Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
Do they make 11.6 inch laptops with non-chiclet keyboards? chiclets keyboards are the standard nowadays because of macbooks, and I hate them more than life itself. I love keyboards like the eeepc 1000ha. Does anyone know of any keyboards like the 1000ha on an 11.6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DoesNotCompute posted:

Nope. There's nowhere to specify this and multiple forums online are showing that even if you call to order you can't get it. Hell, Lenovo wouldn't send me a sleeve from their accessory store because it wasn't available to Canadian shipping.

Yup. It's too miserable for manufacturers to send two SKUs over the same border to adhere to a law that only applies to a quarter of the client base, so they just ship the unusable bilingual garbage and make the more numerous anglophone clients suffer with someone else's [il]legal requirements. A lot of vendors claim those keyboards simply aren't available.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Brut posted:

As has been parroted in this thread a bunch in the last couple of weeks, if you are going to buy the T430 and can wait a few weeks, wait. The T440s is already officially "coming soon" on their website and the T440 should be around the corner.

Or you can specify a US keyboard when you order.

I unfortunately can't wait a couple of weeks because I'm leaving for Belgium September 4th, is it really that bad a deal to have to get a T430?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The big difference will be the screen quality. I think the one on the T430 is garbage, even the 1600x900 one has such bad viewing angles. We don't know how the battery life will compare yet, but I'm assuming it will be better.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Do any non-apple laptops even come close to the Macbook Air's 12 hours when it comes to battery life?

Thinkpads and Sony VAIO's with the slice.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Talking of the VAIO, I've been looking at the VAIO Duo 13 and was wondering if it comes with a haswell?

I've been looking into one and the customization page gives the option of the Intel® CoreTM i5-4200U, 1.6GHz or the Intel® CoreTM i7-4500U, 1.8GHz

From googling, it looks like they both are haswell, and I was curious if:

a) this is the case
b) if its worth upgrading to the i7.

From past conversations here, I've seen people recommend against upgrading to the i7 unless you're looking for serious number crunching, which is not something I really need.

Also, was wondering what the concensus is on the GPU, which is apparently a Intel HD Graphics 4400. Is this a decent GPU?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

PiCroft posted:

Also, was wondering what the concensus is on the GPU, which is apparently a Intel HD Graphics 4400. Is this a decent GPU?

The 4400 is quite good for integrated graphics and should suffice for most use cases except for serious AAA gaming. For the 17W low voltage Intel chips, the 4400 and 5000 are pretty comparable in speed since the 5000 is limited by the total CPU+GPU TDP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Haswell i7 in the MacBook Air gives a 20-25% boost - it's well worth it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

The Haswell i7 in the MacBook Air gives a 20-25% boost - it's well worth it.

20-25% boost on what?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

20-25% boost on what?
Performance. If you don't use the extra muscle, battery life doesn't take a hit, either. The added grunt from the i7 scales with power use so on heavy loads you use almost the same amount of power to get the same amount of work done, just in a smaller amount of time. The i7 is actually a good buy in this case.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i'm looking around for 13/14in ultrabooks in the $600-700 price range. every time i read a review they say, "meh, it's alright, but the battery performance is worse than what you can get from similarly priced ultrabooks." so far i've seen the exact same thing written in reviews about the aspire s3, vivobook, zenbook, inspiron 14z, and one of the ideapads (don't remember which). which ultrabooks are they talking about that are in that price range and get such great battery life?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VulgarandStupid posted:

My dm1z has a Kingston SSD+ in it, which is not a particularly fast SSD and its been great.
Huh. The netbook thread (I think; it was somewhere on SA) said there was no point in putting an SSD into a dm1z, because it didn't help the performance particularly. Thoughts?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. The netbook thread (I think; it was somewhere on SA) said there was no point in putting an SSD into a dm1z, because it didn't help the performance particularly. Thoughts?

It does help.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Do any non-apple laptops even come close to the Macbook Air's 12 hours when it comes to battery life?

My Sony Duo13 does :)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

PiCroft posted:

Talking of the VAIO, I've been looking at the VAIO Duo 13 and was wondering if it comes with a haswell?

I've been looking into one and the customization page gives the option of the Intel® CoreTM i5-4200U, 1.6GHz or the Intel® CoreTM i7-4500U, 1.8GHz

From googling, it looks like they both are haswell, and I was curious if:

a) this is the case
b) if its worth upgrading to the i7.

From past conversations here, I've seen people recommend against upgrading to the i7 unless you're looking for serious number crunching, which is not something I really need.

I bought a Duo 13 pre-release and love it. I got the i7 with the 4400 GPU, 8GB RAM, and 512GB SSD.

I'm consistently seeing 10-12hrs on a charge and it works well for moderate gaming, huge PowerPoint presentations, and enormous spreadsheets.

I did a quasi review in this thread several months ago. It's a good machine, crazy lightweight, but a little expensive and not upgradeable.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Goober Peas posted:

I bought a Duo 13 pre-release and love it. I got the i7 with the 4400 GPU, 8GB RAM, and 512GB SSD.

I'm consistently seeing 10-12hrs on a charge and it works well for moderate gaming, huge PowerPoint presentations, and enormous spreadsheets.

I did a quasi review in this thread several months ago. It's a good machine, crazy lightweight, but a little expensive and not upgradeable.

A little expensive? yeah, I suppose you could say $2400 is a little expensive. :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Superterranean posted:

A little expensive? yeah, I suppose you could say $2400 is a little expensive. :)

Yea, drat. A MacBook Air with those specs (i7/8GB/512GB) is only $1849

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, drat. A MacBook Air with those specs (i7/8GB/512GB) is only $1849
I just configured a Duo 13 exactly like that for $2219.99 on Sony's site.

The Sony also has 60% more pixels and an IPS touchscreen with an integrated digitizer. I'm sure that's worth an extra $370 for some people. Not me, though!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I just configured a Duo 13 exactly like that for $2219.99 on Sony's site.

The Sony also has 60% more pixels and an IPS touchscreen with an integrated digitizer. I'm sure that's worth an extra $370 for some people. Not me, though!

Retina would be $2199, assuming they get 12 hours of battery with the Haswell update. So that's basically the same price, but no touchscreen.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I think the digitizer is a better selling point than the touchscreen.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For what it's worth, if you buy direct from Sony they price match for 30 days. They dropped the price 2 weeks into owning it, and had a sale on day 30. They refunded me the difference (upon request), so ended up spending $1879 + shipping.

Edit: I'm coming up with $1994.99 as current price for my config on Sony's website.

Edit edit: I just discovered I'm getting a supplier discount through work. I can provide folks a link and PIN via PM. It says I'm limited to 5 shares.

Edit edit edit: US only :(

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 20, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

WarpZealot posted:

I got my new X230, and I want to upgrade the harddrive. How do I go about doing this? I have a Lenovo_Recovery partition on the stock harddrive, but where do I go from there? Do I plug both the HDD's on my desktop, make a partition on the SSD, and copy the Lenovo_recovery partition to it? Should I just install Windows 7 on the new SSD and only pick out certain programs/drivers I want to get rid of bloatware or am I likely to skip over installing something really important by doing it this way? Is there a really simple method that I'm not aware of?

You may as well run the utility to make your recovery discs now, and you can use them to recreate the stock drive (and its recovery partition) on your SSD if you wish. I'd recommend keeping Lenovo's recovery partition since it works well and is only 13 GB, and has already saved me untold hassle out on the road twice now.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I was drooling over the Duo 13 but on reflection I think its not only too expensive for my needs (I already have a £1000+ desktop for gaming) but I wanted a Surface Pro a while back because I'd like a tablet that can also serve as a decent gaming laptop when I'm away from home, which is why I'm hoping Microsoft bring out a new Surface with a Haswell sometime soon.

The Duo 13, while a nice machine, is too big for me to really use it as a tablet and I can't justify its power when I already have a machine that handles high-end games.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Does anyone want to take a stab at explaining this keyboard layout: http://i.imgur.com/HXB49A2.jpg

I was on the verge of buying the drat thing until I saw this picture. They've inexplicably swapped " with @, among other bizarre choices. What's going on here?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

be nice wicka posted:

Does anyone want to take a stab at explaining this keyboard layout: http://i.imgur.com/HXB49A2.jpg

I was on the verge of buying the drat thing until I saw this picture. They've inexplicably swapped " with @, among other bizarre choices. What's going on here?

UK keyboard

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

go3 posted:

UK keyboard

Do you think that model (S400CA-DB51T) only comes with a UK keyboard or is that just the one they happened to take the promo shots of?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

be nice wicka posted:

Do you think that model (S400CA-DB51T) only comes with a UK keyboard or is that just the one they happened to take the promo shots of?

Looks like they were just lazy with the promo shots. Asus's US website takes you to Amazon with the S400CA-DB51T selected. The UK model looks to be S400CA-CA***H

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
There's a german website selling used notebooks for pretty much the same price across the board, could someone point out which models are best overall among these? I'm not sure if the "new" prices given there are accurate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They're all Core 2 Duo which are fast enough for Youtube and basic steam games (think anything less intensive than Kerbal Space Program). Probably good enough for university for four years so long as your favorite game is Plants vs Zombies. They're all 2008-2009 era machines though.

X200 is a 12" screen (the newer x230 is a 12.5" screen) and the T400 is a solid beast.

Those all look like corporate "off-lease" refurbs.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Hadlock posted:

They're all Core 2 Duo which are fast enough for Youtube and basic steam games (think anything less intensive than Kerbal Space Program). Probably good enough for university for four years so long as your favorite game is Plants vs Zombies. They're all 2008-2009 era machines though.

X200 is a 12" screen (the newer x230 is a 12.5" screen) and the T400 is a solid beast.

Those all look like corporate "off-lease" refurbs.

I see, my actual price range is about up to ~450€ and I'm not sure I can get anything new/better for that little. Don't want to play games at all, just watching the occasional stream/youtube in 1080p would be nice but not worth specifically dropping money for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hadlock posted:

It's funny you mention this because I decided earlier in the week "Well, if most of what I want to play on a notebook is indie steam games, maybe my C2D 1.6ghz Inspiron E1505 would be just fine."

I fire up one of the Telltale adventure games. Holy hell, it crawls and is unplayable. I fire up Bastion, well if I keep the resolution at minimum it's kinda playable but a bit jerky. I spot checked a few more with varying levels of success before giving up installing them.

It kind of blows my mind that these indie games are more resource intensive than early Source games (I was able to play HL2 on this notebook no problem), but I guess that's what 9 years of progress brings.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Those should work for you, but $600 usd for a five year old laptop seems kind of steep.

You might want to explore looking at a netbook-class laptop or a Nexus 7 tablet ($250 usd) for general computing and some sort of HDMI dongle like a Chromecast ($35 usd) for your TV to meet your needs.

Edit: yeah I suspect it has something to do with Source being written in C++ for a 2001 era PC vs a game written on top of a third party engine designed to be as flexible as possible (Unity, Unreal) and leaning heavily upon the HD3000 and more modern chipsets.

Laptop gaming wasn't really feasible before the HD3000, and even then just barely. HD4000 in Ivy Bridge was a huge leap forward.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 20, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

So it looks like the T440s comes with discrete graphics and no option for integrated. I don't want an optical drive/bay either, so how much longer am I going to have to wait for a T441s or X2 Carbon or whatever they're going to be called?

I'm this close to just buying a MBA already but I hate OSX and running anything else on one just seems retarded, as does spending a decent amount of money on something with a TN panel.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Hadlock posted:

Those should work for you, but $600 usd for a five year old laptop seems kind of steep.

You might want to explore looking at a netbook-class laptop or a Nexus 7 tablet ($250 usd) for general computing and some sort of HDMI dongle like a Chromecast ($35 usd) for your TV to meet your needs.

Maybe I'm mistakenly under the impression that those are good deals, I know next to nothing about notebooks unfortunately (neither what the difference between a netbook and anotebook is). Primary use will be typing up papers and reading, not sure a tablet would be great for that. If I solely asked for a notebook in the 400-600usd range with a good screen&battery for browsing/youtube/university-type stuff and nothing else, would there be a solid option around?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

heiden posted:

If I solely asked for a notebook in the 400-600usd range with a good screen&battery for browsing/youtube/university-type stuff and nothing else, would there be a solid option around?
A Chromebook should be good for what you want, but the screens aren't particularly good. Unless you get the Pixel, but that's just too much to spend and doesn't have good battery life like the ARM version.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

So it looks like the T440s comes with discrete graphics and no option for integrated. I don't want an optical drive/bay either, so how much longer am I going to have to wait for a T441s or X2 Carbon or whatever they're going to be called?

I'm this close to just buying a MBA already but I hate OSX and running anything else on one just seems retarded, as does spending a decent amount of money on something with a TN panel.

I am in your exact boat.

And to be fair the MBA panel is actually pretty nice but drat.

Zenbook Infinity maybe? But there's even less press going around about that than the T440s

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

A Chromebook should be good for what you want, but the screens aren't particularly good. Unless you get the Pixel, but that's just too much to spend and doesn't have good battery life like the ARM version.

Reading around, it seems like good screens are reserved for a higher price-range entirely :(

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Optimus means you're not running the dGPU unless you need it and you can force programs to use the integrated individually as required. I understand from the viewpoint of not wanting to paying for something you won't use but seeing as the MBA doesn't have a 1080p option, much less an IPS option, besides the extra size and weight, how could the T440s not fit your needs?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

heiden posted:

I know next to nothing about notebooks unfortunately (neither what the difference between a netbook and anotebook is). Primary use will be typing up papers and reading, not sure a tablet would be great for that. If I solely asked for a notebook in the 400-600usd range with a good screen&battery for browsing/youtube/university-type stuff and nothing else, would there be a solid option around?

The T400 is perfect for your needs then. A T410 uses an i3 or i5 processor which is at least a somewhat modern processor.

A netbook is like a Ford Fiesta or VW Polo, a notebook or laptop is like a jetta or 3 BMW series. A T400 or T430 is like a BMW 5 series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DoesNotCompute posted:

I've got one, I've had it for about a month so far and haven't had any problems. The track pad is sort of lovely though, so get a wireless mouse probably.

Oh yeah and since you're canadian it'll have the insufferable bilingual keyboard that almost made me send mine back. :quebec:

Sucks about the trackpad but it's still far and away the best model I've encountered.

Still, if I'm going to be investing in a good laptop, should I wait until the T440s come out? I'm not super up to date on laptops and poo poo, but should I wait for them? If so, why? The Y410p looks fine to me, but I'm not really good with all the minute and jazz.