Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eXXon posted:

A Haswell x230t with Windows 8 and SSD for $1000 would be swell. Maybe even a discrete GPU too. Pretty please?

Isn't the X230t EOL'd? At least that's what our corporate IT purchaser says (I know, rumors and such).

We deployed like 1000 X230t's in October 2012 and now our IT department is trying to figure out what we will use when things start to break and replacement machines are necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eXXon posted:

Things... break on a Thinkpad?

I've seen some come in with *tire tracks* on them. As in, yeah, that happened. If used properly, they will last a lifetime. When you run over it, not so much.

Employees don't give a drat in general. It's not theirs...something wrong? Ship it back!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

It's .1 lbs difference, but annoying none the less.

Glad Lenovo finally realized people want FHD panels...or maybe they are in the process of realizing. No champagne yet (looking at you X230).

Unrelated note, this is a waste of money, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire...=item3f26ebf5ae

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Lenovo: We won't sell you a black Thinkpad, but Ideapads still come in black!

Yoga 2, laptop of the year; calling it now

I think you are right. drat, the Thinkpad Yoga w/Wacom looks...amazing...:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqB1ZgBoMA0

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Dub Step for a laptop commercial. Kill me now.

Just look at the trendy fella in first class, spreadsheeting it up. He's very important and makes a lot of money.

This could be you.

-Lenovo

Hey, they are getting all trendy, trying to compete with Apple. I'm a fan of this angle. Death to 1366.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

Although, from what I can tell only the consumer version has the 3200x1800 screen, bummer.
So the Thinkpad version w/Wacom (i.e. not consumer junk) isn't 3200x1800? If so, damnit Lenovo. Please make this unicorn hardware.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oh my, I have a $300 BB gift card that's unusable to me basically because I never really shop at BB.

The Yoga Pro 2 is tempting, indeed. May even sell my rMBP and use it full time...I just don't know if I can lose the trackpad on the MBP.

Looks good from here and it's in stock all around me (both 128 & 256). Hmm, what's the catch?

Is the SSD partitioned to hell and back like the original Yoga?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 16, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

You last few holdouts, time to give up your nipples and embrace the touchpad :unsmigghh:
Either I have zero self control, my Best Buy gift cards were burning a hole in my pocket, or a combination of both, but I picked a 256gig one up a few hours ago (Yoga Pro 2). Itsa niiice.

Minor nit-pick: the right shift key is small and my right pinky is having a hard time finding it when typing fast.

I also have a MBP, so the trackpad naturally is terrible vs the MBP one. Buuut, for a Windows trackpad, it's pretty decent. The "click" sounds way cheap though.

Speakers are a nice surprise. Not 15" MBP quality, but definitely a nice loudness for an ultrabook.

The keyboard is...soft...compared to, well the MBP and also my work X230t. But then again it's not an X/T/W series, so there's that. I like typing on it honestly...has kind of a muted tap sound. Speaking of the keyboard, weren't the keys supposed to recess when you go into tablet mode, or is that the super Yoga Wacom lower res edition?

Overall it's a very nice computer for the price. The screen is, as expected, awesome. It's like staring at melting butter. Just so smooth and crisp. Scaling issues seem to have been addressed for the most part in 8.1 (which comes pre-loaded) but many apps are still jacked up and don't look good at all. In time I guess.

Edit: the screen (panel itself) is pretty...flexy. Flexy to the point that I worry about it cracking the glass if flexed with both hands (when closing, for example). Be careful I guess.

Lenovo has a very compelling little computer here. They will sell lots. You should buy one.

And yes, if they added a nipplemouse this thing would be perfect.

Aaad another edit. My integrated mic doesn't seem to work that great. I set up the included Dragon and had to basically yell directly into the screen to get the little green bars to move. It did register, but I don't exactly plan on yelling at my computer when I use dictation. Exchange time?

Last edit: so I sat down in the recliner, set it on my lap and used my thumb to open the display. The entire laptop did a backwards somersault and fell on the rug. So, the base is much lighter than the MBP I'm used to. And durable. Be careful out there.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 17, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
re: trackpad chat vs. Apple.

I have to say, it's annoying me already (the Yoga Pro 2).

May be a return in my future. I guess I'm beyond spoiled by the rMBP's trackpad...silky smoob and no comparable one outside of Apple it appears.

If the Yoga Pro 2 had a trackpoint, I would definitely keep it. Not so sure so far. It's just not that great if you have ever used an Apple one. It's the primary mode of input outside of the keyboard, so yes I guess I'm sperging.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Bah, the lovely trackpad on the Yoga Pro 2 (along with YELLOW FUD I guess - saw this after I got rid of it) caused me to return it at Best Buy today.

Exchanged it for a 2013 Haswell 11" MBA w/256gigs ($999, open box, never used). Was nice getting $219 credited back during the exchange, also.

Guess I'm an Apple hardware guy at heart. Really, I just wanted to be able to keep the machine in my bag at security (I fly weekly) since I already take my work X230t out for screening (at non-PreCheck airports). The MBA does all I need it to do and is extremely light.

1366, non IPS, I get it but the Air is perfect as a second travel machine. Dat trackpad too.

Just finished putting Windows 8.1 on it via Bootcamp. Perfect compromise and companion to my 15" rMBP w/Win 8.1 via Bootcamp as well.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 19, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

DNova posted:

What's the determination for being able to keep a computer in your bag or not? I thought only tablets and e-readers were exempt.

Under 13" according the TSA. I've never had an issue with my Surface Pro (which I've sold). Just leave it in there and they never said a thing. If I tried to leave my 12.5" Thinkpad in my bag, all hell breaks loose.

So I guess it's really under 12.5"? Not sure but an 11" laptop causes zero issues (owned an 11" MBA years ago, never had to remove it).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Remember when the TSA gave its consent to the Tumi T-Pass briefcase?

never forget.

You can still use cases like that, even with a 13"+ laptop. The TSA does occasionally ask you to totally remove it, but if the case opens up and the flap containing the laptop is by itself (like in the photos on the link) it's fine. Basically, it has to be separated from the other contents of your bag. Otherwise, the drone at the scanner screen has a shitfit and demands you remove you terrorist computer for screening. It's so aggravating. The only real solution is to get in on the PreCheck program and leave all that poo poo in your bag (liquids, leave your shoes belt and jacket on - it's amazing).

http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4063096 *

*The TSA reserves the right to ask anyone to remove a Laptop from its case, or re-screen any laptop or case

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 19, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Yudo posted:

Bestbuy is offering the Macbook air 11.6 in for $900.

I picked up an 11" Haswell w/256 gigs 4 days ago at BB for $999. Was "open box" but literally had never been used (1 battery cycle out of the box). Not bad. I love it for traveling.

I usually buy everything from BB as open box. They are mostly remorse returns that are hundreds off from retail. Full return policy and 1-yr Applecare w/ the option to extend. At worst, the 1-yr Applecare may be like 11 months depending on if it was ever activated and when it was returned. But it's a good deal to go open box if you want to save a bit.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

huh posted:

I've been reading that Windows can be put on to a Macbook.

Assuming this is true, are there any downsides to doing this?

Two downsides:

If you have a retina Macbook, be aware that scaling in Windows is not great. You can crank it to 200% and hope for the best, but many apps are fuzzy on the screen due to janky scaling.

Also, the buttery smooth trackpad on Macbooks sucks big time in Windows. I haven't found a good solution outside of "just use an external mouse."

Bonus downside: battery life is not great in Windows vs. OSX.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

AriTheDog posted:

Ah, poo poo - they stopped selling it, it was $899 for the 4/256 model. Sorry!

Wait, so this model:

http://www.costco.com/.product.100086861.html

Was $899 at one point?!

Nevermind. I guess 4 extra gigs of RAM is worth a $300 premium to Costco. Strange.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kreez posted:

x240 finally available with FHD screen. Just ordered one for myself.

Just to confirm, there is no good reason for an ordinary user to get the i5-4300 over the i5-4200, right?

Are you in the US? I'm only seeing 1366 trash.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
X240 w/FHD

• 4th Gen Intel Core i5-4200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.60GHz) ($50 more)
• Windows 8 64
• Windows 8 64 English
• 12.5" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit AntiGlare IPS Touch Display, Mobile Broadband Ready ($200 something more)
• Intel HD Graphics 4400
• 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM
• Keyboard Backlit - US English
• UltraNav TrackPoint and Muli-touch Touchpad with Fingerprint Reader
• 720p HD Camera
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr)
• 6cell LiIon 72Wh Cyl HC Rear
• 45W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
• Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0 ($20 or so more)
• Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
• Publication - US English
• Standard Retail Packaging
• 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
• SWR for Softex FPR

$1,141 with 7DAYDEALS and B&N Gold. I think I should...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

P.N.T.M. posted:

This comes up every time someone orders from Lenovo. Here's the deal:

You are ordering an electronic device from China. It will take a month. They will dick you around with the estimate 2 or 3 times. They will give you a conservative estimate, a "your lucky day" estimate and an estimate that isn't far from the actual day of arrival. I can't tell you what order those estimates will be given to you, just don't go crazy when they switch up the ETA on you.

FWIW, I ordered an X240 w/FHD screen and AC wifi on 1/17.

It shipped today, 10 days after ordering (they are built to order). Not bad, especially for Lenovo.

Edit: I'm in the US.

The extra battery I also ordered with it shipped the same day the order was placed.

I'll post some pics when it gets here. IPS FHD goodness on a X240. Unicorns, finally.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 28, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That's exactly what I'm planning on getting. Did you get it with the M.2 drive and if not can you peek inside and see if it has an open slot for one? Can I buy it from you when you inevitably get rid of it next month?

Lol. Computers and phones are an entire different ballgame for me. I try to keep computers until they die.

I'll take a look when it gets here and let you know.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Guy on Reddit just posted a review of the new Carbon with the goofy keyboard.

http://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/1wm5vx/just_got_my_gen2_x1_carbon_as_developert m_and_long/

Oh my. Having doubts about my incoming X240 now. In a strange twist of events, I may return it before even opening it since I picked up a new 128gig Surface Pro today from Best Buys current fire sale...$499.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure they were complaining about the new X1 Carbon. I don't think anyone here actually has an X240 yet. If hotsauce is nice he will tell us all about it before returning his.

Lol. As I understand Lenovo no longer charges restocking fees on returns so I'm in the safe zone. Will post photos on Monday assuming UPS actually gets it to me in time.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
X240 FHD just arrived. Its beautiful.

And DOA. Fun!

Will not power on at all. Maybe next month my replacement will arrive!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

God dammit! Can you at least do a mini-review of the keyboard/trackpad? Well, as much as you can do with it off? Pictures would be nice, too.

Since I have to wait on a return box to me overnighted to me, I'll see what I can do when I get home.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So, uh, yeah, about that DOA X240.

Apparently my car inverter is DOA...strange since I use it fine with my work X230t, but anyhow...

Got home, plugged it in and voila, works fine. Feeling pretty dumb right now, but why wouldn't it boot on battery/the car inverter? The batteries (internal and 6-cell) were at 30% each, but I digress.

After getting it booted up, I have to say wow. The FHD screen is 100% butter. Looks better than the Yoga 2 Pro screen, IMO. The 1080p really shines here.

Screen
As I said above, it's awesome. No dead pixels, very minimal "par for the course" IPS bleeding along the bottom, but nothing to :spergin: about. actually there is zero bleed. Fonts are clear and very readable out of the box. Not sure what the DPI scaling is set to, but I'm assuming it's 125% or 150% or something. Works for me (I'll play with it more after I install the SSD).

Keyboard
Oh, the keyboard. The layout isn't that bad and they key feel is exteremely quiet and tactile. Zero disappointment and this is coming from a huge Lenovo fan. But dat trackpad. Oh the trackpad. It's huge and one single slab of plastic. No individual buttons (but we knew that already). It's weird using the clit mouse and every time you click, the entire plastic surface moves downward. Same with middle (scrolling) and right click. Will take some getting used to, that's for sure, but it's not a total trainwreck.

Batteries
Yes, plural. It has a sealed 3-cell and a second 3/6 cell option. I got the 6-cell for $5 more and also bought a 3-cell for travel needs (I fly a ton). The 6-cell raises the underneath - very annoying to me, but hey, it's there for long away from the wall uses. Will mostly use the 3-cell I'm guessing. It's been running for like 20 minutes, so I obviously can't speak to battery life, but the internet says it will last like a month, so I'm not concerned. If you can live with the raised bottom, spring for the $5 more 6-cell option.

Performance
Fast. I got the i5. No worries here. It's not a Cray, but for a highly portable machine, it'll do (I don't game, fools).

Overall, after the initial shock of "OMG DOA" I realized it needed to be plugged into an actual house A/C outlet to boot up, despite the batteries having plenty of juice in them and my car's inverter working properly. Strange, but true.

There doesn't appear to be an option to burn a Lenovo recovery DVD, so I'm going to either clone the 500gig platter drive to my 500gig Samsung 840 EVO or install Windows 8 Professional fresh (I have an unused DVD and key from a sale).

25 minutes in with the machine, I'd say it's a buy for now. The screen is balls out amazing.

Don't want to poo poo up the post with images, so have an imgur link:

http://imgur.com/a/XzRnc

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 4, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Straker posted:

That seems like a waste of a key, if you can get by with whatever version is already on there... you know you can clean install just fine even though there's no sticker with a key any more right? :)

It shipped with Win8 Home. I have a Win8 Professional DVD. I know it's wasting a key, but I don't have another use for it, so might as well.

I would clone it, but other forums say that's not the best idea because of platter-SSD mappings or some poo poo being off.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
FYI the bottom is pretty hard to remove. Just a heads up if you want to replace the HDD/RAM.

http://imgur.com/a/Uot8O

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thanks, buddy. Putting mine together right now. Did you get the Dragon Assistant (it's selected by default) and is it worth using?

e: Nevermind, decided I don't need that poo poo. Order placed!

Nah and no problem. I hesitated posting after the IYG grip tape mockery, but whatever.

Side bonus: even though my machine shipped with Win8 Home, my Win8 Pro DVD installed automatically. Both keys must be embedded in the BIOS. Sweet!

Had to download the Intel AC wifi drivers onto a thumb drive from Lenovo and install manually though (the machine didn't see the wifi card). Updating everything now.

Slight issue: the fan has a high pitched whine. gently caress. I think I can deal with it though.

Edit: like a high pitched whine. Can hear it all around my kitchen. :mad:

Wife watching a movie in the other room literally just asked "what's that high pitched noise?"

Hadlock posted:

Can you take a picture or two of the bottom half of the case you had to remove? Is it plastic, magnesium (or metal, period) etc? It just looks like everything is bolted to a plate of magnesium, I'm curious to get your impressions of things like flex, material thickness (durability) etc

Eh, I've already put it back on and don't feel like taking it back off. Basically, you loosen 8 screws and pry it up. The screws stay in the shell, thankfully. It's easiest to start the pry next to the ethernet port and work your way around.

It's a little flexible. Typical Lenovo magnesium I guess (it's definately not plastic).

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 4, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

As a fan of the X230, can you compare the two?

Screen is vastly better.

Keyboard is much more quiet and dampened (in a good way).

It's thinner and lighter.

I miss the separate trackpad buttons, but am adjusting.

Fingerprint reader no longer has swipe to boot. Guess Apple buying the patent ended that.

There is no way to adjust the nipple mouse sensitivity. I always crank it way down to highly sensitive so my finger doesn't get sore. The only way to replicate this is speed up the pointer in TrackPoint settings and general mouse settings. It's an ok compromise, but I have no idea why Lenovo omitted that feature.

Scaling is set to "the middle" of the slider in 8.1. Chrome is blurry as hell unless you check "let me use separate settings" or something in resolution, then go to 100, 125, 150% or whatever. 125% is manageable, makes Chrome clear, but is overall pretty tiny. Chrome is annoying outdated when it comes to scaling. IE is crystal clear at the default scaling, of course.

Build quality seems incredible.

Fan at high speeds will give you a migraine. The high-pitch whine is a serious issue, IMO. The good news is the fan only ramps up to high RPMs when doing intensive stuff or installing a shitload of updates at once. Otherwise, it's silent. But boy when it cranks up, it is painful.

Any more questions?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Calidus posted:

Using the BN Link:

A X240 with the 1080 ips screen, Win8 Pro, 8GB of RAM, i5-4300U and a 500GB HD is $1,375.20.

A Thinkpad Yoga with the 1080 ips screen, Win8 Pro, 8GB of RAM, i5-4300U and a 256GB SSD is $1,340.10.

Shouldn't the x240 be cheaper?

My X240 (B&N) was:

i5 4200u (don't need 4300)
4gigs
500gig platter
AC card
Win8 Home (BIOS has Pro key also, FWIW if you can find a legit Pro 64 image for a clean install)
FHD IPS

Came to $1,141.92 before tax.

I added a 500 gig EVO SSD ($250 after eBay bucks) and will get an 8gig RAM stick later ($80).

Not bad for the listed price.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Alright, so my X240 is starting to annoy me a bit. The keyboard is SO soft to the touch. I would prefer a little more "clack" and feedback, but it's still great. Just...different.

The single slab trackpad is the worst so far. I'm still getting used to it, but it is annoying me. Clicking when using the trackpoint requires a bit of effort - too much, actually. The travel to click (if that makes sense) is too deep and the entire slab depresses when you click it. It's weird.

Also, not having the ability to decrease the pressure sensitivity of the trackpoint is an odd omission. I have the speed turned all the way up and my index finger is actually getting sore from using it. The force that is required to move the cursor is too much. There needs to be a setting to turn down the necessary force to move the pointer, IMO.

Screen and overall performance is still incredible. Sound is a bit tinny, but it's not an entertainment machine.

I'll keep it unless I give up on the trackpoint/pad in a week or so. What makes it that much harder is using my work issued X230t. I just wish the X240 had an identical keyboard (not so dampened) and separate trackpad buttons. The new design is a very odd departure that I don't think many will love...they will tolerate, but never love.

Edit: because of the trackpoint issues, I'm actually using the trackpad more and more. I usually disable it on any Lenovo I use..and now I'm actually using it more. Blasphemy I tell you.

It's not smooth at all though. Jerky and inaccurate, like any non-Macbook.

I hate trackpads, but the trackpoint is just so stiff compared to decades of other Thinkpads. The need to add a pressure sensitivity setting ASAP.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 6, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kreez posted:

So as I've complained about before, the new Thinkpad drivers removed the option for middle click to be a plain old middle click instead of a scrolling function. I finally got fed up enough that I installed Ubuntu, the Synaptics drivers have a ton more options than in Windows. So thank you Lenovo, I've been meaning to get away from Windows for years now, you've helped me make the first step.

Keyboard comparison between x240 and Thinkpad Yoga: x240 has more travel, but slightly mushier feeling. They're both good keyboards though.

Returned my X240 today. The trackpad is an abomination. I tried really hard to like it. But gave up.

Also, the keyboard, as you said, is mushy. I also found it way too quiet and dampened and it just felt strange to type on vs. other Thinkpads.

These may sound like fickle reasons, but if you've used Thinkpads for 14+ years like myself, it's hard to adapt.

Not sure what I'm going to buy now.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

You should try the T440s.

Has the same trackpad, which is primarily why I returned the X240. How is this a solution? (serious question)

\/ \/ Haha, you never disappoint, Dr.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 7, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cheekio posted:

I got drunk and pulled the trigger on a W540 last night.
Are you prepared for the sobering reality that is the offset keyboard? All I've read are constant complaints about it because your wrists get sore from the KB and trackpad being offset.

The 3k screen option is yummy indeed, but the keyboard + num pad is an abomination.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So how does one bounce back from being stung by Lenovo's questionable design changes (sent back X240)?

Walk into Best Buy, walk out with an outrageous deal.

Noticed the open box cage had a 13" rMBP/8gig/512ssd for $1,799. Marked down to $1,611.

There was a sign that said "Friday and Saturday only - extra 20% off open box laptops!"

Snatched that poo poo up in a millisecond. I feel like I stole the drat thing.

ME866LL/A. Basically the latest gen Haswell rMBP.

$1,289 for a $1,799 machine with only 5 charge cycles and 11.5 months left on the warranty?

Yes please. Cheaper than the X240 and a much better machine. Considered flipping it for a few hundred buck profit, but nope.

My quest is over.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I worked another deal today at Best Buy for an Open Box Mac.

Got a Macbook Air Haswell 13"/128gig/4gig for $719.

Was $1099, marked to $899 open box. Chatted with the manager and asked for 20% off. He said "sure, let's make a deal."

Another screaming deal, but I have been utterly ruined by retina screens. I think it's going back...I was planning on returning the 13" rMBP 512gig/8gig I got for $1,249 to save $500, but I just can't.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cmdrmonkey posted:

The clickpad on the new Thinkpads isn't that bad once you get used to it. If you like the Mac clickpad, you'll probably be okay with it as it's basically a knockoff of that. On the plus side it is very large and responsive. They just need to adjust the amount of travel for press to click. I'd say it's more what they did to the trackpoint that will be a deal breaker for some.

I don't know, I have a 15" MBP and ~had~ an X240 FHD, but returned it. I hated the trackpad. Not having separate physical buttons is a huge change. Maybe I'm grumpy cause I've used Thinkpads for over 14 or so years, but I have to tell you, I really disliked it.

That and not being able to adjust the required pressure to move the trackpoint. I had it cranked all the way up to the fastest settings and my finger got sore after 30 minutes. I realize this is probably a software fix (zero ETA or even guarantee) but I didn't want to wait. Plus the single slab trackpad is absolutely NO Macbook trackpad. Not even close.

Need a dedicated Windows machine (not Bootcamp) so I grabbed an X230i tablet (IPS) for $370. It's an i3, but I don't play games or render feature films, so it's all good.

1366 be damned, I need classic Lenovo quality. The keyboard on the X240 was dead silent and not "clacky" like the X230. Silent isn't good. Felt...dead and hollow.

Zero regrets. I really hope Lenovo knows what they are doing. I guess they are betting on the iPad raised generation to not notice or care, but they lost me as a decade and a half customer until the fix the mess they've created.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 7, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Chernori posted:

I finally got my refurb Lenovo X201! It's definitely way more solid than my old Toshiba netbook.

I actually have a new hard disk (non-SSD) to replace the relatively small one that came with my new X201. Unfortunately, it appears the computer doesn't come with a tool to make a recovery bootable USB stick like my Toshiba did... it just has a recovery partition.

What's the best way for me to get Windows 7 and the recovery partition onto the new hard drive, once I install it in the computer? Is there a tool I can download from Lenovo that will allow me to do that?

Find your COA underneath the battery or on the bottom of the unit. Identify which OS came with your machine. Download the appropriate image from here (avoid torrents, ensure it's from digitalriver) burn it to a DVD, then reboot with said DVD attached.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28517-Windows-7-w-o-SP1-and-SP1-Media-Refresh-Direct-Download-Links

Or here:

http://heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Install Windows, then activate using the license key on your laptop's sticker. You may have to install the wireless card drivers via a USB stick. Google "Lenovo X201 drivers" find them on Lenovo's site, search for Wifi drivers, download the .exe to a USB drive. Save it. Install the .exe on the cleanly installed OS.

Then, connect to the internet, google "Lenovo software update" install the .exe and run it about 5 times until everything is installed.

Congrats, you have a clean install. I do this with every Lenovo machine I've ever owned. Flawless. You don't need a recovery partition.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
After angrily returning my FHD X240 to Lenovo because of the track pad, I ended up finding a touch FHD T440s, 12 gigs of RAM, 256ssd, 3 yr warranty. I have to say its much better than the X240 - especially when running at the native 1080 resolution. 14" is ideal for this resolution, 12.5" isn't. Things are way too small on 12". If you get a T440s, you want the AUO panel not the LG (it ghosts pretty bad). All tough panels are AUO so that's the only way to guarantee.

The outlet regularly had 1080 T440s' for under a grand. Steal.

I still hate the touchpad but have given up at this point. Its a solid machine if you get one for around a grand.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

What are differences aside from the size and the extra 4GB of RAM?

What differences? The differences between the X240 and T440s? There are some, google would highlight I guess.

The specific differences between the X240 I returned and the T440s I have, aside from the obvious ones, are the T440s has an i7 processor, AC wifi, full-size keyboard (the X240 is slightly smaller) and more comfortable screen at 1080p. I don't like scaling because it makes Chrome look like total rear end. Chrome's fault, but I run at 1080p with no scaling. Was difficult on a 12" screen, just about perfect on the 14". Also, I had to install a Samsung SSD in the X240. The T440s has a Lenovo SSD (Samsung as well) so at least since it's a shipped FRU, it's covered by the 3-yr warranty.

One issue, the keyboard space bar only registers ~50% of my clicks. You have to forcefully click it for it to work. Just submitted an online replacement request under warranty. Lenovo usually just silently overnights replacement parts (based on my doing this before) so it will be interesting to see if they do this with the keyboard, since it's a lot harder to replace for the ordinary consumer.

They are virtually the same machine outside of physical dimensions. Weight on the T440s is like 0.5 lbs heavier. I can live with that. The trackpad is still and will always give me fits, but I just stopped crying about it. I now carry a bluetooth mouse. Thanks Lenovo!

Edit: Well I'll be damned. A new keyboard will be here by 10:30am tomorrow, hours after I requested it. Lenovo just trusted me, I guess (it's true, my spacebar is not working well). Nice. Hope it's a Chicony one.

Shipper: IBM
Delivery Commitment: 10:30 AM
UPS Service: UPS Next Day Air

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thanks. I was just wondering what made the T440s acceptable when the X240 wasn't, since they're nearly the same machine save the size difference and the 4GB of soldered RAM. I'm still very happy with my X240. Then again I really like the trackpad on it so maybe my opinions are wrong.

After using both on 1080p, I didn't realize that was really my main complaint with the X240. It just works much better for my eyeballs on a 14" screen, a revelation that was reached after getting the T440s, I suppose.