Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So I'm looking for a new laptop now, my current one is from 2009.

My price range is 600-1000(ish) and I'll be using it for mostly Office functions with some higher-end 3D modeling. Probably light and infrequent gaming. So, I'm currently looking at this:

ASUS N550JK-DS71T

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAA5BSS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's an i7-4xxx with a 1600x800" IPS screen, which basically covers the only two things that this thread really cares about other than not having an SSD.

I was looking at ThinkPads but everything that was catching my eye was at 1366x768 resolution (my laptop from 09 has that.)

Suggestions, input, comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

dissss posted:

Three comments:
- Battery life is awful on those (up to 5 hours translates to perhaps half that when you are actually doing anything)
- The keyboards on those Asus models are pretty bad
- The screens are very, very glossy with no anti-glare properties at all (like you'd get in a Macbook air for example)

If those things don't matter then its probably not a bad deal

Upon closer inspection the keyboard issue is obvious just in the pictures. I'll probably go with an OP suggestion and get a ThinkPad T440 model with similar specs.

Thanks!

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
There are probably alternate solutions, but yeah at least on my laptop I can remove the wireless card if I choose.

What's your laptop make/model?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

He hasn't bought one yet, he's looking for recommendations.

Ah, guess I should learn to read better.

So I would look at something like a Dell Inspiron 3000 series from Dell Outlet. The bottom uses philips-head screws, and the panel will open to reveal the RAM and the wireless card. The antenna cables should snap loose just like a 9V battery has snap on terminals. You should be able to unscrew the wireless card using the same screwdriver you used to open the access panel up.

Still post the specs before you buy so someone more qualified can help guide/inform you.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I went ahead and ordered a used T420 in good condition. I'm using a Dell Studio 1555 from 2009, so I think even the Sandy Bridge i5 and 1600x900 screen will be a dramatic improvement in performance that will fit my budget well.

I'll just build a desktop for high-end stuff.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

fuf posted:

I thought the complaints about the T440 trackpad must have been exaggerated, but it really is terrible. Clicking makes a loud-rear end clickety-clackety noise and makes it feel like a flimsy piece of poo poo. Also the cursor jumps wildly every time I click so I'm loving up all over the place.

I'm super disappointed. I'm thinking of swapping it for an X1 Carbon but it looks like they might have the same trackpad?

Is your driver up to date?

Here's the latest: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds034647

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Rexxed posted:

I'm thinking about getting one of those for work to replace my 2005 acer which amazingly still works fine (but is a WinXP machine with a turion and 1gb of ram), so I'd like to hear how it works out for you.

I bought a used T420 off of Amazon and it's been pretty great to me so far. I'm pretty happy with it.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I just wanted to say, I finally got my 250GB Samsung 840 EVO installed in my T420, and it is seriously like night and day. I can't believe I questioned buying one in the first place.

The next machine I build is getting one of these suckers too. I'm so pleased with it.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So I'm looking for a laptop that has a touchscreen so I can take notes on it in my professional school program.

I know that many have recommended the Surface Pro 3. I am partial to Lenovo products (my current machine being a Thinkpad T420), and so I've been checking out the Yoga 3 Pro. I was just wondering if anyone else had recommendations, given that my primary use will be regular computing, OneNote note taking, and the occasional high-end steam game. My budget is $1000-$2500.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So a conventional laptop with a touch panel is probably the best bet huh?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

You have a super high budget; maybe a traditional laptop and a Surface 3 for notes? :shrug:

If I just split it up like that, would an iPad or SP3 (or just plain old Surf 3) be the better selection?

system protocol posted:

If you like the Surface Pro but prefer Lenovo, I would be doing some research on the Lenovo "Helix 2". Well within your price range.

I just looked at the Helix 2, I dunno. It's alright, but since it seems like splitting up functionality is the more reasonable thing, I might as well consider an iPad or some other true tablet for the price/money savings.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3 are different, yeah. Surface 3 is basically the SP3 but smaller, no fan, and only three positions for the stand.

iPad versus S3 I guess it depends. iPad has way more apps (mitigated, depending on how you think about it, by the fact that the S3 does run full Windows) and as a consumption device it's the best tablet out there. You can buy styluses for it but as a note-taking device the Surface 3 wins out. In the Windows tablet thread in IYG, Ixian raved about his until the thread went to poo poo, that might help you make a better choice.

Personally, I'm a lazy butt that would much rather have one device but splitting seems the way to go for you and maybe most people.

Thank you so much for that link. I think that reading that has mostly sold me on the S3 for my specific note-taking application. I do wonder, with the S3 is OneNote tethered to that stupid Office365 yearly subscription thing, or is it -possible- to install Office 2010 on it?

e: Do you think I really need to upgrade from my T420 to a better laptop solution? I have my note-taking needs filled by the S3... do I really stand to gain much by upgrading laptops now vs. waiting another 2-3 years to upgrade?

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 10, 2015

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
What specific models of Panasonic and Dell?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
My friend recently bought an Alienware 13x but nearly pulled the trigger on a Sager because Dell took his money and didn't email him back for a week or something.

You will probably get more for your money from a Sager.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I upgraded my Surface 3 from 8.1 to 10 and have only had it lock up one time.

The interface is superior to 8.1, imo.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Just chiming back in to say that I love my Surface 3 for annotating PDFs/Powerpoints.

Save your cash and don't get the Pro 3 if that's all you wanna use it for.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Is there any reason why T440p laptops should be under 500 used? Aren't they literally last year's model?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Laptop Megathread: There is still no good reason not to buy a thinkpad

T420 checking in here.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Let's say I have a T440p with a 1366x768 screen. Should I pick up a 1080p screen off eBay or just leave it as is? :/

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So I put a 1080p screen and the three button touchpad on my T440p. Are there any other mods/upgrades I should look into?

PS: Without the three-button touchpad, I think this sucker would make me lose my mind. gently caress the no button touchpad, seriously. Can't believe they thought that was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Has anyone had to remove the heatsink and apply fresh thermal paste to a gaming laptop before? My buddy was having a weird issue that suggested overheating on his i7-4720HQ laptop... couldn't find any hardware issues, so I just removed the heatsink and the thermal paste that was on it was almost like silly putty in consistency. Cleaned it off, applied arctic silver and reassembled and it's running normal again.

I've just never seen this in a laptop before, but I've also never bought a true quad core laptop with separate GPU so I'm not very familiar with overheating and heat transfer on them.

It's an ASUS ROG GL551J, for whatever that's worth.