Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Dell outlet is definitely one of the best places to purchase laptops period

Awesome thanks. They have last year’s XPS 13 (the one that still has USB Type-A) with 8th gen processors for under $1000 plus there’s some coupon codes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I'm starting to look for a new laptop to replace my aging Y50.
One of the laptops with a 1060 recommended on the last pages would probably be good, but since I've been doing most of my gaming on consoles lately, I might want something lighter instead.
I want some level of graphical capability because I play around with Unity and do other programming work in my spare time.
How does the performance of something like a Yoga 720 compare?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Honest Thief posted:

Yeah pretty much, I should have checked the new models before posting, I had this wrong idea that the screens were a regular 1080p.
soz

You can get them with 1080p screens if you want. It's not a bad idea for the 13.3 inch version, the pixel density is still pretty good, it's matte and you gain around an hour and a half of battery life. No touchscreen though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think 1080p is fine for a 13” screen tbh. I just wish they offered more than 8GB/256GB on the 1080p version, you have to go up to the QHD version to get more.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You can get them with 1080p screens if you want. It's not a bad idea for the 13.3 inch version, the pixel density is still pretty good, it's matte and you gain around an hour and a half of battery life. No touchscreen though.

conversely the qhd+ looks amazing as gently caress on that model

which i keep reminding myself since i had no choice but to get it because i wanted the RAM upgrade

but seriously its amazing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm thinking about a refurbed XPS 13 as a tertiary computer and I'm having a hard time deciding between 7th and 8th gen and i3, i5, and i7 versions.

How is Dell Outlet about returns? If I buy a few options and return a couple is that going to cause me problems?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aren't the 8th gens quad cores? No question I would spend a little extra to get those.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Aren't the 8th gens quad cores? No question I would spend a little extra to get those.

Yeah they’re all quad. The base speed is lower but the turbo speed is higher than 7th gen I believe

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
last-in-generation models are always the best since they've had a bunch of hardware revisions to work the kinks out

the 8th gen xps 13 model that's currently available is the one to buy. contrary to the opinions in this thread I think the new one is gonna be really great but i would wait a year for a refresh. Dell always has bugs on the first revision, the 9343 was a bit of a mess when it came out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

conversely the qhd+ looks amazing as gently caress on that model

Yeah I actually have a second hand qhd display for it but it glitched out after a week. It was real pretty for a week, but I went back to the 1080 and I don't actually miss it that much.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

scissorman posted:

I'm starting to look for a new laptop to replace my aging Y50.
One of the laptops with a 1060 recommended on the last pages would probably be good, but since I've been doing most of my gaming on consoles lately, I might want something lighter instead.
I want some level of graphical capability because I play around with Unity and do other programming work in my spare time.
How does the performance of something like a Yoga 720 compare?

I'm devving my Unity game on an iGPU, so the 720 should be fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes, but everywhere I read it's not a huge subjective difference...particularly for a pc that's going to be used as little as this.

Anyway, even if I decide the quad is necessary, the question isn't which one to get but will dell outlet give me grief if I try a couple and return them before I get what I want.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, but everywhere I read it's not a huge subjective difference...particularly for a pc that's going to be used as little as this.

Anyway, even if I decide the quad is necessary, the question isn't which one to get but will dell outlet give me grief if I try a couple and return them before I get what I want.

p sure the battery life difference is substantive

same with performance from what i've read? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/kaby-lake-refresh-8th-gen-vs-7th-gen

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
i wish the xps13 had trackpoint :sigh:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

p sure the battery life difference is substantive

same with performance from what i've read? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/kaby-lake-refresh-8th-gen-vs-7th-gen

Yeah, I've seen benchmarks, but a few places where I've read people talking about the actual experience of using them it hasn't seemed like a mind blowing difference.

For example, the wirecutter says:

quote:

n our tests, the late-2017 Dell XPS 13’s eighth-generation processor made it slightly faster in regular use than the seventh-generation model, but the late-2016 Dell XPS 13 is a great choice while it’s still available. For $100 less, the late-2016 XPS 13 gave us around 20 minutes more battery life than the late-2017 version, and everyday performance wasn’t significantly different, although we did notice a little less lag during heavy multitasking on the eighth-generation model.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

i wish the xps13 had trackpoint :sigh:

The 5th gen x1 carbon is a real competitor, but it'll be a while before I can find a used one in my price range. On the other hand, I paid less than $400 for a 9350 with a 1080p panel, 8gb/256gb and a skylake i5.

Of course, that was one of those crazy miscategorized ebay deals, but you can easily find 9350s or 9343s around $600, and they're excellent little computers. I miss the trackpoint too but the touchpad is close enough to apple quality that I don't miss it that much.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

it took me awhile to realize that you guys were referring to the nipple

E: this also sums up my sex life

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
i'm a trackpoint truther and an x-fan since the x120e days

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I ended up picking up a Surface Book 2 today. It is really nice and pretty perfect but I can still take it back for 30 days. It cost as much as two laptops basically. The only glaring negative to me so far is the charging cable is kind of short. The screen is probably the best thing. Photoshop works great, PUBG works pretty well. The pen works pretty well although I think I still prefer Wacom. The Microsoft store return policy and warranty policy seems crazy good. It actually made me think about getting a Razer just because if anything happens they take care of it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Edit: This HP has "only" a 1050, but for $670 it's the best price/performance gaming laptop I've ever seen.

Thermopyle posted:

I'm thinking about a refurbed XPS 13 as a tertiary computer and I'm having a hard time deciding between 7th and 8th gen and i3, i5, and i7 versions.

How is Dell Outlet about returns? If I buy a few options and return a couple is that going to cause me problems?

I can't help you with regards to the returns as I'm not familiar with Dell's return policy, nor have I heard of someone buying a bunch of nearly-identical laptops to try them out and then return all but one. :stare: If I was a retailer I'd be pretty annoyed with that, though. Also, all the versions you're looking at are going to be nearly identical anyway, so this really shouldn't be necessary.

As far as the CPUs go, all of the Intel ULV parts through Kaby Lake have been 2C4T, so an i5 is basically just a faster i3, and an i7 a faster i5. Kaby Lake-R (and Coffee Lake) CPUs start with 4 cores and potentially offer a more significant performance boost depending on what you're doing (i.e. depending on if you're either multitasking and the applications need physical cores, or if your single applications is heavily multithreaded.) It's not so much a decision of "i3-7100U vs. i5-7200U vs. i7-7500U vs. i5-8250U, etc.," but rather, what is this system going to be doing? If it's really just going to be a backup, then it'd probably make sense to go with the cheapest option. Otherwise I'd get the newer CPU (double the cores/threads can't really hurt) unless there's enough of a price incentive to get an older model.

If you're looking at an XPS 13 I'm going to go out on a limb and say you'll probably be quite happy with whatever one you get.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 22, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

i'm a trackpoint truther and an x-fan since the x120e days

Preach on brother

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
So, where would someone find replacement keys for a T420? I'm not sure how, but my kid took my left arrow key and by the time I retrieved it from her it was pretty bent up. Google lead me to a few different websites for this, but thought I'd ask here before proceeding.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vital Signs posted:

So, where would someone find replacement keys for a T420? I'm not sure how, but my kid took my left arrow key and by the time I retrieved it from her it was pretty bent up. Google lead me to a few different websites for this, but thought I'd ask here before proceeding.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Keyboard-45N2036-B-12/523421266

$16 free shipping

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
But I just need one key? Is it not possible to replace one key for some reason?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vital Signs posted:

But I just need one key? Is it not possible to replace one key for some reason?

Sure...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T40...7QAAOxyuGFRzwGI

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
This is great, not only because of the price, but they also have a neat guide to determine what version you need. Thank you!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just ordered a refurb XPS 13 with an i7-8550u and 8GB/256GB from the Dell Outlet :thumbsup: I went for the 1080p screen

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Excellent. Enjoy your amazing battery life.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Excellent. Enjoy your amazing battery life.

I will! I have to travel (usually day trips but sometimes overnight) for work sometimes so I figured portability and battery life would be good things to have

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Pablo Gigante posted:

Just ordered a refurb XPS 13 with an i7-8550u and 8GB/256GB from the Dell Outlet :thumbsup: I went for the 1080p screen

I might do this it's just way too dang affordable and I don't think the x270 has thunderbolt (or does it??) which is kind of a deal breaker for me at this point

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm considering getting a new laptop for gaming and programming, and I'm looking at two different MSI Leopard Pros:
code:
MSI GP62MVR 7RFX 818NE Leopard Pro
Core i5 7300HQ, 
Windows 10 Home, 
8 GB RAM, 
256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, 
15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 
GF GTX 1060
code:
MSI GP62MVR 7RFX 819NE Leopard Pro
Core i7 7700HQ, 
Windows 10 Home, 
8 GB RAM, 
256 GB SSD NVMe + 1 TB HDD, 
15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 
GF GTX 1060
The first one is around 1,200€ and the second one is around 1,660€. Is the 40% price difference worth it for the i7 and NVMe?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I might do this it's just way too dang affordable and I don't think the x270 has thunderbolt (or does it??) which is kind of a deal breaker for me at this point

I don't think it does. The Dell Outlet has some coupon codes right now ($50 off $499+, $100 off $999+, etc.) too if that sweetens the deal

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Pablo Gigante posted:

I don't think it does. The Dell Outlet has some coupon codes right now ($50 off $499+, $100 off $999+, etc.) too if that sweetens the deal

Yeah if it was this time next year I feel like I'd be getting an x280 but well my x250 didn't wait that long to get jacked :smith:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks like the x280 has two Thunderbolt ports but still starts with a 1366x768 display :eyepop:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I know you all dog on the 768p screen, but the business use case for it is real. Not that the $50 upgrade for 1080p isn't significantly better, but like... I mean, if you're a business and you need to buy 10 computers for your lackeys AND a nice dinner for your tinder date, I mean.... gently caress them for 3 years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This is what a TN Lenovo laptop screen looks like

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also I accidentally ordered an XPS 13 with Windows 10 Pro instead of Home so that's cool I guess

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pablo Gigante posted:

Also I accidentally ordered an XPS 13 with Windows 10 Pro instead of Home so that's cool I guess

i keep accidentally buying windows 10 pro licenses on ebay for $10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

You sure thats not an Alienware? Kinda looks like a gamer panel to me. I know these things because I, too, am an actual gamer who needs fidelity.