Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Statutory Ape posted:

<me> i want the poo poo out of that
<friend> yeah drat that's tiny
<me> unfortunately i cant think of a single use for it
<friend> easy to bring to the shitter
<me> lol
<friend> sitting at a conspicuous part of a starbucks/dunkin so people see your sweet rear end tiny computer
<me> tell the cute barista how its small but really good and effective because im actually using a remote desktop connecftion to my computer i built at home and,

pretty much what a friend of mine said in a group chat

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Statutory Ape posted:

<me> tell the cute barista how its small but really good and effective because im actually using a remote desktop connecftion to my computer i built at home and,
I thought this was going to be a penis size joke, which made the way it actually went seem really weird.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-Tou...ndows+10+tablet

I know you said on the bigger side, but consider the following:
Someone gave me a giftcared for Amazon, and I picked this up as a gamble to see if it would be any good. For $70 bucks, you get:

Quad Core Atom CPU (1.66 Ghz Turbo)
2GB LV-DDR3
8 Inch 1920x1200 HD IPS Touchscreen
32GB SSD with MicroSD Slot (supports 128GB-256gb SDXC)
Bluetooth
802.11n
Micro-HDMI and Micro USB(Both charging and USB Host)

I've been pretty impressed, its a GREAT mobile netbook, and comes with FULL Windows 10 Home, with Creators Update so you can have the Linux subsystem.
Pros:
Really REALLY tiny, 10 point touch screen, high resolution decent video playback
USB Rechargeable, so you can charge it with a Phone charger or a mobile battery pack.
Comes with a Micro-USB to USB adapter for the MicroUSB port
Screen is very crisp and bright

Cons:
Internal speakers are poor quality
Wifi Antenna has poor reception
Its not the fastest thing out there, but fast enough for 1080 HD video, light gaming, and minimal multitasking
Its super thin. Its so thin, you can bend it.

If you have some more cash to spend, these are REALLY awesome:
https://www.amazon.com/LANRUO-Pocke...-4&keywords=GPD

Quad Core Intel Atom (2.5 Ghz Turbo)
8GB LV-DDR3
128GB SSD
USB 3.0 Ports and USB-C Ports
7 Inch 1920 x 1200 touchscreen
Aluminum Body
Pocket Size

You know, I want that tablet, but I just know it's gonna have ADUPS or some other bullshit on it, just like the Nook 7 did last year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

I've been looking for a new gadget in the ultrabook/tablet category. Newegg popped up a $400 HP ProBook X360, which despite being heavily marked down still seemed over priced for what is is. Any opinions on that one? Or on the more bargain tablet like Onda Obook11? Amazon and Newegg have a bunch of sub $200 tablets by companies ive never heard of.

My use case is using a stylus to hand write notes on pdfs and word docs + Slack/Discord/Webbrowsing. I started looking at the more expensive things because I have a bunch of low end games on steam that seem to run on everything. Preferably something on the bigger side with a good display.

This is to replace a dying Asus N550J from 2013 which I got when I was constantly traveling. Its definitely been overkill for what I use it for but its physically falling apart and the battery doesn't hold much anymore.
I got myself the Cube Mix Plus for pretty much this use case. The two options Commie posted are great and I would love to play around with them but they don't have stylus support.

Pros: Core-M is really fast for what it is, Photoshop and Lightroom are perfectly usable. Proper 128GB SSD that you can upgrade. Wacom EMR pen support. Intel AC wireless. Micro USB, USB-C, Micro SD slot on the tablet and two USB-A in the keyboard, which isn't the floppy kind. Like $250 bucks on sale.
Cons: Could've been smaller, with the keyboard it's pretty bulky and heavy (for the size). Only 4 gigs of RAM which is just barely enough for Lightroom. Pen a bit wonky around the corners; trackpad not very good. lovely thermal design so it throttles more than necessary (can be modded). Screen isn't laminated. Doesn't charge from Micro USB so you can't use public chargers.

That's a lot of cons but most are pretty minor gripes and acceptable compromise for the price. I was just on a month long backpacking vacation and was happy to have it with me. The weight it definitely noticeable though when you're walking the whole day. What I think I really want is the Yoga Book, but with the Core-M, digitizer in the screen and a real, if thin/low travel keyboard instead of the gimmick. Maybe it'd work for you though, the form factor is pretty mind blowing:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
At the moment I have a Dell Inspiron something laptop that's a couple of years old. It's starting to be slow, so I'm thinking about replacing it.

I mainly use it to browse the web and watch YouTube and stuff, but I also use it for some minor gaming. Looking through Steam, the last games I've played were Crusader Kings II, Divine Divinity and Diablo III. So not super mega HD graphic games etc. My laptop now does have a separate video card though, so that helps.
Any suggestions for a replacement? Nothing too high end, some nice midrange thing should be fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You know, I want that tablet, but I just know it's gonna have ADUPS or some other bullshit on it, just like the Nook 7 did last year.

Did a pretty heavy scan, nothing yet.

And that specific manufacturer and tablet was featured in the Microsoft store, itd be a hilarious scandal if it had spyware pre-installed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

Did a pretty heavy scan, nothing yet.

And that specific manufacturer and tablet was featured in the Microsoft store, itd be a hilarious scandal if it had spyware pre-installed.

Wait, Microsoft store? Goddamnit, I thought it was an Android tablet.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

shut up blegum posted:

At the moment I have a Dell Inspiron something laptop that's a couple of years old. It's starting to be slow, so I'm thinking about replacing it.

I mainly use it to browse the web and watch YouTube and stuff, but I also use it for some minor gaming. Looking through Steam, the last games I've played were Crusader Kings II, Divine Divinity and Diablo III. So not super mega HD graphic games etc. My laptop now does have a separate video card though, so that helps.
Any suggestions for a replacement? Nothing too high end, some nice midrange thing should be fine.

what video card does your current one have// does it have an SSD?

if its a decent video card but you dont have an SSD that might make the most sense, also possibly a RAM upgrade.

if not, whats your budget and desire for portability?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Statutory Ape posted:

if its a decent video card but you dont have an SSD that might make the most sense, also possibly a RAM upgrade.

RE videocard: don't know, I should check when I get home.
It definitely doesn't have an SSD though, that would probably be a cheaper upgrade I guess. I'll look into that, thanks!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

also, lol @ everything right now:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/18/intel-spectre-reboot-problem-affects-newer-cpu/

quote:

Intel has revealed that even its newer CPUs are affected by the frequent reboot problems brought about by the Spectre/Meltdown patches. The chipmaker previously said that the reboot issue affects systems running Broadwell and Haswell. Now that it has managed to reproduce the problem internally in an effort to fix it, the company found that a similar behavior can occur in platforms powered by Skylake and Kaby Lake, which are newer than Haswell and Broadwell. Ivy Bridge- and Sandy Bridge-based systems, both older cores, are also susceptible to the bug. Thankfully, Intel VP Navin Shenoy said that they're close to identifying the problem's root issue. "In parallel," he added, "we will be providing beta microcode to vendors for validation by next week."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

So that's why my work computer randomly restarted a few days ago! I thought I had accidentally moved a connection or something.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So that's why my work computer randomly restarted a few days ago! I thought I had accidentally moved a connection or something.

i honestly wouldn't run around blaming every random restart in isolated incidents on this

bc frankly thats lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, Microsoft store? Goddamnit, I thought it was an Android tablet.

Nope, it's a Windows 10 tablet. Full x86-64

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Statutory Ape posted:

I found my original order, I apparently bought my laptop in 2013.
It has a Radeon HD 8730M graphics card. There are also 2 RAM slots, but there's only 4 gig in each one. So I could double my RAM.
And I've been looking around, it looks really easy to swap my disc drive for a caddy with an SSD in it. So I might go that route...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

shut up blegum posted:

I found my original order, I apparently bought my laptop in 2013.
It has a Radeon HD 8730M graphics card. There are also 2 RAM slots, but there's only 4 gig in each one. So I could double my RAM.
And I've been looking around, it looks really easy to swap my disc drive for a caddy with an SSD in it. So I might go that route...

I wouldn't buy ram for that computer but I would buy an SSD. The SSD you buy can be popped into any other computer you have for the foreseeable future but I would imagine that computer is using DDR3 RAM, which makes it pretty much useless other than upgrading an old computer.

And looking @ that video card its not worth dumping much into that computer as far as I read the situation. But to reiterate, at least anything you spend on an SSD can directly be moved into whatever other computer you end up with eventually. Also for the games you're playing i really doubt 8 vs 16 ram would matter

Worf fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 18, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Same, and the only thing I can imagine myself doing on it is running a GBC emulator and playing Pokemon Blue.

Have I got one for you then:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-GPD...eywords=GPD+Win

GPD Win

Quad Core Intel Atom (2.6 Ghz Turbo)
4GB LV DDR3
64GB SSD
5.5 Inch Touchscreen @ 1280 x 720
Analogue Sticks and D Pad as well as a full thumb keyboard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_Win

People have modded Skyrim and Fallout 4 to run pretty smooth on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNiWwza_I_I

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 18, 2018

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Damnit, now I'm gonna be paranoid about getting an intel lemon instead of waiting for a 13" ryzen mobile.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Have I got one for you then:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-GPD...eywords=GPD+Win

GPD Win

Quad Core Intel Atom (2.6 Ghz Turbo)
4GB LV DDR3
64GB SSD
5.5 Inch Touchscreen @ 1280 x 720
Analogue Sticks and D Pad as well as a full thumb keyboard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_Win

People have modded Skyrim and Fallout 4 to run pretty smooth on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNiWwza_I_I
There's also a newer one coming out soon with a m-7y30 that is way more powerful, overkill for GBA but just perfect for Dolphin or even Doom 2016 if you must. https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/15/16892268/gpd-win-2-announcement-specs-price-release-date

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

There's also a newer one coming out soon with a m-7y30 that is way more powerful, overkill for GBA but just perfect for Dolphin or even Doom 2016 if you must. https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/15/16892268/gpd-win-2-announcement-specs-price-release-date

Y'know, its funny, I loved UMPCs as a teenager, I still do, but I remember when they basically said UMPC was dead, because nobody wanted one.

Well, its back apparently.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
lol t480 is only launching with 1080p why do they keep doing thsi

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Lenovo makes computers for fleet deployments, not so much actual users. Displays are expensive and brad from accounting doesn't really give a poo poo that he's buying new laptops with display panels from a 2007 warehouse clearance sale. They just have to have low TCO and work with their old docks.

End-users really shouldn't be buying brand new thinkpads. Part of what makes them great is that you can get them for nothing in three years when the warranty runs out and every corporation scraps their whole inventory for new models.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
1080p on a 14” panel is just fine, especially given that most corporate customers are running at least some apps which don’t scale well.

The previous 1366x768 displays on the other hand were inexcusable - even setting resolution aside they were simply bad quality panels.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I know that the X1C is more their end-user model, the MBP equivalent, but it seems weird that they position the "base model" as some low end fleet computer when the insane battery capacity has no equivalent for the individual consumer. Like the product has a very highly desirable trait and they don't really market it. Their higher-res displays aren't even battery hogs so much anymore!

edit: also apple has been putting like 5000x6000 displays on everything from watches on up for a decade now!!!!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

This isn’t aimed at the same market as Apple - no one is expecting to run their accounting package for 1997 on a MacBook Pro but it’ll end up on plenty of Thinkpads.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

1080p on a 14” panel is just fine, especially given that most corporate customers are running at least some apps which don’t scale well.

The previous 1366x768 displays on the other hand were inexcusable - even setting resolution aside they were simply bad quality panels.

This. 1080 is perfectly reasonable on a small screen. Its way more than enough.

All the 780p and worse screens need to die.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dissss posted:

They had 1600x900 for a while, which is a great PPI on a 14" screen. However, the screen they had on the T series was a pile of poo poo. The X1 Carbon had a very nice 1600x900 panel and I don't know why they wouldn't just use that one.

I have a Dell 14" laptop and the screen is nice but 1080p makes things a bit small. If I didn't have to use a handful of legacy apps that don't scale I wouldn't care at all, but I can live with it. And I use an external monitor at work anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

They had 1600x900 for a while, which is a great PPI on a 14" screen. However, the screen they had on the T series was a pile of poo poo.

Yeah I had that one on my T430s - it was garbage even in 2012 and because everything else has improved so much it looks even worse now.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

This isn’t aimed at the same market as Apple - no one is expecting to run their accounting package for 1997 on a MacBook Pro but it’ll end up on plenty of Thinkpads.

People say this a lot but in this era of overnight startups devouring entire industries, is there actually a legacy enterprise market left?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I just dropped my surface pro 3 that I've had since 2014.

I used it as an electronic clipboard to write on pdf's while doing house inspections. The rest of the time it's just a business laptop. Do I just go replace it with a new surface pro or should I look at something else?

Edit: Hah to below idea. :) What about dell xps 2 in 1? Valid competitor to surface pro line? I don't think I'd go to the surface laptop or book as I already have a working keyboard and pen for the pro line.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 19, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That $70 tablet PC linked on the previous page doesn't have pen support does it?

If it did I'd say just buy ten of those instead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CopperHound posted:

That $70 tablet PC linked on the previous page doesn't have pen support does it?

If it did I'd say just buy ten of those instead.

It does not have pen support, unfortunately.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

What I think I really want is the Yoga Book, but with the Core-M, digitizer in the screen and a real, if thin/low travel keyboard instead of the gimmick. Maybe it'd work for you though, the form factor is pretty mind blowing:

I have this, AMA. :allears:

shut up blegum posted:

This is a pretty good choice for price/performance.

Fortunately, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary on my 3770 and 4790 desktops.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CommieGIR posted:

It does not have pen support, unfortunately.

Could you expand on that a little? My current laptop doesn't have any sort of "pen support" as far as I know but the little touch stylus's write fine on it. I didn't realize there was something magical about fingers that made them perfect for multitouch response.

Edit; I'll report back in the next few days on how well you can write on the $70 one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

M_Gargantua posted:

Could you expand on that a little? My current laptop doesn't have any sort of "pen support" as far as I know but the little touch stylus's write fine on it. I didn't realize there was something magical about fingers that made them perfect for multitouch response.

Edit; I'll report back in the next few days on how well you can write on the $70 one.

Using one of those styluses that is supposed to mimic your finger is to proper pen support like playing a FPS game with a guitar hero controller instead of a good mouse/keyboard.

And this isn't one of those theoretically better things...it's just not even in the same league.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Does anyone know if the new Dell XPS 13 developer edition comes in the new white + rose gold color? I can't see the option on the website.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The upcoming XPS 13 is a clear step backwards though...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Seamonster posted:

The upcoming XPS 13 is a clear step backwards though...

Not if u like white and rose gold

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Thermopyle posted:

Using one of those styluses that is supposed to mimic your finger is to proper pen support like playing a FPS game with a guitar hero controller instead of a good mouse/keyboard.
Is the chromebook plus a "proper pen support" thing?
I can't tell because I don't know how technology has changed. When I got a Nexus 7 years ago it came with a stylus that was like a big loving sponge on a stick, it had less precision than my actual fingers. The chromebook plus has a pen that more closely resembles the pen from a Nintendo DS, that's pretty pleasant to use, but I don't know if there's something better still on screens (I've used a wacom pen on a [the other kind of] tablet, which has an additional pressure sense, but I don't know if screens support that kind of thing.)

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Hey you surface book users. Microsoft store will replace my broken surface pro 3 i5 256gb 8gb ram, with a comparable surface pro 4 for $599. 90 day warranty. I can not buy the extended warranty for it.

So I started looking on the Microsoft site and I can get a MS refurbished surface book i7 512gb 16gb ram for $1499. I can also buy an extended warranty for it. EDIT: Just noticed it's the original surface book so the 6th gen i7. I guess that explains the price.

Should I just use this cracked screen as an excuse to upgrade? Is the surface book that much of an upgrade? I guess it's a tax write off either way. I was hoping to build a desktop computer this year, but that is getting put on hold.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

:aaaaa:

Well now there is money I don't have to spend but that I really, *really* want to spend.

The Diablo 3 performance on the Win 2 is kind of blowing me away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM25qy44kek&t=201s

Fantasizing about playing KOTOR or Shadowrun on the train, I'm so hot right now.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 19, 2018