Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

the company i ordered my intel wireless chip from (to replace the one in my xps13) said itd be delivered sometime late february, which i was 'meh' on considering i ordered it white awhile ago

now they're saying up to march 13th lol

fml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Any experience with the Dell Powerbank thingy: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-hybrid-adapter-power-bank-ph45w17-ba-45w-ac-adapter-notebook-power-bank-43wh/apd/451-bcbd/pc-accessories

Seems like a decent option to carry around on the go in a backpack, emergency extra battery and all that. Can't tell what -AA, -BA, -CA differences are, just revision?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
-BA appears to be a 45W charger + battery, with a coax power connector.

-CA appears to be a 45W charger + battery, USB-C connector only.

I did not see an -AA, your link dumped me straight to the top page of Dell's store.

edit: gently caress Dell's website, it thought I was a Canadian, for some loving reason.

I can't tell the difference between -AA and -CA.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 24, 2018

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Finally getting a new laptop for my mother to replace her ailing eight-year-old Asus. Anyone got a particular favorite in the realm of large, relatively speedy facebook/taxes machines?

Criteria:
-CPU probably doesn't matter much, I think anything in the modern i5 line should do fine.
-GPU doesn't matter at all; she'll probably never need more than integrated graphics.
-must have an SSD, whether by default or purchased OEM
-at least half a TB of internal storage would be nice; using an external drive is a possibility but not ideal.
-must have at least two USB ports, more is better.
-keyboard must have backlighting and a numpad.
-15.6" seems about ideal for display size; smaller screens aren't great for older people, but I've explained the downsides of a 17-inch and she agrees.
-IPS isn't necessary but I think it would be nice; she wears bifocals, so strict viewing angles could be an annoyance.
-weight/portability/battery life aren't really issues; this is primarily a home machine intended for easy storage and used on a desk or table as often as on a lap.
-budget isn't much of a concern, but keeping it under $1k USD would be best.

The $730 option on this Dell Inspiron, the one with a 128gb SSD boot drive and a terabyte platter for storage, seems ideal for her needs. An i7 is probably overkill, but the price is still acceptable. My only misgiving is that since it doesn't specify, I assume it's a TN display.

In the realm of IPS, this Dell gaming model is about the cheapest I've been able to find that still fits the bill. Is it worth the extra ~$250 for IPS? I dunno.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Acer Swift 3, 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U, 15.6" Full HD, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Home, SF315-51-518S https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746NQYFF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_e9IKAbHRV3TDQ isnt bad if you want a new machine

I feel like this may be good territory for a refurb lenovo except their screens can be poopy

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cathair posted:

Finally getting a new laptop for my mother to replace her ailing eight-year-old Asus. Anyone got a particular favorite in the realm of large, relatively speedy facebook/taxes machines?

Criteria:
-CPU probably doesn't matter much, I think anything in the modern i5 line should do fine.
-GPU doesn't matter at all; she'll probably never need more than integrated graphics.
-must have an SSD, whether by default or purchased OEM
-at least half a TB of internal storage would be nice; using an external drive is a possibility but not ideal.
-must have at least two USB ports, more is better.
-keyboard must have backlighting and a numpad.
-15.6" seems about ideal for display size; smaller screens aren't great for older people, but I've explained the downsides of a 17-inch and she agrees.
-IPS isn't necessary but I think it would be nice; she wears bifocals, so strict viewing angles could be an annoyance.
-weight/portability/battery life aren't really issues; this is primarily a home machine intended for easy storage and used on a desk or table as often as on a lap.
-budget isn't much of a concern, but keeping it under $1k USD would be best.

The $730 option on this Dell Inspiron, the one with a 128gb SSD boot drive and a terabyte platter for storage, seems ideal for her needs. An i7 is probably overkill, but the price is still acceptable. My only misgiving is that since it doesn't specify, I assume it's a TN display.

In the realm of IPS, this Dell gaming model is about the cheapest I've been able to find that still fits the bill. Is it worth the extra ~$250 for IPS? I dunno.

Get this, add an m.2 SATA SSD and 4 GB of RAM.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I work with all mac people, and am p much the lone PC - I'm looking for an attractive laptop for on-site meetings/work that isn't a macbook and doesn't scream EXTREME GAMER for <$1500.

Criteria:
* lightweight & stylish look
* usage: coding, light-weight photoshop, video on a second portable screen, maybe firing up wow or civ every so often.
* 13 or 15"

I started looking at Zenbook Pro because they're pretty to look at, and I was thinking of getting one of those ZenScreens as a second monitor - but the amount of bad reviews regarding coil noise and heating probs on the Pro doesn't sound fun at all. I have a nice desktop system but the urge to "get the best parts" on this laptop is kind of giving me paralysis after poring through this thread and reddit laptop stuff.

Anyhow - is Zenbook Pro hot garbage? Is something like an XPS 13 a way better choice? I kind of have Dell laptop PTSD after an office revolt where everyone hated their nice latitudes and insisted on switching to Macbook Airs a few years ago.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Campbell posted:

I work with all mac people, and am p much the lone PC - I'm looking for an attractive laptop for on-site meetings/work that isn't a macbook and doesn't scream EXTREME GAMER for <$1500.

HP Envy x360 15?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
an FHD XPS 15?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

WQHD ThinkPad carbon?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I need a very portable (probably "Ultraportable", whatever that means) laptop for word processing and general internet usage.

It has to run Microsoft Word so it can't be a Chromebook.

Battery life over 8 hours is a plus.

Any chance I can get that sub-$600?

I was looking at this option: https://www.amazon.com/ZenBook-UX36...5536fbc428204d1

Quoting myself from around 6 months ago.

Never ended up buying anything so I was wondering if anything new has popped up.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I think your best bet would be to look for a previous gen XPS 13 (dual core) with the FHD panel. Those will easily have 8 hours of battery. Unfortunately I don't think your budget will get you into the current gen quad core models but at least the battery life is there. It would also get you away from the Core M things

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Seamonster posted:

I think your best bet would be to look for a previous gen XPS 13 (dual core) with the FHD panel. Those will easily have 8 hours of battery. Unfortunately I don't think your budget will get you into the current gen quad core models but at least the battery life is there. It would also get you away from the Core M things

Quad Core word processing is a pipe dream.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My SO is in the market for a personal machine to do light tasks, but she despises my Acer C720 (screen + keyboard too small, bad touchpad, too slow) so needs something slightly heftier and bigger. It doesn't need to run Photoshop or survive atmospheric re-entry but it shouldn't fall apart quickly. She doesn't understand or appreciate the GAMER LIFE.

After skimming/searching this thread and doing some price shopping it's between an Acer 14 FHD and a Thinkpad T430 or T440.

Thoughts? Where's a good place to pick up T430/T440s? I see a bunch of cheap i5/i7 models on Newegg but that seems too good to be true.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
T430s is five years old and not available with a reasonable screen - I used one for years but could not recommend it now.

T440 gen had a crap trackpad and most still had awful screens.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Marx Headroom posted:

Thoughts? Where's a good place to pick up T430/T440s? I see a bunch of cheap i5/i7 models on Newegg but that seems too good to be true.

What's your budget, and why those models specifically?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Budget is around 350, max 400. Ergonomics (screen size, keyboard) and speed (my Acer C720's i3 doesn't handle a trillion browser tabs gracefully) most important. She has a brand new MacBook Pro for work, so this machine is just for doing things IT/HR/keyloggers might frown upon.

The Acer 14 appears to have a great screen for the price, the T430/T440 has a similar price point but more power and a sterling reputation. The nub would also be nice since wrestling with my C720 trackpad makes her want to throw it against nearest wall.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So this?

E: minus a ram upgrade but still doing ssd

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 26, 2018

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hesitated on that woot laptop. I want more connectivity. The T470 looks really great (the keyboard is awesome, tried it at microcenter) and at a very comfortable price point used on eBay. I saw the T480 is coming out in a few weeks. The 4k screen sounds great but I'd rather not pay for it, I'm fine with 1080p for now. Do y'all think the price of a used T470 will come down when the 480s come out?

I'm going to be "homeless" for a few months so I need something durable with a lot of connectivity ports.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Quoting myself from around 6 months ago.

Never ended up buying anything so I was wondering if anything new has popped up.

Apollo Lake, the newest iteration of Atom, is fairly respectable for basic productivity work. Battery life should be great since this is a 6W model and the price is hard to beat.

e: This one costs a lot more but still well under $600, is convertible and has a 1080p screen with the quad-core variant of Apollo Lake which will be closer to a typical laptop CPU in performance.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 26, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Careful Drums posted:

Do y'all think the price of a used T470 will come down when the 480s come out?

Yes, though if you don't want to wait, the t460 is nearly the same computer, you're only missing out on thunderbolt 3 and somewhat better 4k / hevc codec acceleration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you're only missing out on thunderbolt 3

Is that even possible

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes, though if you don't want to wait, the t460 is nearly the same computer, you're only missing out on thunderbolt 3 and somewhat better 4k / hevc codec acceleration.

thanks for that recommendation, you're totally right. gonna start scraping ebay for a good T460 or T470.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Huawei's new Matebook X Pro (shown at MWC) will have a 3000x2000 14" screen, 8th gen u proc, and optional MX150 AND TB3 for external GPU havers, AND USB-C charging.

Huh.

It's actually a pretty sweet looking ultrabook, but I sort of wished they had kept the 13" screen size from the previous iteration.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So the Spectre x360 continues to satisfy. I wanted to ask those of you who have TB3 laptops and use docks or dongles--what have you found to be the best solution for you? There's such a proliferation of options out there and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want/need.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

So this?

E: minus a ram upgrade but still doing ssd

Yup, this is still my general-purpose budget recommendation. Decent display & build quality, full, backlit keyboard with numpad, good performance.

While you definitely need to add an SSD, you don't absolutely need to upgrade the RAM, but it's recommended, at the very least to enable dual-channel. It's real easy to upgrade too: the single bottom panel reveals the RAM slots, m.2 slot, and 2.5" bay.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Depending on its age, the heatsink compound may have dried out as well. Over time, as it dries, it loses its heat conductivity and the laptop will overheat more often.

I'm going to call bullshit on this unless you can scientifically prove that thermal paste degrades over time after it has cured. I've been reading about thermal paste since the Celeron 300a and I've never heard someone spout this bullshit before, as if thermal paste is water-based and dries up like an old kitchen sponge.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Seamonster posted:

I’m looking at a refurbished XPS 13 with these specs for about $420 from a reputable seller. Does this look like a good deal?

quote:

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Dual-Core i5-3437U (1.9GHz) Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz 3MB Cache
Screen Size: 13.3" Full HD LED-backlit 1920 x 1080
Graphics: Intel HD 4000
Memory: 4GB DDR3 (8GB max)
Storage: 128GB mSATA SSD
Optical Drive: N/A
LAN: N/A
Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth: 4.0+HS
Card Reader: N/A
Battery: 6-Cell 47 WHr Lithium-Ion (built-in)
Speakers: Built-in
Webcam: 1.3MP
Microphone: Integrated
Keyboard: Backlit Full-Size
Pointing Device: Integrated Button Glass Touchpad
I/O Ports:
Mini DisplayPort: 1
USB 3.0: 2
Combo Headphone/Mic Jack: 1
Operating System:
Genuine Windows 8 (64-bit)
Power:
45W AC Adapter
6-Cell 47WHr Lithium-Ion Battery
Dimensions:
12.5"(W) x 0.71"(H) x 8"(D)
Weight:
2.99 lbs

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I’m looking at a refurbished XPS 13 with these specs for about $420 from a reputable seller. Does this look like a good deal?

I'm not sure if that's a notable deal just on the hardware specs alone. An Ivy Bridge system is pretty old at this point, and is that battery easily user-replaceable? Otherwise you're dealing with a several-year-old battery and a less efficient CPU generation on top of that. Also, you'd probably want to upgrade the RAM and SSD immediately, so it's not like you're even getting a deal on those components.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

absolutely fuuuuuck no

don't buy an xps 13 that's older than the 9343 redesign, and no computer with those specs is worth anything close to $420.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hadlock posted:

I'm going to call bullshit on this unless you can scientifically prove that thermal paste degrades over time after it has cured. I've been reading about thermal paste since the Celeron 300a and I've never heard someone spout this bullshit before, as if thermal paste is water-based and dries up like an old kitchen sponge.

Idk I've had to re apply thermal paste to a computer before to get it to stop overheating. But then I was the original person to do the application so I might have done it wrong the first time.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

So the Spectre x360 continues to satisfy. I wanted to ask those of you who have TB3 laptops and use docks or dongles--what have you found to be the best solution for you? There's such a proliferation of options out there and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want/need.

This wasn't really on my radar before. Best Buy sells the 13", 4K, i7-8550U, 16GB / 512GB version for $1350. Seems like a pretty good deal! That's $50 cheaper than the XPS 13 I saw in Costco yesterday with similar specs, but that laptop's not a 2-in-1 with a pen.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It really kicks rear end, I have to say. I got the 1080p version because battery life is more important to me than visual fidelity, but the 4k screen is pretty great as well if that's what you want. The pen it comes with is okay but I'll probably get the tilt pen if I find myself doing more art and handwriting--having a usb-C charger is really sweet.

Still trying to figure out what dongle/hub I should get, though with 2 TB3 ports I guess I don't need one with power delivery (plus the battery life is enough for a full work day anyway).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

:shrug: I don't have any, but I've solved multiple overheating issues with refreshing thermal paste, and removed old paste that came off incredibly dry and brittle compared to how it was originally put on.

Also: That's a lot of outrage for something so simple.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: I don't have any, but I've solved multiple overheating issues with refreshing thermal paste, and removed old paste that came off incredibly dry and brittle compared to how it was originally put on.

Also: That's a lot of outrage for something so simple.

I can't say that I know it's efficacy had lessened, but I too have removed lots of paste that was dried out and looked like this:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Those are speed cracks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

I can't say that I know it's efficacy had lessened, but I too have removed lots of paste that was dried out and looked like this:

Better airflow.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

You guys maintaining your poise and humour in response to that post is *inspiring*.

Real content though: how good is the MX150? I always hear comparisons to the 940m, but like, that's not favorable to be in comparison to the 940. I saw Dave2D tout a laptop with one as a gaming laptop, so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a bigger battery pack which would fit in this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152941 laptop?

I can easily remove the other pack. The battery life on this thing is terrible, which I expected. Trying to prolong its life through the next nvidia card upgrade.