Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm seriously considering grabbing a Thinkpad T-440 or whatever the Haswell version will be called when it comes out. However, I'm pretty worried about heat. I like to use laptops in my lap and I'd prefer if my computer couldn't melt my pants into my skin. Is that something I might have to worry about, or is it impossible to predict how hot a computer will get until people get their grubby hands on it?

I'm trying real hard to resist buying a T-430S right this second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

InstantInfidel posted:

Thinkpad thermals are really good on every model. They move all of the heat to a vent that disposes of it inobtrusuvely. You'll have no problems.

Cool, thanks, that sounds really nice.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

A friend of mine is looking for a new laptop. He's going to use a lot of AutoCAD on it, so he wants a discrete video card to run it as well as possible. I'm telling him to wait for the ThinkPad Haswell refreshes, but I don't know enough about AutoCAD to make a good recommendation. Can anyone here who uses it give me some advice? Does he need a discrete video card, or does he just think he does? His budget is around $1600, but he wouldn't mind spending less (of course).

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

jjttjj posted:

After a month of use I've decided I hate OSX and that this nice rear end hardware isn't worth the premium price. So I'm looking for a new laptop.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about OSX? I'm still trying to decide what laptop to buy and I'm leaning heavily toward a Macbook. Was it just difficulty installing Linux?

I was also looking at the System76 Galago Ultrapro, but I read that the battery life is around 4 hours, and that's a dealbreaker for me.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

jjttjj posted:

Here's just a big list of minor things that annoy me. :siren::spergin::spergin::spergin::siren:

Thanks for the writeup. Most of that won't bother me, but utility apps costing money will probably drive me up a wall if I ever want to use them. I've been using Linux Mint on my desktop for a month or two now, and I'm starting to prefer it to Windows for pretty much everything but gaming. I might just wait for Lenovo to finally put out some 13-inch Thinkpads with Haswell, then get one of those and install Mint on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

I'm helping my mom shop for a new laptop. The most she'll use on it is Word, Excel, and Netflix, but she wants a good screen (not necessarily high res - viewing angles and colors are more important). She wants the laptop to last a long time. Good battery life is a plus. She needs to use reading glasses, so I'm on the fence about getting her something with a 1080p display; I'm afraid she'll have trouble with the smaller text. Ideal size is 14"-15". Basically, the specs aren't as important as build quality and screen quality. A light laptop would also be a bonus.

Her budget is ~$600, and her upper limit is $700 if the laptop is awesome enough. Does anyone have any suggestions, or experiences with people with bad eyesight using 1080 displays? Should expectations be a bit lower to stay in that price range?