Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
Looking for advice on a laptop for a pre-service teacher, currently studying Masters & doing teaching in varying schools with varying technologies. Currently using a 13" Mid 2012 Macbook Air, but it's getting slower and slower, and the battery less and less reliable. Some schools use Apple exclusively, some supply Thinkpads to the teachers, who then have to carry around VGA cables to connect to the projectors in the classrooms, some other places are HDMI, the teachers exchange notes via email, OneNote and AirDrop depending on the school, so the technology mix is very unpredictable.

Current usage
  • Writing long, long assignments (Office 365)
  • Taking notes during classes and lectures, and observation of classes
  • Standard software like Chrome, Office 365, Acrobat, Adobe Digital Editions
  • iMovie or some other similarly simple software to cut together short videos or cut down longer videos for presentations
  • Making presentations using PowerPoint
  • Looks good

When browsing around at JB HiFi, the poor price performance of the current range of MacBook Airs really didn't sell them. However, the touchscreen & 2in1 options got a lot of attention. The touchscreen was a big selling feature, and a lot of laptops were simply dismissed for not having a touchscreen, or looking really ugly. The ability to use the laptop as a tablet while would be useful. Drawing on the currently displayed screen with a pen, while doing presentations in class would be useful. Mac vs Windows isn't a big issue, but I don't have a good suggestion for an alternative to iMovie. The user isn't very technical, and things like using the Terminal is out of the question. A laptop with just USB-C ports would probably be painful, as the connectivity is so unpredictable.

I'm getting shown ads for Surface Book at $1549 (AUD) https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/microsoft-surface-book-256gb-i5-8gb-ram-microsoft by email, which looks like a decent deal, as it includes the pen, but I'm not sure if that's last generation CPU or something, for it to be so cheap?

Advice appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU