Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I can't remember the exact model, but my worst laptop was easily a Toshiba 3100 something or other.

Monochrome orange screen, weighed about 10kg so it was only portable in theory. No idea about the specs but it was good enough to learn Qbasic programming :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

silence_kit posted:

Linux is a huge waste of time. Don't install it on your personal computers. If you don't have a tonne of free time to janitor your personal computer and deal with its many bugs, or if you don't find joy in doing random Google searches to deal with [random Linux bug/issue X] instead of your computer just working, then just buy a computer which comes with Mac or Windows.

I went on Slashdot for the first time in about 15 years the other day, and there were a handful of neckbeards still there, claiming unironically in the comments section of every article that this year would definitely be the year of Linux on the desktop.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Wow that keyboard. Imagine if someone saw you

Surely they’re programmable, so you could set them all to white and nobody would be wiser

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Just know that surface books are, like all surface products, completely sealed computers with fans. So, only plan on owning it for as long as a laptop takes for the fan to clog up.

That, and if anything breaks, literally your only option is to send it back to Microsoft for a replacement which can take a couple of weeks. There are a couple of non-fatal hardware issues with my Surface Pro 4 that I'm basically just stuck with since it's my daily driver and I can't be without a replacement for however long it takes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

What's it like with mouse-heavy games, like say Civilization or Paradox stuff. I know you can use the sticks in "mouse mode" or something but that would send me insane after a few minutes. Or can you connect a mouse via Bluetooth?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Have you considered the Acer Predator 21x? It has a 21” screen, 64GB of RAM, 2TB of storage and two GTX1080s running in SLI so it should be large enough and powerful enough.

It does cost $9000 and weigh 8.5kg but hey, we all make sacrifices right :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Hey goons, looking to update my laptop. Might be a tough one because I'm:
a) a semi-pro video editor who hates Macs
b) also a travel blogger and on the road about 6 months of the year
c) on a budget
d) a gamer, though not a gamer gamer
e) Australian

So basically I'm looking for a reasonably powerful laptop for video editing (Premiere Pro), and one with a dGPU so I can do some gaming (I play a variety of games but no FPS/moba, and I don't expect to be running RDR2 either). But ideally something that's not ~gamer~ aesthetic, not bulky or heavy since I usually travel with carry-on only, and reasonably priced.

At the moment on the Dell refurb store they have XPS15-9560 models with i7-7700HQ / 16GB / 512GB SSD / GTX-1050 / 4K screen for $1900 AUD / $1300 USD. I know people like Dave2D keep stressing that the XPS15 isn't a gaming laptop, but specs like that seem to be pretty much in line with what I need. Does that seem like a good deal? I'm currently using a Surface Pro 6 (i5/8gb model), so I'd imagine most actual laptops will feel like an upgrade to that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Vinigre posted:

Is there an equivalent to these that also has a number pad, assuming the same budget and use case (WoW raiding at decent settings)?

Yup, an XPS 15 or X1 with a $5 USB numpad from Amazon

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I somehow lucked into the GeForce Now beta right at the start and used it for a while, since I travel about 10 months of the year and don't want to lug around a heavy gaming laptop. My experience was that it was fairly dependent on your internet connection, but as wolrah said it heavily depends on what games you're playing as well. I had no issues playing WoW on it, plus strategy games were obviously fine. But I can't imagine playing FPS games or anything reflex-dependent.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

oliveoil posted:

Anyone have a preference on Surface line of computers Dell XPS line?

I was thinking of getting my mom a 15inch 2-in-1 XPS.

She likes to do digital drawing and coloring and her current laptop needs to be replaced, so I thought it might make sense to replace it with something that can be used as a drawing tablet too.

Does that sound reasonable? Will either of the Surface or XPS line be better for that?

As someone who recently ditched a Surface Pro 6 for an XPS 15 (non touch), I honestly think the Surface feels like a much more premium device. The speakers are better, the screen is better (though it's glossy so you can't use it outside). The touchpad is better. It doesn't come loaded down with Dell crapware. The XPS comes with a crappy Killer Wifi card, which I've already had replaced once in a month.

But at the same time, I needed more horsepower for both video editing work and for gaming, and the much better battery life is a huge plus as well. I didn't really use the touch screen all that much, so it wasn't a huge miss.

If you have the budget, and aren't doing a lot of intensive work I'd probably recommend the Surface.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

bull3964 posted:

A new firmware update went out for the XPS 13 2:1 over Microsoft update and now my fingerprint sensor is super laggy after the computer wakes up. I wonder if it's widespread.

Said firmware update also completely disables undervolting to stop the Plundervolt vulnerability which is super loving lame

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

VorpalFish posted:

Wait what? Is this dell specific? Can you roll back? They can have my throttlestop when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

The one I'm talking about is Dell-specific, yeah, though the Plundervolt vulnerability affects all Intel CPUs. Dell have been progressively rolling out BIOS update 1.6 which disables undervolting. They've been using Windows Update so it's difficult to avoid.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I had that happen on my old surface pro 4, strong enough to bend the metal but not the screen glass. Thankfully there’s a microsoft store in town; when I took it there the staff all stared at it in horror and upgraded me to an SP6 on the spot

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

isndl posted:

Bending the metal sounds incredible; when my SP3 started bulging the screen glass started popping instead. I still haven't figured out how I'm supposed to dispose of it since there's no Microsoft stores in the area.

There was a weak spot in roughly the same spot where I'd dinged it while slipping down a metal staircase a couple of years prior, so I think that's why the metal went first rather than the glass. The worst part is that it happened while I was asleep - one night it clicked nicely into the type cover, the next morning it wouldn't fit.

I definitely had a photo but annoyingly I can't find it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Correct, you can’t undervolt anymore after the latest bios update.

However, the geniuses at Dell did a half-arsed job and after updating you can reset the bios settings to factory default and it reenables undervolting. So you can at least work around it for now