Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nickoten posted:

Funny enough, one of the notable exceptions is the Acer C720, which is what I just lost! :v:

This is actually convincing me that my replacement should in fact be another Chromebook, so now it's just a matter of figuring out what my best options are among those. I don't suppose anyone in here has any opinions on some of the lighter Chromebooks? I think the C720 was 11.6 inches, which was actually perfect for me. If I could get a faster version of that with similar build/keyboard/trackpad quality I'd be very happy.

I'm looking to replace my C720 too, and have my eye on this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOLVPA

I was so happy with the C720 and got so much use out of it, why stray from the same known good brand/model/family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hey thread, what's the best Chromebook to get these days? I loved the hell out of my C710 but it's dying :rip:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Obviously whichever samsung one is newest is the best. Also put flash on it.

Triggered

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Atomizer posted:

What's your budget, what functionality do you need? Rugged, touchscreen, backlit keyboard, convertible, etc.?

Asus Flip C302, Samsung CB Pro are two new high-end (for CBs) devices with mid-range (~$500) prices. The Dell 13, Lenovo Thinkpad 13 and Acer CB 14 For Work are your rugged, business-class devices.

Thanks for those. I don't need a flip screen or even touchscreen, backlit would be nice, but the only key items for me are decently durable, decent screen, and nutso battery life. The C710 was perfect for my uses. I'd prefer an Intel processor too, not sure if they still make Chromebooks with ARM chips or not. Hopefully I can keep this under $400-500 CAD?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Atomizer posted:

So I guess we're looking at $300-350US. It might be tough to find you a new model in that price range, from a Canadian retailer. I'll at least offer some suggestions (that would apply without any purchasing restrictions) to get you on the right track. You can get the HP CB 13 with the Pentium CPU (which should be just fine, with the best battery life) here for $350 and a high-res display plus backlit keyboard (I have one of these with the m7.) The Lenovo Thinkpad 13 CB is nice all-around but you need to upgrade to the FHD display and that brings it to ~$480, before any discounts you may be able to find. You should check ebay.ca for these and the other models I mentioned because you're going to have better luck there finding [used or refurbished] models closer to your price range.

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I would definitely be willing to stretch that budget a bit, maybe even up to $700 CAD (about $500 USD), if I find a really good one. Does that budget difference result in significantly better choices? Also, we have access to these "parcel services" across the border in the US, I live only about 20 min from the border, so I actually semi regularly order stuff from US retailers and just drive across to pick it up. Again, I feel like that might make selection a bit better?

Thanks again, this is super helpful!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Atomizer posted:

The ability to buy from US retailers is a huge plus (because while I can give people recommendations, they often don't have access to the same selection I do if they're in another country) as is the stretched budget. There are plenty of entry-level CBs in the $200-300US price range, new, like the upgraded version of the one you have, an Acer c740 but while it's only $250US, it's a very basic device. The CPU and RAM are adequate, but it has a small, disappointing HD display, no touchscreen or any other special features. You wouldn't really be making a huge upgrade; it'd be one thing to recommend that as someone's first CB, but once you know you like using them and you're looking to upgrade, you might as well spend a little more money and get something nice, right? That's how I justified getting this Pixel LS, which I still use every day over two years later.

That being said, it seems like a lot of the CBs I used to recommend are discontinued, like the Toshiba CB2 and the Dell CB 13. For $500US you can get the Lenovo Thinkpad CB 13 with the Celeron and FHD touchscreen, which now appears to be the max-specced model as they don't seem to offer the i3 or i5 any more; this would be a good option if you like the build (and keyboard) of Thinkpads. (You can also find existing stock of the other models if you search for the model numbers listed here.) There is occasionally the bottom-specced (Celeron, HD non-touch display) Thinkpad 13 CB available refurbished on Woot for ~$165, but even at that ridiculously low price I've been avoiding it because of the poor display (HD is OK at ~11", not >13".)

The Acer CB for Work is an alternative, with a rugged build and spill-resistant (draining) keyboard.

Beyond that, in the $500 range you could choose between either of these two CBs and be happy with whichever you chose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqMC7-uJzUg

Note that there's a Samsung Plus with an ARM CPU and the Pro with an Intel CPU; it sounds like you'd prefer the latter. There are supposed to be multiple configurations of the Asus Flip C302 (at least 3 different CPUs, 2 RAM capacities, 2-3 SSDs) but there are only one or two available at the moment (Pentium and m3.)

Alternately, if you just want to go with something cheap but nice, the regular Acer CB 14 (not the "for work" model, which is completely different) is available refurbished for ~$185. It's got a nice metal build and an OK CPU, with a good FHD display (but this model is also available with a lesser HD display, which you should be on the lookout for to avoid it for the same reasons as with the Lenovo above.) While I consider the Acer 14 a "nice" option, it's still lower-end in terms of performance so I generally recommend it as an "intro to Chromebooks" device, but it's still an option for you as it's a good deal at that price.

Holy cow dude, I honestly can't thank you enough for this kind of insanely helpful information. I've been out of the Chromebook game for a while and you're catching me right back up.

I've been reading a lot of reviews and I'm definitely leaning towards the Asus Flip C302. Any idea where Android app support stands on that one? I've read a few different things, but it seems that Google is delayed with that and the hardware will more than support it when it's out?

Again, seriously, thank you!!!

e: I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Asus one, reviews are stellar and it looks super nice. B&H photo ships to Canada for free which ends up being cheaper than buying it IN Canada!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yo hi hello, I'd really appreciate phasing out stuff like the master race meme. Thank you for your time!