Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I was hoping that someone would be able to recommend my wife a laptop? I plan to sue a my desktop for gaming so all it has to do is browse/office/itunes etc and stream/output video at decent quality. She would like an optical drive and windows 8 if possible, but isn't fussed about a touchscreen. HDMI out would be a good bonus. She does move it around a bit (trains etc.) so something lightish would be nice as well, she certainly doesn't want some 17 inch behemonth.

I'm sure I could have found a good option from the thread but one complication is that we're in the UK so availability (and pricing!) is a bit different. Is 4Gig of ram enough? Would like to get in under £600, less than that is a bonus.

Edit: Forgot to mention can't really wait for shiny new chips, last laptop is dying rapidly.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Further to my post ealier what is the threads opinion on the Dell XPS range, thinking of picking up a refurbished 14 inch.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this Dell for my wife to stream/output video, browse, travel from time to time etc. It's a bit big but not too fussed about that. Also it says nothing about graphics, will ti come with HD 4000 on board?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Revol posted:

^-- That link doesn't work. In fact, it made me lose video and flicker for a few seconds, what the hell?

Sorry bout that, think it might have gone. There was nothing dodgy behind it apart from a Dell website. Anyway this one is broadly similar http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=70e57894. Particularly wondering what 4GB of ram is like with windows 8.

Edit: One I was looking at reappeared http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=70fe1ac3.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 12, 2013

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Brut posted:

I can't tell for sure because I'm too lazy to figure out how to let me access the euro outlet specifically.

Crap, sorry about that, and thanks for the tip on RAM as well.

Main thing I want to do is decide whether this something like this is worth the £200 extra over the one below it, given that the main things she will probably do is watch movies etc. She probably doesn't need the graphics so I'm wodering trying to work out how much quicker the processor will seem and if the higher resolution is worth it. Is the build quaility that much better?

XPS 15 - L521x
•XPS 15 - L521x
•Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3210M (2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz) (1GB Graphics and TPM)
•Windows® 8
•4 GB DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz SDRAM Memory (1 DIMM)
•32GB mSATA3 SSD for Minicard Slots
•500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
•8X DVD+/-RW Drive Slot Load
•Display : 15.6 Inch Full High Definition (1080p) True Life WLED Display and Skype-Certified Hi-Def Webcam
•Back Up Media Not Included
•Windows® 8 64bit (Englilsh)
•Wireless : Dell Wireless 1901 802.11a/b/g/n + Bluetooth v4.0
•Battery : Primary 9-cell 65W/HR
•Internal Backlit Keyboard
•Palmrest

•Inspiron 15z - 5523 Ultrabook
•Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3317U (1.70 GHz, 3MB cache)
•Windows® 8
•6 GB DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz (2 DIMMs)
•32 GB mSATA SSD
•500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
•8X DVD+/- RW Drive
•Display : 15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with Truelife
•Back Up Media Not Included
•Windows® 8 64bit (Englilsh)
•Wireless : Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE
•LCD Back Cover : Moon Silver
•Battery : Primary 6-cell 44W/HR LI-ION
•Internal Qwerty Backlit Keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Revol posted:

If she is going to travel, you want something a little more sturdy. That would eliminate the Inspiron. But the XPS isn't all that travel-friendly, weighing in at almost six pounds. Maybe take a look at an XPS 13 instead?

Are Inspirons pretty flimsy? She quite likes having an optical drive, I was thinking about a 14z although the processor is pretty crummy. Might just opt for the 13 and insist she gets a usb optical.

Edit: vvvv Fair enough, think XPs is probably the best bet, thanks for all your help.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 12, 2013