Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
If I remember correctly, Vizio is trying to be the PC version of Apple. They're looking to achieve that same quality of hardware and only offer stock Windows installations with their systems (which is part of the reason why they're more expensive, no subsidies). Give them a few years and I think they'll get there. Now the question is whether they'll also provide similar customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Wow, that sucks. I had no idea they made those changes. I haven't looked at their offerings in more than 6 months. Last thing I remember was that their keyboards and touchpads needed work (heh), and battery life was only ok. Hopefully they haven't given up on their ultimate goal.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, that just sounds silly. I'm content with Apple's laptop design and would have no problem with other manufacturers adopting it. Keep it simple, keep it sleek. There's no need to add any extra grooves and poo poo to it. Any changes to the case design should be minimal. Now that external design has been pretty much nailed, I'd rather manufacturers focus on optimizing the internals, screen, keyboard and -- in the case of PC makers -- the goddamned touchpad.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Just be aware that Samsung seems to be prepping an update to their $249 Chromebook, which many would say is the best value. People who have it have mentioned that it's pretty good, but gets a bit sluggish at around 3 to 4 tabs open simultaneously. An update would probably make it the perfect internet machine.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

It's pretty obvious it's just silver

Let's not mince words here, that's not graphite, it's just 1999 era dell crapbox inspiron silver.

Keyboard is black, but it'll only be another year before they figure out how to color match the keyboard with the new 1990's 'vintage' color scheme. People are going to wonder why you can't afford a new laptop and had to buy a wrong-color replacement keyboard.

Why is it so difficult to spend some money and hire someone with good taste? The last thing we need is to regress back to 90s and early 00s color schemes.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Hmm. Learned something new. Well Lenovo should take a hint then. :colbert: But seriously, it really shouldn't matter if it was "boring old black", Lenovo should stick with it and let the body's design speak for itself. No need to try and "wow" the customer by playing with new, hideous colors.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
That L440 looks sexy. It reminds me of the black MacBook.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Doctor Albatross posted:

I bought a 15" Macbook Pro back in 2010(?) with the intention of using it for my film projects and general use. It did the trick just fine and it's still running nicely, but as I'm no longer doing film and will be going to university next year, I'm looking at something lighter and with lesser specs - I feel like I'll be wasting such a laptop if I'm only really using it for taking notes, Netflix and web browsing.

The Chromebook Pixel seems to be an appropriate replacement so far, especially since it seems to be going for the Macbook audience in the first place. Seeing as the swap will be done sometime in December or January, would this probably be a good time to pick one up, or is there something around the corner worth waiting for?

If you're going to spend over $1000 on a laptop, get the MBA. It's lighter and has lesser specs than the Pro (well, it's actually pretty much on par, if I remember correctly) and its OS isn't a glorified web browser. It's the average consumer laptop, if the consumer can afford it. The only downside is no retina screen, but it's otherwise a great computer.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

The Next Web posted:

Acer announces touchscreen Chromebook C720P with 32GB SSD and 2GB RAM, coming in early December for $299.99

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/11/26/acer-announces-touchscreen-chromebook-c720p-32gb-ssd-coming-early-december-299-99/

I gotta admit, I wasn't too high on Chromebooks when they first came out, but ever since the Samsung Chromebook and its praises, and me finally "getting" what Google is trying to do, I'm really considering this option for both myself and my mom. I still need a workhorse computer, but having a Chromebook to carry with me sounds like the perfect solution. You done got me, Google. You done got me.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but here goes:

Surface owners, let me know if this workflow is possible.

Take a picture of a document using office lens app -> save to OneNote -> OCR through OneNote -> copy and paste text to a sub page -> draw circles and poo poo on the imported document itself, if necessary

This would be super helpful for school work if it can be this seamless.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Using the desktop version of OneNote, I just now did "copy text from picture" on a business card and it grabbed the text that was printed perfectly, the hand-written phone number it mostly got. And yeah, you can draw in OneNote on anything. This is on an SP3.

Man, I just got my first MacBook about two years ago and while I love it, from a pure productivity and flexibility standpoint, the Surface line is looking more and more appealing. Granted, I'm gonna be keeping my Mac for at least another year or two, but when the time comes to choose its replacement, it's not gonna be easy. Thanks!

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Are the screens on their business laptops still a loving embarrassment though? And if not, when did they finally start getting better?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

havenwaters posted:

They're an embarrassment unless you buy the IPS upgraded versions.

To compensate for finally offering better screens they started putting shady stuff on the laptops and the trackpad got worse.

Oh yeah, I read about Mr. Fish, alright. I expected that poo poo from Acer or Asus or maybe even Dell (they sorta did, though, didn't they?), but from Lenovo and on their business line of all things? loving incredible.

Calidus posted:

late 2013, early 2014 but it doesn't stop IT directors from being cheap and buying lovely screens.

It's just outright pathetic considering there's a $300 chromebook with a respectable screen out there and yet Lenovo can't be bothered to do that for their $700+ machines without paying a premium.

I'm probably gonna pick up a refurb T-series some time next year just to dick around with, so hopefully I can get one with the better screen.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

scandoslav posted:

I need a laptop for compsci/robotry but I'm very poor. Apparently running ubuntu on a chromebook is a thing that can happen, and other laptops in the $200-$400 pricerange are hot garbage. I don't care about gaming, I just need something that I can carry to and from class (and maybe take outside every now and then), that I can use on my coding quest to become a computerman, and that can set up an ad-hoc wifi network (which I know Ubuntu can do).

Guide me, laptop thread, and forgive me if this poo poo's been covered. There are 444 pages.

If you're ok with buying used/refurbished Vertexpc is a great seller on eBay. Less than 300 bucks for a T430. Upgrade the ram and you should be set, though I have seen some configs with 8 to 16 gigs for around 300. Battery will probably be have to be replaced too but it'll still be more powerful and versatile than a chrome book.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm looking to replace my C720 too, and have my eye on this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOLVPA

I was so happy with the C720 and got so much use out of it, why stray from the same known good brand/model/family.

If you get this, please give your impressions. I have a family member who's looking into Chromebooks and will most likely buy one next month. I told him to keep an eye on the Toshiba Chromebook 2 or the one you posted since they're in his price range.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Here's my Pixel LS connected to an ASUS MB169C+ (amazon.com/gp/product/B01C83BE06), so, native DP-over-Type C:

The Pixel OG of course has a miniDP but only a couple of 2.0 USB ports.

How's this portable monitor working for you btw? Sometimes I like to work in the living room and having a second monitor for reading PDFs and such would be super useful.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks for the info. I might end up selling my old HP 20" that I never use and use the cash to get one of the cheaper DisplayLinks.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Has anyone here ever purchased a replacement battery for their T-series Lenovos from Amazon and been happy with thier purchase?
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-0a36303-Thinkpad-Extended-Compatible/dp/B0085MPGDG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The reviews are a mixed bag, with some people getting great batteries that appear to be genuine OEM, some seem to have gotten fakes that die right after the 30-day warranty, and others just get faulty ones right off the bat. I also checked Lenovo's website to see their prices and they're pretty loving expensive. And on top of that the reviews on their website aren't good for the 9 cells, with reviewers claiming the batteries lose most of their capacity after a year. That's a pretty lovely deal considering how much they cost.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i expect the oem batteries are fine, one of those selection problems: who writes a review of an expensive battery for any reason other than if it disappoints? 1-2 star reviews is what one should expect

no idea on off-brand batteries though, that always seems a murky field with a lot of shoddy stuff, but the price differences are huge enough that it is hard to ignore

Yeah I'm gonna buy from one of the sellers that got good mentions in the review and see how it goes. I'll keep you guys posted.

Rexxed posted:

I bought an Anker replacement for my T420 and it's been fine.

You got me excited for a bit, but turns out they can't make T430 batteries because of a security chip thing newer Lenovos use. I would have totally bought an Anker battery otherwise. :( Doesn't matter anyway since I want a 9 cell and they only seem to offer 6.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
At which model T or X series did Lenovo begin to ship them with decent screens by default? My refurb T430 has been great but the screen has been murder on my eyes. Thankfully it's not my main machine but I use it enough that it becomes a problem after a while.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

movax posted:

I want to say the Tx40 generation was when decent screens came back, at least for the T4xx series.

havenwaters posted:

By default they're still shipping with 1366x768 screens. I think. Maybe the t460s and x1 carbon come with 1920x1080 screens as the low end.

I got really lucky with my T430: high-res screen and 12 GB of RAM for $300. Gonna try and see if I have similar luck in about a year with newer models. I'm alright with getting less ram, but the high res screen has spoiled me and it'd be nice to get an IPS one next time around. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the above models. From my experience, though, carbons run a bit too much for my refurb pricepoint so that's probably out of the picture.

Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Hi guys.

I want to sell my T430 because it’s too big, bulky, and the screen hurts my eyes. I just want something much more portable, ideally 12 inches but 13 would be fine too. This wouldn’t be my main machine, but something I’d carry around when I feel like it. I thought about a Chromebook, but i prefer to have a Windows machine. My T430 is a refurb so I’m okay with buying another refurb. Budget is $400.