Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm back at Uni this semester and I want to bite the bullet and get a laptop, the main uses would be typing using solidworks 3D and probably LOL at the most graphics intensive, I'm in Australia if that helps, what would be a soild choice as I have no idea what would meet my needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm needing to get a laptop for school and I plan to using it as my main system for doing soildworks 3D, wordprocessing stuff and a bit of gaming, LoL, minecraft, maybe darksouls, I was looking on the Lenovo website and came up with this

ThinkPad T530
Expand allStart Over
Processor:Intel Core i5-3380M Processor
Operating System:Windows 8 64
Display Type:15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
System Graphics:NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory
Total Memory:8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
Keyboard:Keyboard US English
Pointing Device:UltraNav without Fingerprint Reader
Hard Drive:500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Optical Device:DVD-ROM 8x Max Ultrabay Enhanced (clipped Rambo) w/ SW Royalty for Windows 8
System Expansion Slots:Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader & Bezel
Battery:9 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70++
Bluetooth:None
Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters:ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n
Integrated Mobile Broadband:Mobile Broadband upgradable
Microsoft Productivity Software Preload:None
Adobe Elements:None

Wether or not this is over kill for my needs. At aus $2,389 is the money is pay for this good value?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magic Underwear posted:

Myabe I'm not up on Australian pricing but I don't know how any laptop could be worth $2400, let alone one with a platter drive and what seems to be a middling GPU.

Well the same model with a i7-3520m instead in the states comes to US1,394
Got to love :australia: prices

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Seems to be that way :(. I'm looking on msy.com and they have a "gaming laptop" with
4th gen i7-4700mx
Windows 8
16gb of ddr3 ram
128gb SSD + 750GB SATA
nvidia GT 750M with 2gb DDR5
17.3" full hd led screen and a blueray player

GE70-20C-037AU is the model
And all that for 1699

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think I'm going to go with this one
http://msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=10816

4th gen i7-4702
Windows 8
16gb ram
750gb SATA
Gt 740m
15" screen
All for 1149

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well I couldn't help myself and when I got to the shop and seen the 15' model they had only had a lovely screen in it I grabbed the MSI CX70-20D

i7-4702 CPU
gt 740m 2gb ddr3
16gb DDR3 ram
1 TB HDD
17' FHD 1920x1080 non-glare type
blueray player
hd webcam
got it for $1299
and yes i am aware that it is a 17' but so far i have had no issue with the size and there wont be many times i wont be able to have it on a surface other then my legs

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You left off that the HDD is 5400 RPM, the whole thing weighs 6 pounds and only has a 6-cell battery. So enjoy 22 minutes of gaming until you have to plug it in and then trip over the cord and pull it to the floor where it breaks into 43 pieces.

A weight of 6 pounds is nothing to me, even if it was double that I still wouldn't be bothered by the weight. It wont be to far form a power point and if battery life becomes a issue I'll look into getting a bigger battery and as for the last bit yeah OK I'll keep that in mind if I ever lose my ability to work out how to not trip over things :downs:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ok guys could you explain to the idiot what about a MBA is better?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looking over a MBA I can see the attraction in the frame, the super long battery life and the light weight.
but the latest 13' MBA I can get has

1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
4GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide (English)
Accessory Kit

All for $1317

Or a Thinkpad T430 again nice frame, light weight and long battery life

i5-3230M Processor (3.20GHz, 3MB Cache, 1600MHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4000
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable 8x Max, Dual Layer, Ultrabay Enhanced w/ SW Royalty for Windows 8
Battery:6 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70+

all for the pricy sum of $1424 WITH a $200 ecoupon

to get better specs they both would cost allot more

While mine for $1299 has;

i7-4702 CPU - Thats a quad core
Gforce gt 740m 2gb ddr3
17' 1920x1080 full HD non-glare type - far as i can tell the screen looks fantastic and smooth
16gb DDR3 ram
1 TB HDD
and a blue-ray player - nether of the others come with one

While the MBA and Thinkpad smash out my laptop in terms of battery life and weight, nether are things that I am worried about, CPU, GPU, ram and HDD space (albeit on a 5200RPM drive i will admit) , I'm sure I could find a 9 cell battery to increase the battery life, but needing a long battery life wasn't something I needed. Levono price gouge here in AUS (40-60% price mark up) so i have no interest in being ripped off.

I hate the OS on macs, and i would rather stick to windows because my main intention for the laptop is to learn to use and practice Solidworks and refine my skills with AutoCAD too along with word processing stuff. Games and movies are just things that i may do on my downtime while at uni. And looking at benchmarks for the HD5000 and the GT740M the latter comes out ahead.

Taking out weight/size ( not a issue for me), battery life (again not a issue for me) and the RPM speed of the HDD (If and when that becomes a problem i can change it for a 7500RPM HDD or a SSD or even see how a RAMchache would go seeing how i have 16GB of ram) What about this laptop warrants such a reaction that some people have shown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ha well a pity I didn't know about that website, ah well i doubt I could return this thing so I'll make the most of what I have :)