Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limpy101
Apr 25, 2007
intelligent, just not atm.
Hello.

I've gone through the top posts in the thread and did a bit of research, but what I fail to find is reliable information regarding performance for the laptops I have in mind.

To put things into perspective, I'm looking into getting an Ultrabook for web development. I code for the .net stack, and as such the laptop in question would need to cope with running some version of iis, some version of sql server, vs 2012 and a multitude of browser windows. I'm not interested in gaming, but netflix and the like would see heavy usage. Also, as I tend to attend conferences and the like, portability and (to some extent) battery life are always pluses.

I'm currently looking at the Acer Aspire s7 , the Asus UX32A(as I can't seem to find the ux31 prime anywhere), the samsung series 9, or the new samsung ativ book 9 plus. Also considering the Dell XPS13, but I have to admit to not favouring that one, as it seems to come with Ubuntu and have a lower resolution screen.

My questions are (hopefully somebody can provide some information)

1. Is wanting to use an Ultrabook for development a bad idea at the moment? Is there anything performance-related that would be unable to cope with my requirements?
2. Which one of the laptops I listed above would you guys recommend, and where can I see box contents? Unboxing videos on youtube are utterly confusing - for example I've looked at Acer Aspire s7 unboxing videos, and one of them had the extra battery and even a carrying pouch, whereas the other ones had no mention of either.
3. Am I better off waiting for the new Intel generation to come out in June, and how long will it be before I can reliably purchase a high end Ultrabook powered by one? Ideally I'd want to purchase something by early August at the latest.
4. Is there a much better option that I am missing?

Thanks for all the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU