Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Old, broken Lenovo X220's being sold on ebay for parts have shot *way* up in price over a few months. I bought my current one for $30 this summer and then bought the missing parts for it and have been set with a laptop ever since. In the listings I remember having several others in that price range to choose from.

Now, I want a backup laptop that I can have running separately so that I always have at least one, and can borrow parts back and forth. For the last month prices for all broken X220's are always above $100, even for ones where the seller isn't reporting even a single part as working - broken screen, no power on, no accessories, etc. What on earth is going on this month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Getting my girlfriend a laptop for Christmas, and I'm miserly (On account of being a poor) enough that I need to keep it below $500. She will be using it for doing school work and occasionally playing videos. It doesn't need to be able to run the next Crysis, basically. Anyone see anything wrong (aside from the lack of ssd) with this one?

It strikes me as a pretty solid deal, and probably a bit more computer than she'll need for awhile.

That seems like a slightly-upgraded version of the same-series Acer E 15 I recommended two posts above yours (it's the -33BM version, on Amazon for $350.) The -72N3 you found has double the RAM (4 GB being maybe $40) and an i7, however it's an ULV CPU and still 2C4T, being basically just a faster version of the ULV i5 and i3 variants. It has the same HDD (which needs to be supplemented with an SSD, maybe $60 for 128 GB) but I'm not 100% sure that this one has a backlit keyboard (which the -33BM and the other variants in that line have.) Considering the fact that you'd have to do the SSD upgrade on the -72N3 anyway, and don't need the i7, I'd suggest grabbing the -33BM, which you can probably even find cheaper used/refurb'd on eBay (and it was just $315 for BF/CM.) You could probably just do the m.2 SSD upgrade and leave it at 4 GB RAM.

However...if all she's doing is typing and watching, you can get a nice Chromebook within your budget. Check my link in the same post, again, two above yours.

Roxors posted:

So I am looking at

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-15-bw017cl-notebk-a12-15-6-inch-notebk/prod21340045.ip?xid=plp1117-elec:product:1:5

as a budget laptop option for browsing, streaming video, and playing older gog and steam games(the dream would be skyrim on low quality, but I'm not holding my breath). It looks pretty comparable to the Acer Aspire E 15 laptop I saw mentioned earlier. According to future mark, the Radeon R7 is better than the intel 620, but I am not sure how accurate that really is or how meaningful the score on there is, since I can't find much else on it, and I don't know if that fact the processor is an AMD really matters or not.

A crappy AMD APU and 15" display at only WXGA resolution? Pass. Get the -33BM I've been talking about. The APU's possibly got a slightly better GPU than the 620, but the Intel will have the better CPU. Here's Skyrim running on basically identical specs to that Acer, and it looks just barely playable. LowSpecGamer has tweaks that should further improve performance.

Depending on your budget, though, you could get a similar laptop with a 940MX for ~$500 or an even better MX150 for $600. The Acer -33BM will cost you ~$450 with the requisite upgrades (SSD & RAM.)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Kinda feeling like buying a computer without an SSD for a SO is grounds for a breakup.

Like, here, have a 10 year old super-frustrating computing experience, PS I love you.

But in all seriousness, the snappiness of an SSD is just something everybody should have by default rather than waiting for a spinner to rev up. In that sense, do the right thing and tell your lady to get herself a lappy with a SSD.

It's amazing we survived those dark HDD times, tbh.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is a refurb Lenovo Carbon X1 from ebay worth it? The price is good and it's on my list of laptops I'm interested in, but not sure what the quality control of Lenovo refurbs is.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Verisimilidude posted:

Is a refurb Lenovo Carbon X1 from ebay worth it? The price is good and it's on my list of laptops I'm interested in, but not sure what the quality control of Lenovo refurbs is.

First party refurbs in general are often better than new, since they go through an extra QC cycle and come with the same warranty. Third party refurbs can be sketchy as poo poo because they tend to cannibalize parts from other machines, and warranty support is a dice roll.

As long as you're positive it's a manufacturer refurbished machine, go for it. Otherwise, just get a used one.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

First party refurbs in general are often better than new, since they go through an extra QC cycle and come with the same warranty. Third party refurbs can be sketchy as poo poo because they tend to cannibalize parts from other machines, and warranty support is a dice roll.

As long as you're positive it's a manufacturer refurbished machine, go for it. Otherwise, just get a used one.

So does something like this look good? It says "An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or manufacturer-approved vendor."

If so, is there anything else on this item I should be concerned about?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Verisimilidude posted:

So does something like this look good? It says "An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or manufacturer-approved vendor."

If so, is there anything else on this item I should be concerned about?

No, it doesn't look good. It wasn't refurbished by Lenovo, and it doesn't come with a Lenovo warranty.

By "first party refurb" I meant "refurbished by the company that manufactured the laptop".

Read the description.

quote:

60 Day EFX Digital warranty. (Terms and conditions apply--details upon request)

These Notebook's do show some heavier signs of use to the outer cover and may have some slight bright spots/marks on the screen. They are in full working order.

If that doesn't set off alarm bells for you, you might want to avoid eBay entirely.

edit2: also, that's a first gen carbon from 2012. You're not going to find official refurbs of that model, and you should avoid it anyway because the displays are unacceptably bad. I wouldn't buy a carbon older than 3rd gen.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 11, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If that doesn't set off alarm bells for you, you might want to avoid eBay entirely.

if he felt comfortable doing this himself he wouldn't be posting in this thread

the thread where he is asking for help

help with this exact task

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm also looking into Xiaomi and Huawei laptops. Does anyone have any experience with them?

For instance, does anyone have anything to say about these laptops? Huawei Matebook D

and the Huawei Matebook X

The Matebook D seems like a pretty good deal, though it doesn't come with an SSD. But for that price ($499) it seems like a great deal. And the Matebook X seems like it has the profile I'm looking for, and at $799 seems like a pretty good bargain considering what's packed in. For an extra $200 I can upgrade to a 512GB SSD and an i7 processor.

I'm also currently looking at this ASUS Zenbook UX430

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 11, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm also looking into Xiaomi and Huawei laptops. Does anyone have any experience with them?

For instance, does anyone have anything to say about these laptops? Huawei Matebook D

The Matebook D seems like a pretty good deal, though it doesn't come with an SSD. But for that price ($499) it seems like a great deal. And the Matebook X seems like it has the profile I'm looking for, and at $799 seems like a pretty good bargain considering what's packed in. For an extra $200 I can upgrade to a 512GB SSD and an i7 processor.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX

E: the laptops you're linking kind of cover a pretty broad spectrum of use- as an example, the matebook d has a DGPU and a lovely spinner HD, where as the asus is basically an overgrown ultrabook. both the asus and the matebook x have last generation processors, too

the first thing i would decide is whether or not you need/want a dedicated graphics card and then work from there

Worf fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 11, 2017

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX

E: the laptops you're linking kind of cover a pretty broad spectrum of use- as an example, the matebook d has a DGPU and a lovely spinner HD, where as the asus is basically an overgrown ultrabook. both the asus and the matebook x have last generation processors, too

the first thing i would decide is whether or not you need/want a dedicated graphics card and then work from there

That's a good thing to consider! I'll try and figure that out and narrow down my results. Thanks!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The xiaomi machines are both fantastic. I would take the 15" one over the Matebook D due to the much better dGPU. The big downside is zero support outside mainland China, so if something goes wrong you're gonna have to deal with the importer rather than the manufacturer.

The Matebook X is basically a 12" macbook clone, but better due to the full-fat CPU and the extra usb-c on the right side. It'll still throttle like crazy and the battery life is meh, but the 3:2 display and form factor make up for it imho. Just don't pay retail for it.

edit: that acer is a heck of a deal for the specs, but it's a chunky monkey and the display, while IPS and FHD, is a huge step down from the Xiaomi models in terms of brightness and color depth.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 11, 2017

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Atomizer posted:

A crappy AMD APU and 15" display at only WXGA resolution? Pass. Get the -33BM I've been talking about. The APU's possibly got a slightly better GPU than the 620, but the Intel will have the better CPU. Here's Skyrim running on basically identical specs to that Acer, and it looks just barely playable. LowSpecGamer has tweaks that should further improve performance.

Depending on your budget, though, you could get a similar laptop with a 940MX for ~$500 or an even better MX150 for $600. The Acer -33BM will cost you ~$450 with the requisite upgrades (SSD & RAM.)

Oh, I didn't even think about the display, I was just looking at the numbers. Thanks for pointing that out. So this looks reasonable for a 940MX laptop, but I'm not seeing a MX150 laptop anywhere for less than $700.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Screw it, I just plunked down a whole $100 for one of the bad condition X220s on eBay. That's like $70 more than I was hoping to spend based on trends of the eBay listings this summer.

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009
I posted not that long ago looking for ideas about a laptop to get my girlfriend, where we needed 13-14" screen, somewhere between £1000-1200 and not horrible red-and-black ugly gamer nonsense, but some kind of dedicated GPU so she could jump into some games sometimes. The response was to look at laptops with an MX150.

At the moment they are thin on the ground, but the best option I've found so far is the HP Envy 13 https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-ENVY-13-ad013na-13-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B072M4XYT7/, specifically the one with the i7-7500U, 8GB RAM and a 360GB SSD. We found a model to check out in a shop and can confirm that the keyboard/trackpad aren't the best but overall it seems decent. Realistically there don't seem to be any other options without dropping down the the last-gen GPU, which is a significant downgrade. I'm hesitant to go with the Xiaomi Air 13 because we have no way of actually trying one and it looks like we'd have to import, which can wipe out any cost savings.

We're pretty happy to go with this one unless anywhere can point out a significant issue with it that means we should avoid?

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015
I'm looking to get a new Windows laptop after years of using a Macbook Air. I plan to mostly use it as a media server, to download poo poo and play it on my Plex network, etc. So I'll mostly have it plugged into a docking station but I also want it to be light enough to be portable. The secondary use would be light internet browsing, and Excel and Powerpoint stuff. I don't care about high-end gaming performance.

Another thing I want is a sturdy build. The Macbook Air is sturdy as hell with good action on the keyboard and that kind of thing. I use a Lenovo at work and that thing just feels cheap and chintzy.

As for price, I'm willing to pay up to $1,000 and I'm down for a good refurbished deal. Based on my research so far, it seems like the Dell XPS would be a good fit. There are a bunch of refurbished options on Newegg in the $800-1000 range. What do ya'l think? Is the XPS well regarded? What other options should I consider?

Edit: I just saw a review of the Asus Zenbook 3 and that looks good too. Anyone have experience with those?

PosteriorChain fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 12, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

:siren: I mention this below but just to make it obvious, to anyone considering a 940MX/MX150 gaming laptop, Best Buy has a Dell with 1050 for $600!! :siren:

Edit: This Acer for $780 is probably worth the upgrade over the Dell if you can spring for the extra $180, and it's at that price until the end of the day. The CPU & RAM are the same, but it's got the 1050 Ti and a 256 GB SSD which are probably worth the price difference (especially because you're not going to be able to upgrade the GPU on your own.) Laptops with these same specs are often refurb'd in the $700-800 range on eBay.

Also the Helios 300 is $50 cheaper at $1k, but that's hardly a huge discount. This illustrates why I recommend the Helios at $1k, and then a 1050 Ti only at around $200 cheaper or so, otherwise the price/performance ratio swings in the former's favor if the latter's anywhere closer in price.

Verisimilidude posted:

The Xiaomi Air 13 is pretty nice, although it's not for everyone as you're pretty much on your own should anything go wrong with it.

Roxors posted:

Oh, I didn't even think about the display, I was just looking at the numbers. Thanks for pointing that out. So this looks reasonable for a 940MX laptop, but I'm not seeing a MX150 laptop anywhere for less than $700.

Yeah, the prices seem to vacillate, but that Acer is the 940MX version I recommend (again, check eBay for slightly cheaper versions) and while right now I see a Swift 3 for a bit under $700 new on Amazon, scratch that because you can get this Dell with a 1050 for $600!!! It's only got a "hybrid drive" so you'd probably want to add a real HDD, but for the price, that's the most gaming performance you're gonna get in a laptop.

TheDukeOfFail posted:

I posted not that long ago looking for ideas about a laptop to get my girlfriend, where we needed 13-14" screen, somewhere between £1000-1200 and not horrible red-and-black ugly gamer nonsense, but some kind of dedicated GPU so she could jump into some games sometimes. The response was to look at laptops with an MX150.

At the moment they are thin on the ground, but the best option I've found so far is the HP Envy 13 https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-ENVY-13-ad013na-13-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B072M4XYT7/, specifically the one with the i7-7500U, 8GB RAM and a 360GB SSD. We found a model to check out in a shop and can confirm that the keyboard/trackpad aren't the best but overall it seems decent. Realistically there don't seem to be any other options without dropping down the the last-gen GPU, which is a significant downgrade. I'm hesitant to go with the Xiaomi Air 13 because we have no way of actually trying one and it looks like we'd have to import, which can wipe out any cost savings.

We're pretty happy to go with this one unless anywhere can point out a significant issue with it that means we should avoid?

That HP does look nice. I don't see anything majorly wrong with it. The trouble is simply recommending laptops in other countries because the markets are completely different. If that's a good price for a laptop over there, then go for it, because aside from something like the aforementioned Acer Swift you're not going to find a gaming-capable laptop that's cheap and not gamer-aesthetic.

PosteriorChain posted:

I'm looking to get a new Windows laptop after years of using a Macbook Air. I plan to mostly use it as a media server, to download poo poo and play it on my Plex network, etc. So I'll mostly have it plugged into a docking station but I also want it to be light enough to be portable. The secondary use would be light internet browsing, and Excel and Powerpoint stuff. I don't care about high-end gaming performance.

Another thing I want is a sturdy build. The Macbook Air is sturdy as hell with good action on the keyboard and that kind of thing. I use a Lenovo at work and that thing just feels cheap and chintzy.

As for price, I'm willing to pay up to $1,000 and I'm down for a good refurbished deal. Based on my research so far, it seems like the Dell XPS would be a good fit. There are a bunch of refurbished options on Newegg in the $800-1000 range. What do ya'l think? Is the XPS well regarded? What other options should I consider?

The XPS line is indeed well-respected for an overall "nice" laptop (in addition to something like the X1 Carbon) but my first thought was regarding your use-case. The Plex server is what you'd run on a desktop tucked away somewhere, and then it would stream to your laptop. I mean you clearly have experience with it already but I can't figure out what you're getting at. The other tasks (browsing, productivity) can be done by pretty much any cheap system. Again, I don't quite understand what you're going for, but maybe that's just me. :shrug:

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 12, 2017

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015

Atomizer posted:

The XPS line is indeed well-respected for an overall "nice" laptop (in addition to something like the X1 Carbon) but my first thought was regarding your use-case. The Plex server is what you'd run on a desktop tucked away somewhere, and then it would stream to your laptop. I mean you clearly have experience with it already but I can't figure out what you're getting at. The other tasks (browsing, productivity) can be done by pretty much any cheap system. Again, I don't quite understand what you're going for, but maybe that's just me. :shrug:

Fair points.... perhaps I'm thinking about this all wrong. I have the Plex server running on an old rear end desktop currently and instead of dropping money on just replacing that I was thinking I'd look for a laptop that could handle that AND also be more versatile. The desktop is kind of big and clunky and I'd like to downsize it for space reasons. But I see what you mean... it may make more sense in my case to upgrade the desktop.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

PosteriorChain posted:

Fair points.... perhaps I'm thinking about this all wrong. I have the Plex server running on an old rear end desktop currently and instead of dropping money on just replacing that I was thinking I'd look for a laptop that could handle that AND also be more versatile. The desktop is kind of big and clunky and I'd like to downsize it for space reasons. But I see what you mean... it may make more sense in my case to upgrade the desktop.

There's a PLEX thread over in Inspect Your Gadgets where you can ask around about cheap options. I use an old Optiplex 7010 SFF that I got for free and it's more than up to the task.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Helios 300 @ $999...but includes a VR headset...pretty good deal, no? The headset is over $300 on it's own.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076H8FTD7/

Headset is delayed, but able to secure at $999 now (laptop ships immediately)

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013
The 512 SSD Razer blade is on sale from Amazon for about $1700. I am a real sucker for build quality...would one of you fine folks remind me why it is bad/why I am a dumb person for thinking about pulling the trigger on this?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hotsauce posted:

Helios 300 @ $999...but includes a VR headset...pretty good deal, no? The headset is over $300 on it's own.

Seems like thats $50 less for the same laptop with more accessories soo

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

Seems like thats $50 less for the same laptop with more accessories soo

Bah, I got this one for $674 (had $25 off $200 code). 2-yr warranty was better than a VR headset I'd probably never really use.

https://m.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-Series-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5---6GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100380743.html

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

hotsauce posted:

Bah, I got this one for $674 (had $25 off $200 code). 2-yr warranty was better than a VR headset I'd probably never really use.

https://m.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-Series-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5---6GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100380743.html

Wow, that looks really good. Is this better than the $780 Acer nitro 5?
E: Nevermind, looks like it just went out of stock before I could order it.

Roxors fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 13, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
My friend does amateur photoshooting and photo-editing and has an old Lenovo, asked me for recommendation to update. Budget is around $1200.

My personal priorities: really great screen with good color accuracy and wide viewing angle. Fast enough for Adobe suite. Premium feel and will hold up for another 5 years.

This is what I've pulled:

quote:

XPS 15
Processor
7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
Memory
8GB 2400MHz, DDR4; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive
1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive + 32GB Solid State Drive
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5
LCD
15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge, Non-touch

Any thoughts? I don't like the tiny SSD but she loads a billion photos onto her hard drive and doesn't pare them down so she specifically requested a large drive. This adds up to $1,149.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hold up for 5 years = 16 gig of ram and a bigger SSD imo

the xps 15 generally is a great rec though.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Statutory Ape posted:

hold up for 5 years = 16 gig of ram and a bigger SSD imo

the xps 15 generally is a great rec though.

She's been doing Photoshop on a Lenovo with like 2gb of ram or something preposterous for a year already...I agree with you but am stretching the budget already.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

PosteriorChain posted:

Do you need to get rid of the desktop for power/heat reasons? Or can you just stick it in a closet and let it be a server and nothing else. Then you're free to use whatever laptop you want for other stuff. You could certainly go the SFF desktop route (those little Lenovo Tiny Desktops or the HP equivalents are nice) if you really need to down-size.

hotsauce posted:

I think this is worth it. The laptop is by itself, and while I have no idea how good that MR setup is I have a Rift and love it.

hotsauce posted:

This is a HELL of a deal! :stare: The CPU is fine (although the 1060 is worthy of the 7700HQ) and you can always upgrade the RAM easily. It has an SSD so you just need to add a cheap HDD for game storage and you're good to go!

Ammanas posted:

My friend does amateur photoshooting and photo-editing and has an old Lenovo, asked me for recommendation to update. Budget is around $1200.

My personal priorities: really great screen with good color accuracy and wide viewing angle. Fast enough for Adobe suite. Premium feel and will hold up for another 5 years.

This is what I've pulled:

Any thoughts? I don't like the tiny SSD but she loads a billion photos onto her hard drive and doesn't pare them down so she specifically requested a large drive. This adds up to $1,149.

How about the XPS 13 instead? A little smaller & cheaper and if she's got a tight budget :heysexy: it's the better route as she doesn't need the 1050. I don't think that even a huge SSD will have enough storage for any serious amount of photos, plus she's going to need backups anyway so some external storage and/or a NAS would be necessary.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

So, I've got a bit of a decision on my hands. My laptop was out of warranty and the fan started to die. I took it to a local repair shop to get the fan replaced instead of shipping it to MSI. Well the repair shop straight up broke it. They said they'd send it to MSI at their cost and have it fixed. Well, they heard back from MSI and it would need a new motherboard and cost $1000 Canadian. They gave me the choice of either getting MSI to repair it at their cost, or giving me $1100 in store credit to buy a new laptop. It seemed to me like $1100 is a pretty good value for an older laptop. The only downsides are computer poo poo is crazy expensive in Canada and I'd be limited to the models they carry. They have two options I'm considering, but they're both more expensive than $1100 so I'd have to add some of my own money into it. I'm just not sure if the upgrades would be worth what they'd cost me.

The broken laptop is a MSI GE62 Apache Pro. It's old, so I couldn't find a link for my exact specs.
Its got an i7-4700HQ, 12gb DDR3, GTX 970M 3gb, and a 128gb SATA SSD. It would cost me nothing to get it fixed.

The first option is this. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/NH.Q2QAA.014
It's got an i7-7700HQ, 16gb DDR4, GTX 1050Ti 4gb, and a 256gb SATA SSD. With the $1100 credit, it would cost me $486.

The second option is this. https://otvtech.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=14267&virtuemart_category_id=140&Itemid=324
It's got an i7-7700HQ, 16gb DDR4, GTX 1060 6gb, 128gb NVMe SSD, and a 120hz screen. With the $1100 credit, it would cost me $766.

Would they be noticeably better than my current laptop? Is either one of those worth the money? Should I just get my current laptop fixed for free?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I was going to sleep on this but when I came back to it later last night it said it was sold out. Then it came back this morning. Then it sold out again in the time it took to make a costco account. While I wait for more stock to come in, is there some reason this deal is too good to be true? It's got the 1060 I want but don't need, a good SSD, a good processor, and it doesn't even look too silly despite being a "gaming" laptop. I imagine the battery life isn't too great but whatcha gonna do? I've been waiting a while for a laptop that's within my budget to appear for a while and this thing is way more powerful than I thought I'd be able to afford.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I was going to sleep on this but when I came back to it later last night it said it was sold out. Then it came back this morning. Then it sold out again in the time it took to make a costco account. While I wait for more stock to come in, is there some reason this deal is too good to be true? It's got the 1060 I want but don't need, a good SSD, a good processor, and it doesn't even look too silly despite being a "gaming" laptop. I imagine the battery life isn't too great but whatcha gonna do? I've been waiting a while for a laptop that's within my budget to appear for a while and this thing is way more powerful than I thought I'd be able to afford.

I bought that laptop at 800 and thought it was a steal. You won't find anything near as good for that price.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tuxedo Ted posted:

The only thing people seem to complain about is the FHD screen being dull - doesn't get very bright and the colours aren't very vibrant, so things look kinda meh on it compared to its peers. Also that it's fairly big and a bit weighty, that might be compared to other non-gamer-lookin laptops like ultrabooks though

The battery's meant to be pretty small, but it has a quick charge thing, so it depends if you need all-day battery or if you'll be able to top it up

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I'm having trouble telling whether this has a 2.5" slot as well? Some people are saying the 7000 series doesn't at all some are saying it depends on the model? Anyone know/have a guess?

Edit: Checked with Dell support and they say yes.

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 13, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Ted posted:

It's "too good to be true" because it's a Costco deal. Extreme couponing individually on my own got me the i7 model for under $1K, so this isn't that insane.

7577 Long term impressions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=626&perpage=40#post477742470
7577 review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efkQrXv4ckc
Another 7577 review: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-7577-i5-7300HQ-GTX-1060-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.264134.0.html

Arkangelus posted:

I'm having trouble telling whether this has a 2.5" slot as well? Some people are saying the 7000 series doesn't at all some are saying it depends on the model? Anyone know/have a guess?

Edit: Checked with Dell support and they say yes.

Yes, there is a place internally for a 2.5" drive, Also, no optical bay.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 13, 2017

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's "too good to be true" because it's a Costco deal.
I think there might be a subtext here I'm missing. Do you mean because of Costco membership costs or what?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Costco just sells stuff at great prices, often shockingly low prices. They like to keep their members happy.

It's back in stock now, BTW. Run.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No subtext at all. Coscto gets something for a stupidly good deal like this from time to time. I believe the company parlance is that they call them "treasures", and bury them in the store so you have to go around all the other aisles in hunt of them.

Not sure how that model translates to their web site, but a deal's a deal.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Is the Costco Dell the one with TB3? Cause :drat:

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No subtext at all. Coscto gets something for a stupidly good deal like this from time to time. I believe the company parlance is that they call them "treasures", and bury them in the store so you have to go around all the other aisles in hunt of them.

Not sure how that model translates to their web site, but a deal's a deal.

Oh yeah, cool. My room mate is already a member so this is perfect for him. Having a 3 year warranty including the visa extended warranty will be nice for his peace of mind (he doesn't have their citi card for the 4 year warranty) too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, ordered the Costco Dell as soon as I saw it restocked. Anyone know if there are warrantee issues with adding a hard drive? I think I would be fine with an external drive to keep the Costco warranty, but putting a 2nd one in the laptop would be best.