Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My buddy is looking for a barebones laptop. He would use it mostly for coding (he makes browser based games) and maybe some indie gaming (starbound is likely the most intense thing he will run). I had to talk him down from a 300 dollar office max special, so some help would be appreciated. The laptop will probably never leave his house, so battery life isn't a concern. I doubt he'd spend much more than 600 to 650.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

If he's doing coding then he'll likely want something in the 1600x900 or 1920x1080 range for more vertical pixels. If he's not doing artwork then any quality display will work fine.

Any ivy bridge or haswell laptop will have enough GPU to handle his indie game dreams.

Does anyone besides google make any laptop that's not 16:9 or 16:10? I think Toshiba made a 32:9 briefly for the Japanese market. The Chrome Pixel is 3:2 but that's the only non-widescreen laptop I can think of off the top of my head.

Any specific recommendations?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shymog posted:

Probably the graphics are a non issue. Looks pretty solid and definitely better specs/price/size from what I've seen.

Yeah, the price is using that link. Looks like $70 off ($1199 from the normal site).

Now I just need to flip the Asus G74SX. It's a great laptop but holy crap it's only useful as a "slightly portable desktop replacement" and nothing else.

What would you be looking to get for it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My new boss told me to pick out a work laptop. I have a budget of $1500, and he's ordering direct from Disti (so pricing is a little better).

I won't be doing a ton of travelling, so it doesn't have to be super light. I really want at least a 1080p screen, and since it's a work laptop, I was also interested in having a full numerical keypad. An SSD would be nice, but is definitely not required. The ability to play some games on a long flight or whatever would help, too.

I was looking at the second configuration of this (the $1551.30 one):

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e6540-laptop/pd

His price on that is $1363.27, so it's under budget. I just wanted to get a feel if there was something better out there for my price range.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a new job that has me flying. A lot. I want a laptop that I can use on plane rides to watch movies / play games / keep myself entertained.

Requirements:

Well built
Good screen (1080p minimum, IPS)
Powerful enough to run the kinds of games you can reasonably play on an airplane (think Civ).
Decent SSD. No 120GB crap.
Small enough to actually use on an airplane
Not a Mac

Strong preferences:

Ability to use as a tablet (like a Yoga or a Surface Book)
Keyboard that makes me not want to kill myself
Doesn't burn the gently caress out of my lap

Nice to have:

Lots of storage space for games and movies
You can never have enough RAM
Premium materials (i.e. made of metal)
Numpad for roguelikes.

Budget: <$2000. Prefer under 1500.

I'm leaning towards the surface book i5 with discrete GPU, but wasn't sure, since it's on the high end of my budget. I really do prefer a 2 in 1, just because I see myself using it in tablet mode a lot.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 12, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

What do you plan to do in tablet mode? Including the tablet function is what crippled the Surface Book and prevented it from being an excellent laptop.

The premium non-Apple laptop right now is the Dell XPS 13 or maybe the 15. The 15 is compact for its class but it's still too big for the plane. None of the decent laptops right now have the num pad. I would just buy the XPS 13 and an iPad. It will be like $1600 total for both.

Back when I had a Yoga pro 2, I would play Civ 5 in tablet mode and it was tits. I'm hoping more slow paced games can be used the same way. This is going to mostly be used on an airplane where I'll have zero room, so the ability to not have that keyboard in front is a big deal. Also, the less hardware I can carry (and the lighter it is), the better. I already have a huge work laptop and 2 phones. I also hate trackpads and nipple mice, so even if I didn't get something that can be used as a tablet, touchscreen is practically mandatory.

I found the yoga also works great when lying in bed because I can put it in stand mode on my chest and browse the web without the keyboard jabbing me in the face. I'm in hotels constantly and my "home" is more or less just a small bedroom.

I'm the 0.1% of the population 2 in 1 laptops actually make sense for.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, I have to go to the mall today anyways. I'll stop into a best buy and a Microsoft store to get my hands on some actual hardware. Thanks guys.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LOL at the idea that a normal LAN chipset drops 15% of packets on average.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Oh man, I tried looking for it, maybe they deleted their post? I really want to read this.

The laptop the poster above me linked.

:pcgaming:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Finally got around to buying that laptop since I broke the screen on my junky personal one.

Surfacebook i5 with GPU. Just got delivered, so impressions when I get out of work.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Initial impressions:

It's well packaged. Maybe not quite as well as an Apple product, but close. There's very little, if anything, that feels cheap about the presentation or unboxing.

The laptop itself feels premium. The keys are slightly spongy, but much better than most laptops. I'm spoiled by a mechanical keyboard, so this is pretty drat good praise. Keys maybe feel a little pasticky? Again, much better than 99% of laptops.

I don't like how the screen doesn't tilt back all the way without putting it in stand mode. I'm a tall guy, so I like screens that go all the way back without a hard stop. It also worries me that I might snap it off by pushing on the screen too hard.

The screen flexes much less when being touched than pretty much any other touchscreen laptop I've used.

I haven't played any games yet, but it doesn't feel slow for web browsing or UI interaction. The touch screen is responsive, and the trackpad is surprisingly competent.

Keys are nicely spaced and don't feel cramped. I wouldn't want to type a novel on any laptop, but it's more than good enough for anything else with the possible exception of games (again, haven't played any yet).

Backlighting is a little uneven. Very minor quibble but it takes away from the premium look, IMO.

I wish it had dedicated media and home/end/pgup/pgdn keys instead of a function button. Again, mild quibble.

Windows 10 still doesn't handle scaling perfectly out of the box, which is a shame. The icons on the bottom right are tiny, and so is the time. Might be fixable with tweaks but should really work right on first party hardware without needing to touch it!

Just the right weight. Feels solid without being a burden.

Rubber pads on the bottom are a bit slick and like to slide on smooth surfaces. Really not a big deal.

Feels like an Apple product in all the right ways.

So far, I really like it. I'll have much more informed opinions in a few weeks, but very happy with my purchase so far!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Mine worked out of the box. Might need updates and a restart?

Thanks, I'll mess with it tomorrow.

I did find something that I'm moderately annoyed about, though. The camera points straight out instead of down, slightly. When you're using Skype, you have to either have the camera looking above your head or have the screen tilted down further than I would like it to be.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Snakes in a can posted:

I am thinking of dual booting my xps 13 with the latest ubuntu (since it apparently has full support for the 9350) and windows 10, anyone had any experience doing this?

Not on that particular laptop; but depending on the reason you want to do this, you might not need to.

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/30/ubuntu-on-windows-the-ubuntu-userspace-for-windows-developers/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How so?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only thing I don't like about the hinge is that it doesn't go all the way back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Acer just made the world's dumbest loving laptop.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Best performing gaming laptop for ~$1500? Only thing they care about is performance since it's a desktop replacement.

Edit: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...p?skuId=6448936 ?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 4, 2021