Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm looking to pick up a laptop for lightweight school use. It has to be Windows. I know the T440 seems to be highly recommended, but that may be more computer than I need. I have a great desktop at home, and frankly I'd prefer my laptop not be capable of playing much in the way of 'real' games. I'd like it able to run Binding of Isaac/FTL/Rogue Legacy stuff, maaaaaaybe Diablo 3, but mostly just the small Steam games. As much as I like Thinkpads, I feel the T440 may be a bit overkill, and I'd rather not spend that much if I don't have to. Are there other laptops/ultrabooks in the Thinkapd line that are more portable and cheaper but aren't garbage? Also, when is Haswell supposed to hit in full volume, and is it going to be really pricey? I wanted to stay in around $500 or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

DrDork posted:

Unless you're talking about a Chromebook, almost every laptop that is both lightweight (<4lbs) and under $500 is going to be crap, if it exists at all, and there's no way you're getting a new ThinkPad of any generation for $500. If you really have to stay under $500, you may want to consider trying to pick up a used T420s or T430s. The T430s' will probably get firesaled once the T440s becomes available shortly.

$500 isn't a hard cap, but rather a starting point.

Let me reframe my question then: Which laptop would be the best intersection of price, portability, quality, and meeting my (minimal) requirements as described above? Is it going to be a different Thinkpad model, or is there an HP/Dell/Whatever that is well situated to my needs?