Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

From the OP:

quote:

Unless you're in the military or work on an oil rig your use case does not represent a good case for a gaming laptop.

My Asus G73 is three and a half years old now, and it isn't keeping up with games like it used to. I am in the military, and I end up moving around quite a bit in my job, so I usually end up dropping quite a bit on my gaming laptop.

I was directed here from the Gaming PC thread, but to be completely honest I am not well-versed in the magics that make these things work. I know basic terms, and I can upgrade my RAM (I think) but taking a look at the mass of info on the OP got me nowhere. Also, I tried reading the Wiki page on Haswell microarchitecture, and I think my brain melted a bit.

I'm thinking of getting one after the Holiday rush, having it shipped home and moving my stuff over once I get back from my current overseas stint. Aside from this digging a hole in my funds (which I am prepared for), anything else I should know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

You've got the gist of it. The Y410p is constantly going on sale and is pretty great for a "gaming" laptop, it should last you at least a couple of years. Be sure to use the B&N link in the OP if you decide to get one.

You should also know that it's recommended to get an SSD for your laptop. Most laptops these days (including the Y410p) are coming with platter HDDs, but it has always been pretty easy to buy an SSD and upgrade your laptop yourself. This is basically an extra $200 added to the price of a laptop right now, if you want really good performance

Just checked out the price, and holy wow. I bought my Asus for $1,500 three years ago, and I feel like a chump now. $750 for the y410p, and that's on Ebay. A 510p on Amazon goes for about 1,100, still far and away better pricing than what I've been used to for laptops in this range.

Going to register for that lenovo site after work today, and see about getting a new laptop. At that price I could probably spring for a new one for the missus, as well. Hers is going on six years, but she uses it more for her art projects and such, so it doesn't need as much juice as mine trying to run Farcry 3, so it should be quite a bit cheaper.

Seriously, thank you goons for helping me out. This is a vast improvement over my usual buying habits.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 17, 2013

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Just ordered my 410p with a two year + accidental damage warranty, as I forsee it travelling around a lot with me, and my current laptop has a busted DVD drive, broken lights and cracked case. My darling Asus g73, it's been a long run.

Will be getting it once I get back to the states. This, plus my rent, basically has totaled this paycheck, but it's so worth it.

At full cost, it was around $1,400. With the e-coupon, I paid $963, counting taxes.

This should be good for a gaming laptop, though, which I need. Thank you, Laptop thread!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Hey there goons! I have my new Lenovo y410p, and some questions to go along with it.

1) I can't seem to get anything back into classic view, mainly due to the complete lack of a start button. It has this annoying 'Pokki' bar thing, but that doesn't allow me to switch to classic view. I can get into the desktop like normal, but all the stuff running in the background is annoying.

2) Does anyone else have a recommendation on what bloatware I can uninstall safely?

3) EDIT: Found a solution to the plugged in not charging issue, though it requires downloading another piece of Lenovo Software:

So it turns out the batteries used by Lenovo are not recognized by the Microsoft Battery Compliance software that comes in with Windows 8.1. To get your battery charging again, remove 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery' from the drivers menu, under battery.

After that, find a download for the 'Lenovo Energy Management' software Here, install and restart. You'll find that your battery is stuck in 'conservation mode', which you can now switch off in the maintenance tab.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 20, 2014

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

1) You need to download and install Windows Classic Shell

2) Get an SSD and start fresh

Well, I did that first one. And now I can't do anything on my Lenovo. It loads up to the desktop, but won't load any programs and I can't open any windows. It literally freezes when I try to open up a browser, so I find myself back on my old computer, browsing Amazon for a copy of Windows 7 since no one wants to sell them and the computer shop wants $150 to put it on my computer.

I now need to buy a copy of Windows 7 and see if it'll work. Any hints or tips? Will all my hardware be compatible? Has anyone else had these issues?

Also, can anyone tell me what the recovery steps are for a Lenovo? If I can return it to a baseline, maybe I won't delete that obvious spyware that MaleWareBytes found and maybe my computer will work again.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I've read that you should install the wireless drivers directly from intel's website for the t440 series in order to avoid some wifi issues people have been having - do I need to install it with the proset software or is the driver only version good enough?

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410py510p_ug_english.pdf - page 24 may help

The stuff that came preloaded with my t440p was loving awful, including that pokki start menu (mmm yes I definitely want to check out your app store pokki.) it went unresponsive on me more than once in the first hour as I was gathering what I needed.

After recovering, I do recommend you make yourself a backup image of the drive (or just replace it with an ssd and store the original somewhere safe), copy your windows key from the bios, and just do a clean install with an msdn version of 8.1. I did this on thursday night, and it was wonderful afterwards.

I'm going through the recovery stuff right now, but I've ordered up a copy of Win7, so it'll only be for a couple of days until it arrives. Still, better than nothing.

I honestly think that it was removing Pokki, OptimizerPro and the 90+ files marked as Malware that did it. Ugh, Lenovos are just crammed to the gills with shovelware.

Thanks for the help, though. It's doing a lot better now than it was an hour ago. Or for the past two days.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

I think I'm really starting to regret this Lenovo, guys.

Just got my Win7 Disk, and had to go into the boot menu to restore the disk again, change the security settings, then load up my Win7 Disk. And now the Win7 load screen is frozen again.

I've been working on this thing for a week and I haven't had it going for a solid day yet. Is this normal for these sorts of laptops?

Also, as far as gaming goes, I don't see any marked improvement over my four-year old Asus.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Why didn't you just boot it with the built in recovery and reinstall the OS and then just use add/remove programs to remove the unwanted junk? It seems like you have a lot of abnormal problems. I've rolled out hundreds of Thinkpads and it wasn't like everyone was a complete disaster.

I did that twice so far. And by the end of the day I can't touch anything on the desktop without the computer freezing. Even if I don't install antivirus or other programs.

And now I can't get Windows 7 loaded. Should I send it back to Lenovo and use the Warranty?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yes, your computer is clearly defective. You think that every Thinkpad they send out operates like that?

I don't know, which is why I came here for advice. The only Lenovo computers I've used before were the ones used by the Army, and the only reason I got a Lenovo in the first place was because of the recommendations of this thread.

I'll let Lenovo Support know that I'll send it back, if I can't get Win7 loaded up onto it by tonight.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Unless you specifically need Windows 7, Win8 is better and is what you should be using. I'd just return it, something is wrong with it. Cut your time investment and call them up. I bet you could get them to cross-ship a replacement first.

I don't specifically need it, as the couple hours I had Classic Shell working were fairly easy to use. Removing the shovelware is a different beast entirely.

I'll give them a call tonight, then. Thanks for the advice over the past couple of days.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I reinstalled Windows 8 on my X240 (swapped the HDD out for an SSD) and then installed drivers from Lenovo's site. Took maybe an hour?

I'll probably just stick with the Win7 Disk I just bought instead of buying a new Win8 Disk. Unless there's a way to fresh install it without spending that money.

Just got done with the recovery again.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Search for an msdn version of win8, verify its hash against the version on msdn and make a bootable disc/usb. When you go to install, it will use the win8 key in your bios (but maybe grab that before hand and write it down just in case).

You own win8, this isn't :filez: or anything.

Doing this, currently on the phone with Lenovo to get my product key. And so far I've been bounced around departments because they don't keep a record of it, from what I've been told.

And, no, the key isn't on a sticker on my computer, and key finder programs won't find it or find a non-working version because it's an OEM license. So Microsoft Support suggested I call Lenovo.

EDIT: Found out where my product key is. Directly embedded on the motherboard. With no apparent copies of the number. And I don't trust my own middling knowledge of computers enough to open this thing up and find out where it is for a clean install using the Windows service.

Though they did offer to send me a recovery cd for $20 bucks, because OneKey Recovery has a problem with corrupted files from time to time. So, that might be my issue.

Going to try the Win7 Disc again tomorrow, see if I can format then install my computer with it.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 25, 2014

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Brut posted:

Ok I don't know if you mean physically open or what, but here's how you get the windows 8 bios embedded key:

Download this: http://rweverything.com/download/ (specific link depending on if you have 64/32 bit and if you want the installable or portable version, run the program, on the top bar the 12th button from the left should say "ACPI", click that, go do the "MSDM" tab, scroll down and the bottom row (should say DATA) is your key.

As for when you had classic shell working, did you install classic shell and then upgrade to 8.1? Cuz that breaks it I think, so do the 8.1 upgrade first.

You should return Windows 7 if you still can, Windows 8 is better, by far, even if it's not immediately obvious.

"this key cannot be used to activate a personal copy of Windows 8."

Still, at least you helped me out more than support did. Thanks for that help. Back on my old computer as it froze while I was writing this.

Well, now I have three options concerning my computer: Call up Lenovo and call in my warranty, Call up Lenovo and get their OneKey Recovery CD for $20, or install my copy of Windows 7 and void my warranty, as Support told me it would.

I'm probably going to call in my warranty, as that's the best advice I've received from this thread so far. My case is just one of those really weird ones, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

You might all remember me as the guy complaining about his Lenovo a few weeks back.

Well, I got it sent in on my warranty, and just got it back today. Running fine, and the report said that it had to replace the mainboard as well as reset settings on the computer to repair it. So it should be working fine now. I'll keep you all informed.