Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image
I'm in the market for a new laptop to replace my Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG-somethingsomething. I have been looking at an Acer Aspire V5-573G sporting a 1920x1080 IPS panel, a 4 GB DDR Geforce GT 750M, an i7 4500U and 8 GB of RAM. An alternative configuration has an i5 4200U, but 12 GB of RAM instead.

Now, I will primarily be using it for school and some gaming, but I prefer portable and affordable over powerful and durable.

My first question is: should I go for the i5 version or the i7?

My second question is: is there any way to know when Acer are planning to refresh the V5 line next?

My third question is: are there any obvious alternatives from other brands that I should be checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

DrDork posted:

You're welcome to set your own standards, but the general consensus in this thread is that's a mistake.

Wait. The OP says to pick two of affordable, powerful, durable, portable. What did I get wrong?

quote:

Almost no one seriously needs an i7 laptop.

Alright, I'll take that choice out of the equation then.

quote:

Like most laptop manufacturers, there's little to no warning before refreshes drop. At best you might see some promotional literature accidentally pop up on related websites (like people have been finding for the T440s), but generally no one knows what the gently caress until one day new laptops show up on the store pages.

Depends on how long you're willing to wait. The more weeks you wait, the more your options open up. Similarly, you mention gaming, but how serious are you about it? A simple HD4x00 will suffice for low-powered, older, or indy games. Wanting to run BF4 maxed out is something else entirely.

I won't be buying it until the end of August, so I guess there is that. I am not looking to play BF4 maxed out, but neither am I only looking to play games from five years ago. As it stands now, I play XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Sins of a Solar Empire, Endless Space, Crusader Kings II and Planetside 2, to name a few. I figure a mid-range laptop like the Acer Aspire V5 that I mentioned above should be able to run those on high settings?

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Back in early 2011 I bought a TimelineX 3820TG from Acer. Since then, I have managed to pour about half a liter of water over it and I have dragged it across the Atlantic a few times. It is definitely showing signs of aging and damage and I am looking to buy a replacement. Are there any spiritual successors to the TimelineX series or similar releases from other brands that I should have a look at?

The main thing I liked about the TimelineX was the balance between size (13" screen), battery life and performance (it still runs new games, albeit not on high, but I don't care too much about that).