Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
So I've gone back about 20 pages and I can't find any real answers to this question. I'm looking for a small-ish laptop (14-15") that's nice and light with a good graphics card. The Razer seemed perfect, but apparently people are having issues with theirs? Has anyone got one that can give me an "Is it worth the price?" answer and if not if there something around the same form factor. I'll be lugging it around everywhere for work, and if i'm buying a new laptop I may as well replace my aging home computer, so two birds/one stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
So, I took the plunge and bought myself an MSI GE40. Ordered it at 4pm Thursday afternoon, and it was in my hands 1pm the next day. Thanks NewEgg!

I wanted a smaller form factor laptop so it would fit in my bag and I could carry it around without having 10 lbs of extra crap dragging my shoulders down. So far, it really fits the bill, even with the powerpack on top it doesn't weight more than 6-7lbs total. Very convenient! The build quality leaves a little to be desired, the screen is a touch too matte so it sometimes washes out unless you're staring at it head-on but I mainly use it plugged into a monitor for games anyway so it doesn't affect me so much. The plastic around the screen feels slightly flimsy, bus considering how small it is the whole thing feels really nice overall. Solid, but light.

Power-wise, if you're playing games it heats up a lot and sounds pretty loud. The speakers are ludicrously tinny so if you don't have the settings adjusted just right or have the volume down it can sometimes get washes out, thankfully there's a nice bit of software on there for adjusting audio settings like an equalizer so I have it sounding decent when it's not going through a pair of powered speakers. Battery life was just a touch over 90 minutes for me playing Skyrim, and about 10 hours doing some web development stuff in work although Wifi and Bluetooth were off and brightness was down to about 50%. Very impressed with that, though, it really packs a punch for such a small unit.

Performance is great all around. I have the 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD model, so Windows 8 boots up in about 10 seconds and I still get a nice chunk of space to store files. 8GB of RAM is fine for now, although there was an issue with the Killer network drivers that come pre-installed where it would tank my RAM after about an hour playing an online game or downloading torrents. Turned out to be a horrifying memory leak, but a removal and update to the latest drivers fixed it and even when playing games it never goes about 50%. It's one of the i7 Haswell ships too, so even when i've got a ton of stuff open doing it never drags, and games run smooth as butter. It plays a graphically modded Skyrim on Ultra, 1920x1080 and never drops below about 40fps so I am stoked with that.

Overall, it was more than worth the $1300 I paid. It's small enough to be a work laptop and carry it around without problems, and when plugged into an external monitor it's a great gaming platform too.