Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Ive heard Lenovo does a good sale for the 4th of July. Just a thought if you're considering waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

What is the non Mac comparison to the Mac Air screen or the Retina screen? Is the T440S IPS screen equivalent?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Thank you for your impressions, they helped me out quite a bit!

Generally speaking, which of these configurations would you guys think makes more sense:

1.) i5-4210U, 2.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Win 8
2.) i5-4200U, 2,6GHz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, no OS

I could buy a Win7 license for cheap but am I in for a huge headache with the install/driver support. Brand in question is Lenovo.

Where are you seeing that second one? I'd get that myself if its a decent price. I loving love those Yogas.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Biggest human being Ever posted:

That question is actually in relation to a U330p, sorry to disappoint you. :(

Booooo.

No worries, I figured it wasn't a Yoga since I've been digging around for a cheaper option for a little bit. Still might go with a Dell if they throw me a good enough coupon since I've got 125$ in credit to spend but man do I like those Yogas.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Dell outlet is doing 30% off until the 7th. Finally got the coupon I was waiting for so I got one of the 15 inch 7000 series with:

i7-4200u
8gb RAM
500gb HD
1920x1080 IPS touchscreen

for 640$ and then I used my 125$ gift card.

Definitely replacing that hard drive in the fall. That's actually the main reason I chose the 15 inch because getting to the HD is very easy compared to the 14.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It linearly scales with CPU cores, which isn't usually representative of real-world performance.

What do you mean? I know very little about this sort of thing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I managed to snag a Yoga 13 refurb off the outlet today after many attempts at it or the thinkpad yoga with the better display. Finally beat those loving bots.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Any word on when the XPS 13 is getting the update to the Skylake processors? I was going to grab one but I'm in no hurry so if its in the next few months I'll wait.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Liliputing seems to think real soon

Excellent

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Rurutia posted:

Apparently I have nothing better to do between sets. So looks like the GPU is custom which is why they're being so hush hush about it. source

Intriguing. I was waiting to buy the upgraded XPS 13 but a slim laptop with a dGPU is incredibly tempting. This comes out at the end of the month?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

dissss posted:

Just remember it's not exactly slim at the thick end, even compared to something like a Yoga 3 14 with the 940M

It is very lightweight though

Excellent point. I misspoke. The lightweight matters the most to me. A lot of laptops with dGPUs feel heavy as poo poo compared to ultrabooks.

Ugh I'm super tempted by this. Now to resist the urge to pre-order until I've seen reviews.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Skandranon posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about this too, but I'd really rather know more details about the GPU and it's expected performance.

Same and I want to touch it before I buy it. I spend wayyyyy too much time with my computers so I need to get a feel for it before I buy.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Seamonster posted:

Said it before and I'll say it again: If you want a quad core, 16 gb machine with competent dGPU that doesn't weigh a cathedral and isn't some chintzed out spaceship :pcgaming: with poo poo battery life then just wait for the upcoming Dell XPS 15.

EDIT: They'll also probably do a Precision model of the same if you really, really, really need Quadro graphics.

When is this supposed to be out.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I played with the Surface Book at the Microsoft store and then came home and ordered a new XPS 15.

The Surface Book was a solid device but it's more expensive, the integrated stylus is slick but not something I'd ever use, the keyboard is decent but not as good as the XPS, the latch mechanism is a little wonky to detach it, and most importantly it absolutely does not fully close. There's a noticeable space there and while the screen flexes a little bit I'm much too concerned about something breaking if it gets smushed.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Skandranon posted:

Don't suppose you tried to open Device Manager and saw what GPU it has?

It was the one without a GPU which I thought was very sneaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Seamonster posted:

Assuming you got hands on the new XPS 15, does it have some sort of magnetic lid latching? Hinges get sloppy over time and previous XPS 15s didn't have it.

Oh I didn't get to touch the new XPS 15, I played with the old one and they're keeping that same keyboard. I hadn't heard that about the hinges though.