Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I need a laptop for school and gaming. I would say I'd have to lean towards a more affordable and powerful/durable laptop.

The price range is 1000 dollars. A windows machine. I'd rather have a single large (250-500 gig) SSD inside of it. I see a hard disk drive as a hindrance. Other than that I'd like something that can handle modern games without melting. I have no problem with bulk either. When I say affordable and powerful yet durable I'm talking about an affordable and powerful machine that's as reliable and dependable as it can get.

I would like to have this machine around for a while because I guess it's my college computer. My main computer until I build a desktop 4 years or so down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
How much more would I have to put into it to bump up another level?

what about 4th gen cores and DDR3L ram?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 23, 2013

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

So is this a case where I should just wait another couple of months for the next best poo poo to come out?

I think I would be able to go up to 1500. Exactly What kind of improvements would I see?

And to the former question about waiting... is it worth it to wait?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 23, 2013

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

johnny sack posted:

You could perpetually wait and get better and better deals...you just have to buy what's a good price at the time you need it. Of course if you CAN wait, you might as well.

It's not of a perpetual nature. I'd just like to buy at the start of a new generation.

The thing I'm really wondering though is it worth the wait, whatever it may be? How much better is the new hardware?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'm debating between the Lenovo Y500 and Y510p. I want a laptop now but I want haswell also just for the sake of being a tech whore. The Y510 has haswell on it as I understand it.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Now I'm looking at the MSI GT Series GT70 2OC-065US. Is this a good laptop? I was looking at the lenovo y500 but I'm put off by the underwhelming graphics and processor.

code:
Screen Size	17.3 inches
Screen Resolution	1920 x 1080
Max Screen Resolution	1920 x 1080 pixels
Processor	3.2 GHz Intel Core i7-4700MQ
RAM	8 GB DDR3
Memory Speed 	1600 MHz
Hard Drive	1 TB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor	NVIDIA Geforce GTX770M
Graphics Card Ram Size	3000 MB
Wireless Type	802.11bgn
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 	2
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 	3

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

So what is a laptop with basically the same specs that you'd recommend? Kinda want the GTX 770m and the 3ghz dual core (Quad core? All the better).

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 29, 2013

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Game. But I don't want a desktop.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah I really don't care about having to lower settings or anything. And thinking about it more I guess you're right about it being to heavy and unwieldy. Although I do know about traveling weighed down by stuff, 8 pounds ain't poo poo. But I guess I'll just go with the lenovo Y500 and build a new machine before star citizen comes out.

Being able to take it to school is only one part of the mobility factor. I enjoy the idea of being able to set up basically anywhere instantaneously and be able to start gaming right then and there. You can't take your desktop outside on the patio and set it up every time you want to play outside.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

How long would I have to wait for lenovo to put out a laptop that can play ARMA 3, X: Rebirth and Company of Heros 2 comfortably (Rust as well I guess)? Maybe even Star Citizen. If that game turns out good...

I just realized I'm looking at this from the wrong angle. It should be more about the games specifically I want to play rather than getting the best hardware and hoping for the best.

I could care less about having to play it with lowered settings. Just when I say play them comfortably being able to play at a decent frame rate. Also not having to lower options too low so that they hinder gameplay when lowered beyond a certain point(like view distance in the ARMA series)

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 3, 2013