Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, nothing against touchscreens but the shaving mirrors suck a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I just never really had a reason to use the touchscreen and find the motion to use them in normal laptop mode really annoying, and don't like tablet mode. Though I also don't like tablets at all, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

Blade Runner posted:

Now I simply wait the ten years it takes the Thinkpad to ship (I forgot how awful shipping was on these things, god drat)

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it could be this bad... I knew there would be some kind of delay because I ordered a custom laptop on "Cyber Monday" but the shipping was pushed back from 8 days to 14 days and now it's late January! Sigh.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Belbos Computer posted:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it could be this bad... I knew there would be some kind of delay because I ordered a custom laptop on "Cyber Monday" but the shipping was pushed back from 8 days to 14 days and now it's late January! Sigh.

It's not even Black Friday, it's just Lenovo being garbage at shipping these things.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I don't use the touchscreen frequently but when I do it's making things a hell of a lot easier, mostly when I need to enter unusual text and can switch to handwriting it.

The glare on my screen has been pretty minimal so far so I've no complaints there, and a glass screen is a lot easier to clean than a matte one. Even when I'm not actively using the touchscreen it's collecting some dust and grease from the keyboard area when closed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

isndl posted:

I don't use the touchscreen frequently but when I do it's making things a hell of a lot easier, mostly when I need to enter unusual text and can switch to handwriting it.
If you're talking about Chinese characters it's sort of silly because there's no technical reason you shouldn't be able to do this with the touchpad but I guess nobody has bothered figuring this out.

Actually I guess there's this for windows (but I don't know if it still works): https://sourceforge.net/projects/touchpad-hw/

And this for linux: https://github.com/Saren-Arterius/google-chinese-handwriting-ime

isndl
May 2, 2012

mystes posted:

If you're talking about Chinese characters it's sort of silly because there's no technical reason you shouldn't be able to do this with the touchpad but I guess nobody has bothered figuring this out.

Actually I guess there's this for windows (but I don't know if it still works): https://sourceforge.net/projects/touchpad-hw/

And this for linux: https://github.com/Saren-Arterius/google-chinese-handwriting-ime

Chinese is one example but yeah, in theory the touchpad can handle it. On-screen keyboard has two big advantages though: you have your input lines visible (important when you're not familiar enough to be blind writing, basically transcribing from a reference), and when there's the inevitable gently caress-up the recognition suggestions are right there to fix it.

Sometimes you have the odd diagram or whatever you want to draw too if you're one of those dedicated note-taking types. Thinking back to my SP3, on rare occasions you might have your Bluetooth driver stack hang and the touchscreen is nice for quickly restarting it (I use the setting to disable the touchpad while a mouse is connected).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Touchscreen laptop is definitely a user preference. It does make day to day stuff like Google maps zoom easier, but going without is still a snap, it's not like losing the trackpad or keyboard

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Blade Runner posted:

It's not even Black Friday, it's just Lenovo being garbage at shipping these things.

Yeah...I am getting tempted to just cancel my order and get something else. This is ridiculous.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Tsyni posted:

Yeah...I am getting tempted to just cancel my order and get something else. This is ridiculous.

The reason it's so hit or miss is because they don't actually advertise what they have in stock for custom builds. So, for example, I ordered on the Monday after Thanksgiving, it shipped on the Fourth, and I just got it today, which is basically as advertised and a pretty decent speed; but that's because they had everything I ordered immediately in stock. If you ordered a terabyte SSD or 16 gigabytes of RAM and they just don't have that to build, they won't tell you they don't have it on their site. They'll just sell you a product they can't actually build for you, then keep you waiting a month while they get the parts.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Walmart has an HP 15" 1050 Ti 4 GB laptop with the 8300H (4C8T) for $480, local pickup. Seems to be the regular (holiday) price and not a doorbuster/clearance/limited supply thing. Comes with an HDD but has a free m.2 SATA/NVMe slot, and 8 GB of DDR4 and one DIMM slot free. Comparable to the <$500 refurb'd Acer Nitro 5 that was in short supply during the last eBay 15% off everything sale.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Custom builds are gonna ship when they ship. Depends on when they next set up the production line to make your general model. Could be 18 hours, could be four weeks. It's literally a custom build, so it's not like it's sitting on a shelf waiting to go out same day.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I don't think anyone is complaining about having to wait a little longer for a custom configuration. The problem is that (the customer support side of) the company has no way to roughly guage how long it will take. As a customer we have no way of knowing the delay is because of production back log, or if just one part in our configuration is back ordered for six weeks.

Right now Lenovo has order support staff that are literally incapable of modifying an order for you. It would go a long way if they could look and say "your build is delayed because the factory is out of stock of teledildonics modules, if you would like we can remove that from your order and it should ship within two weeks."

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So I think I'm going to buy a surface laptop 2 really soon, and my question is more about deals than about the hardware itself. Any online outlets etc that don't charge sales tax or is that a thing of the distant past?

Otherwise I may as well just waltz into Best Buy and snag the $800 base model.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CopperHound posted:

I don't think anyone is complaining about having to wait a little longer for a custom configuration. The problem is that (the customer support side of) the company has no way to roughly guage how long it will take. As a customer we have no way of knowing the delay is because of production back log, or if just one part in our configuration is back ordered for six weeks.

Right now Lenovo has order support staff that are literally incapable of modifying an order for you. It would go a long way if they could look and say "your build is delayed because the factory is out of stock of teledildonics modules, if you would like we can remove that from your order and it should ship within two weeks."

It's possible they have a pretty clear picture of how long it'll take, but they have a clear financial incentive not to tell you its gonna be two months, because that's basically saying "gently caress off, go buy a Dell."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Clark Nova posted:

It's possible they have a pretty clear picture of how long it'll take, but they have a clear financial incentive not to tell you its gonna be two months, because that's basically saying "gently caress off, go buy a Dell."

We would just buy from CDW or whoever and have them add ram/SSD

Same price (usually cheaper) then upgrading on lenovos site but obviously you can’t upgrade cpu/cpu

Plus they have them in stock so we get them next day

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

We would just buy from CDW or whoever and have them add ram/SSD

Same price (usually cheaper) then upgrading on lenovos site but obviously you can’t upgrade cpu/cpu

Plus they have them in stock so we get them next day

Yeah, but they'd rather just gently caress you over for it because it's fiscally sensible for them to do so.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Atomizer posted:

Walmart has an HP 15" 1050 Ti 4 GB laptop with the 8300H (4C8T) for $480, local pickup. Seems to be the regular (holiday) price and not a doorbuster/clearance/limited supply thing. Comes with an HDD but has a free m.2 SATA/NVMe slot, and 8 GB of DDR4 and one DIMM slot free. Comparable to the <$500 refurb'd Acer Nitro 5 that was in short supply during the last eBay 15% off everything sale.

Thanks for sharing this, my family has been looking for options for a new laptop in the $500-600 range for my brother as a Christmas gift, this is perfect.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CopperHound posted:

It's definitely ridiculous if they're holding up the order for some specific but interchangeable part like RAM or an SSD that the customer should be able to substitute for if that'll speed up the build. Like, if the MX500s are backordered and you have an 860 Evo in stock or vice-versa, at least offer the customer the option.

KingSlime posted:

So I think I'm going to buy a surface laptop 2 really soon, and my question is more about deals than about the hardware itself. Any online outlets etc that don't charge sales tax or is that a thing of the distant past?

Otherwise I may as well just waltz into Best Buy and snag the $800 base model.

You are generally obligated to pay either sales or use tax, depending on where you live. Whether or not the retailer can/does collect sales tax is a separate issue, but you choosing to commit tax fraud because you don't want to report unpaid use tax isn't acceptable. That's not to say people haven't been doing it for many years (and that the laws should really be fixed, but that's another story,) but you need to be aware that your perception of the situation at least is incorrect.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I don't care about any of that homeslice, I should have reworded my question and saved you the trouble of typing that up.

To rephrase: I'm going for the base $800 surface laptop 2 model and want to get as good of a deal as I can possibly snag, any particular sites or offers I should be on the lookout for? Other than the standard keep an eye out on the Microsoft store/Amazon/Google Shopping approach. Maybe some sort of credit sign up bonus (my credit score is really good)?

Or is 800 (plus 8.25 percent sales tax, my law abiding amigos) about as good as it gets given that it's a fairly new release? I know I can get more bang for my buck with other devices, but man I love the way that thing looks + 12 hour battery life and that aspect ratio is choice for my needs. I'm fine with paying $870, I'm just out of the loop with general laptop deals (either in store or online).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ugh, I had a customized T580 in my lenovo cart yesterday for just under $1k. Today it's just over $1400! I guess I will see what it costs tomorrow before changing my plans.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I don't care about any of that homeslice, I should have reworded my question and saved you the trouble of typing that up.

To rephrase: I'm going for the base $800 surface laptop 2 model and want to get as good of a deal as I can possibly snag, any particular sites or offers I should be on the lookout for? Other than the standard keep an eye out on the Microsoft store/Amazon/Google Shopping approach. Maybe some sort of credit sign up bonus (my credit score is really good)?

Or is 800 (plus 8.25 percent sales tax, my law abiding amigos) about as good as it gets given that it's a fairly new release? I know I can get more bang for my buck with other devices, but man I love the way that thing looks + 12 hour battery life and that aspect ratio is choice for my needs. I'm fine with paying $870, I'm just out of the loop with general laptop deals (either in store or online).

Not an unexpected response. Anyways, to the best of my knowledge, Surface pricing/discounting is closer to that of Apple products, i.e., retailers are less likely to have unilateral sales and the prices are kept inflated, compared to other computing products where you'll often have sales, especially on retailer-exclusive variants (think BB, Walmart and their unique SKUs for say, HP or Acer laptops.)

I don't see many discounts on the Surface products, barring the occasional refurb or previous model on Woot.com. With that in mind the best deal is likely to come from some refurb or eBay (especially when they have 10-15% discounts like once a month) or even Amazon Warehouse Deals.

If we were talking about pretty much any other product aside from the MS Surface line, the story would be different. If you want a new Surface though, I'm not aware of any deep discounts. Your best bet would then be to take advantage of any "turn in an old laptop for credit" thing and/or buying discounted gift cards to lower your out-of-pocket cost.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Other than a generic holiday sale price the only discounts I know of for Surface devices would be their educational discount if you have a .edu email address. They might offer something similar for military or whatever, I don't pay attention to those since I don't qualify.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah fair enough, I figured I would ask before walking in and getting my mitts on that sexy, sexy weird faux fabric keyboard. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!

Now to decide if the 4 year extended warranty is worth it...

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Ah fair enough, I figured I would ask before walking in and getting my mitts on that sexy, sexy weird faux fabric keyboard. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!

Now to decide if the 4 year extended warranty is worth it...

Usually they aren't but in this case you should be aware that Surface devices are largely un-repairable....

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

In case anyone else was in my situation where I had a T580 in my cart one day, and then the next day the price jumped almost $400, the ~$370 off the T580 seems to be back in the configuration tool so I was able to order the laptop I wanted to order on Thursday.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Rexxed posted:

In case anyone else was in my situation where I had a T580 in my cart one day, and then the next day the price jumped almost $400, the ~$370 off the T580 seems to be back in the configuration tool so I was able to order the laptop I wanted to order on Thursday.

I was not in your situation but I did notice your post and felt bad for you. I'm glad it's fixed now !

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Had a play with an x1 extreme and new xps 15. The x1x feels way higher quality in person (I think an unreasonable amount of that might be the ugly font on the xps keyboard). Not sure about thermals in practice buy the x1x also had mote substantial looking vents

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Acer Aspire 5 for $470. MX150, 7200U, HDD, open m.2 slot, 15" FHD display, no backlit keyboard, 8 GB RAM (4 GB soldered, 1 slot occupied with 4 GB.)

It's straight-up inferior to that HP I just posted (8300H, 1050 Ti 4 GB) in terms of CPU, GPU, expandability, and other features, especially for being about the same size/weight, but if that's sold out near you, this is another fairly cheap option for a light gaming system (very cool and very legal.)

It can take a (1-slot, as above) RAM upgrade (for 20 GB max after swapping in a 16 GB module) and has both an m.2 slot and 2.5" bay, and although the RAM slot and 2.5" bay are easily accessible via their own service panels, the m.2 slot requires you to remove the whole bottom panel.

There's also a version with the 8550U and an SSD for $600. The CPU upgrade alone is probably worth it over the above model, and although the SSD is likely m.2 you may have to order the cable and bracket separately (~$30 total) to install a 2.5" drive.

Overall the more expensive model is probably not worth it considering what kind of GPU performance you can get for around that price, unless you want the substantial CPU performance and only need a modest GPU for occasional casual gaming in an otherwise no-frills package.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Some refurb'd HP gaming laptops. Most of them are 17" unfortunately, but if that's not a problem there are some decent deals here.

RX580 for $750. For an alternative to a 1060 that's not bad, and Freesync may work on either the internal display and/or an external one (whereas G-Sync generally isn't going to work on nVidia mobile parts.) Needs an SSD though.

1070 for $1050. Solid performance for the money. Or for $150 more, get a 120 Hz display and upgraded CPU.

1080 and 120 Hz display for $1.6k.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I took a chance and ordered the (Walmart-brand) Overpowered 15” gaming laptop for $799.

Apparently it’s a rebranded Tongfang GK5CN6Z, so it will hopefully not be as awful as their gaming desktops. The specs just seemed too good to pass up at its price range.

6 core i7 8750H
NVIDIA GTX 1060
Mechanical Keyboard with brown switches
144Hz 1080p IPS display (LGD05C0) - ~300 nits, 94% sRGB, 60% AdobeRGB
16gb RAM (I believe reviewers said they put a cheap single stick, but this can be upgraded)
256gb SSD (with a spare M.2 slot)
1TB HDD
14" x 9.5" x 0.75" dimensions
4.55lbs

It’s out of stock right now, but I’m planning to put the larger 4 cell battery into it and removing the HDD to increase the battery life a little bit. As well as getting better quality ram and SSD.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Picked this up too for $899, will have to get the price adjusted if I keep it.

Impressions after a few days:
  • Screen is really nice, 144hz is going to be the standard on every gaming laptop next year (I expect)
  • Individual keys have a good feel, but the keyboard is too cramped for me. And I hate the font.
  • The build is really nice. It is mostly aluminium and really compact. Sadly there is a horrible OP logo carved into the top panel, so you can't really remove that.
  • The fans are super loving loud when under any significant load. This is the biggest issue for me as I will use this around other people as a secondary computer. Not only are they loud, but they have a higher pitch which makes them even more pronounced. When I have headphones in I don't notice, but if there is anyone else around they definitely will.

If you don't care about fan noise this this is a crazy steal. I am waiting on a Y7000 so I can compare the two.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, that thing has nice specs for the price, especially that CPU + GPU combo. There isn't really anything you need to do to it (like add an SSD) out of the box. The 144 Hz display seems kind of unnecessary, because while the 1060 is strong enough for high details at FHD resolution, it won't approach 144 FPS unless you lower the details.

I've seen mixed reviews on the keyboard; some people say it's "mushy" but I'm wondering if that's just uninformed people who are expecting blue switches when they see "mechanical" and don't realize that the browns it has are supposed to be non-clicky.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Atomizer posted:

I've seen mixed reviews on the keyboard; some people say it's "mushy" but I'm wondering if that's just uninformed people who are expecting blue switches when they see "mechanical" and don't realize that the browns it has are supposed to be non-clicky.

There also certainly are legitimately bad mechanical keyboards, especially on laptops. I'd personally be leery of any 15" laptop that made the poor choice of slamming a numpad in there, because there's no way to do that without making the keys noticeably smaller than most people are used to. I also hate the offset having a numpad forces, but that's mostly a personal thing.

The other big criticism seems to be that the trackpad is hot trash, but if you're using it as a semi-mobile desktop replacement that'll be using a mouse 95% of the time, that may not matter.

I do wonder what sort of battery life it actually gets. Obviously not great, but are we talking 2 hours, or 4-5? :iiam:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So it appears they are legit Cherry Browns and not even a knockoff, but they must be a low-profile style that I didn't realize existed until now (I've seen knockoff LP mech switches though.) The response again ranges from "great" to "mushy" and it does sound like the latter is coming from people expecting blues (based on they way they describe the brown switches.)

The trackpad, also has received a wide range of reviews, and while the manufacturer response on the product page stated that they don't use MS Precision drivers, Dave Lee of Dave2D stated the opposite, so :shrug:

The battery life does appear to be closer to 2 hours (!!!!) although there is an upgraded battery if you don't mind removing the HDD cage.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, overall it seems like a pretty poor laptop in the traditional sense, but a pretty great deal for a semi-mobile desktop replacement. Which is perfectly fine, because that'll fit nicely into a lot of people's actual needs.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Truly can't fathom buying that laptop and then spending money on a bigger battery for it

Or why people talk about battery life at all in those machines

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Truly can't fathom buying that laptop and then spending money on a bigger battery for it

Or why people talk about battery life at all in those machines

In this case, you're right. But there are others that aren't that different that get pretty solid battery life, so it's worth the question at least. The XPS 15, for example, can be configured with a 1050Ti and 97wh battery that'll run for somewhere around 14 hours in light use. Admittedly, it's also $500 more expensive.

But, yeah, it's pretty clear here they did not optimize this for battery life, but just for raw specs at a super-low price. I agree that upgrading the battery to...what, 2hrs 30min? can't possibly be worth the time, money, or effort.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah for a gaming laptop, you're not going to get more than a couple hours of actual gaming on the battery, but it's not that unreasonable to expect maybe 5-7 hours of non-gaming life. This OP-2 or whatever it is only gets around 2.5 hours non-gaming, and that gets stretched to maybe 4 hours with the replacement battery, and neither of those numbers are really acceptable in TYOOL 2018. It's definitely worth the money for a portable, desktop-replacement gaming system though.

Also, I'll reiterate that that HP from Wal-mart with a 1050 Ti was around $500 total, compared to an XPS 15. The only real annoying thing about it is that, despite being upgradeable, the bottom panel is both screwed in and has clips all around; it's a little difficult to remove the panel but even more difficult to replace it, because the clips in the corners nearest the display hinge must get re-inserted first or they'll get trapped in the extracted position. Other than that, though, for the price, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
I stupidly want to ask what are these situations where you have a gaming laptop and need to run off battery instead of plugging in? I've owned gaming laptops for ten years and I cannot think of any scenario where I really needed to run off battery. Are you guys just taking them to lecture halls?