Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What is the thread's consensus on the Lenovo Yoga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

It's not obnoxious at all once you get used to it. I do find that for lap browsing it's better to use it in what's called stand mode, where the keyboard is folded back, like a laptop in reverse, almost. That said, it works perfectly fine as a tablet.

The keyboard is somewhat mushy on it, but other than that, build quality is fantastic. I can pick it up by one corner and carry it around and it doesn't at all feel like it's going to break. As far as battery life, I get 6-7 hours out of it if I'm just listening to music and reading magazines/websites or what have you. It's really really quite light, and unless you're in a dead quiet room you can't hear the fans at all, even under load. The only portion that ever gets a little warm when gaming (or what passes for gaming on a laptop) is the upper left hand corner of the keyboard. The WiFi range isn't anything to write home about, though, so keep that in mind. My only other issue thus far with it has been the service that controls when the keyboard and mouse disable themselves based on screen position broke itself and could only be fixed with a factory reset. The touchpad is surprisingly good for a windows laptop, although you do have to watch it when you move your mouse right, if you swipe from too far to the left it will thing it's the windows gesture to switch windows which can be a pain in the rear end. If anyone has any specific questions about it I'd be happy to answer. I'm still not entirely convinced I'll be keeping mine, though as that Samsung ultra high res one looks amazing and I tend to use my computer more as a laptop than anything else.

Thanks for the quick review. I am just deciding if I really need a laptop that is also a tablet. My t61 finally died, I am just seeing what is out there. X series looks interesting.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

For every day use how small is too small? I was looking at 13 inch ultra books, but maybe i can be ok with a 12 or even an 11? Anyone have experience sizing down? Is 11 just too small resolution wise?

I do some online stream watching and have been fine with a 14 inch screen, but i will probably just start connecting to a tv.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 25, 2013

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Will the Yoga series be available with Haswell at around the same time as the Thinkpad line?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

My wife hates how the keyboard is just sitting there when you fold the yoga back to use it as a tablet.

We're mostly going to use it for word processing and streaming movies away from a power source, so battery life and lightness are the key worries.

Unless you're putting it on a filthy surface, the keyboard is recessed and deactivates when you fold it back.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Any word on when the Yoga pro 2 is suppose to drop with Haswell?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for the Yoga 2 pro response, should've googled harder. Lenovo says the laptop will start at 1099 for the lowest spec, are we expecting that with the B&N link it will be 10-15% less?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I don't remember this being mentioned in the Yoga 2 reviews on various websites, but will there be a good reason to go with athe i7? Or will it just get extra hot for a little performance gain? And will the Yoga 2 ram be self upgradeable?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I don't see anything on Lenovo's own website about it but Bestbuy has been selling a Haswell Yoga 11 for a few weeks now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad...=6#tab=overview

This must be an error or something.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ram is soldered.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I can't seem to make the BN link in the op work, cookie issues, what price is the i5 256gb Yoga 2? I still have friends and family discount from way back when a goon made a lenovo thread and wonder if the prices are the same($1099).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

falz posted:

Track pad is the worst part of it in my opinion. Still tweaking to be done in the Linux side. I only booted in to windows once so I don't recall if it was acceptable there or not.

I think several people said to disable the accidental palm touch thing and it gets exponentially better if using win8. Although since you're using linux you'll just have to play with to get it just right.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Not really sure if there is a thread for 2 in 1 laptops/convertibles, whatever you want to classify them so I'll ask here. Anyone preorder the Yoga Book? The ability to physically write really appeals. I'm worried about running Windows 10 on an atom processor though. Is the android version (with nougat I think) maybe the one to go for web surfing, streaming, taking notes in class and writing an occasional paper?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is there anything wrong with the base model XPS 13? Dell is offering 10% off as well

http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9360-laptop/dncwt5128h

Only 4 gigs of ram, but I'm wondering if I can upgrade it myself?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

.Z. posted:

Nope, XPS 13 ram is soldered to the board.

In what ways would 4gb suck for daily use?

Looks like the 8gig version is $200 more which sounds worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Will there be a big difference between Skylake and Kaby Lake chips besides a little more battery life?