Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm eyeballing that Y410p deal but don't need a laptop at this very moment. I just started looking around at laptops so I'm not too familiar with the market, but are sales/deals like that fairly common, like, would I be able to expect finding a similar deal in a couple of months with the holiday season approaching? Thanks.

EDIT

Wonderful, thanks guys vvvvvvvv

OxMan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Very likely, yes. Also with Lenovos in particular, the B&N special link in the OP is pretty much always working, and gives discounts as good or better than most of the sales they run in the first place.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
You can also always call in and they'll give you the best price they can find. I did that and they ended up giving me the staff price when I ordered my yoga.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

No

Maaaaayyyyybe. What do you plan on doing with it/how much of a power user are you?

quote:

The XPS 12 i7/8gb upgrade was kind of a weird bargain at dell.ca when I bought mine last month since with all the deals flying around it was maybe a hundred bucks over the basic model.

Yeah, that's exactly what it was. It's normally $200 more, but they had $100 off.

I ended up ordering that one. It came up just under $1500 which was the budget I had anyway.

The SSD I can upgrade myself later on for about $100 less than the upgrade cost if I need to.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

minusX posted:

Seems pretty great, but I'm studying CS and not seeing some IDEs for Chrome OS anywhere

The Chrome OS is based on Linux. You can either install your own favorite Linux distro or use one of many online IDEs, such as Cloud9. Chrome OS is pretty ideal for CS if you're willing to forego the use of specific IDEs that might not be available to you

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So why were those specific Chromebooks originally $230? Just an inflated price to make that sale look better?

edit: Also from the sound of it, that Acer model can actually run Ubuntu quite well. Hmm, that's tempting.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 18, 2013

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hey guys, can you help me out? I'm looking for a new laptop. I really like the Yoga 13 and the idea of a windows 8 tablet/pc thingy that I can install steam on. I'd like a touch screen and if possible (and not insane), some kind of pressure sensitive pen system for drawing.

The main uses will be

1. Photoshop/Video Editing (so I can get away from the desk)
2. Using in public places, conventions, on the go so light and small is great, as is battery power.
3. Light gaming, mainly indie games, touch screen games, low requirement games

Basically in that order. The price range is totally under $1,000 but anything around 699 would be great, but I wouldn't mind paying more to get more of 1 and 2. 3 isn't that big of deal.

I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on the Yoga 13, I probably will unless somebody knows a device that has pressure sensitive settings.

Thank you for your time

Yoga 13 I was looking at http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-13-3-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00ATANVLG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 18, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AxeManiac posted:

Hey guys, can you help me out? I'm looking for a new laptop. I really like the Yoga 13 and the idea of a windows 8 tablet/pc thingy that I can install steam on. I'd like a touch screen and if possible (and not insane), some kind of pressure sensitive pen system for drawing.

The main uses will be

1. Photoshop/Video Editing (so I can get away from the desk)
2. Using in public places, conventions, on the go so light and small is great, as is battery power.
3. Light gaming, mainly indie games, touch screen games, low requirement games

Basically in that order. The price range is totally under $1,000 but anything around 699 would be great, but I wouldn't mind paying more to get more of 1 and 2. 3 isn't that big of deal.

I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on the Yoga 13, I probably will unless somebody knows a device that has pressure sensitive settings.

Thank you for your time

Yoga 13 I was looking at http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-13-3-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00ATANVLG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The Thinkpad X230t has a wacom pen and just barely squeaks in at $960 with the B&N Gold discount. It's thicker but weighs almost the same amount (slightly more due to a bigger battery). I have the previous gen and had to use the direct predecessors for years at work, and they are quite durable and the pen is good. I think it's worth cross-shopping if you're interested in drawing, especially if you're going to travel a lot. The only downsides are the lower-res screen (both have IPS screens), and that it doesn't come with SSDs standard like the yoga seems to.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 18, 2013

ThePotatoEater
Feb 28, 2013
Hi, I've never owned a laptop and I'm currently looking to get a laptop to bring to school, do your basic school work but also be able to game a little. My budget is probably $500-600 (Didn't want to spend over $500 but if I want something good all around, I think I'll have to be willing to pay more). I don't know if I will even need a 15.6" screen, maybe something even smaller.

- School Work
- Light gaming
- Light to carry around

Any advice and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Bought one of those Chromebooks. If there's something it can't do that I wish it did, then I really know what I want in my next laptop, and it's only a $130 purchase.

Plus fooling around with Ubuntu sounds pretty neato.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 18, 2013

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I am looking for a laptop under £500, is Haswell something I should be looking for or is that for more expensive models? I've been looking at T430s but can't find one with a 1600x900 monitor under £500, should I go with an unupgraded one or is there a better model?

e: Also is finding a modern laptop with Windows 7 a reasonable goal? Windows 8 is awful :(

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 18, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What are the functions I should care about when considering a convertible? From what I understand the stylus input in tablet mode still isn't great on most if not all convertibles, is it just for shits and giggles? What are the legit reasons to want a convertible over something that is not convertible?

Also could someone with a Yoga tell me how annoying it is to have the keyboard on the back of your screen in tablet mode, or if that gets in the way of use or anything? I like the design otherwise.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Verge has an article about picking out laptops:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/15/4623016/buying-a-laptop-everything-you-need-to-know

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

signalnoise posted:

What are the functions I should care about when considering a convertible? From what I understand the stylus input in tablet mode still isn't great on most if not all convertibles, is it just for shits and giggles? What are the legit reasons to want a convertible over something that is not convertible?

Also could someone with a Yoga tell me how annoying it is to have the keyboard on the back of your screen in tablet mode, or if that gets in the way of use or anything? I like the design otherwise.

I used to use convertibles for a long time due to work and such, and still own one. Personally, I don't think there's any real reason to get one unless you really want to use a stylus to draw. The whole point of a tablet is that it's simple, cheap, and portable. A convertible is honestly not very good at any of these things. You might as well get a laptop and a separate tablet, especially now that internet connectivity and cloud storage makes it easier to share data between two separate devices.

Dunno, that's my take on it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Cream_Filling posted:

The Thinkpad X230t has a wacom pen and just barely squeaks in at $960 with the B&N Gold discount. It's thicker but weighs almost the same amount (slightly more due to a bigger battery). I have the previous gen and had to use the direct predecessors for years at work, and they are quite durable and the pen is good. I think it's worth cross-shopping if you're interested in drawing, especially if you're going to travel a lot. The only downsides are the lower-res screen (both have IPS screens), and that it doesn't come with SSDs standard like the yoga seems to.

That sounds good, I could upgrade the HD later if I really like it. What is the B&N Gold Discount?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AxeManiac posted:

That sounds good, I could upgrade the HD later if I really like it. What is the B&N Gold Discount?

You go here and register an account:
http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/na/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=barnesnoblegold

And hope the website likes you because Lenovo's website is weird and buggy.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

How's the Lenovo Z500? It looks pretty good and it's in the right price range, might be a bit flimsier than a T430 but it has a way better screen and looks nicer.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It's a pretty bad laptop. What are you looking for in a laptop?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."
Anybody have any experience with the Acer Chromebook c7 mentioned earlier? My wife and I share a laptop right now and it'd be great if I could get her something to watch online videos. She would never need it for work or anything. 130 seems to be a great price, but only a 90 day warranty... that's worrying. I don't want to have to deal with some of the bull I've had with my nearly two year old Toshiba satellite ld-755-s218, where I've had to replace the battery, charger, keyboard, and the left click button doesn't work. So, durability from a chromebook?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Infinite Monkeys posted:

How's the Lenovo Z500? It looks pretty good and it's in the right price range, might be a bit flimsier than a T430 but it has a way better screen and looks nicer.

I just looked it up. How is a 15.6" 1366x768 screen "way better"? I'd also be wary of the weird offset keyboard, 5400 rpm hard drive, and 4-cell battery.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

People are pretty happy with their Chromebooks. They are manufacturer refurbished. For $130 that's still only $1.44/day, anything longer than that and you're coming out way, way ahead. I'm thinking about picking one up as a spare for travel.

ThePotatoEater
Feb 28, 2013
Do you know if Lenovo has a retail site like Intel has retailedge? I feel the only way I'm going to get the laptop I want for the price I want, I need every possible discount I can get my hands on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ThePotatoEater posted:

Do you know if Lenovo has a retail site like Intel has retailedge? I feel the only way I'm going to get the laptop I want for the price I want, I need every possible discount I can get my hands on.

A few people in the thread have said that if you call Lenovo, they will find you the lowest possible price available up to and including employee pricing.

ThePotatoEater
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_71 posted:

A few people in the thread have said that if you call Lenovo, they will find you the lowest possible price available up to and including employee pricing.

Do you need to provide the models or just give them some run down information on what you want to see with a laptop in order to buy it?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
It's best to have a model in mind, preferably the specific configuration you want.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

shrughes posted:

It's a pretty bad laptop. What are you looking for in a laptop?
Something that can run games as well as possible while still being portable enough to take to lectures, for £500.

Cream_Filling posted:

I just looked it up. How is a 15.6" 1366x768 screen "way better"? I'd also be wary of the weird offset keyboard, 5400 rpm hard drive, and 4-cell battery.

Bob Morales posted:

I'd suggest putting in capital letters that the T430 screen is dogshit compared to almost any other laptop, even the T530 is a grand improvement.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It's not portable enough to take to lectures, it's the kind of laptop that people eventually leave at home and start asking for a more portable laptop for lecture note-taking.

It has a worse screen than the T430 screen about which you quoted, given that it's a 1366x768 screen.

There are various different configs, but the only I can see for sale right now only have integrated graphics, so that's not very good for gaming. There were discrete GPUs on other models in the past. If you want more helpful advice, we need to see the specific Z500 model you're looking at.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

This. If that's not good, what'd be better?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm going to be starting school to finish a degree in CS in a couple weeks. I've been eyeing the y410p from Lenovo but honestly, my desktop is more than beefy enough to handle pretty much all my needs, so the y410p seems a little bit overkill.

I value battery life, weight, and price. Don't care one bit about gaming capability - or at least, capability to play games made this decade. If I want to game I can just come home and sit at my desk. I also don't really care too much about disk storage space, and don't need a SSD. Pretty much all I want from my laptop is so I can do homework on campus without having to resort to a computer lab. It needs to be able to compile, crunch large amounts of data, and handle 3D graphics no problem. Expected lifespan is ~2.5 years.

Are there any other laptops I should be looking at, or should I go ahead and grab the Y410p? I was thinking about getting one of those but I wasn't sure if they'd meet my computing requirements. Does an Intel i3 still cut it those days? The 4-cell battery on the Thinkpad also concerns me.

I was also thinking about a Chromebook like some people mentioned upthread, but I don't know if they'll have enough muscle for what I'll need out of it for the next four semesters.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Brannock posted:

my desktop is more than beefy enough to handle pretty much all my needs, so the y410p seems a little bit overkill.

I value battery life, weight, and price. Don't care one bit about gaming capability - or at least, capability to play games made this decade. Expected lifespan is ~2.5 years.

Are there any other laptops I should be looking at, or should I go ahead and grab the Y410p? Does an Intel i3 still cut it those days? The 4-cell battery on the Thinkpad also concerns me.

What is your budget

If you want a laptop that will last 2.5 years of daily lugging around, I would lean towards a Thinkpad. You can pick up an x230 with a full size keyboard and 6 cell battery for ~$750 or T430 for $680.

i3 is overkill for anyone not playing games. The i5 will probably decrease your compile times by ~20-30% compared to an i3. If you go with the T430 you can get a 1600x900 screen.

If you can wait till mid september you can get a 1080p T440s for about $800.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Infinite Monkeys posted:

This. If that's not good, what'd be better?
This, this or this, maybe?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

What is your budget

My budget max is $1000, looking for something around the $600-$750 range.

A full-size keyboard + 6-cell + 1600x900 sounds ideal. The T430 I was able to find is $750 starting out though, and the x230 is $775 starting out, both from Lenovo's site.

If an i5 is only going to drop compile times by 25% then I can live with an i3 no problem. I can do other stuff during compile times or just catch a breather.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Brannock posted:

My budget max is $1000, looking for something around the $600-$750 range.

A full-size keyboard + 6-cell + 1600x900 sounds ideal. The T430 I was able to find is $750 starting out though, and the x230 is $775 starting out, both from Lenovo's site.

If an i5 is only going to drop compile times by 25% then I can live with an i3 no problem. I can do other stuff during compile times or just catch a breather.

Nobody pays the quoted price from Lenovo's site, they're just something that's set so corporate buyers can say they're getting 15% off of MSRP when they make a contract. Check the link in the OP for the discount code and they should run you about $750-800 or so loaded out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Use the B&N link in the OP with the :siren: next to it

I haven't done a side by side comparison on the compile times, don't quote me on it. I am generalizing.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Cream_Filling posted:

You go here and register an account:
http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/na/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=barnesnoblegold

And hope the website likes you because Lenovo's website is weird and buggy.

Thanks, took three tries but I got an account. Also jumped up a bit and got the better computer. I'm going to see how the stock HDD works, but they want like 390 bucks to install a crap 256 HDD, might as well buy one off amazon for 189 and just throw Windows 8 on that. I haven't really had a laptop before, you only get 1 HDD on it right? Space won't be that much of an issue, I plan on file serving off my main system while working with large files anyway. Maybe use remote desktop too.

This is the main details from the system I ran with:

• Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
• 12.5" Multitouch HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
• Intel® HD Graphics 4000
• 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
• UltraNav™ with TrackPoint® and buttonless multi-touchpad
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• ThinkPad Series 3 UltraBase
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
• Mobile Broadband upgradable

What is the Mobile Broadband upgradable?

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 19, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Intel Core i7

What is the Mobile Broadband upgradable?

It's a SIM card slot + 3G/4G antenna and a free internal slot for a mobile broadband modem, probably mini-PCI-E. When you get the laptop you'll probably find a slot for the SIM card behind the battery somewhere.

i7 isn't terribly useful in a laptop from a $/performance perspective unless you're crunching impressive amounts of data.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Hadlock posted:

It's a SIM card slot + 3G/4G antenna and a free internal slot for a mobile broadband modem, probably mini-PCI-E. When you get the laptop you'll probably find a slot for the SIM card behind the battery somewhere.

i7 isn't terribly useful in a laptop from a $/performance perspective unless you're crunching impressive amounts of data.

Oh, that's good to know, I'll bump down and save some money and spend that on the SSD upgrade (getting one off amazon on my own). Thanks!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah buying aftermarket SSDs and memory is always a better deal. For Thinkpads they're considered consumer replaceable so they don't even void the warranty or anything. I'd consider dropping the RAM to 4 gb and buying another stick along with your SSD.

Usually on that generation thinkpad you can also get an mSATA SSD and keep the stock hard drive, I think (I can't guarantee on that particular model).

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 19, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

AxeManiac posted:

• Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
• 12.5" Multitouch HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
• Intel® HD Graphics 4000
• 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
• UltraNav™ with TrackPoint® and buttonless multi-touchpad
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• ThinkPad Series 3 UltraBase
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN

The i7 is overkill. What's the difference between the i7-3520M and the i5-3360M? You get 4MB of L3 cache instead of 3MB, and a slight MHz bump of 100 MHz or 200 MHz. (What's the difference between the i5-3360M and i5-3320M? A slight MHz bump. What's the difference between the i5-3320M and i5-3230M? The 3320M has VT-d, and maybe there's a slight MHz bump. And somewhere in that chain of features you might get vPro or something.)

You'll save quite a bit of money if you configure 4 GB of RAM and then buy 4 GB yourself, separately, from crucial.com or Amazon or Newegg.

:siren: Get the *premium* display. :siren: Not the standard one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The only end user feature of vPro is going to be that you can run a continuous VNC connection to the machine even through a BIOS reboot. Which is a cool LAN party trick but not particularly useful on a laptop.

I really like the i5-3320 on mine and while I'd like to think that the 3320 being vPro chips are binned higher than 3230s there's not a lot of difference from a consumer perspective. That said, the $43 difference between the 3230 and 3320 was largely for peace of mind on my part.