Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is the (2021) Asus zephyrus 15 a 16:9 panel or 16:10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They are still 16:9. If you want a 16:10 gaming laptop this gen, Lenovo seems to be the ones doing it (outside of the Flow X13).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea I'm pretty excited by both models as well. Kind of silly they don't include a webcam still, but I could live with that if I had to.
I am totally OK with a lack of a webcam on my laptop. I have a desktop for videoconferences and my phone is more useful if there's a reason for me to want to video call someone from the road. Also IMO I'd rather a product be honest and just admit it doesn't have a feature rather than cramming a lovely one in an awkward place just to be able to tick the box.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea I'm pretty excited by both models as well. Kind of silly they don't include a webcam still, but I could live with that if I had to.

I'd be interested to see them in person to see if I'd prefer the 14/15.

G14 design with the latest AMD and Nvidia hardware looks really great especially keeping all the unique more professional design look.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
My buddy is looking to buy a refurbished 2015 macbook pro with at least 16gb of ram and an i7. Any vendors the thread suggests?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would seriously question buying a laptop with a glued-in battery that has been degrading for 6 years. The screens on the 2015 vs 2017 are notably more dim. I haven't double checked the M1 specs but I'm pretty sure a $999 2020 macbook air will blow the doors off a 6 year old i7 rmbp

Disclaimer: for the last two years I've been forced to use a piece of poo poo 2015 rmbp and loving hate everything about it, except the keyboard, which is average, and not crippled like the slightly newer macbooks

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reminder that the butterfly keyboards on Macs between 2016-2019 can get owned by a speck of dust. You really want either a 2015 or the new M1. Get the M1.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

I would seriously question buying a laptop with a glued-in battery that has been degrading for 6 years. The screens on the 2015 vs 2017 are notably more dim. I haven't double checked the M1 specs but I'm pretty sure a $999 2020 macbook air will blow the doors off a 6 year old i7 rmbp

Disclaimer: for the last two years I've been forced to use a piece of poo poo 2015 rmbp and loving hate everything about it, except the keyboard, which is average, and not crippled like the slightly newer macbooks

The 2015's are slow :(

I also would be hard pressed to pay over $500 for one, as a new battery is $199 from Apple

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Reminder that the butterfly keyboards on Macs between 2016-2019 can get owned by a speck of dust. You really want either a 2015 or the new M1. Get the M1.

The new M1 Macbook Air looks really drat good for someone who prefers MacOs since it includes all the design lessors learned over the last few years (like avoid butteryfly keyboards lol). The CPU thermals are also fairly low the Macbook Air model is able to get away with passive cooling.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

I actually really like the flex. Its what I got for my daughter and it's pretty solid for the price. I found I liked the tablet mode WAYY more than I thought I would.

I just got it (Ideapad Flex 5 14") delivered last night and I've been setting it up and using it this morning. While I may not be the pickiest user (by a long shot), I'm pretty impressed for $558 shipped to my door. This will do just fine for the time being.

It's not completely without issue, though. I'm pretty sure one of the USB ports is not functioning. However, I'd rather live with it than attempt to send it back and be without a laptop again, though. Also I'm not sure if a pen was supposed to come with it, but I didn't see one.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dreesemonkey posted:

I just got it (Ideapad Flex 5 14") delivered last night and I've been setting it up and using it this morning. While I may not be the pickiest user (by a long shot), I'm pretty impressed for $558 shipped to my door. This will do just fine for the time being.

It's not completely without issue, though. I'm pretty sure one of the USB ports is not functioning. However, I'd rather live with it than attempt to send it back and be without a laptop again, though. Also I'm not sure if a pen was supposed to come with it, but I didn't see one.

Pen thing is only a "special offer" type deal, it doesn't come in the box. So it depends on what the store front said.

Sucks about the USB though. For $500 I'd return it but up to you.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

Pen thing is only a "special offer" type deal, it doesn't come in the box. So it depends on what the store front said.

Sucks about the USB though. For $500 I'd return it but up to you.

It was direct from Lenovo, if it was a local purchase I'd probably take it back. I assume it would be a few of weeks shipping it back / waiting on a replacement otherwise.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The problem with the M1 Macbook air is that it costs 1.5-2x as much as a used 2015 lol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Head Bee Guy posted:

The problem with the M1 Macbook air is that it costs 1.5-2x as much as a used 2015 lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afkN9H9aLow

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Head Bee Guy posted:

That might be true, but li-ion and li-poly batteries have a finite lifespan, and begin degrading when they leave the factory. At six years old you are really pushing the limits of even the highest quality batteries

A brand new M1 is going to benefit from better battery technology, and 6 years additional life

The apple megathread confirms that the M1 slaps the i7 2015 with a wet fish all day long

For refurbished vendors, I dunno, go look on eBay and find some reseller with 1000 reviews and 99.95+ positive feedback that works great for Thinkpad buyers

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm glad I'm not buying a laptop right now because while I'm not the biggest fan of OSX or being locked to ARM, the base MBA seems way too good to pass up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In non-laptop related news, the original (and as of today only) M1 Mac Mini is $599 with military veteran discount

Apparently Apple is going to roll out new laptops soon, although not sure if these are Intel, M1/M2 or what

$999 M1 macbook air is a screaming, screaming deal right now if you're not responsible for writing production code in the next 3 months

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hadlock posted:

In non-laptop related news, the original (and as of today only) M1 Mac Mini is $599 with military veteran discount

Apparently Apple is going to roll out new laptops soon, although not sure if these are Intel, M1/M2 or what

$999 M1 macbook air is a screaming, screaming deal right now if you're not responsible for writing production code in the next 3 months

They still need to transition the 4-port 13" MBP (they make two versions, the lower tier is already on M1) and the 16" MBP. Rumors are that these will get a redesign, probably with some M1x variant.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pure speculation, but my guess is that now that they rolled out M1 and it was a roaring success, Apple will roll out an M10, M1.5, M2, or maybe a P1 in their pro line by mid year

Now that they've kicked Johnny Ive to the curb they can get rid of that damned touch bar

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But but but they had a press release thanking Jony Ive for his decades of service and promised to continue working with his new design firm for exciting future products!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm sure there's a million dollars worth of Johnny Ive branded paperclips in a landfill somewhere* to fulfill whatever legal obligations they signed up for

*right next to all those E.T. Atari 2600 cartridges

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

New G15 up for "Coming Soon" on Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

$1799 for 165hz QHD, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD, RTX3070 MQ.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Normally my plan would have been to upgrade my workstation and then use my old desktop to run VR and racing sims. However with the dire state of hardware components I'm thinking of getting a laptop to do the latter as well as replace my aging T530 while I hold off the workstation upgrade.

The budget laptop featured on Linus Tech Tips caught my eye. It seems relatively capable, not too expensive and sports a decent monitor for my color-sensitive workload for when I don't have an external monitor. The IO also seems more than sufficient and won't have me buying dongles. I'm not expecting to do too much travelwise and I think anything is an improvement on the T530 at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAGtV-WpIg

How crazy is it to expect this laptop to run VR games and iRacing?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

So 4.5ish years ago I built a fancy-ish desktop because I was a single homebody playing a lot of games. In the last 6 months I started moving back and forth from my girlfriend's house where there is no wifi for :siren: reasons :siren: a lot, I stay there 2 nights a week and go over for at least a while every night.

It's becoming time to upgrade my desktop I think because the gtx1070 and intel 6600k are getting long in the tooth.

I'm really considering spending a bunch on a new laptop with a rtx 3070 or 3080 and ryzen 5800 or 5900 to replace my desktop instead of upgrading it.

I'd be plugging in to a monitor and keyboard at home and bringing it back and forth a couple nights a week to watch movies I have downloaded or for light co-op gaming. Right now we're watching stuff on a tablet or our phones via 4g and gaming on her switch.

Does that sound stupid? How stupid?

I'm not sure how huge the performance difference is between comparably priced laptop and desktop parts is this gen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

great big cardboard tube posted:

I'm not sure how huge the performance difference is between comparably priced laptop and desktop parts is this gen.

Desktop parts are always going to offer better $/performance since they don't have have the same design challenges thermal/electrical power peak power (How to put multiple high power parts in a small compact laptop footprint). Laptops are also not designed to upgrade the key performance drivers(GPU+CPU).

For my own experiences of doing desktop replacement, I found a laptop solution to be much more convenient especially with a good USB-C PD dock for hooking up all the accessories.

In terms performance my of newer series like Ryzen 4000s released last you ended up being almost near desktop performance to higher power intel desktop parts from the previous year in 2019. The new 5000s AMD CPUs laptop to be released Q1/Q2 this year will be even bigger beasts in CPU performance along with the first batch Nvidia max Q parts.

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 18, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

bull3964 posted:

New G15 up for "Coming Soon" on Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

$1799 for 165hz QHD, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD, RTX3070 MQ.
drat, that's cheaper than I thought! I wonder how the 3070MQ will match up in terms of speed and power consumption. I'm sure better than the 2070MQ but Ampere does love it's power and I wonder how they'll square that. It'd be nice if it could clock up and down effectively. I also wonder how hard it'll be to find these.

quote:

In general performance is pretty close, with the big caveat of heat. If you have a way of getting the heat from your laptop out of your laptop, the MQ line of GPUs in the 2000 series will be about 15-20% slower than desktop, but usually you're pushing less pixels on the screen. For people who want to play "Push every last frame" games I suggest a cooling pad regardless of the laptop, but laptops with poor cooling design can struggle after some time even on a pad.

3xxx series on laptops aren't out yet so I can't speak to them, and I'd expect the availability to be bad through April as a likely case, possibly beyond. We have no idea the stock/demand situation.

Fragrag posted:

Not crazy, but again heat. I'd expect these are similar to MSI (which are decent value!) but maybe a step down? If so, you'll hit some heat throttling maybe even on a cooling pad. Also, a 2060MQ (which, again, is slower than a desktop 2060) is not the ideal VR GPU for racing games (though its ok). Your HMD will make a big difference here too.

I haven't used one here so I'm trying to just give my best guess.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 18, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

great big cardboard tube posted:

my girlfriend's house where there is no wifi for :siren: reasons :siren:

I dated somebody like this, once, good luck sir :patriot:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Fragrag posted:

This is a complete guess, but I imagine it's not going to be ideal for VR. Isn't VR pushing a lot more resolution than most laptop's 1080/1440p displays?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"Traditional" VR involves basically running two 3D engines side by side with slightly different camera angles. Amateur projects built from scratch still do this, and is how 1000-series GPU primarily work

Modern 3D engines take advantage of VR specific instructions in the 2000 and 3000 series GPU that allow you to (vastly simplifying here) render 0.75 of the scene in a single pipeline, and then the final 0.25 of the pipeline twice, once for each eye. End result is still > 100% but it's nowhere near 200% the requirements of what was happening in the 2010-2018 era. Commercial engines capable of this are Unity, Unreal etc

I have no idea what engine iRacing uses, if it's proprietary, or on a new-enough version of a Major Commerical Engine. A lot of simulators are 100% custom one-off things. Kerbal Space Program is really impressive partly because it's* a solar-system scale space simulator built on a general purpose commercial engine

*it can be, with some off-the-shelf plugins, otherwise it's 1/10th scale out of the box

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 19, 2021

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
iRacing pushed some VR performance improvements the past year and Assetto Corsa Competizione runs Unreal Engine 4. I'm not expecting to run at ultra or even high quality settings for racing either, but the mobile 2060 version will at least be an improvement on my current 1060 won't it?

VR-wise I'll probably only use it to test the small VR apps I develop whenever I'm working from home and again, I'm not really expecting.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

A friend just asked me what machine to get for video and audio editing, figuring since I'm a programmer I'll obviously know this stuff.

Well, I don't, of course. Last I heard, years ago probably, MacBooks were the preferred laptops for that kind of work, is that still true in any meaningful way or is it up to personal preference at this point? Any crystal clear "this is the media editor's laptop" answer (I assume not)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Woebin posted:

A friend just asked me what machine to get for video and audio editing, figuring since I'm a programmer I'll obviously know this stuff.

Well, I don't, of course. Last I heard, years ago probably, MacBooks were the preferred laptops for that kind of work, is that still true in any meaningful way or is it up to personal preference at this point? Any crystal clear "this is the media editor's laptop" answer (I assume not)?

Personal preference.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fragrag posted:

iRacing pushed some VR performance improvements the past year and Assetto Corsa Competizione runs Unreal Engine 4. I'm not expecting to run at ultra or even high quality settings for racing either, but the mobile 2060 version will at least be an improvement on my current 1060 won't it?

VR-wise I'll probably only use it to test the small VR apps I develop whenever I'm working from home and again, I'm not really expecting.

Yes, 25-30% increase, assuming you can keep the 2060mq reasonably cool.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Personal preference.

Yeah plus along what's the most commonly used software for video editing and encoding.

I know people prefer Apples various media software over similar options on Windows.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, kind of a broad tech question; I've been using an Acer Aspire e17 for a while and the power cord has pretty much always been loose and generally finicky, and it finally seems to have stopped wanting to connect at all. I think I can get a replacement cord pretty easily, but I just wanted to check if that sounds like a cord problem or a problem with the laptop supply itself. The pin in the charger seems to be pretty stable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Hey, kind of a broad tech question; I've been using an Acer Aspire e17 for a while and the power cord has pretty much always been loose and generally finicky, and it finally seems to have stopped wanting to connect at all. I think I can get a replacement cord pretty easily, but I just wanted to check if that sounds like a cord problem or a problem with the laptop supply itself. The pin in the charger seems to be pretty stable.

If you push lightly on the laptop power plug with toothpick does it shift around or anything? Does it feel like the solder that holds the casing might have come loose? If not then it's probably the power plug.

Amazon usually is an easy return if the new one doesn't fit well.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Woebin posted:

Adobe Premier pro and Avid are the main two for video editing professional work. Both are on mac and PC. Final Cut Pro is Mac only and is used as well A desktop would be much more powerful than a laptop, video editing goes much faster on better hardware. Something like a Thinkstation P620 or a Mac Pro tower. Lenovo p1 or Dell Precision would be a better option than a mac, just much more powerful processors with a 45w limit instead of 10w. But if you need a lightweight portable laptop. A MacBook Air or Pro 13, or XPS 13, or Lenovo x1 Carbon are all fine. Macs are nice if you live very close to an apple store, but Dell and Lenovo both have onsite warranty options that are a better fit for most businesses.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lockback posted:

If you push lightly on the laptop power plug with toothpick does it shift around or anything? Does it feel like the solder that holds the casing might have come loose? If not then it's probably the power plug.

Amazon usually is an easy return if the new one doesn't fit well.

Yeah I tried messing with it and it seems pretty solid, so I think I'll just order one, especially if I can return it

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Ima go the other way and say that a budget gaming laptop like a g7-15 would be best for video editing once they strip out all the dumbass gamer bloatware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

lampey posted:

Adobe Premier pro and Avid are the main two for video editing professional work. Both are on mac and PC. Final Cut Pro is Mac only and is used as well A desktop would be much more powerful than a laptop, video editing goes much faster on better hardware. Something like a Thinkstation P620 or a Mac Pro tower. Lenovo p1 or Dell Precision would be a better option than a mac, just much more powerful processors with a 45w limit instead of 10w. But if you need a lightweight portable laptop. A MacBook Air or Pro 13, or XPS 13, or Lenovo x1 Carbon are all fine. Macs are nice if you live very close to an apple store, but Dell and Lenovo both have onsite warranty options that are a better fit for most businesses.
Yeah it's important to her that it's a laptop for mobility's sake, otherwise I probably would've just helped her build a decent desktop. Good points otherwise, thanks!

LibCrusher posted:

Ima go the other way and say that a budget gaming laptop like a g7-15 would be best for video editing once they strip out all the dumbass gamer bloatware.
This was actually kind of my instinct too, but I figured there might be something I'm missing that makes it a bad choice for some reason. I dunno if a gaming laptop would be cheaper than one marketed for work though, on some level I assumed it'd be more expensive. Will definitely keep it as an option when checking prices though!