Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

XPS 13, all models, are getting Tiger Lake and thunderbolt 4 starting Weds. Also, the DE is no longer a fully separate model, you can buy a normal XPS 13 and install Linux on it later without affecting support.

https://arstechnica.com/?p=1710059

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TB4 support is gonna be great

I'm gonna let everybody else be the crash test dummy for at least one full quarter, before pulling the trigger on that one. From what I understand, TB4 and USB4 drivers didn't require an entire rewrite, but uh, at my age you just learn to let other people shake the bugs out for you, I guess.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

So I bought the XPS 15 and got it yesterday. The screen is amazing, but it's a bit heavy for what I'm used to, and the fan is pretty loud. I have 30 days, should I try to get a new XPS 13 with Tiger Lake instead? I want to do light gaming (Civ VI, CK 3, Fall Guys) and while the 15 will run them all, I'm debating the new Tiger Lakes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would. If you spend over a grand on something and don't love it then get rid of it. I think the weight would bother me for sure and tiger lake should handle casual to medium gaming well.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I would. If you spend over a grand on something and don't love it then get rid of it. I think the weight would bother me for sure and tiger lake should handle casual to medium gaming well.

Yeah, I'm torn, but I'm leaning yes. I got the 15 with an i7-10750H, 16 gigs of Ram, 512 Hard Drive, and the GeForce GTX 1650 Ti. I'd look at something comparable, minus the GPU, of course.

It doesn't help my feelings towards the 15 that when it arrived yesterday the trackpad didn't work at all and I had to spend like an hour with support, having them remote in to get drivers set. Like, that's something that should work out of the box.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 28, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the XPS13 with Tiger Lake will be plenty capable of running those games. Just be aware that it will likely run hot and loud doing them. That's the curse of a small chassis.

My current Ice Lake XPS 13 2:1 can run Doom 2016 at 1600x900 at 40-60 fps with high detail, but it does sound like a jet doing it.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Tiger Lake has that new Xe GPU built into it or whatever right? Which would be great for if you want to do something like 2d game dev and don't really need the power of a discreet card I'm assuming. It can do DirectX 12 too?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

Tiger Lake has that new Xe GPU built into it or whatever right? Which would be great for if you want to do something like 2d game dev and don't really need the power of a discreet card I'm assuming. It can do DirectX 12 too?

Yes that's probably going to be one of the bigger improvement IMO in terms of benefits to the average user similar to AMD Ryzen Vega refresh.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
How were the Prime Day laptop deals last year? Was looking for something along the lines of an XPS13 or X1 if those have any chance of being on sale

Guysmiley
Jan 29, 2004

clownshoes
Hey, so I just bought this used Latitude 6520 off of Craigslist, I got the sense that the guy is trustworthy but you never know. I've been using different OSes for a little while and I'm a bit out of the loop on Windows 10. It's got what looks like a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro.. I used the ShowKeyPlus utility to look at the installed key, and of course it's got an OEM Windows 7 license.

Now, in addition to that, I've got this Windows 10 Educational license from my college. My feeling is, well, I don't want to waste a perfectly good key because those shits are not cheap.

If you were me in this situation, would you:

1. Just do a simple Upgrade reinstall over the current state of the computer and keep using the Windows 7 OEM key at the risk of letting malware linger on the computer

2. Do a Custom reinstall over the same partition, letting the Windows installer copy the old install into a separate directory, then try to recover the key from that folder to activate Windows 10

3. Format and reinstall Windows 7 then upgrade to 10

4. ...just leave it alone on the assumption that some well off engineer dude in his 40s with a house in the suburbs is probably not trying to steal all your money???

Or is there something else I'm missing here? I feel like I might be overthinking this.

Thoughts?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Windows's built-in reset tool might be acceptable to some people, but I'm more paranoid than most. If you want peace of mind, Nuke and pave, then $5 in SA-Mart gets you a new key. With how fast a Windows 10 install takes, it's a small price to pay.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Adun posted:

How were the Prime Day laptop deals last year? Was looking for something along the lines of an XPS13 or X1 if those have any chance of being on sale

Lenovo and Dell are always doing some kind of sale

The XPS are always in demand so Dell has the pricing dialed in pretty tight, if it goes on sale it's going to be "on sale" which is within a few dollars of where it was priced during the last week's sale

Lenovo doesn't really know how to run an ecommerce site, you might see a better deal there, although they're pretty dialed in too

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Guysmiley posted:

If you have the Windows 7 key, you can just format and install Windows 10 with it, without any intermediary steps.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Guysmiley posted:

Hey, so I just bought this used Latitude 6520 off of Craigslist, I got the sense that the guy is trustworthy but you never know. I've been using different OSes for a little while and I'm a bit out of the loop on Windows 10. It's got what looks like a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro.. I used the ShowKeyPlus utility to look at the installed key, and of course it's got an OEM Windows 7 license.

Now, in addition to that, I've got this Windows 10 Educational license from my college. My feeling is, well, I don't want to waste a perfectly good key because those shits are not cheap.

If you were me in this situation, would you:

1. Just do a simple Upgrade reinstall over the current state of the computer and keep using the Windows 7 OEM key at the risk of letting malware linger on the computer

2. Do a Custom reinstall over the same partition, letting the Windows installer copy the old install into a separate directory, then try to recover the key from that folder to activate Windows 10

4. ...just leave it alone on the assumption that some well off engineer dude in his 40s with a house in the suburbs is probably not trying to steal all your money???

Or is there something else I'm missing here? I feel like I might be overthinking this.

Thoughts?

A windows 7 pro OEM key is perfectly valid for activating windows 10 pro, and there’s no way the key itself (a literal 25 character string) can be used to carry malware. Do a full format of the hard drive and reinstall of Windows 10 (you don’t need to do windows 7 first) since you should always do that when buying used, but feel absolutely free to burn the windows 7 key, rather than your education key.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 29, 2020

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Lenovo announced what seems to be a pretty interesting ultra-light Thinkpad, the Nano:
- 13" 16:10 display @ 2160×1350
- Small and light: 11.5×8.2×0.6 inches (293×208×14mm), 1.99 lbs (0.9 kg)
- Intel Core with Xe graphics
- Only 2 USB-C ports & 1 headphone jack (boo!)

Looks pretty good to me as an ultraportable device (finally a good screen), but a shame about the connectivity... At least one USB-A port, or a MicroSD slot would have been good. Of course, everything except the SSD is also soldered to the MB :v:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/lenovo-pushes-boundaries-with-two-tiger-lake-x1-designs-nano-and-fold/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

Lenovo announced what seems to be a pretty interesting ultra-light Thinkpad, the Nano:
- Small and light: 11.5×8.2×0.6 inches (293×208×14mm), 1.99 lbs (0.9 kg)
- Intel Core with Xe graphics
- Only 2 USB-C ports & 1 headphone jack (boo!)

Looks pretty good to me as an ultraportable device (finally a good screen), but a shame about the connectivity... At least one USB-A port, or a MicroSD slot would have been good. Of course, everything except the SSD is also soldered to the MB :v:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/lenovo-pushes-boundaries-with-two-tiger-lake-x1-designs-nano-and-fold/

Well not surprising since the even thinner "Apple" inspired design ideas means there's not enough chassis space on the side for older USB-A connectors.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

etalian posted:

Well not surprising since the even thinner "Apple" inspired design ideas means there's not enough chassis space on the side for older USB-A connectors.

I really like the idea behind switching to USB-C, but I wish there were better standards, or at least that a standard was adopted. There are too many different types of USB-C, and because of that normal USB-A is still needed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Of all the potential issues with USB-C, backwards compatibility with USB-A isn't really one of them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Adun posted:

Prime Day last year was garbage, only good deals on Amazon-branded devices and everything else on sale was a measly 5%-10% off normal prices.

Only good thing about Prime Day is that Best Buy and other retailers will have competing sales the same day.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Really happy to see more 16:10 and similar aspect ratio displays. That aspect ratio is so much better for actual productivity work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MichiganCubbie posted:

I really like the idea behind switching to USB-C, but I wish there were better standards, or at least that a standard was adopted. There are too many different types of USB-C, and because of that normal USB-A is still needed.

All of those "USB-C is bad" articles mostly exist because people keep clicking on them and they bring in a flurry of ad revenue every time they get written

USB4 is going to be in the consumer wild space in a couple of weeks and nothing about the connector changed

I've been using USB-C since it came out on the Nexus 5x in the fall of 2015. That's a couple days shy of five years ago

In 5 years, in 2015/2016 it was sometimes difficult to get power adapters to work with other devices, but mainly with weird generic brands. Since 2017 I don't think I've ever had any issues with USB-C at all

Literally every device in our house is either wireless charging (wife's iphone) or USB-C, with the sole exception of our fitbit charger cables, and my 2011 era B&N Nook e-reader, which just won't die and still works great

USB-C is not going away, it IS the standard. Apple is using USB-C on their pro line and their air line for their ipads now, expect that trend to continue

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 29, 2020

Guysmiley
Jan 29, 2004

clownshoes
hey, thanks folks! that was a lot slicker and less complicated than I remember. It didn't complain about the Windows 7 key... and somehow paving over it freed up at least 10gb. (???)

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Hadlock posted:

All of those "USB-C is bad" articles mostly exist because people keep clicking on them and they bring in a flurry of ad revenue every time they get written

USB4 is going to be in the consumer wild space in a couple of weeks and nothing about the connector changed

I've been using USB-C since it came out on the Nexus 5x in the fall of 2015. That's a couple days shy of five years ago

In 5 years, in 2015/2016 it was sometimes difficult to get power adapters to work with other devices, but mainly with weird generic brands. Since 2017 I don't think I've ever had any issues with USB-C at all

Literally every device in our house is either wireless charging (wife's iphone) or USB-C, with the sole exception of our fitbit charger cables, and my 2011 era B&N Nook e-reader, which just won't die and still works great

USB-C is not going away, it IS the standard. Apple is using USB-C on their pro line and their air line for their ipads now, expect that trend to continue

I hope that you're right, because there seem to still be a lot of consumer products that use Micro-USB. I want that to go away as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hadlock posted:

I've got one of these too, and I love it. I'm going to be hard-pressed on what to switch to if it does eventually die since I have a fair number of B&N e-books on my account that seem to be impossible to de-DRM. (Also, it was released with Eclair, which was already 2 years old at the time, :lol:)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hi everyone, looking for a quick recommendation to pass on to my mom. She's ran into some problems with her employer and needs a personal computer on short notice to put documents together. She's looking for a Windows based laptop that can do word, excel, and outlook, for "under $1000." She's not going to be doing anything too complicated with the laptop like gaming or anything, but I'd like to recommend her something that will run well and last her a while, and that she can put her iTunes and music on (but not a Mac). I don't know anything about the laptop market so any advice on what to get would be appreciated.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Tiger Lake XPS 13's are now up on the Dell store.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My first gen surface book is starting to seriously annoy me. I've been waiting for tiger lake to replace it, and after watching a lot of chassis videos decided I wanted an XPS 15 over the 13.
Pros former on the 15 are dual m.2 slots, replaceable memory, discrete GPU, and great sound quality. It's slightly wider than my book, but the size of the book has never bothered me. I very very rarely detach the screen, so a standard touch screen is fine.

But the 9519 refresh won't be out until springish, and the 9310 is out now. I'm not doing video editing or anything especially multi threaded, besides being a tabs whore in chrome. 4c should be plenty, but I want this to last and 8c/16(upgradeable to 32)GB will definitely last longer than 4c/soldiered-16GB.

What should I do?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Chikimiki posted:

jesus christ someone just put that display on an X series thinkpad so I can buy one.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

xgalaxy posted:

I returned my xps 15 and got one of these. I'll let you guys know how it is!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

jesus christ someone just put that display on an X series thinkpad so I can buy one.

It's been a while but I think that is called the X1 Nano, which would technically make it an X series

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

xgalaxy posted:

Is there any reason to get the 4K display on these? It seems to do a number on the battery life.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

evilweasel posted:

Is there any reason to get the 4K display on these? It seems to do a number on the battery life.

Better color accuracy and sharper image, how much that matters is subjective. :shrug:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

isndl posted:

Better color accuracy and sharper image, how much that matters is subjective. :shrug:

Yeah, I mean I would pay for that if it came without downsides, but I feel like I'm going to notice the lack of an extra four hours of battery life more than I notice the monitor could be better.

edit: fun (not fun) fact: the configuration options for the new XPSes is slightly different in the "business" and "personal" section. for example you can config a 2-in-1 xps 13 with the 1920x monitor and a 1tb hd in the business section, but not the personal section.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 2, 2020

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, I mean I would pay for that if it came without downsides, but I feel like I'm going to notice the lack of an extra four hours of battery life more than I notice the monitor could be better.

edit: fun (not fun) fact: the configuration options for the new XPSes is slightly different in the "business" and "personal" section. for example you can config a 2-in-1 xps 13 with the 1920x monitor and a 1tb hd in the business section, but not the personal section.

I got my 17 through the business end because it was a lot cheaper after discounts. Ezpz

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

4k on a 13" laptop screen is kind of excessive

1080p is just fine

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
14" 1440p 16:10 is my dream that will never happen

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Well sometimes the 4K panel has the best panel performance for things like contrast and color accuracy.

But yeah it does a number on battery life and also makes the laptop slightly heavier.

Note looks like the first wave of Tiger Lake CPUs reviews are out there and it's actually a meaningful performance bump especially
for integrated graphics:

Below review was from a test bench laptop designed to provide performance for 15W TDP up to 28W TDP:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-11th-gen-tiger-lake-superfin-10nm-benchmarks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The last I checked the both the HD and 4k panels of the XPS 13 had similar performance in all the other metrics to the point where it really wasn't worth thinking about the 4k panel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The last I checked the both the HD and 4k panels of the XPS 13 had similar performance in all the other metrics to the point where it really wasn't worth thinking about the 4k panel.

The other edge is HD panels is you have matte options while 4K panels tend to use the glossy type finish.

Tiger Lake does look like a improvement for people waiting to upgrade and also have thunderbolt support as a must have feature.

Note since Tiger lake i7 is a 4-Core physical design naturally the latest AMD Ryzen series still gets better CPU multi-core performance for applications like Hand Brake and Cinebench.

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'll take a matte 1200p panel over a glossy 4k panel any day.