Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I find the Synaptics trackpads just as good as Apples perhaps I'm just sucker for chiral scroll. Although I've only used one for all I know they have cheaper shittier ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Can we please stop posting until the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus gets a release date/pricing that'd be nice. I mean seriously gently caress you Samsung, if you're going to show off something you should have the decency to tell me when it's going to be out as well as for how much.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sendo posted:

I don't think I'm going to ever be able to prevent myself from laughing every time I see that stupid name, it's something you would expect to see in a topic title here.

Shutup my Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus Platinum Edition is going to be the bee's knees.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

fookolt posted:

We've got the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus Platinum Tigershark Hydro Copper SE (3200x1800), Asus Zenbook Infinity (2560x1440), Fujitsu Lifebook UH90/L (3200x1800), Dell XPS 11 (2560x1440), Acer Aspire S7 (2560x1440), and god knows what else.

You're right that these are only a few laptops, but at least they're at the top of the bill now.

Which ones have a release date/price.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Good now the only downside is that dogshit new clickpad and the even stupider keyboard layout.

There's no problem it's your own fault for not using the nipple.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

I only use the nipple. But now the nipple has click buttons only, and they moved all the buttons farther away.

Well that does look unfortunate.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HA I found you, you sneaky sneaky Samsung Stupid Plus bastard. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NP915S3G-K01US-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Mineral/dp/B00DVFMDUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1375465126&sr=1-1 but Duck and Cover that's the lite scroll down and what do you see the plus! While it does not seem to have it's own listing on Amazon you can apparently pre order it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus is announced for August 18th (next saturday)

It's basically a 13" macbook air with Windows 8 driver support. And a 3,200x1,800 pixel QHD+ screen. So it's basically a windows native 13" macbook air retina.

With touch. With IPS. I mean, look at that sexy viewing angle. It's a macbook air with all the new improvements.

$1300

Several people in here post about Samsung 7, 9 series, buy them, and never return, that's a pretty strong recommendation for a device.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP940X3G-K03US

I for one have been enjoying idiots trying to compare it to the Macbook Pro. Never read Engadget/TheVerge comments so amazingly stupid. Also everything I've read puts it at $1400 well $1399 because apparently people round down.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 11, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It's more of a Retina competitor in terms of battery life and screen. They should have went with 8GB by default, and a larger HD/SSD. 128GB doesn't get you far with Windows 8 + a restore partition. Nice thing about the Air is only about 14-15GB are taken up by the OS, etc out of the box.

Apple should give the rMBP a 256GB SSD in the base config as well, they basically had to offer 8GB because the onboard graphics take over a gig of RAM by themselves. Hopefully the Windows 8 drivers for those QHD graphics doesn't do that.

The other thing is did they get the trackpad right yet? Apple is still the only one who can get a keyboard and trackpad that isn't poo poo in the same machine.

I wish everyone would just use Synaptic it's pretty much on par with Apple (at least the one I used it was kind of small though) , but noooo lets all be cheap shits. While Apple does gently caress some things up (last time I had a mac I went through uhhh 3ish power cords? Yeah the magsafes are flawed.) they at least put effort into pretty much everything. PC makers? Love cheaping out on trackpads, graphical representation for FN keys is uh bad (HAHAHA Asus why does it go from right to left to turn something up that's TERRIBLE HAHAHA) , just to give some examples. Heck I had a Lenovo with the headphone port on the front.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Dell is doing their damnedest to upsell the stupid requirement to their buisness customers. I think Dell single handedly shot themselves in the foot with this one, I caught this ad in the elevator at work today. What it tells our CIO (who also rides in the elevator) is that your employees will use this expensive screen to screw around on company time and draw frogs and giant insects, rather than getting work done (:wtc:) Yes that is a giant animated frog they're using to sell the XPS 12 to business buyers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypLHZh6GeNE

I'm going to be stuck with an awful Latitude E55xx series work laptop forever :smithicide:

The samsung series 9 ($1400) is an i7 with touchscreen (with double the resolution) and if you compare it against it's nearest i7 T440s competitor ($1263) the price difference is only $137

The Ativ plus whatever is an i5. The older Samsung 9 is an i7, but doesn't have touch. This of course could be wrong but that's my understanding of them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MatCauthon posted:

I'm a senior in college looking for a laptop that I can use for writing papers, doing some GIS work, some light research/stats work with programs like NodeXL, and the usual video watching, gif making, playing video games on Steam type of stuff. Right now I have a 2009 Sony Vaio all-in-one desktop that has been chugging along pretty well, but it's starting to slow down and lag a lot in the past few months. While I was planning on waiting for a Haswell laptop, but I really like the looks and specs of this one. Would I be better served waiting for the Haswells to get released or would this be a worthwhile purchase?

It has a Haswell. Also yes no maybe. What kind of video games?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 15, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MatCauthon posted:

:doh: Mostly games like DOTA 2, LoL, Borderlands 2, etc.

I've already replaced the hard drive and graphics card, so I'm kind of reluctant to drop more money on this PC. At this point I can afford to get a new computer, presuming it'll last me ~2 years of school/work/travel/etc, so I just want to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks for the advice though!

Should be fine as stated earlier you might not be able to play at the native resolution. I'm no expert but Dota 2 and LOL aren't exactly demanding.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 15, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I managed to get it in my shopping cart some time a go I wonder what will happen if I go through and order it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Erkenntnis posted:

A buddy of mine just linked me this as a possible purchase for himself. How can I shame him out of it?

I like the dragon.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DrDork posted:

Because not everything you do is going to be pixel-doubled? You only pixel double when you're dealing with a relatively small amount of data and don't need the space. The resolution opens the door to a lot of things which, while I will readily admit are probably not useful for grandma or Bob who needs his glasses to see the keys on the keyboard, a lot of us would still find nice, even if you wouldn't. If nothing else, it's more real-estate to do with what you want, vis a vis multiple open documents, windows, etc.

Also, if you've never seen the difference between a 3200x1800 picture on a 3200x1800 screen and that same image downscaled to 1600x900 on a 1600x900 screen...well you'll probably never understand why people would want it. Also, at $1400 with otherwise not terribly impressive features, it's pretty clear that the Ativ is not a "normal" laptop and you're not going to see screens like that in "normal" poo poo-box laptops for a long time--that screen is why you buy the Ativ. poo poo, most "normal" laptops are still rocking 1336x768's because people are dumb and think that's "good enough" because that's all Best Buy stocks under $1000.

e; The rMBP is so expensive because it's Apple's top product, and honestly doesn't have a whole lot to do with the extra cost of the screen. It costs that much because it can. You can make similar complaints about pretty much any $2000+ laptop: basically no one actually needs them, no matter what their hardware specs are. Doesn't stop people from buying them because they want 'em, though.

I know I'm getting the Ativ because of that screen. I also got a good deal on it ($1215 Amazon had it at that price for preorder at one point).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Because text is clear enough as it is at, say, 1080p on a 14" screen at a typical desk view distance so that there's essentially no practical benefit in readability. And if you keep making text smaller, at a certain point the text is unusable because its physical size is unusably small regardless of how sharp it is unless you routinely get up there to a foot away from the screen to read it. So you can't actually fit anything more on the screen at 220+ ppi versus 150 ppi since at 120-150 ppi you can already scale text down to an unreadable size without being constrained by resolution.

You can say that high-res images are 'prettier' on a high-res display but the usability argument really doesn't pan out, especially since with subpixel rendering most text is already perfectly readable at far lower resolutions than what's more or less standard these days.

Laptop screen (actually displays in general) are crap this one won't be crap. My Zenbook? Crap. My old Lenovo? Crap (people sure acted like it was good). My Sony? Crap. Apple puts decent displays in their laptops, however you sure as gently caress can't expect that from any Windows computer. So you're comparing the crap almost always put into a computer with a display designed to impress.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

renzor posted:

Anyone know when the ATIV 9 Plus actually plans to ship? I know they've been available for pre-order since August...

September 10.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hey Lenovo how about having a good display and a track nipple? I mean if you had done that I might have canceled my Samsung Stupid Name Plus order, which Samsung apparently neglected to give Amazon any to sell.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Naffer posted:

There are some synthetic benchmarks here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-4200U-Notebook-Processor.93563.0.html and http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-4500U-Notebook-Processor.93562.0.html

It's kind of amazing that's it's halfway through September and there aren't any more Haswell ultrabooks available than there were back in July. Wasn't the Samsung 9 Plus supposed to be for sale at this point?

It is; mine should arrive today.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Here's my review of the Samsung Ativ 9 Book Plus Deep Fried Edition. Are you ready? Windows 8 is poo poo. Samsung installs garbage on it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 14, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Is it just the new start screen or is there more wrong with it? What's the super high-res display like to work with?

The whole making the control panel hard to find without having the startmenu. It's a dumb lovely system but seems to be fine once you install classicshell.

Progressive JPEG posted:

Is the keyboard unbearably shallow or not too bad? Does the display resolution hurt performance for casual use?

Keyboard is fine. Depends are you a Chrome user? Chrome doesn't want to scale text properly. The text is either blurry or your Chrome UI will be small and you have to set each page to zoom.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Windows 8 is a fun gauge to see how inefficiently people used Windows.

Opening the Control Panel with a mouse, crazy.

Windows 8 was designed by idiots for an imaginary person. Going to the charm bar selecting search, selecting settings is not a good system. Also it's slower than going to the start menu and selecting control panel. gently caress! I am so inefficient, got to get my keyboard shortcuts down.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Whoa amazing who needs these new fangled graphical interfaces anyway? gently caress that poo poo command line ALL THE WAY!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

It's a dumb lovely system but seems to be fine once you install classicshell.

Sometimes I mention useful things within my posts. Thanks Apple for two finger scroll being the opposite of what makes sense. Why do companies insist on copying stuff that Apple does wrong while being sure to ignore the stuff Apple does right? Is there a way to change the touch controls (not the touchpad) so that it scrolls the direction my finger is traveling?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HAHAHAHAHA, bravo Samsung, bravo. Apparently Samsung installed a program that complains that my resolution is set very high on the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus Tastycakes Edition. How can you as a PC manufacture be so loving clueless? Did they not test the final version with crapware on it?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sports posted:

Well, a switch to that high of a resolution may pose problems to people who can't read the smaller text. Does Windows 8 fully scale (at full resolution) to WQXGA or does it just give you really small text?

It isn't Windows complaining it's Samsungs own crapware which they probably put on every computer. If you keep text at 100% yes it'll be really small.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I don't know about upcoming competitors but the MBA is still king in build quality and battery life. Support is Apple support - at least you get to talk to a real person in the U.S.

I think the new Ativ Book 9 Plus (is that the name) sports like, a 3200x1800 display, which beats the MBA. But Windows scaling sucks poo poo. Battery life on that guy should be good and build quality decent, but if you need it now, you can't really go wrong with the Air.

Buy it from the Windows store if you do, they sell laptops without the crapware.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Silly poors complaining about a computer that they wish they could afford. Does it come in gold plated?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's been a week with the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus More Shitware please and I think it's time for some final thoughts. Holy loving poo poo the defaults and software that come with this are down right terrible. Oh and don't you dare loving try to uninstall it. I try to uninstall one thing, OH SORRY your brightness controls no longer work. Alright fine but apparently my keyboard backlight settings need another program (yes I totally need my keyboard to glow thanks defaults for setting it on). So I reinstall that program, guess what jackass? This program will gently caress with your battery settings, (it's got it's own unchangeable/not easy to change defaults) enjoy disabling ambient light again. You think that's all? No gently caress you know that pretty display you've been looking at? Yeah well once you unplug it we're going to muck with your contrast to make your colors look darker/murky. It's okay let's just hop online see what the problem is... oh thanks internet yes I've already figured out the ambient sensor and general brightness. Oh looks like Intel has some great battery saving feature that's to blame lets just turn that off. Oh didn't work, well enjoy! I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Companies want you to believe they can compete with Apple, but they don't seem to understand that includes software that isn't complete rear end. The computer came with Plants verses Zombie (no not for free you silly goose) for fucks sake.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HA suck it Samsung you worthless piece of poo poo. Bye bye "LCDModeChecker" in program data>Samsung. Hey you know what would be super neat Samsung, not having poo poo like that in the first place I sort of like my display to look good even when on the battery.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

So, I popped into Bestbuy today, and FYI it's about 50/50 Haswell to Ivy Bridge. Anywho, I tested out a bunch of screens and they're all awful. Getting paranoid about getting the y510p. Do all laptop screens suck in comparison to HDTV's and smartphones?

The Apple ones aren't bad, everything else that isn't retina seems to be crap.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Local Resident posted:

What's the point of these new machines with displays > 1080p? Does that even scale OK on a small screen if you're running Windows?

Lenovo is bringing out this thing (new Yoga) with a bonkers resolution of 3200x1800 on a 13" display:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-2-pro/

So they stuff in a Haswell processor for increased battery life, and then throw four times the pixels at the graphics system of a machine that's supposed to be ultra portable and replace your tablet. I don't get it.

It looks pretty.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Doctor Albatross posted:

I bought a 15" Macbook Pro back in 2010(?) with the intention of using it for my film projects and general use. It did the trick just fine and it's still running nicely, but as I'm no longer doing film and will be going to university next year, I'm looking at something lighter and with lesser specs - I feel like I'll be wasting such a laptop if I'm only really using it for taking notes, Netflix and web browsing.

The Chromebook Pixel seems to be an appropriate replacement so far, especially since it seems to be going for the Macbook audience in the first place. Seeing as the swap will be done sometime in December or January, would this probably be a good time to pick one up, or is there something around the corner worth waiting for?

I see no reason at all to get the Chromebook Pixel. You want a retina screen and thin light? Get a Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus stupid loving name edition, one of the Asus Zenbooks that are coming out, or the Yoga 2. If you do get the Samsung Ativ Book 9 I'd suggest the Windows store, I'm curious what shitware programs won't be installed if you buy it through them. The Pixel always struck me more as a "look at what we can do" and less of a product anyone would ever want.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

I bought literally the exact same model you're looking at yesterday. It ships next Monday. If you're willing to wait a bit, I'll post a review in the thread. I'm very sensitive to screen quality, so that will be my focus. Regardless, there's 30 day return period with no restocking fee and they will give you the return label, so there's 0 risk to trying it out.

Just download classic shell: http://www.classicshell.net/ or start8: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Classic shell is free and Start8 is 5 bucks. It allows you to boot to desktop and you'll also have the start button. Basically it'll look and feel exactly like Windows 7.

You'd think with the popularity of these products Microsoft would relent and stop making GBS threads up their OS. Start8 is pretty sweet though. Seriously mandatory transparency? What were they thinking.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 23, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I hear Adobe programs scale poorly with PC retina screens. The UI will be small. As far as build quality goes I'm happy with my Samsung Ativ Book Plus, it seems much nicer then the Zenbook/Sony I previously had. If you plan on using it on battery you'll want to delete LCDmodechecker (which will totally gently caress up your colors in the name of saving power.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'm getting pretty close to deciding between a Macbook Air and something like the ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E. The 13" size, thinness and SSD are really appealing for both. I guess it comes down to preference of OS, really, doesn't it? I've been told by friends "just get an ex-lease Dell or something", but something with a nice metal body and being capable of 720p/1080p video on the laptop or connected to an HDTV is really preferable. Doing that and being able to carry around something fairly small and light in a backpack for uni would be perfect. Is there anything out there I might be ignoring out of brand preference / being generally ignorant?

I was unimpressed by my Zenbook, but then again it did have the habit of getting hit by things. Retina displays rule though even with the hit and miss and miss support of them on Windows.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Doctor Albatross posted:

Okay, well I think I'll pick up a MacBook Air, then - after asking on Facebook for any suggestions as to Windows alternatives, I received either suggestions to get the Air or grumbles about even considering buying an Apple product, although not a single alternative was suggested by said grumblers. Heading to the shop tomorrow to take a look, thanks for the advice all!

Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus, the new Zenbook, the Yoga 2. Oh there's a Sony one too Sony Pro maybe?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Naffer posted:

No. Old programs that don't scale properly just either look tiny or scale in a really weird way or inconsistent way that makes them unusable. I'm actually pretty happy with 1600*900 at 100% dpi scaling though. You get the same screen real estate as 3800*1800 @ 200% scaling without all the bugs. Since it's exactly half the vertical and horizontal resolution, there shouldn't be any interpolation.

There's no way it's fixed yet. Lenovo just acknowledged the problem on their forums and I doubt this fix will come very quickly. It is apparently related to the panel using a clear subpixel to appear brighter to save power at the expense of some color reproduction. A Lenovo rep pointed out a "high performance" option in their energy manager program that fixes it temporarily (until reboot or sleep), which means it should hopefully be solved eventually. That said, I didn't notice anything until I put it next to a different IPS display.
I've attached a photo below. The left is the yoga at 50% brightness on default settings against an IPS Dell 2005fpw display and the right is the same but with "high performance mode" on. Subject matter: Big Bird bing image search.

I had a similar problem with my Samsung and so you should track down whatever service is loving with your display and get rid of it. For me there was something called lcdmodechecker that turned colors to poo poo when on battery (the yellow was what made me notice it in the first place). I have another thing that once in awhile decides to dim my monitor when I'm playing fullscreen video. Hey companies please stop giving me lovely "features" and just give me a plain computer that works thanks.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Never buy a loving Samsung laptop the software is utter bafflingly poo poo. I just updated my touchpad and it seems to have gotten rid of middle mouse tap as well as none insane two finger scroll. Every time I start to like the Samsung Ativ Book 99999999999999999999999999 edition it finds a way to piss me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Anyone have an old Samsung touchpad driver? I wish to have my two finger scroll go the correct logical way and the new version does not wish to give me that option.