Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Never said it was better, he just said a 15 was too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

G-Prime posted:

Never said it was better, he just said a 15 was too big.

My point is that the 13 isnt smaller.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shnicker posted:

I'm also in the market for a new laptop. I got my x250 3.5 years ago but I'm not as satisfied with the build quality as I was with the x120e I had before it. The keyboard layout feels more cramped and the screen isn't good (not to mention that it feels like the sides are separating from the actual screen. Recently it seems to have developed a very slight bulge too.

Your laptop isn't happy to see you, the battery has chemically failed, you should dispose of it immediately, and store it in the shower until you do so to minimize the fire hazards.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z9190ruyIM

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Your laptop isn't happy to see you, the battery has chemically failed, you should dispose of it immediately, and store it in the shower until you do so to minimize the fire hazards.

Yeah, I've been using the Surface Pro that work gave me in the meantime. Now I think I want a laptop that might not exist. I've never had a touchscreen on a laptop before, much less one with that and a pen, and I think I really like it. But I also like the nipple mouse and the fact that I can upgrade the internals of my x250.

Is there a laptop that would have all of this? It would be my main machine. I like the Surface Pro alright but I can't really use it on my lap and the balance feels a little strange to me. Like I said, I'm not a big gamer at all, but I'd like to use Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Shnicker posted:

Yeah, I've been using the Surface Pro that work gave me in the meantime. Now I think I want a laptop that might not exist. I've never had a touchscreen on a laptop before, much less one with that and a pen, and I think I really like it. But I also like the nipple mouse and the fact that I can upgrade the internals of my x250.

Is there a laptop that would have all of this? It would be my main machine. I like the Surface Pro alright but I can't really use it on my lap and the balance feels a little strange to me. Like I said, I'm not a big gamer at all, but I'd like to use Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes laptops with clit mice besides Lenovo. Your options are pretty limited there.

I believe the Microsoft Surface line is generally considered to have the best pen input, other laptops with pen support are generally fine for simple stuff like handwriting notes but have subtle problems for more precision demanding stuff like artwork. Do some careful review research in this area if you need it for professional production purposes.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

isndl posted:

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes laptops with clit mice besides Lenovo. Your options are pretty limited there.
Some Dell laptops have them, but it is just the boring businesses models.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i love boring business models of things :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a thinkpad and stopped using the clit. The trackpad gestures are pretty useful now and with the windows drivers it's not complete rear end.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

stopped using the clit, complete rear end

whatever floats your boat :shrug:

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

Shnicker posted:

It sounds like you're looking for the Thinkpad Yoga L380. Technically the lowest model of Thinkpad, it's weirdly better in some respects, like having non-soldered RAM and having a better keyboard (thought it doesn't have lift-n-lock if that's what you're into). They start at $662 with the Barnes and noble deal. I've had one in my cart for like three weeks now; let me know how you end up liking it.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I'm planning a gaming build, but I want a complement laptop. I'm on the budget side of things for the laptop (300$) and all it needs to do is basic web functions and stream video (Netflix/Hulu) when traveling. I know pretty much anything will do, but I'd like to future proof myself as best as possible so I'm leaning Chromebook I think. What should I be looking for and should I wait for black Friday sales at this point?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shnicker posted:

There has been at least one pen Thinkpad yoga touchscreen, the last time I saw one in person was 2016, but they probably still exist.

If you want to go retro there is the x230t, I forget if they made a x240t

X380 might have a pen

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Re: Thinkpad Nub

I came from an X230 which meant I was dependent on the nub, and when I got my T460p a couple years ago the drivers for it were super bogus. W/ a "recent" update they fixed the trackpad, and they're better and I find myself using it a lot, but that nub is still getting love. I wonder if Lenovo cares to keep it around, tho? It seems like a legacy thing that a few of us like, but it doesn't seem to be getting as much love as the trackpad, and that seems like that might be a problem?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't imagine the nub costs more than a buck fifty over what a non-nub keyboard costs.

Given that bicycles have started including strain gauges to measure rider power output I can only assume that costs have fallen further in the last few years.

Also yeah it's a big part of brand differentiation, Thinkpad as a brand is nearly triple the age of "MacBook" brand. I think in computing only something like the HP pavilion might be older. (Fake edit, I checked, it's not, Thinkpad predates it by three years)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

I'm planning a gaming build, but I want a complement laptop. I'm on the budget side of things for the laptop (300$) and all it needs to do is basic web functions and stream video (Netflix/Hulu) when traveling. I know pretty much anything will do, but I'd like to future proof myself as best as possible so I'm leaning Chromebook I think. What should I be looking for and should I wait for black Friday sales at this point?

I have a Chromebook Megathread here, but in general I recommend almost any model with 4+ GB of RAM and a quad-core (or thread) CPU. Just beware of large displays with low resolutions (think 14"+ and only HD/WXGA resolution.) Other than that, you can definitely find a good CB in your price range and they can absolutely do everything you asked (and more.) And yes, they're mostly future-proof; they receive regular updates (with about 5 years of official support IIRC) and don't slow down over time, plus newer models get added functionality like Android app and now Linux app support.

At this point I guess it's close enough to BF where if you're not in a hurry you could certainly wait to see what shows up; I have a feeling though it's just going to be even lower prices of the low-end models (particularly ones that I'd avoid, that don't match the minimum specs recommended above) or reasonably deep discounts on the high-end models like the Pixelbook (which is nice but more than you're looking to spend.)

anothergod posted:

Re: Thinkpad Nub

I came from an X230 which meant I was dependent on the nub, and when I got my T460p a couple years ago the drivers for it were super bogus. W/ a "recent" update they fixed the trackpad, and they're better and I find myself using it a lot, but that nub is still getting love. I wonder if Lenovo cares to keep it around, tho? It seems like a legacy thing that a few of us like, but it doesn't seem to be getting as much love as the trackpad, and that seems like that might be a problem?

It's called the Trackpoint, dude! :psyduck:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Atomizer posted:

It's called the Trackpoint, dude! :psyduck:

It's called the clit or the nipple because we're all still a little bit childish, get out of here with your branding.

mystes
May 31, 2006

G-Prime posted:

It's called the clit or the nipple because we're all still a little bit childish, get out of here with your branding.
"Eraser head" is also acceptable in polite company.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

mystes posted:

Especially if you're a Lynch fan.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Hadlock posted:

I can't imagine the nub costs more than a buck fifty over what a non-nub keyboard costs.

Yeah it prob doesn't cost much in terms of $$. I was thinking their investment in the design of the nub is low. Has it changed at all in the past 15 years? Trackpoints just seem to be content with what they are, and that's kind of ridiculous compared to how much further trackpads have come.

That I use the trackpad at all means that the trackpoint has a lot of holes in its list of functionality :(

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Using touchpad gestures to scroll p much automatically means I'd never use the nip

imho the trackpoint or eraser or nipple or whatever is a vestigial piece of hardware to please olds :shrug:

mind you i had a thinkpad in the mid 90s but sometimes ya gotta get with the times

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I bought the fanciest XPS 13 a few weeks ago since Best Buy had it marked down to 1699 and it's probably the nicest laptop I've ever owned. I am running linux on the machine because I am back in school for software development and am trying to broaden my knowledge base a bit. I have a desktop pc which a 1440p monitor that I run windows on and play video games and stuff with. I am considering buying a 4k monitor and some sort of dock for the XPS 13 so I can use either computer at my desk. However, I am concerned about keeping two sets of mice and keyboards in a limited space. I've seen there are things that allow you to switch your keyboard and mouse between two systems and am curious if something like that might work if used in conjunction with a USB C dock for my laptop? Would there be any drawbacks with a setup like that?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Trackpoint was redesigned sometime around 2010, which included auto calibration firmware so that they don't drift over time

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Statutory Ape posted:

Using touchpad gestures to scroll p much automatically means I'd never use the nip
The nip also has scrolling capability these days, there's a button between the mouse buttons that's like scroll-wheel-mode. (You can't scrollwheel and move at the same time like you might with a mouse, but that's true of the trackpad gesture too.)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I bought the fanciest XPS 13 a few weeks ago since Best Buy had it marked down to 1699 and it's probably the nicest laptop I've ever owned. I am running linux on the machine because I am back in school for software development and am trying to broaden my knowledge base a bit. I have a desktop pc which a 1440p monitor that I run windows on and play video games and stuff with. I am considering buying a 4k monitor and some sort of dock for the XPS 13 so I can use either computer at my desk. However, I am concerned about keeping two sets of mice and keyboards in a limited space. I've seen there are things that allow you to switch your keyboard and mouse between two systems and am curious if something like that might work if used in conjunction with a USB C dock for my laptop? Would there be any drawbacks with a setup like that?
I *think* some monitors can act as a kvm themselves now.

E: also this might get you some of the functionality you are looking for without the hardware:
http://www.aka.ms/mm

E2: oh right, I don't know about Linux support.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 21, 2018

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

You might look at https://symless.com/synergy instead, as it can do it through software, so long as you're not trying to play games on the machine they're not physically connected to. Otherwise, a USB KVM (or even just USB switch) will do the trick nicely. Used one for years, swapping between Linux and Windows.

As far as a dock goes, it's expensive as poo poo, but you might look at Dell's TB12 or TB16 docks. They work like a champ under Linux.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I don't know the full details since I haven't had to use it but Logitech also has some software for seamless device switching in addition to multiple device profiles on some of their hardware.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Yeah nerds call it that because that's the closest they'll ever get to the real thing :drat::iceburn::vince:

:smugdog:

mystes posted:

WHOA WHOA WHOA, that's OUR WORD for OUR PEOPLE!!!

Statutory Ape posted:

I too like the Trackpoint but you've hit on the real reason for its obsolescence, modern gestures.

Hadlock posted:

Trackpoint was redesigned sometime around 2010, which included auto calibration firmware so that they don't drift over time

Yup, if you see the cursor drift a few pixels (after lifting off it IIRC) that's when it's calibrating! :eng101:

isndl posted:

I don't know the full details since I haven't had to use it but Logitech also has some software for seamless device switching in addition to multiple device profiles on some of their hardware.

I'm pretty sure that's their "Options" software. I have a couple devices that support it but I've never bothered to try it! :shrug:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I already have a laptop for my gaming needs, but I wanted something I could carry to places, but could still do programming on. Some gaming here and there maybe. Definitely a descent nVidia graphics card in case I actually finally do some CUDA stuff.

I was looking at a Lenovo P52, but I wanted to see if you guys had a better recommendation. I'm okay spending a lot to have something that's fairly future-proofed.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Usually if someone already has a gaming laptop they want an ultrabook to go along with it but that P52 looks just like a gaming laptop in a business chassis. What exactly are you looking for that your gaming laptop can't accomplish?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah the P52 is huge.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Atomizer posted:

I too like the Trackpoint but you've hit on the real reason for its obsolescence, modern gestures.
You can already scroll with nipple+middle button though so...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mobby_6kl posted:

It works much smoother and faster with the gesture.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

G-Prime posted:

You might look at https://symless.com/synergy instead, as it can do it through software, so long as you're not trying to play games on the machine they're not physically connected to. Otherwise, a USB KVM (or even just USB switch) will do the trick nicely. Used one for years, swapping between Linux and Windows.

As far as a dock goes, it's expensive as poo poo, but you might look at Dell's TB12 or TB16 docks. They work like a champ under Linux.

Sorry for the delay in response. I appreciate the feedback from everyone and have been looking into the TB16. They have supposedly new in box versions on eBay for 120 while it's listed as 300 on Dell's site. I haven't purchased anything on eBay since the early 2000s but I think there is a decent amount of buyer protection now right?

isndl
May 2, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Sounds like the laptop has too many erogenous zones for me to manage. :ohdear:

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Sorry for the delay in response. I appreciate the feedback from everyone and have been looking into the TB16. They have supposedly new in box versions on eBay for 120 while it's listed as 300 on Dell's site. I haven't purchased anything on eBay since the early 2000s but I think there is a decent amount of buyer protection now right?

eBay has always been pretty buyer-focused on their support, that hasn't changed. With the TB16 though you may need to do some research to make sure it's the newest revision, if I remember right they added some cooling vents on the exterior along with whatever they did on the internals.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Right, but I also use gestures for navigation, task switching, tab switching, etc. (Mostly on a CB.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

I already have a laptop for my gaming needs, but I wanted something I could carry to places, but could still do programming on. Some gaming here and there maybe. Definitely a descent nVidia graphics card in case I actually finally do some CUDA stuff.

I was looking at a Lenovo P52, but I wanted to see if you guys had a better recommendation. I'm okay spending a lot to have something that's fairly future-proofed.

I would look at the X1 extreme, it's about half the size of the P52 but still has a 1050 or 1060 in it

The P52 is likely larger than your existing gaming laptop, I don't see the benefits of having two laptops of equal power, except that the P52 is likely more durable than your gaming laptop by a wide margin.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hadlock posted:

I would look at the X1 extreme, it's about half the size of the P52 but still has a 1050 or 1060 in it

In that the P52 starts with a P1000 and the upgrades to a P2000/3000 are...not cheap...the X1E's 1050Ti in the default configuration makes it a notably better gaming option off the bat, though the inability to stick anything higher than a 1080p screen into the X1E without picking one of their absurdly expensive pre-built options is disappointing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

CFox posted:

Usually if someone already has a gaming laptop they want an ultrabook to go along with it but that P52 looks just like a gaming laptop in a business chassis. What exactly are you looking for that your gaming laptop can't accomplish?

Hadlock posted:

The P52 is likely larger than your existing gaming laptop, I don't see the benefits of having two laptops of equal power, except that the P52 is likely more durable than your gaming laptop by a wide margin.

My current laptop is one of these:
Exceptionally heavy and maybe not the most durable.

I want something I can bring to work and back every day without a lot of hassle. It seems lighter and smaller than my current laptop.
Like it might even fit in a regular backpack!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah the P52 is huge.

I could be wrong though...

There was one critical detail I had forgotten to look into that I stumbled upon this morning: apparently the P52 has the fan on the left side. This is a strong no-go.

The X1 extreme looks pretty good though.

I'm going to wait for Cyber Monday either way though. Seems like Lenovo does deals for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Atomizer posted:

Right, but I also use gestures for navigation, task switching, tab switching, etc. (Mostly on a CB.)
That seems really weird to me, doesn't that just make your trackpad prone to accidentally doing things you didn't intend? You can do all those things with a keyboard, which is already right there on a chromebook.

I get using gestures on a tablet, because there's no coherent reliable input device there, but why would you choose to use weird poo poo on a trackpad when there's a good alternative inches away?