Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
On the advice of this thread, I got the Dell Inspiron 15-7000-Series-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---6GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p. It has a 128g SSD and a 1Tb hard drive.

What is the best way to upgrade this? A 512 SSD and leave the platter, or replace the platter only? Replace both?

Any advice on actually doing the replacement? I have never swapped laptop components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Depends on if you need the extra 1tb or not.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Do not “need.” So is the advice then to replace the HD with a 512 SSD?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think the idea with the big HDD is that you can have hella games installed without worrying about space. Or even just several games with the huge assets they use now. If you can live with a smaller data drive it'll at least be quieter, or you might want to expand your main drive. It depends on you really, and what you're going to do with it

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

baka kaba posted:

I think the idea with the big HDD is that you can have hella games installed without worrying about space. Or even just several games with the huge assets they use now. If you can live with a smaller data drive it'll at least be quieter, or you might want to expand your main drive. It depends on you really, and what you're going to do with it

but installing games on a spinng-platter hard disk will murder your load times.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

All my steam poo poo (and cellphone camera/video backups) lives on an external USB-C "black Friday sale" 1tb SSD right now. It was like $200 out the door. Not ideal but I haven't had the time to swap out my old SSD and when I bought it, was expecting the X280 to be out in 30-45 days.

Steam games on an external SSD is very performant and easy to setup in a supported manner by steam.

Edit: also yeah don't use rotational magnetic drives for anything but cold storage, it's slow as gently caress and ain't nobody got time for that.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Where tf is the x280 anyway

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Edit: also yeah don't use rotational magnetic drives for anything but cold storage, it's slow as gently caress and ain't nobody got time for that.

It's tempting to do so when SSD prices are still way higher than platter drives but I do agree with you. I have a 250GB SSD for OS/games and a 1TB platter HD for movies/roms/etc. on my desktop and the difference in speed is really noticable. On my laptop I just have a 512GB SSD and everything is fast. Always go with SSD if you can

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Turds in magma posted:

Not wicked-cheap but it's an amazing laptop.

I bought an XPS 13 about a year and a half ago based on this threads recommendations and it's the best laptop bar-none. You can't go back to lovely displays after the QHD+, the battery life is amazing even with the i7 and the QHD, the speakers are surprisingly decent, the thing is frigging small but the no-bezel display gives a large viewing area, and I can actually type on this keyboard with my monster hands. I travel a couple times per month and writing grants/papers on this is a breeze.

Statutory Ape posted:

Better than i paid for mine from dell a few months back

Good to know, thank you both!

I've seen multiple people say that it makes the Macbook Air look "bulky," so I'm pretty excited for it!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Where tf is the x280 anyway

You're going to want to wait anyway. The prices are out of control on Thinkpads for like the first month.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I'm not getting a new laptop period I just wanted to know. I have narrowed down my choices to an xps 13 or a 2015 mbp if I decide I reaaaaaally want garageband

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

X280 is available in Australia and probably a couple other markets.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hadlock posted:

X280 is available in Australia and probably a couple other markets.

Hope the prices drop soon, jesus gently caress

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Careful Drums posted:

Yeah but that's why it's in there, is what I mean. Seems pretty common for gaming laptops

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Careful Drums posted:

This isn't entirely true, and in fact if your OS is running on an SSD, its been shown that just doing that can help improve game load times even if they are on the HDD and not the SSD, and some games benefit more than others.

Obviously games on an SSD will have better load times overall, but it doesn't mean its going to be murder.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ive been playing a good amount of call of duty ww2 lately and its on my firecuda not my SSD and i still load before preeeety much every person i play with

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

ive been playing a good amount of call of duty ww2 lately and its on my firecuda not my SSD and i still load before preeeety much every person i play with

Isn’t that what Firecudas are designed for? Like they cache files on a small SSD?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Isn’t that what Firecudas are designed for? Like they cache files on a small SSD?

yeah idk what the context was here honestly but firecudas are pretty cheap and an easy install and (relatively) high capacity so it shuold be an easy fix? paid less than $100 for 2tb for my laptop

i ended up throwing a 3.5 2tb into my desktop too for games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

yeah idk what the context was here honestly but firecudas are pretty cheap and an easy install and (relatively) high capacity so it shuold be an easy fix? paid less than $100 for 2tb for my laptop

i ended up throwing a 3.5 2tb into my desktop too for games

I’ve been thinking about picking up a Firecuda for my desktop since a 250GB SSD can only hold so many games and my 1TD HD is running out of space already. Sounds like a deece purchase

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I just run a couple of 3tb drives in raid 0 because I like to live large and live dangerously

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Atomizer posted:

Yes, a Chromebook would suffice for that purpose (and more) at that price range, and I have specific recommendations in the 2nd post in that thread. There's a handful of cheap CBs on Woot at the moment, (the HP 13 at $300 is the best option, and I don't recommend the HP 14 there because of the CPU, but the others are probably just passable with the N30x0 CPUs,) and I often recommend something like the Acer R11 if you want something small & portable that's also a convertible and has Android App support. Otherwise, the Acer CB 14 is my "cheap & nice," medium-sized recommendation.

If you do take a look at some models and are interested in one, post the link in the aforementioned CB thread if you want us to take a look and point out any downsides (there are some models with insufficient RAM or lower-res displays that might not immediately be obvious.)

Thanks a lot for this (and everyone else who responded). I got an Acer R11 refurbished and it's great.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Hope the prices drop soon, jesus gently caress

The Australian dollar is worth something like $0.70, plus everything there costs 25% more because captive market. I think well equipped they go for about $999 out the door in the US.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

in the market for a laptop. max price: ~2k. going to be used for heavy computational work with really heavy data sets (in the 0.1 TB range). using a thinkpad now and i like them. os will only be ubuntu. are mechanical keyboards on laptops a thing?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Lpzie posted:

in the market for a laptop. max price: ~2k. going to be used for heavy computational work with really heavy data sets (in the 0.1 TB range). using a thinkpad now and i like them. os will only be ubuntu. are mechanical keyboards on laptops a thing?

The quad core ThinkPad refreshes are being launched now if you can wait a few weeks. Maybe the t480?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For $2k you're looking at a P series with a xenon processor

Why not just farm it out to EC2 tho

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lpzie posted:

AFAIK only MSI is doing mechanical keyboard laptops and they're pretty hideous :pcgaming:
https://www.msi.com/blog/Introducing-GT75VR-the-First-17Gaming-Laptop-with-Rapid-Mechanical-Keyboard

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lpzie posted:

are mechanical keyboards on laptops a thing?
I believe it was Cherry that just announced a low-profile mechanical switch aimed at the "desktop replacement" type laptop market, if this really matters to you it might be worth waiting to see what comes from that. Otherwise there's that one beast MSI makes with full out MX Reds but holy gently caress that is not a laptop, that's an all-in-one desktop with a built in UPS.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Those chinese macbook air clones keep getting better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOo9weCkOo

If I were looking for a beater laptop I'd be pretty happy about this, and I'd definitely consider one over a chromebook in the $250 price range. I can't wait to see what these look like with the new Gemini Lake Celeron Atom Pentium Silver chips.

B. Beebea
May 7, 2007
a tuxedo cat
My old pc died, and I’m trying to decide if I should replace it with another pc or a laptop.
I mainly need it for browsing, Microsoft office, watching video and maybe photo editing. I don’t really have room for a huge tower anymore, and it looks like mid range small and mini PCs are similar in price to mid range laptops (I could be wrong). It would be nice to be able to move it around the house I guess.
I’ve never owned a laptop, so I don’t really know what my screen/battery needs are (my old monitor still works). My budget is around $600 - $700.
I was thinking about that acer aspire e 15 with i3 or i5, would that make sense for me?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

B. Beebea posted:

My old pc died, and I’m trying to decide if I should replace it with another pc or a laptop.
I mainly need it for browsing, Microsoft office, watching video and maybe photo editing. I don’t really have room for a huge tower anymore, and it looks like mid range small and mini PCs are similar in price to mid range laptops (I could be wrong). It would be nice to be able to move it around the house I guess.
I’ve never owned a laptop, so I don’t really know what my screen/battery needs are (my old monitor still works). My budget is around $600 - $700.
I was thinking about that acer aspire e 15 with i3 or i5, would that make sense for me?

That price range puts you into refurb 9350 territory i think

Maybe even 9360

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Can get an i7 9360 for $800 after rebate if you can push that

https://slickdeals.net/f/11272491-d...?src=SiteSearch

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If you can swing that you should- its p much the best general laptop

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Does anyone own an x230, and if so, have you done the fhd mod?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I looked in to the mod, for the price you can just buy an hd x240 and swap in the x250 trackpad. I think the break even point in the x230 mod was about three years ago

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I looked in to the mod, for the price you can just buy an hd x240 and swap in the x250 trackpad. I think the break even point in the x230 mod was about three years ago

Yeah. I ordered an IPS x230 on ebay today because I needed something now, so I was just curious. This will hold me over until the t480 drops to a reasonable price, figure I can just resell this as they appear to hold their value pretty well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Insane. The Thinkpad t480 is $2,000 right now at the cheapest.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Google Butt posted:

Yeah. I ordered an IPS x230 on ebay today because I needed something now, so I was just curious. This will hold me over until the t480 drops to a reasonable price, figure I can just resell this as they appear to hold their value pretty well.

Yeah the x230 is still completely fine for day to day use, though I would think doing the FHD mod is really a waste of time and money. The keyboard is also a bit better than my x270.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Insane. The Thinkpad t480 is $2,000 right now at the cheapest.

gently caress that for sure, I just want base specs with the best screen. Hoping they bump the corp discount back up when the CTO option opens up.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hadlock posted:

The Australian dollar is worth something like $0.70, plus everything there costs 25% more because captive market. I think well equipped they go for about $999 out the door in the US.

AUD is 0.79 right now.

I was just looking at laptop prices now out of curiosity as I haven't had a personal laptop since a decrepit decade-old T400 (I had work laptops and didn't need my own). Prices look equally mad on the Australian and US sites:

ThinkPad X380 Yoga Part Number: 20LH0003AU Web Price: $2,199.00
ThinkPad X380 Yoga Part Number: 20LH0005AU Web Price: $2,799.00

ThinkPad X380 Yoga - Black Part Number: 20LH000LUS Web Price: $1,549.00 (1961 AUD)
ThinkPad X380 Yoga - Black Part Number: 20LH000MUS Web Price: $2,239.00 (2832 AUD)

Mind you the US specs are slightly better so none of the models are exactly comparable but the AU prices include 10% GST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Please don't buy new thinkpads. The price you're seeing now isn't really meant for you to buy a personal computer, it's there because companies are buying fleets of them for deployment and lenovo can fleece them with impunity by inflating the msrp at launch. The price exists so Bob the Accountant can point to a line item in the quarterly meeting and proudly show how much money he saved by negotiating a bulk deal. The whole thing is a silly dance of bureaucracy, and if you buy a brand new thinkpad from lenovo less than 3 months from launch, you're loving yourself over for no reason at all.