Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Alereon posted:

:siren:No more arguing about Apple laptops:siren:

You are allowed to recommend Apple laptops where appropriate. That is a helpful post. Recommending Apple laptops to everyone regardless of their needs is being a fanboy and is NOT making helpful posts. If someone is making posts that are not helpful, report them and do not reply.

In the spirit of this post I have something to contribute:

If you're concerned about cost, don't need a hotrod 3D machine, and don't mind a bit of Craigslist, I'd say consider Apple laptops as for the past 4 years I've been buying a new ~$2000-$2500 MBPs and then selling them a year later for a $200-300 loss.

Instead of looking at a Mac as a huge shitload of money up front, consider it in this light where it becomes a $200 annual fee for the latest and greatest $2k machine every year. Food for thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
It hardly constitutes proof but there's lots of evidence in the Sold auctions section of eBay. It's not a laptop but hell I just sold a 2 year old $600 iPhone 4S literally yesterday for $400, less than a week until Apple reveals their new models!

Take a look if you're interested!

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

QuarkJets posted:

I sold a three year old Galaxy S2 for 75% of its original value, but that doesn't mean that Samsung phones necessarily hold their value any better than HTC or Apple or whatever phones. Don't new Apple products come at a much higher price, so it's not surprising that used versions of these also tend to be more expensive?

Well the S2 didn't come out in the States until September 2011 which is only 2 years ago and not 3, and the prices I'm seeing on eBay today for used models are around $150 for a phone that cost $600 2 years ago, so I'm not sure you're remembering things correctly?

Using Best Buy as a proxy for resale value you can see they'll give you up to $231 for a used 4S but only $78 for a used S2.

But of course this thread is about laptops, so if you're hesitant re Apple pricing you can use the Best Buy trade-in calculator as well as auction sites to get an idea of how much lower your TCO can be with an Apple laptop!