a bunch of stuff on, where she could store what doesn't need to be on the computer all the time. Besides school, she's also going to use the computer for photoshop and toying around with photography, which is another concern of mine. I don't know if photoshop files are gonna take up too much space for 128 gigs. So the question is if 128 gigabytes is enough for school stuff, a little bit of photoshop and photos, and music, provided that an external hard drive of 1 tb is used for storage?
It's certainly doable if she isn't planning on playing any games or whatnot, if she's an organized type. It's not too hard to keep all your media on another drive, but it is mildly obnoxious. Photoshop files can get quite large, but they shouldn't be an issue as long as she's willing to put them into storage once she's done with them. What laptop is it, anyhow? There may be a way to stuff a HDD in there, anyhow.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

DrDork posted:

It's certainly doable if she isn't planning on playing any games or whatnot, if she's an organized type. It's not too hard to keep all your media on another drive, but it is mildly obnoxious. Photoshop files can get quite large, but they shouldn't be an issue as long as she's willing to put them into storage once she's done with them. What laptop is it, anyhow? There may be a way to stuff a HDD in there, anyhow.

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 6885. She's buying in Denmark, so the prices aren't quite the same as the US, but basically, the reasons for this at the moment are: Good price -- between 6000 and 6500 DKK; Appropriate size at 15"; Good monitor size at 1920*1080 -- a lot of the other computers we've considered have been 13xx*768, which is too small for the photoshop stuff and not optimal in general. Only drawback is the hard drive.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm looking for a new laptop for my sister for likebetween $500 or $600- maybe a little bit above $600 if there's a significant jump in quality? It needs to be capable of photo editing and some gaming (not super intense stuff, just stuff like the sims 3, but it'd be nice if it'll be able to run new releases reasonably well), have a not-tiny screen, and an SD card slot. Portability isn't an issue at all and it doesn't need to be made of titanium, but it needs to be able to cope with a bit of neglect/ rough handling. She's had a couple of laptops she got from Best Buy that didn't do very well so it'd be nice if there's one that will last a while.

I tried a bit of searching already and realised I am terrible at looking for laptops so it'd be nice if some goons can save me here! :v:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 30, 2013

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
I start a new job soon and they've given me a budget for a new work laptop. I can choose anything up to 12500DKK (which probably ends up around a $1200 laptop I guess). I want to get something thin, light and pretty snappy, they want something with an on site warranty. It's going to be used for web development, so needs to be running Windows with Visual Studio and probably local copies of some databases. At the moment I'm leaning towards getting the new MacBook Air 13, but I'm a bit wary about running windows 8 on that. Is there anything else in that kinda range that has a 256GB SSD and doesn't look like crap?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

yoyomama posted:

I have a similar question: Would the Asus X202e be the best budget (<$600) 11.6" laptop, or are there any others out there (either new or used) that should be considered? A good keyboard is very important to me, but weight will be the biggest thing (I'd like it to be something I can just slip into a bag at 3lb or less).

Probably. The 3.6 lb Lenovo X131e can be configured with some kind of i3 (a Sandy Bridge i3?). It will have a good keyboard for sure. I haven't tried the X202e in person, but if you want something around 3 lbs, and in the <$600 price range, ASUS is probably more reliable than anybody else in that dept.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

csidle posted:

I haven't crossed over 128GB... 64GB doesn't even cramp me as long as I don't load the computer up with my iTunes library, emulators, and multiple VM's.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

csidle posted:

One thing to note is you may not get the whole space available anyway - my T430s has a 128GB SSD but only 109GB is available (the rest is a dedicated hibernation partition)

Anyway I'm coping just fine, the only downside is I can only have one or two games installed at a time.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

csidle posted:

My new XPS 12 has a 128 SSD. After the partitions that come with the system, I have about 98GB of total space on the drive.

It all depends what you're going to put on the drive.

* Music library? That'll eat up a large amount.

* Video library? Even worse.

* Video games? If you only have one or two AAA titles installed at a time, you'll be okay.

I think 128GB will be enough for me. I don't expect a need of larger storage.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The one linked to in the OP is confirmed to carry HDMI audio as well (I own one)

Its also less than half the price ($2.99) with free shipping vs $6.59 + S&H

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anyone know if the "VAIO Pro 11 Custom Touch Ultrabook" is any good? Is there something that is equiavlent that isn't Sony? A professor loves Sony and wants to get one, but I know what a pain the driver situation is, and he likes to give his laptops to his wife and she does a lot of "shopping" and they keep getting viruses, so something we could easily flatten would be great.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My needs a no frills laptop. Honestly a chromebook might do it for her but she has a scrapbooking program she has to use so that's out.

Anywyas, she MUST HAVE A 17" SCREEN.

I know they're terrible, but what's the least terrible somewhat budget 17" laptop?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are all bad. Just pick the cheapest one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

They are all bad. Just pick the cheapest one.

This is honestly the best advice. You should be able to pick up a 17" laptop for $399-$449 at Best Buy. When it breaks in a year or two (or three, I doubt it will leave the table/couch that often) she can replace it with another one for about the same price.

Buying a more capable laptop like a $600 Thinkpad for three years for 3/4 the price of two laptops ($800) for four years someone who only needs a chromebook ($250) isn't a very good value.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 30, 2013

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

shrughes posted:

Probably. The 3.6 lb Lenovo X131e can be configured with some kind of i3 (a Sandy Bridge i3?). It will have a good keyboard for sure. I haven't tried the X202e in person, but if you want something around 3 lbs, and in the <$600 price range, ASUS is probably more reliable than anybody else in that dept.

Thanks, I'll see if I can try either one of those options in person (or try to wait it out for the x240 and save up some extra money).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TheReverend posted:

I know they're terrible, but what's the least terrible somewhat budget 17" laptop?

Used unibody 17" Macbook Pro.