Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't watched the video but WHAT is that plug. Looks like an LPT-1 parallel printer port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's one normal USB-C port and the rest is a proprietary connector to carry PCI 3.0 x8.

The whole dock has a bandwidth potential of 74gbps. 64gbps is over the proprietary link while the remaining 10gbps is on the USB-C port.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 26, 2021

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

etalian posted:

Brightness is only really important for situations like taking a laptop outside and also tends to be associated with $1000+ models due to the requiring a more expensive panel.

I don't consider myself very picky, but with the Lenovo Flex 5 14" I just got, the screen doesn't get bright enough. Even being inside with bright indirect light behind me I basically have it turned up all the way. I don't know if it's partially because of glossy screen (I've always had matte screens), but I kind of get what people are talking about with low nits.

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but I would prefer a brighter screen.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hadlock posted:

I haven't watched the video but WHAT is that plug. Looks like an LPT-1 parallel printer port

I don't see it as being too different from all the old proprietary docking ports. At this point I'm probably just waiting to see how the new Legion 5/7 and zephyrus G1x turn out since they all appear to be acceptable in specs and not looking super gamery.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kirtar posted:

old proprietary docking ports.

My point exactly

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcLi8W0Ysmc

Flow X13 review. Expensive, but it looks like it works and works well. The price ($3200 with everything) isn't going to be for a lot of people. But if you wanted a powerful portable machine that trades blows with a desktop when doing docked gaming, then there's nothing else like it.

Again, I think the biggest advantage this has is that the eGPU is actually portable. So you could take this whole thing with you somewhere. It's debatable as to whether or not you are gaining anything over just getting 15" or 17" with the same GPU. But if you have the right niche for it, it's going to be perfect.
Someone put the same machine against a egpu over thunderbolt and test the performance difference.

The propriety egpu seems good for performance but terrible for giving up the tb/USB-C convenience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ilkhan posted:

The propriety egpu seems good for performance but terrible for giving up the tb/USB-C convenience.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

The notebook itself still has two USB-C 3.0 Gen 2 ports so you could use a normal USB-C dock if you wanted to. It's a ryzen notebook, so thunderbolt wasn't really expected anyways.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

The notebook itself still has two USB-C 3.0 Gen 2 ports so you could use a normal USB-C dock if you wanted to. It's a ryzen notebook, so thunderbolt wasn't really expected anyways.
Right. I keep forgetting how behind AMD is on that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In theory 85% of all laptops, 95% of all new non-low-end laptops starting in 2022 should have USB4 which ought to give you 40gbps in each direction by default

Really looking forward to the era of the universal USB4 external GPU

I guess you can't fully max out a 2080 gpu on a TB3 link, but my 1050ti seems to be holding up fine after several years, that ought to be more than fast enough for the average consumer. GPU and screen hinges, components wearing out over time seem to be the only reason to upgrade your laptop these days. A high quality laptop with an eGPU takes an awful lot of pressure off upgrading every couple of years

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://thecrow.uk/gpd-p2-max-ultrabook-cyberdeck-review/

Kind of.... want

16gb ram, 512gb ssd, Intel m3 processor.... 8.9" screen

340ppi, 2560x1600 resolution

$909 usd, reading glasses not included

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hadlock posted:

https://thecrow.uk/gpd-p2-max-ultrabook-cyberdeck-review/

Kind of.... want

16gb ram, 512gb ssd, Intel m3 processor.... 8.9" screen

340ppi, 2560x1600 resolution

$909 usd, reading glasses not included

I have a android tablet mounted in my car as a navigation/media player and I am doing some mental calculus as to what it would involve to swap it out for one of these.

Does it bend 180 degrees?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No idea. Hinge looks like a pretty traditional design to me so I'm guessing no

It charges via USB-C, so as long as your 12v usb adapter supports USB-C PD (not difficult to find) power shouldn't be difficult

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

It's extremely amusing to me that phones started tiny and trend larger and larger and laptops started huge and trend smaller and smaller and eventually they're going to gently caress and we will all carry around their offspring

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

great big cardboard tube posted:

It's extremely amusing to me that phones started tiny and trend larger and larger and laptops started huge and trend smaller and smaller and eventually they're going to gently caress and we will all carry around their offspring

lol phones started off huge it wasnt until like 1998 that they started getting tiny, then once iphone/screens came out only did they start getting bigger again

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Looking for a laptop with good battery life, build quality, and great screen (but trying to stay in 13-15” range), as I do doc review and word processing for ~8hrs per day, but would like to be able to take it with me when traveling. No gaming or video/photo editing and don’t need significant built-in storage. Would be nice if it had easy way to hook up to multi-monitor setup, but I’m guessing that can mostly be addressed via software/external hardware solutions. Not really sure how much this should cost, but trying to keep it sub-$1000. I’m in no rush to make the purchase if it makes a difference. As per usual with these requests, I know nothing.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 27, 2021

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Here's another video about the 30 series mobile GPUs reiterating the weirdness (sorry for the unfortunate thumbnail, it's a good video regardless)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9fk9d6pry4

Considering my interest for a gaming laptop was for productivity and (theoretical) mobile gaming (not hooking up to an external display) I feel my "dream" laptop should be 14/15" 16:10 screen, Ryzen 5000, 16GB, 1TB and a 3060 should be plenty for whatever native res the laptop will be.

I imagine that should be easily doable this year and around the $1500 range.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

1redflag posted:

Looking for a laptop with good battery life, build quality, and great screen (but trying to stay in 13-15” range), as I do doc review and word processing for ~8hrs per day, but would like to be able to take it with me when traveling. No gaming or video/photo editing and don’t need significant built-in storage. Would be nice if it had easy way to hook up to multi-monitor setup, but I’m guessing that can mostly be addressed via software/external hardware solutions. Not really sure how much this should cost, but trying to keep it sub-$1000. I’m in no rush to make the purchase if it makes a difference. As per usual with these requests, I know nothing.

MacBook Air would fit the bill but you’re currently limited to a single external monitor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

1redflag posted:

Yeah, Air isn't a bad suggestion here depending on how you feel about MacOS and Apple and the monitor situation. This ROG when it drops back down to $850 (it probably will in the next couple weeks again) is another good option, though you will need a dock for more than 1 monitor. It's not really "gaming" despite the name:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14788750-a...earchBarV2Algo1

There's probably some good Thinkpad suggestions too, but others on this thread know that line way better than I do.

I think your budget/goals make sense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Here's another video about the 30 series mobile GPUs reiterating the weirdness (sorry for the unfortunate thumbnail, it's a good video regardless)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9fk9d6pry4

Considering my interest for a gaming laptop was for productivity and (theoretical) mobile gaming (not hooking up to an external display) I feel my "dream" laptop should be 14/15" 16:10 screen, Ryzen 5000, 16GB, 1TB and a 3060 should be plenty for whatever native res the laptop will be.

I imagine that should be easily doable this year and around the $1500 range.

Very disappointed they are going back to mobile skus being fundamentally different GPUs, though they are much closer to reality than the clusterfuck of 700-800 series.

How power/cooling is handled is going to make the actual GPU model used a poor indicator of performance though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Lockback posted:

Very disappointed they are going back to mobile skus being fundamentally different GPUs, though they are much closer to reality than the clusterfuck of 700-800 series.

How power/cooling is handled is going to make the actual GPU model used a poor indicator of performance though.
Linus has a point though. Physics doesn't allow the huge power draw and cooling that a desktop chip needs, and no amount of power saving measures are going to allow them to. Efficiency only gets you so far. The gulf between mobile and desktop is only to get bigger, any efficient gains apply to both, but desktop has a huge power budget.

I'm going to end up getting a tiger lake-H 8c and a 3050 (when it's released). Should still be plenty of grunt for videoconferencing processing and the games I play at 1080/60.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sniep posted:

lol phones started off huge it wasnt until like 1998 that they started getting tiny, then once iphone/screens came out only did they start getting bigger again

Really, big phone small computer are the convergence of the same idea.

We want the most power/versatility in the smallest package possible. With phones, it requires increasing the size to get more power and versatility but keeping it small enough to remain portable. With laptops, it involves shrinking the size to get more portability will retaining the power and versatility.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Linus has a point though. Physics doesn't allow the huge power draw and cooling that a desktop chip needs, and no amount of power saving measures are going to allow them to. Efficiency only gets you so far. The gulf between mobile and desktop is only to get bigger, any efficient gains apply to both, but desktop has a huge power budget.

I'm going to end up getting a tiger lake-H 8c and a 3050 (when it's released). Should still be plenty of grunt for videoconferencing processing and the games I play at 1080/60.

Yeah, but in the 1000 and 2000 series the MQ series was fundamentally the same GPU just downclocked, so you can say "This 2070MQ is a desktop 2070 but 30% slower", so you have a reference point you can work off of. Now you can't really do that anymore. To the extent that the 3080 will have different RAM configurations in mobile than in desktop.

It might be inevitable but its disappointing that they "fixed" it for a while and now it's messy again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lockback posted:

"This 2070MQ is a desktop 2070 but 30% slower

You could say that about a particular implementation in an exact product, but not across the board. Management of the power envelop has been something that has caused wide variances in performance of the same SKU for awhile. Laptop, Max-q, Max-p all had ranges for their power usage and even if they were rated for a particular max, their thermal envelop and processor they were paired with affected things greatly.

This is almost better, because it's requiring you to look at reviews for a particular device which is what you really needed to be doing before. I would push it further though and just make the whole 3xxx mobile line one SKU and publish the peak and average TDP.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

1redflag posted:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I just saw this deal online: https://deals.dell.com/en-us/produc...CFfEKfQodzUQEvw

$780 for Dell XPS 13- good value?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You could say that about a particular implementation in an exact product, but not across the board. Management of the power envelop has been something that has caused wide variances in performance of the same SKU for awhile. Laptop, Max-q, Max-p all had ranges for their power usage and even if they were rated for a particular max, their thermal envelop and processor they were paired with affected things greatly.

This is almost better, because it's requiring you to look at reviews for a particular device which is what you really needed to be doing before. I would push it further though and just make the whole 3xxx mobile line one SKU and publish the peak and average TDP.

What's different now is that the 3080 mobile has different ram amount, different # of cuda cores, different clock speeds vs the desktop. It's not even the same die. In the 2000 series, they were identical except for the clock speeds. Now it's an entirely different GPU. The 3080 mobile is actually a cut down 3070 but with maybe more ram. What?!

I'd agree with you that it'd be nicer if they just went with another scheme entirely but instead they are using an existing scheme that is not at all matching between desktop and laptop. AND THEN you throw in all the thermal variances which affect performance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My point is that it doesn't matter. Performance between desktop and laptop has never been the same so who gives a flying gently caress if one number is different vs the other thing.

Why is the number of cuda cores the delineating factor rather than clock speed? Or wattage?

It's all arbitrary. The 2080 Super has more cores than a 2080. "But that's a different model" you say. Well I ask why does the word "Super" make it a different model but "Mobile" does not?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

1redflag posted:

$780 for Dell XPS 13- good value?

I had an xps 13 as my work laptop from 2016 to 2018 and loved that machine. I was incredibly disappointed when my next laptop was a Macbook Pro (I would have happily accepted a 2018 Air, but the Pros are garbage machines with garbage keyboards, garbage backlighting problems, garbage missing escape keys, and garbage battery life).

My only concern would be 8G of RAM in 2021. If you're comfortable with that, I say go for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dang, priced better than I thought:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

Obviously it'd be nice to get some real hands of benchmarks but pre-order is available for a 3070 G15 for $1800. If you need a gaming laptop this is very likely going to be a top recommendation for a few months at least.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's on my shortlist for purchase, but I'm not going to buy any RTX3xxx laptop without benchmarks and a full review first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's on my shortlist for purchase, but I'm not going to buy any RTX3xxx laptop without benchmarks and a full review first.

I suspect availability will be a real concern with these for a while, but I agree with you.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I went and preordered the bestbuy model. They let you return the laptop within 15 days without a restocking fee which is pretty amazing. I'll try it out, and if it's average or better compared to similar laptop benchmarks with the same hardware I'll keep it just because of what a good deal it is.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I went ahead and pre-ordered mine, I figure I can always cancel it.

Also I had a checkbox for MyBBRewards of 10% off a single item for my birthday, so I got it for $1620. :getin:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arkage posted:

I went and preordered the bestbuy model.

Plz post pics and review

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just wish we knew the wattage.

The Strix G15 with RTX3070 has been benchmarked and it's a 115w part. It out-performs the RXT2070 at the same wattage by a good margin in some games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1lmmj1lGs

So, this gives us a good idea of the upper bound of performance.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

If you dig deep enough into the Asus website you'll see 80w up to 100 with dynamic boost advertised for the Zephyrus

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

bull3964 posted:

I just wish we knew the wattage.

The Strix G15 with RTX3070 has been benchmarked and it's a 115w part. It out-performs the RXT2070 at the same wattage by a good margin in some games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1lmmj1lGs

So, this gives us a good idea of the upper bound of performance.

Hmmm her review shows it actually doesn't perform that great relative to her laptop from two years ago. I may just end up keeping my 2080 Max-Q if the gains are this poor.

Here's another vid review from Jarrod, watching now. He seems to get 122 frames in Shadow of the Tomb Raider w/3070&Ryzen, MUCH higher than her average. Strange.

https://youtu.be/hVJe_7qFZtM

Arkage fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 28, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Arkage posted:

Here's another vid review from Jarrod, watching now. He seems to get 122 frames in Shadow of the Tomb Raider w/3070&Ryzen, MUCH higher than her average. Strange.

https://youtu.be/hVJe_7qFZtM

Wattage. That RTX3070 is 140w and not 115w like the Strix.

It always has come down to wattage, but it's even more important than ever.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Been following a few other laptop sellers. This one offering a 3080 that can boost up to 140 watts, for those interested in the most powah, but they also offer 3060 version (3070 TBD I guess?). Also don't know much about eluktronics, but at least they're being transparent about wattage. Also makes me wonder if the fans turn into jet engines with that kind of boosting.

https://www.eluktronics.com/MAX-17
https://www.eluktronics.com/MAX-15

The 15" model is under 4lbs, which is crazy. All these models have the Ryzen 7, rather than 9, however. Also, they have a Mech-15 model, which as far as I can tell has a mechanical keyboard, but not sure what else is different. It's 2k for a 3070/Ryzen7/QHD, which seems like also a good deal.... hmmmm. https://www.eluktronics.com/MECH-15-G3

Arkage fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 29, 2021

Joker
Aug 6, 2001

Arkage posted:

Been following a few other laptop sellers. This one offering a 3080 that can boost up to 140 watts, for those interested in the most powah, but they also offer 3060 version (3070 TBD I guess?). Also don't know much about eluktronics, but at least they're being transparent about wattage. Also makes me wonder if the fans turn into jet engines with that kind of boosting.

https://www.eluktronics.com/MAX-17
https://www.eluktronics.com/MAX-15

The 15" model is under 4lbs, which is crazy. All these models have the Ryzen 7, rather than 9, however. Also, they have a Mech-15 model, which as far as I can tell has a mechanical keyboard, but not sure what else is different. It's 2k for a 3070/Ryzen7/QHD, which seems like also a good deal.... hmmmm. https://www.eluktronics.com/MECH-15-G3

For what it’s worth, last year I bought the RP-15 from Eluktronics and love it (last years model with ryzen 7 and 2060). It’s a great laptop. The only downsides are the webcam below the screen isn’t ideal (although at least it has one, the asus laptops don’t) and the eluktroboost on the video card doesn’t really do a ton to boost performance. The RP-15 and I think the Max15 and 17 use the tongfang chassis which is rated well.

If I was buying a laptop this year, I would want a ryzen 9 cpu though. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot a bit by using the 7 and not the 9.

Edit- looks like they offer ryzen 9 as an option. It’s not the HX though. It’ll be interesting to see how these benchmark against the ASUS offerings.

Joker fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I still want a 35w tiger lake 8 core/low wattage 3060 or even 3050 with 2 memory slots and 2 m.2 slots. With no more depth (front to back of laptop) than my 13" surface book (232mm) and high color accuracy 16:10 1200p touch screen. My dream, anyway.